Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people I know who worked service jobs before the pandemic never returned to them. They either returned to school or are working in new industries. My brother who managed a hotel is now instead managing a department store. My brother-in-law, who was a chef at an upscale restaurant, now works at a slower pace at a boutique grocer. One of my buddies that worked as a host in a restaurant went back to school to be an electrician. Due to the pandemic a lot of restaurants that would normally pad their roster with international workers don't have access to them anymore.

The food industry (and especially fast food) is a thankless job with terrible hours, poor pay, and maniacal bosses. Its no wonder no one wants to work in it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
(edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
(edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
(edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The companies aren't to blame here, the government is.

A huge portion of the work force was voluntarily unemployed for a year or more with the extra money.
View Quote

My point is that UPS is Directly responsible for loosing a few good workers by lying. Lineman school takes physical ability and some intelligence. If I take a job and my pay is cut by $3+ an hour from our agreement, then who is responsible for breaking the agreement? That is my point on this situation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't get it either, at least in NC. Government benefits haven't been a factor for a month now here, according to the people I've talked to. Tons of jobs are sitting empty, but at the same time people are buying vehicles and real estate like hot cakes at exorbitant prices. Something doesn't add up.
View Quote

out of staters buying up all the real estate tbh.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Onlyfans.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
(edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
(edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a perfect job for the poor oldsters. We should abolish SS and just let them serve burgers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Retailers like me stole all the fast food workers.

Wendys here pays $8 an hour for cook. I eat out everyday and recruit the people with the best attitudes for $14-16 an hour to push shopping carts and load customers.

WMT announced they pay $15 an hour minimum but not in all areas. I am hiring their workers who have good attitudes and make $11 and paying them $15.

That leaves poor attitudes and poor pay at the retailers that won’t keep up with wage growth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The majority of counties in the US have a smaller youth population today than they did 10 years ago. People don't think demographic collapse and labor shortages be like it is, but it do! This is only the beginning, it will be far worse ten years from now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m curious as to what is getting moderated so heavily.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
most people quit eating out all the time, so there is also less demand.
View Quote
That is the wrongest thing I have heard in a long time!
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately, a lot of companies fail to realize that if you pay with peanuts all you will get is monkeys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Things must of got spicy in here, @40xb logged a good number of kills.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m curious as to what is getting moderated so heavily.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top