Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in the sticks.   My Sheriff’s Office may have around 8 guys on duty weekdays between 8-5.  That includes the sheriff.  Most of them hang out around the county seat.  

We have one city in our county wide a full time police department with maybe 6 officers on duty weekdays 8-5.  

We have 2 State Troopers for several counties.   The one that focuses on our county goes off duty around midnight.  

After around 10 PM we max have 5 LEOs for the entire county with 2 being in the one city unless requested.   1 is a trooper who’s hours vary.  

After midnight, I have 2 deputies on duty cover a county spanning about 80 miles long and maybe 40 wide.  

We are covered by volunteer fireman and contract EMS.  

After around 7 PM you are on your own for minimum 30 minutes depending on 911 call.  Dispatch has 1 person on duty always with about 3 lines available

This is one of the many reasons I carry always.

What do y’all have available.
View Quote

Each district except the 8th (French Quarter,) will typically have 3-5 officers, a sergeant or 2, and 1-3 detectives on duty at any given time.

You are your own 1st responder.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The local police claim they're understaffed. I've been pulled over three times.
View Quote

You've just moved there, and you've been pulled over three times?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Patrol shifts at my agency is comprised of 6 officers, a sergeant and a lieutenant. By call volume it could be double that and we'd still be busy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
They keep an eye on things.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WTF does your location have to do with 24 hour coverage? Does the clock spin differently down there?
View Quote

Screen name does not check
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Went a few years in my little town with NO police. Kinda nice but had to cancel my alarm monitoring because nobody ever shows up. One time a statie showed up 2 days after the alarm went out. Town just hired ONE cop and all’s him chief…chief of what?? I don’t leave my house a lot and don’t travel so I’m the alarm system now. You try to break in? I SSS.  I have a nice little Kubota with a backhoe…??
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been years since I've seen a cop in my neighborhood. The last time I did, he was lost. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
When I retire, I'm building a house on Washington island WI. I already own the land. One cop on 1st shift and one on 2nd shift. Perfect place to retire.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Our drive is .8 tenths of a mile from the highway. I live 10 miles from the county courthouse in town. The police station is across the street. There are 2-3 on duty at any time. In the six years I have lived here, I have met two one time. On occasion I see their patrol cars sitting at a speed trap. I think they set it up to break the boredom. Their favorite thing to do is bust methheads. Most are repeat offenders. Have at it guys. I will be the last to complain if you shoot their dog while their house burns. If it wasn't for them we would be almost crime free. They account for about 70% of related crimes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Besides the FBI guys listening and monitoring everything I do?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Went a few years in my little town with NO police. Kinda nice but had to cancel my alarm monitoring because nobody ever shows up. One time a statie showed up 2 days after the alarm went out. Town just hired ONE cop and all’s him chief…chief of what?? I don’t leave my house a lot and don’t travel so I’m the alarm system now. You try to break in? I SSS.  I have a nice little Kubota with a backhoe…??
View Quote

When I lived in Emerado, ND in the late 70s, the mayor was the Police Chief, Fire Marshal, and Justice of the Peace as well. It was located right next to Grand Forks  AFB. I think half the population lived in a trailer park. The main businesses were three bars and the city's main source of income was fines for drunk behavior. I heard a story about a young airman who had more than he should of and the bartender told him to leave. He got less than a mile and was pulled over by the Police Chief who strangely resembled the bartender. He wrote him a ticket and a court date with the Justice of the Peace the next morning. The Airman showed up and low and behold the Justice also looked like the Bartender. He was fined a large sum and demanded to see the mayor. The Justice turned his title name card around. It said, "Mayor." While I was there, newcomers were often briefed not to screw around in Emerado.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
tonight  it should be 3 deputies for 2,436 sq miles.

there may or may not be a state trooper or two on i5 or hwy 12.

the two cities have a few cops.
View Quote

3 deputies for 50 miles x 50 miles?  That sounds insane

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Live in town but in the sticks.

Maybe 1 cop car a week, maybe not.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
About zero.

When I met with the Sheriff during his election last year he asked where I lived and when I told him he said "you know, there's no law up there".

The county has for deputies but 4 are SROs and only 2 on patrol. State will run the main roads…sometimes and there is a 3 man PD in the county seat but they're within that city limits and are pretty much relegated to writing speeding tickets to those out of towners that don't know to set their cruise control in town limits.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I lived in Emerado, ND in the late 70s, the mayor was the Police Chief, Fire Marshal, and Justice of the Peace as well. It was located right next to Grand Forks  AFB. I think half the population lived in a trailer park. The main businesses were three bars and the city's main source of income was fines for drunk behavior. I heard a story about a young airman who had more than he should of and the bartender told him to leave. He got less than a mile and was pulled over by the Police Chief who strangely resembled the bartender. He wrote him a ticket and a court date with the Justice of the Peace the next morning. The Airman showed up and low and behold the Justice also looked like the Bartender. He was fined a large sum and demanded to see the mayor. The Justice turned his title name card around. It said, "Mayor." While I was there, newcomers were often briefed not to screw around in Emerado.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some shit straight out of a cartoon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#16]
166 sworn officers for 49 square miles of city limits.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Next to nothing, big county, no locals. Always armed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The county usually runs with three deputies plus a supervisor
The state police will run with 3-4 people unless they get bounced all over the state.
State park police usually have one or two on in the summer but they could be anywhere in several counties
State En Con one or two guys on but spread pretty thin
The four village PDs will have one on but not all of them run 24/7 coverage
The community college usually has a couple of bodies per shift
Cornell has a ton of guys. I think they run at least a half dozen per shift but they're limited on what they'll get involved with.
The private college on the other hill has a couple of guys on per shift but won't leave campus unless the world is ending
The city PD is running at half strength so it's around three plus a supervisor.
Pretty much everyone relies on everyone else for help and backup. No other way to get the work done. The whole county is spread way too thin
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Suburb policed by the nearest city's PD. So, not very good. I called them last year when I saw someone trying to break into my neighbor's car at 2:30 in the morning. They never showed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My old PD would have minimum 7 patrol, 1 K9, and 2 supervisors per shift, the PD where I live now (3 blocks away) is 4 cars and 1 supervisor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Our Sheriff said don't call us unless he's dead.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have local small town Leo everywhere.  About two minute response times.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top