Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

If you're staying on the west end, your beach access/parking is likely going to be South Beach/Tower Beach Club.  When you head out the boardwalk to the beach, if you turn right it peters out.  If you turn left, the beach gets empty and you have a lot of room.  That stretch stays mostly empty until you get up around the villas and vacation condos near Coligny Circle.  That's a couple miles of relative quiet.
View Quote

Ok i'll plan on doing that portion of the beach. Would rather not be at one of those packed beaches
Quoted:
Our greens superintendent worked at Augusta.  He’s amazing and our grass has never been so good.
View Quote

I bet so. I didn't realize that they seeded every fall for the tournament and then it is bermuda during the regular season. I'm pretty serious into my bermuda lawn, so I appreciate the turf aspect of things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unless you golf, like to ride rental bikes around with hundreds of others on bike paths, not much to do.  We went last year on the same weekend as the big golf event for a continuing Ed conference for my wife.  Other than sitting around the resort and getting drunk, place was boring.  
We hit a few “antique” and second hand stores.  I guess a lot of others were bored as well because those places were packed.
View Quote

We golf quite a bit at home. I just got back from a round actually. That said, trying to keep golf to a minimum (the Master's round and we will play one round there). I was worried about it being too packed everywhere but apparently we are going during a slower season

Quoted:
I first moved there when there were 2 traffic circles and 2 red lights.

Now there are a shitload of each.

Back in the early 80s, Jim's Paradise was the place, you could just walk into the men's room and get a line of coke from just about anyone in there.

Ahhh,..the good old days.

Mike Clark, drummer from The Byrds, owned a locals bar that we hung out in.
View Quote

Probably going to skip the coke for this one. Pretty crazy how big everything has gotten there, I'm sure.

Quoted:
Yea I'd be fishing.
View Quote

I would love to fish, but already push my luck here. Usually fish at least one afternoon a week and quite a few weekends too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be doing the Master's ticket flex in the new golf forum.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My parents live in Bluffton and we go there every year for 4th if July.  If you have the chance, go eat at Cahill's.  It's a local place off the beaten path (off island).  Everything is farm to table.  It's not fancy, but damn it's good.  We try to go twice when we visit.  

You can also check out the Tanger outlets to score some good deals on clothing/shoes/etc (also off island)

On island if you want a beach, try Burke's Beach.  It won't be nearly as crazy as Coligny.  

Also swing into Cookout for a shake. Peanut butter fudge is family favorite.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They let Civilians on Parris Island??
View Quote

Never got an award for pistol.

I was at MCRD or Pendleton back in ‘08 for an educator workshop. Got to shoot the simulator.

It was fun, for the pistol range, one of the Marines asked if I needed a tutorial, told him, “thanks but I got it..”

Started shooting, all shots were hitting COM and head shots.

Ran 2-3 mags through it and the room got quieter, heads started to turn over, granted, these are teachers so not much to talk about.

Got done. Stopped for a second, looked around and the entire room was watching me. A major and a colonel were watching and smiled.

2 young Marines pushed some teachers aside and said, we got this…they shot 1/2 a mag, shot like shit, and moved away from the line.

A few people in the room said, “Damn”

As I passed the officers, the Major gave me a nod.

I don’t shoot competition, I’m sure many can beat me but at the range, I only met 1 other person who could outshoot me with a pistol, he won awards in the Army pistol competition.

So I’m no Jerry Miculek by any stretch but I’m also not a slack jawed basement dweller.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Bike along the beach
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in the Old Town area of Bluffton right now, and I’ve lived in this area for 25 years. Here’s my lists.

Things to do/see:

Coligny Beach/Coligny Plaza
Lawton Stables
Moss Creek Stables
Harbourtown Marina
Shelter Cove Marina
South Beach Marina
Veterans’ Park at Shelter Cove
Freeport on Daufuskie Island
Old Sheldon Church Ruins
Old Town Bluffton
Bluffton Farmers’ Market (Thursdays)
Church of the Cross and Wright Family Park
Wilson Village in Palmetto Bluff
Hunting Island State Park

Places to eat:

Bullies BBQ
Forrest Fire BBQ
Southern Coney
Black Marlin
Java Burrito
Local Pie
Hinoki
Ruan Thai
Scott’s Fish Market
Chophouse 119
Poseidon
Santa Fe Cafe
Olive & Fig
Bluffton BBQ
Cahill’s
Squat & Gobble
Nectar
Captain Woody’s
Butcher’s Deli

If you visit Beaufort, Q on Bay has great BBQ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Shelter Cove has a nice fireworks show on Tuesday nights
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Try the shrimp 'n' grits.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live in the Old Town area of Bluffton right now, and I’ve lived in this area for 25 years. Here’s my lists.

Things to do/see:

Coligny Beach/Coligny Plaza
Lawton Stables
Moss Creek Stables
Harbourtown Marina
Shelter Cove Marina
South Beach Marina
Veterans’ Park at Shelter Cove
Freeport on Daufuskie Island
Old Sheldon Church Ruins
Old Town Bluffton
Bluffton Farmers’ Market (Thursdays)
Church of the Cross and Wright Family Park
Wilson Village in Palmetto Bluff
Hunting Island State Park

Places to eat:

Bullies BBQ
Forrest Fire BBQ
Southern Coney
Black Marlin
Java Burrito
Local Pie
Hinoki
Ruan Thai
Scott’s Fish Market
Chophouse 119
Poseidon
Santa Fe Cafe
Olive & Fig
Bluffton BBQ
Cahill’s
Squat & Gobble
Nectar
Captain Woody’s
Butcher’s Deli

If you visit Beaufort, Q on Bay has great BBQ.
View Quote

Wow, awesome list. Any specific highlights that stand out over the others ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, awesome list. Any specific highlights that stand out over the others ?
View Quote

Sure

Coligny Beach/Coligny Plaza - very touristy, packed with people, Tiki Hut bar is very popular. It’s not for me because I hate crowds
Lawton Stables- very pretty, fun petting zoo for the kids, nice stop on the way to Harbourtown
Moss Creek Stables - more rider-friendly, no petting zoo
Harbourtown Marina - shops and tourists
Shelter Cove Marina - Tuesday night fireworks show, multiple restaurants on the marina
South Beach Marina - Salty Dog Cafe, super touristy
Veterans’ Park at Shelter Cove - nice park with long creek views and great playground
Freeport on Daufuskie Island - fun drinking spot, live music on the water
Old Sheldon Church Ruins - beautiful historic site, a bit of a ride for. The island
Old Town Bluffton - historic town, pretty, great place to walk and check out the old homes
Bluffton Farmers’ Market (Thursdays) - great food options, some alcohol, fresh meats, veggies, dairy, and bread. I live next door and eat lunch there in the park every Thursday
Church of the Cross and Wright Family Park - my church, overlooks the river and is a historic site, next to a beautiful park with long view of the river.
Wilson Village in Palmetto Bluff - a little out of the way but really pretty
Hunting Island State Park - Lowcountry nature is something to behold. I like the ride there as much as the park. Some people swim there. I don’t.

Places to eat:

Bullies BBQ - nothing fancy, but good BBQ. My favorite collards
Forrest Fire BBQ - in Coligny. Also good. Tasty collards. Close call to Bullies.
Southern Coney - everything made from scratch. Great breakfast. Tourists know about it now, so you’ll wait
Black Marlin - tuna nachos
Java Burrito - best tacos and burritos around. All small batch cooking and sourced locally. Also, nobody has better bacon. Sometimes I just order a few sticks of bacon and get a pretty damned good coffee for breakfast.
Local Pie - very good pizza.
Hinoki - if you want sushi and/or hibachi, make a reservation here
Ruan Thai - it’s delicious and the staff are super
Scott’s Fish Market - excellent seafood spot, somewhat touristy
Chophouse 119 - great steaks, but come prepared to spend a lot. I designed the outdoor bar here.
Poseidon - popular seafood restaurant, very touristy. Consistently good
Santa Fe Cafe - one of my favorites. Get the cowboy cut ribeye.
Olive & Fig - Mediterranean just off island by Moss Creek. Delicious
Bluffton BBQ - another good choice. It’s in Old Town
Cahill’s - nothing fancy here. Just good southern cooking. Go for breakfast, but go early
Squat & Gobble - I go here for breakfast a lot. Country fried steak and eggs are my go to.
Nectar - southern cooking, a little fancier food. My kids love it
Captain Woody’s - just a good spot to hang out and have a beer and some simple seafood
Butcher’s Deli - the place to go for excellent cuts of meat if you intend to cook a meal. They have a small kitchen that makes top notch dishes for lunch service.

There’s also the Fish Camp, but they are usually super busy, so if you aren’t committed to going and make a reservation well in advance, you might as well forget about it. We built a second location in Port Royal (Beaufort), and it’s much bigger, but it’s a ride.

I strongly suggest you look these up on the internet and see what appeals to you. I can then give you a bit more guidance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Per the gators. They are friendly
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to go out on a boat and look for sharks, you need to call Chip Michalove, AKA “The Shark Whisperer”. He’s super cool and good at what he does.

There are helicopter tours available, if you’re into that. Lots of options and wide fee range.

Don’t feed the animals, and don’t go near the edge of any brown water, especially with kids or dogs. Alligators are extremely quick, and they can easily outrun you, your kids, and your pets, and alligators will fuck you up. Admire them from a distance while they are getting some sun, snap some pics, and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure

Coligny Beach/Coligny Plaza - very touristy, packed with people, Tiki Hut bar is very popular. It’s not for me because I hate crowds
Lawton Stables- very pretty, fun petting zoo for the kids, nice stop on the way to Harbourtown
Moss Creek Stables - more rider-friendly, no petting zoo
Harbourtown Marina - shops and tourists
Shelter Cove Marina - Tuesday night fireworks show, multiple restaurants on the marina
South Beach Marina - Salty Dog Cafe, super touristy
Veterans’ Park at Shelter Cove - nice park with long creek views and great playground
Freeport on Daufuskie Island - fun drinking spot, live music on the water
Old Sheldon Church Ruins - beautiful historic site, a bit of a ride for. The island
Old Town Bluffton - historic town, pretty, great place to walk and check out the old homes
Bluffton Farmers’ Market (Thursdays) - great food options, some alcohol, fresh meats, veggies, dairy, and bread. I live next door and eat lunch there in the park every Thursday
Church of the Cross and Wright Family Park - my church, overlooks the river and is a historic site, next to a beautiful park with long view of the river.
Wilson Village in Palmetto Bluff - a little out of the way but really pretty
Hunting Island State Park - Lowcountry nature is something to behold. I like the ride there as much as the park. Some people swim there. I don’t.

Places to eat:

Bullies BBQ - nothing fancy, but good BBQ. My favorite collards
Forrest Fire BBQ - in Coligny. Also good. Tasty collards. Close call to Bullies.
Southern Coney - everything made from scratch. Great breakfast. Tourists know about it now, so you’ll wait
Black Marlin - tuna nachos
Java Burrito - best tacos and burritos around. All small batch cooking and sourced locally. Also, nobody has better bacon. Sometimes I just order a few sticks of bacon and get a pretty damned good coffee for breakfast.
Local Pie - very good pizza.
Hinoki - if you want sushi and/or hibachi, make a reservation here
Ruan Thai - it’s delicious and the staff are super
Scott’s Fish Market - excellent seafood spot, somewhat touristy
Chophouse 119 - great steaks, but come prepared to spend a lot. I designed the outdoor bar here.
Poseidon - popular seafood restaurant, very touristy. Consistently good
Santa Fe Cafe - one of my favorites. Get the cowboy cut ribeye.
Olive & Fig - Mediterranean just off island by Moss Creek. Delicious
Bluffton BBQ - another good choice. It’s in Old Town
Cahill’s - nothing fancy here. Just good southern cooking. Go for breakfast, but go early
Squat & Gobble - I go here for breakfast a lot. Country fried steak and eggs are my go to.
Nectar - southern cooking, a little fancier food. My kids love it
Captain Woody’s - just a good spot to hang out and have a beer and some simple seafood
Butcher’s Deli - the place to go for excellent cuts of meat if you intend to cook a meal. They have a small kitchen that makes top notch dishes for lunch service.

There’s also the Fish Camp, but they are usually super busy, so if you aren’t committed to going and make a reservation well in advance, you might as well forget about it. We built a second location in Port Royal (Beaufort), and it’s much bigger, but it’s a ride.

I strongly suggest you look these up on the internet and see what appeals to you. I can then give you a bit more guidance.
View Quote

Wow, I just meant to highlight a few of your favorite places to eat or stuff to do haha. That helps even more though, and I can go though the options with everyone else. Thanks!

Quoted:
Per the gators. They are friendly
View Quote

Quoted:
If you want to go out on a boat and look for sharks, you need to call Chip Michalove, AKA “The Shark Whisperer”. He’s super cool and good at what he does.

There are helicopter tours available, if you’re into that. Lots of options and wide fee range.

Don’t feed the animals, and don’t go near the edge of any brown water, especially with kids or dogs. Alligators are extremely quick, and they can easily outrun you, your kids, and your pets, and alligators will fuck you up. Admire them from a distance while they are getting some sun, snap some pics, and leave it at that.
View Quote

We live in Louisiana, and have a fishing camp within a few miles of where most of "Swamp People" was filmed. Elizabeth had a duck camp next to our marsh camp. If there's anything I know, it's alligators.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live in the Old Town area of Bluffton right now, and I've lived in this area for 25 years. Here's my lists.
View Quote
Howdy part time neighbor
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Daufuskie island is worth burning a day. Rent a golf cart and bomb around all day.
View Quote

A day on Daufuskie Island can be relaxing fun.  You ferry there from Hilton Head.  No cars allowed, except for a few residents.
There's a little shack diner called Marshside Mama's that has amazing seafood.  Reservation required.  Ask them how to get there, since you won't have a car.

Daufuskie was an Indigo plantation, and has a lot of historical Geechie/Gullah history that's been preserved by the locals.
Bloody Point Lighthouse is a nice visit.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lived there FT for 6 years

Good food-

Santa Fe
Quarterdeck
Giuseppes pizza
Skull Creek or Hudson's
Old oyster factory
Palmetto Bay

Feel free to message me if you want more first hand knowledge.
View Quote

I loved the Old Oyster Factory when I went there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Port Royal Sound is a huge breeding ground for tiger sharks; if a shark attack is on your bucket list you could knock that out.

Or hit the Union Mission in Savannah, watch the bum fights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Hudson’s seafood. It’s my one destination every time I go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
SCUBA, I found a ton of shark teeth SCUBA diving.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Best restaurant on the island, get there early before they run out of conch fritters

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow, I just meant to highlight a few of your favorite places to eat or stuff to do haha. That helps even more though, and I can go though the options with everyone else. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You’re welcome. Glad I could help.

We live in Louisiana, and have a fishing camp within a few miles of where most of "Swamp People" was filmed. Elizabeth had a duck camp next to our marsh camp. If there's anything I know, it's alligators.

Most of our visitors are from NY/NJ/CT/OH/PA, so they’re generally clueless about alligators. I’ve seen tourists do some really dumb shit around alligators, so I try to warn people as a general rule.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Howdy part time neighbor
View Quote

Hey there
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Best restaurant on the island, get there early before they run out of conch fritters

https://mamaliciouseats.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/seashack2.jpg
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/7a-6.jpg
View Quote

lol the Sea Shack line.

Pro tip:  Look up what time they start taking phone orders and call in RIGHT THEN.  There is usually a window of opportunity before they get backed up and stop answering.  You can then waltz in right past that line, pay, and go home to enjoy your meal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We built a second location in Port Royal (Beaufort), and it’s much bigger, but it’s a ride.
View Quote

We?

Port royal location took over the old dockside location, didn’t it?  Great location, and shell ring brewery next door is a great hang out spot. Good beer too

@DaveJRSC
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol the Sea Shack line.

Pro tip:  Look up what time they start taking phone orders and call in RIGHT THEN.  There is usually a window of opportunity before they get backed up and stop answering.  You can then waltz in right past that line, pay, and go home to enjoy your meal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://mamaliciouseats.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/seashack2.jpg
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/7a-6.jpg

lol the Sea Shack line.

I've been in that line before, lol.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Get some Hilton head?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Not much to see on Parris Island besides the museum and the interesting historical sights on the south edge of the island near the golf course. Otherwise, you'll just see recruits getting screamed at by DI's.

I know you said non golf related, but the PI golf course is amazing and worth playing if you wanted to.

Beaufort is a cool town. Best places to eat imo are old bull tavern for dinner and sandwiches at Alvin Ord's which are amazing. I've found the seafood places are better in Bluffton and Hilton Head. A lot of Forrest Gump scenes were filmed there if you are into that. Hunting Island state park is a great place for a beach day.

Highly recommend going to Rhett Gallery in downtown Beaufort. It's a combination gun shop/art gallery. There's some really cool and historical artwork there. Also he's usually got some cool guns for sale. Owner is great and I've bought and sold some gun stuff to him in the past.

Fort Pulaski is a really cool place to check out. It's really the first place rifled cannons were used successfully. Interesting history there

Good redfish and speckled sea trout fishing all around that area. The tidal creeks through Hilton Head are usually really productive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Seapines forest preserve is nice to walk through.  The lighthouse is also fun, especially for kids.  

Wormsloe in Savannah is really cool.  Neat history, as well as the iconic row of Live Oaks.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, now we’re thinking about golfing. We’re staying at Sea Pines, so a few courses allow us access. Any recommendations on courses that we can actually play?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top