User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Intermediate Accounting, econometrics, Game Theory
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
C/C++

Got a 75 on first test, 75 on 2nd test. Was working ~60 hours a week, commuting 5-10 hours and taking another class, forget what it was. Instructor said if we were happy with our grade, we could bail on the final, but if we took the final, it wouldn't hurt us. He and most of the class were surprised when I closed my books, and walked outta there. It was nice getting a little more sleep.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Calculus or physics.
View Quote
Or both in my case.  I needed three quarters of clac and 3 of physics.  The math lined up as prereqs for physics, whoch was cool until they reorganized Math 3 from calculus to stastics.

Physics 3 was fun.  I literally answered a test on the final "Since the restructuring of the pre req math courses, we never covered this, and I have no idea what you're even asking me to do."
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Recess
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Data Structures.  Discrete Math  a distant second but even that was HAF.  C's get degrees!
View Quote
Oh yeah, I *hated* discrete math.  Data structures wasn't that hard to me though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Senior level probability and sadisti... er, statistics for engineers.  Required for EE degree.

First exam: low grade in the class 0%, high grade 20%.  I got a whopping 12% which was the second highest grade in the class.  The day after the exam was returned half the class dropped out.

Second exam: low grade 0%, high grade 15%, I ended up with a 10%.  Half of the remaining students didn't come back.

Thank the good lord above for curves, I toughed it out and got a B.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Electrical Power Systems...
<--- Manufacturing Engineering
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Calc 2 was hard. The second semester of O Chem was tough. Business law and tax accounting were difficult, until I stopped thinking rationally about it and just memorized the rules. Then they were easy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Dynamics: 6 equations, 6 unknown variables. Professor always had the biggest test of the year the Monday after the craziest party week of the year: VEISHEA. DiffEq sucked ass as well. Structural Steel Analysis was not so much fun either. Ended up with an A- in that one though.

Turns out much of it really wasn’t that bad if you actually went to class, studied, and didn’t drink and smoke half the week.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Business Statistics
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Biz Calc, I suck at math.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much all my accounting classes.

Federal taxation comes to mind as most difficult.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thermodynamics
View Quote
This.   Absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Probability and Statistics
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I forget the actual title of the course, but it was ionizing radiation and its effects on biological systems.  No shit 16+ hours of homework per week and harder than hell, JUST FOR THAT CLASS.  I think I was taking six or seven classes that semester, it was fucking awful.  My advisor referred to it as the GPA killer and I just got shivers thinking about it twelve years after the fact.  It was harder than every other class I ever took, including graduate school.  Fuck that noise radiation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Senior level probability and sadisti... er, statistics for engineers.  Required for EE degree.

First exam: low grade in the class 0%, high grade 20%.  I got a whopping 12% which was the second highest grade in the class.  The day after the exam was returned half the class dropped out.

Second exam: low grade 0%, high grade 15%, I ended up with a 10%.  Half of the remaining students didn't come back.

Thank the good lord above for curves, I toughed it out and got a B.
View Quote
My circuits 2 class was like that for my ME.  Taught by a Chinese grad student that couldn't really speak engrish.  I ended up somewhere in the 30% range and a low B.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
DiffEq. My lifetime DE average is an F. Two Incompletes, an F and a B.

(0 + 0 + 0 + 3)/4 = 0.75 = Eff Me.

I was happier to get that B than any of the As I ever got.
View Quote
^^^This

FDE
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
Don't drop your stack of cards walking into the computer lab....LOL
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Circuits. Fucking hated it.

Calc 2 took me two tries, but somehow everything clicked during Diff-Eq and I walked out with a B without much frustration.
View Quote
At NDSU, they call it Calc 2 cause you take it twice

Actually calc 2 wasn't that hard...understanding the Russian instructors and TAs, on the other hand  (This was a generation ago...it's probably Indians or something by now)
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually calc 2 wasn't that hard...understanding the Russian instructors and TAs, on the other hand  (This was a generation ago...it's probably Indians or something by now)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calc 2 took me two tries, but somehow everything clicked during Diff-Eq and I walked out with a B without much frustration.

There are at least 3 NDSU grads posting in this thread...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Thermodynamics

Took it three times to get my required C.

F’n hated that class and every one of the pretentious cocksucking asshat motherfuckers that taught it.  May fuck be forever upon them and their heirs...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Engineering physics and it's not even close. Ever scored a 35% on a test? Ever been average with that score?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Engineering physics and it's not even close. Ever scored a 35% on a test? Ever been average with that score?
View Quote
Been there...   engineering was a bitch.  I remember once getting a test back and I got a 9.  A 9/100... the average wasn’t much better
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Econometrics and Advanced Algebra. I had such a poor math background that learning algebra at 22 took pretty much all the available brain power I could marshal. After that it was like everything clicked and the other math/statistics/economics classes were easy until I got to Econometrics. Passing that required probably 10-15 hours of work on my own outside of class sessions to understand and be able to apply the material we were learning to the end of term project. Very difficult but I passed with a grade near the top of the class and was very happy with the result of my effort.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#25]
P chem... instructor was a near incomprehensible polish woman...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Business law taught by a local lawyer who I had known most of my life. In 16 years of teaching the class, only four students had received As. Even with the notes from one of the A students, I worked my ass off to get a B. I was prouder of that B than any of the As I ever received.
View Quote
Business Law I and II were the most interesting classes I've ever taken.

Not difficult (where I took them).  Just damn interesting.  Great instructor as well.  Every other class paled in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Engineering calculus and I have never once used t post college
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
I took it in high school, then breezed thru it in freshman engineering. Got lucky we had a teacher that wanted to try it and and was willing to drive 80miles round trip each week to a college nearby to run our programs. Typed our IBM cards at the local telephone company.

I betcha I'm older
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Biz calc and stats were rough, but I haz the dumb and dropped out of ME to business lol.

I thought I liked physics until I took a 200 level class. 213 maybe? That wrecked my shit. I did pass but only with a tutor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Real Variables

Comp sci major
Math minor

This shit was proving calculus.

One of the concepts was epislon, the value closest to being zero without being zero.

The class (6 people) went out for drinks with the professor after the final. I said "please, give me an epsilon!". I got a D in the course, lowest I ever got in college!!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I'm assuming Real_PhilBert is an NDSU grad (does anyone seriously go to UND for engineering )  If you're upper 30s or low 40s, we probably have friends of friends.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Graduate level neuroanatomy, taken my last quarter of my senior year. Had already been accepted to med school. Had to pass this class to graduate, or no med school. I've never been so happy in my whole life to get a C+.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
cal 1-3 and diff eq were easy, idk, it just made sense to me

o chem 1 was a cake walk and 2 was pretty challenging along with engineering pchem

heat transfer was easy and mass transport phenomena wasn't terrible

thermo 2 though.... Jesus fucking christ no class ever whipped my ass like thermo 2. shitty prof didn't help but man that shit was hard
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#34]
African American literature.

That was one tough mofo.  I almost walked out 500 times and said fuck it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Been there...   engineering was a bitch.  I remember once getting a test back and I got a 9.  A 9/100... the average wasn’t much better
View Quote
You know what I'm talking about. I'm the guy that never studied and aced all the tests. Not in that class.

ETA Up to that point I had never felt like such an idiot in my life. That was 20+ years ago. New standards for idiot have been set and reset many times since.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#36]
For volume of work, Business Policy (Strategic Management).

For difficulty of material, Topology (300 level math class that is just a bunch of proofs).
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Data Structures.  Discrete Math  a distant second but even that was HAF.  C's get degrees!
View Quote
Discrete math whooped my ass and I had to work for that C. I will not be trying to count cards in Las Vegas any time soon. ??
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, its a tossup;

"Thermogodamics": got an A but studied my ass off. After that I decided I didn't want to deal with steam tables and phase changes ever again and changed from Mech Engr to Elect Engr.

Partial Differential Equations: Memorized solution to 8 problems - what the prof said we should do. Prof was kind of a prick. Wasn't fun.

Numerical Analysis: Taught by grad student from Taiwan or somewhere with unintelligible "engrish." The lectures quickly became just copying from the board with audio sounding like Snoopy listening to people. Studied book and notes to learn it.

Antennas and Propagation: Understanding the math of Curl, Cross Product, and boundary conditions was difficult. All necessary to understand Mr Maxwell's equations. Prof was caught working a back of book problem wrong by students a time or two. (It had some weird ones). Heavy duty stuff!

All required for my major at the time.
Shit that was 41-44 years ago! Im surprised I can remember even some of the terminology.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
DiffEq. My lifetime DE average is an F. Two Incompletes, an F and a B.

(0 + 0 + 0 + 3)/4 = 0.75 = Eff Me.

I was happier to get that B than any of the As I ever got.
View Quote
Glad to see I’m not the only one!  Three tries for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Econometrics, which is basically applied statistics.  We had to take those horrible statistics classes and apply them according to the principles we learned in the fun cool economics classes.

Had to learn methods, create questions, run out and gather data FROM BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY, feed it into the computer, run it, then write a paper, and be amazed we actually got a passing grade from the professor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mass Transport. I've learned more outside of college on this topic than a 3 hr course. Fucking professor did her undergrad, masters and PhD at the same fucking school, never stepping foot off campus into industry. People literally delayed graduation a year to avoid her class. I had no such luxury and passed with a "C".

Theres a reason theres so few chemical engineers...

I'm fascinated there seems to be a significant number on this forum.
View Quote
My alma mater specifically required students either work 3-5 years in industry before they would consider an application for graduate school, or they would help them go to graduate school elsewhere. And, once you got your PhD, you had to go elsewhere, you couldn't immediately teach there either. They did not believe in incestuous academia.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to go with Quantum Mechanics.  And yes. it was required.   I can't imagine a non-required class actually being difficult.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
My dad was considered the brightest guy in college, aced all the math classes, never used calculus once he left college and became a PE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#44]
300 level intro to biochemistry and 500 level recombinant DNA techniques lecture/lab
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#45]
two way tie. Formal languages and automata & cell molecular bio.

In terms of sheer memorization and quantity of information they were both laughable compared to grad school.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
What is with all the hate on thermodynamics? Is it from chemical or non-chemical engineers?

My ChEg profs were very clear with us at the start of the semester (fall, sophomore year): if we did not love thermodynamics, steam tables, the Redlich-Kwong equation, etc, we were to change majors ASAP.

But then, we had another prof spring of junior year for Heat & Mass Transfer who was the former dean, he refused to allow repeats, and was the only one to teach that class. If you were performing poorly, he would fill out your change-of-major form, get it signed by the current dean, and leave blanks only for your new major and your signature when he stapled it to your returned test. He would include a post-it with suggestions of majors he thought best suited you. The dude gave zero fucks in his quest to keep the quality of the program's graduates high.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My dad was considered the brightest guy in college, aced all the math classes, never used calculus once he left college and became a PE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My intern was surprised when I told him the most advanced software he would ever touch for the rest of his career would be Excel.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
cal 1-3 and diff eq were easy, idk, it just made sense to me

o chem 1 was a cake walk and 2 was pretty challenging along with engineering pchem

heat transfer was easy and mass transport phenomena wasn't terrible

thermo 2 though.... Jesus fucking christ no class ever whipped my ass like thermo 2. shitty prof didn't help but man that shit was hard
View Quote
I think the thing with calc 2 is if you didn't do your due diligence in lower courses. Me. That's when you really find out if you know algebra and trig.

ETA: O Chem 1 was a trick, designed to set you up for failure in the second half. I worked my ass off and missed an A by less than a point. I got a B+. Chem professors don't round shit unless it's down.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember Current Issues in Monetary Economics being extra challenging.  That was 400 level Econ.  I remember a couple 300 level Finance classes being quite challenging as well too
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#50]
college algebra 104

I suck at abstract alebra I took harder classes such as my history 400 which required  25 + PAGE ORIGINAL RESEARCH PROJECT USING ONLY ORIGINAL SOURCES.

BUT i DID NOT FIND THAT AS challenging as the college algebra.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top