User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a matter of fact I just had an article pop up on my Google start page about the "trucks with the worst reliability."  Must be long term reliability because it was the 2019 Ranger.
View Quote

I get pop-up that say hot women in my area are hot to have sex with me, but that isn't happening.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Ford and GM are unfortunately woke AF, can't recall seeing any of that from Toyota. Then again most of the right doesn't really have any standards and will give money to their enemies to spite themselves so that might not be a concern.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't your people drive Ridgelines?
View Quote
Yes I do. It's the best truck of 8 that I have owned.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes I do. It's the best truck of 8 that I have owned.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84570/20191029_115911-1158662.jpg
View Quote

Whether one considers the Ridgeline a "real truck" or not. One has to admit that for whatever it is, its a damn fine vehicle.
It fits a niche that in reality, probably 70% of "real truck" owners fall into.
Capable, comfortable and well thought out.

And....with all the liberal style "fake outrage" it somehow recieves......99.9% of "real truck" owners have never even been in one.

If they made one with a 6 foot bed and looked good in that configuration, I'd have one.
I'd set my Tacoma on fire and push it off a cliff for one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You need to do some research on your own.

It's not wise to base an opinion on only one source.  It's even less wise to rely on your own personal opinion.  The fact is, right now, across many sources, the Tacoma ranks at or near the bottom in reliability rankings in both the mid-size segment, and the truck market as a whole.  And this is separate from the powertrain performance issues.  Tundra does rank at or near the top

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...Tacoma. The new Ranger has a terrible reliability score and GMC Canyon is LOL bad.

Do you have a source for this information? Do you own a Taco, Ranger or Canyon? Nearly every source I’ve read has the Ranger with great reliability including those that own them and have posted in this thread. I’m not spouting off as a fanboi but rather as someone who owned a Taco and now owns a Ranger. The Ranger is a much better truck especially modded in nearly every aspect.

His source is his ass.

Tacoma is at or near the bottom of the barrel for reliability ratings according most any source.  Ranger and the GM twins rank significantly higher than the Toyota, as does the Frontier.

Then those rankings are worthless.

The Tacoma has endless complaints about the behavior/driveability of the transmission, but it has very few complaints about actual mechanical failures of any kind. Meanwhile, the GM 8L45 and 8L90 8 speed transmissions might be the worst transmissions we've seen in any truck in decades. Many torque converters and entire transmissions have been replaced. Supposedly, a change in fluid spec "fixes" the problem, but I'm skeptical.

It's fun to poke at the Toyota fanboys and call out the actual shortcomings of Toyota's trucks. The payload ratings are inexcusably terrible, the interiors suck, and they burn too much fuel relative to their capabilities. But the Tacoma and Tundra are still the safest bet for reliability in their respective segments.

It's not wise to base an opinion on only one source.  It's even less wise to rely on your own personal opinion.  The fact is, right now, across many sources, the Tacoma ranks at or near the bottom in reliability rankings in both the mid-size segment, and the truck market as a whole.  And this is separate from the powertrain performance issues.  Tundra does rank at or near the top

I have.

By far and away, the overwhelming majority of complaints and service department visits for the Tacoma have been related to transmission programming.

Outside of that, what actual mechanical failures is the Tacoma known for?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Uhh...Tacoma. The new Ranger has a terrible reliability score and GMC Canyon is LOL bad.
View Quote
I have about 58k on the clock on my 2019 Ranger. Except for killing an alternator (almost certainly my fault), it has been perfect. City driving, road trips, trails in the Ozarks. Not a single problem.

Maybe I got a lemon?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have.

By far and away, the overwhelming majority of complaints and service department visits for the Tacoma have been related to transmission programming.

View Quote

Did they ever fix the differential whine on the TRD O/R DCSB? Mine howled like a mother fucker over 35mph. Lots of other complaints I had about my 17 Taco, but it didn't leave me stranded. It just had a bunch of warranty issues in two months so I said fuck it and traded it back in for another mustang.

My ranger is by FAR a better truck. Leaps and bounds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone else think the Ranger 4cyl turbo is slower passing at interstate speeds?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Slower than... a Tacoma?  Not a chance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a midsize truck, I do not. The power from the turbo 4 is more than adequate for the truck. There is a factory performance upgrade that is available from Ford if you need 300 hp and 375 lbs. ft.

Even after moving up to 33” tires, I’ve never felt the Ranger was lacking HP. The 10 speed transmission mated to the Ecoboost was a brilliant move by the Ford engineers, I’ve had it drop down 3 or 4 gears to keep the engine in its power band to effortlessly pass slower traffic at interstate speeds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Drive them and see what you think. Other people's opinions don't really matter if you hate driving it.
View Quote
This would be my first suggestion too.

Following up on that my two cents:
If you're going to keep it forever and don't care too much about the latest/greatest in tech then a V6 4x4 Tacoma would be my first pick.

If you want some drivetrain diversity then i'd look at the Canyon/Colorado. They have some nice amenities too.

While I like the drivetrain and looks of the ranger it was dated even brand new as it was based on the global platform which has been around as long as the tacoma. So that kind of defaults me back to the taco. I wasn't really that impressed with the interior and if you build one out it gets into F150 territory pretty easily to where it's probably worth the scope creep to just jump back into the 1/2 ton. If it's something you don't want to keep forever then i'd say give this one a shot. Most reviews on them aren't terrible and are a great alternative to the Taco and GM midsize trucks.

Also if you're not really going to do much off-roading then a 2nd gen Ridgeline should be something else to consider. They get poo-poo'd here a lot but they are fantastic urban utility vehicles, especially if you're not going to tow as you mentioned. I almost got a ridgeline in '07 but the 5.7L tundra won out because i'm a drivetrain snob even though the Ridgeline was objectively better for all of my requirements. The 2nd gen ones look a milion times better then the 1st gen ridgelines too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Tacoma Fan Boy... on my second.

I'd test drive all three. I'd lean Ranger from the seat of my couch right now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No issue observed here. I can accelerate easy from 70mph to pass. I never once felt like I didn’t have enough power to pass anyone I needed to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All of those have cramped shitbox interiors tighter than a Honda Civic. Comfort isn't good, storage sucks, and there's no room for adults in the back seat.

Tell us what you mean by "light offroading."

I'd say it's still hard to beat the value of a half ton, and if you want something smaller and cheaper that'll never tow, the answer is probably... Honda Ridgeline.
View Quote

Yep.  I thought I always wanted a Taco.  When I was shopping around, I sat in one (2017).  I barely fit.  For whatever reason, the RAV4 had WAY more room.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For a midsize truck, I do not. The power from the turbo 4 is more than adequate for the truck. There is a factory performance upgrade that is available from Ford if you need 300 hp and 375 lbs. ft.

Even after moving up to 33" tires, I've never felt the Ranger was lacking HP. The 10 speed transmission mated to the Ecoboost was a brilliant move by the Ford engineers, I've had it drop down 3 or 4 gears to keep the engine in its power band to effortlessly pass slower traffic at interstate speeds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even after moving up to 33" tires, I've never felt the Ranger was lacking HP. The 10 speed transmission mated to the Ecoboost was a brilliant move by the Ford engineers, I've had it drop down 3 or 4 gears to keep the engine in its power band to effortlessly pass slower traffic at interstate speeds.
I don't have that much time in the new ranger but i've driven plenty of ecoboost/10spd mustangs and it is a really nice drivetrain combo. My mom has a new Ranger and absolutely loves it. We had a 4cyl manual ranger in the late 90's so this one feels like a supercar to her lol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

On paper, that should be one of the Ranger's strengths.

Between the power delivery of the 2.3L EB and the gear ratios of the 10 speed, the Ranger should have more power available in more situations than any other midsizer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, I often find myself unintentionally getting up to 90+mph when I am passing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Compared to the taco I had, the Ranger is a rocket ship. I used to worry about merging onto the toll roads here with a speed limit of 85 because everyone else was doing 95+ and the taco was so fucking slow
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a source for this information? Do you own a Taco, Ranger or Canyon? Nearly every source I’ve read has the Ranger with great reliability including those that own them and have posted in this thread. I’m not spouting off as a fanboi but rather as someone who owned a Taco and now owns a Ranger. The Ranger is a much better truck especially modded in nearly every aspect.

His source is his ass.

Tacoma is at or near the bottom of the barrel for reliability ratings according most any source.  Ranger and the GM twins rank significantly higher than the Toyota, as does the Frontier.

Then those rankings are worthless.

The Tacoma has endless complaints about the behavior/driveability of the transmission, but it has very few complaints about actual mechanical failures of any kind. Meanwhile, the GM 8L45 and 8L90 8 speed transmissions might be the worst transmissions we've seen in any truck in decades. Many torque converters and entire transmissions have been replaced. Supposedly, a change in fluid spec "fixes" the problem, but I'm skeptical.

It's fun to poke at the Toyota fanboys and call out the actual shortcomings of Toyota's trucks. The payload ratings are inexcusably terrible, the interiors suck, and they burn too much fuel relative to their capabilities. But the Tacoma and Tundra are still the safest bet for reliability in their respective segments.

I have.

The newer ones did have rear end diff issues with noise/improper fitting and seeping with some years. Lots of complaints about their audio system and glitches.
Of any made in the past 10 years, the last year [15] of the second generation had about the best track record for reliability. It was a very well proven design by that time even if it didn't offer all the bells and whistles that many people want.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Drive them and see what you think. Other people's opinions don't really matter if you hate driving it.
View Quote

This. Tacos are great,if they fit you.

OP, there is also the Gladiator. If that kind of thing floats your boat.

I think all of your options will fit your needs. They all have 4x4 options, some better then others.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope, I often find myself unintentionally getting up to 90+mph when I am passing.
View Quote

My 10 year old daughter from the back seat, “hey dad, you’re driving 90 mph again and I think we just passed a cop.”

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Compared to the taco I had, the Ranger is a rocket ship. I used to worry about merging onto the toll roads here with a speed limit of 85 because everyone else was doing 95+ and the taco was so fucking slow
View Quote

Yep. People do the "if you want fast buy a car, it's a truck!" Problem is, I don't want to die trying to get into traffic. A buddy has a "fun" jeep, it's nice even though it's a jeep, he has all that shit bolted on to it, and it's not fun to drive on the road. It also takes longer to get places, not because it's slow, but because you have a tough time with other drivers. A DD truck, it's nice to have some acceleration.

I've driven plenty of Rangers, they have plenty of acceleration (I still prefer my V8 F150 which is fast as shit). The Taco is marginal in todays market. You can tune a Ranger and have a Ford warranty, not the best tune for the money, but you get a warranty. There are some really great tunes out there for Fords, too bad premium gas is so much more expensive in my area than regular (+ $.80 on average.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So you are basing your claim that the Ranger has a terrible reliability score based off of a Google pop up ad that you can’t link a source to? Gotcha.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a matter of fact I just had an article pop up on my Google start page about the "trucks with the worst reliability."  Must be long term reliability because it was the 2019 Ranger.

I owned a Tacoma for many years putting 200K+ relatively trouble free miles on it. Brakes, tires, batteries, more tires, a starter and some new leaf springs after hauling a way too heavy load of firewood. More tires too.

My buddy owns a GMC Canyon 4x4 with the deisel and it's been in the shop almost as much as the road. They've pulled the entire body off twice. I can't remember the entire story and I think he's a little embarrassed about it at this point, so I don't get as many updates. I know for sure it's had the entire engine replaced once and the tranny twice. He's stopped complaining about it because we give him so much shit.

So you are basing your claim that the Ranger has a terrible reliability score based off of a Google pop up ad that you can’t link a source to? Gotcha.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Although I didn't mention it because it may not be entirely relevant, but I have owned a Ranger V6 4x4 in the past. A 1992 model that I sold after 3 years of problems. Ford will never see another dime from me for selling me that piece of shit years ago. Fool me once...
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Although I didn't mention it because it may not be entirely relevant, but I have owned a Ranger V6 4x4 in the past. A 1992 model that I sold after 3 years of problems. Ford will never see another dime from me for selling me that piece of shit years ago. Fool me once...
View Quote
This man knows how to hold a grudge.

Most domestics from the 90s were shit. I had a '98 S-10 when I was in high school. At 55k miles it had already blown a head gasket, cracked (as in had a hole the size of my pinky finger) an exhaust manifold, and needed a trans rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
30k on my 19. Gas mileage is not great, especially if you have heavy foot.  Pretty happy overall though, my last one lasted 15 years, hoping this one is as good.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#27]
With the used market being insane right now, I took my 19 Ranger with 25k miles in to see what the dealer would offer since Carvana offered $31k. After rebates, that's what I paid for mine brand new. They offered 30k, so I left with a 2021 Ranger Tremor

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
With the used market being insane right now, I took my 19 Ranger with 25k miles in to see what the dealer would offer since Carvana offered $31k. After rebates, that's what I paid for mine brand new. They offered 30k, so I left with a 2021 Ranger Tremor

https://i.imgur.com/17VE23B.jpg
View Quote

That's nuts
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet rig!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Whether one considers the Ridgeline a "real truck" or not. One has to admit that for whatever it is, its a damn fine vehicle.

And....with all the liberal style "fake outrage" it somehow recieves......99.9% of "real truck" owners have never even been in one.

If they made one with a 6 foot bed and looked good in that configuration, I'd have one.
View Quote

You will never get a unibody pickup with a decent sized bed.  Hell, the 1st gen Ridgelines had enough problems with twisting.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Of the 3 in the thread title, I'd choose a 4WD Tacoma based on my perception of Toyota's reliability and I also prefer the way it looks. I also find the new 2022 Nissan Frontier very interesting (since I love my Xterra), but that might be too far off for you.

Quoted:
I have about 58k on the clock on my 2019 Ranger. Except for killing an alternator (almost certainly my fault), it has been perfect. City driving, road trips, trails in the Ozarks. Not a single problem.

Maybe I got a lemon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I got a lemon?
Out of curiosity, how do you kill an alternator by your own actions?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You will never get a unibody pickup with a decent sized bed.  Hell, the 1st gen Ridgelines had enough problems with twisting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a car adapted unibody that's probably true. They can also do weird stuff like on the new transit vans where they basically built a frame structure in the unibody.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Of the 3 in the thread title, I'd choose a 4WD Tacoma based on my perception of Toyota's reliability and I also prefer the way it looks. I also find the new 2022 Nissan Frontier very interesting (since I love my Xterra), but that might be too far off for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I got a lemon?
Dunk it in muddy/silty water in freezing temperatures at speed over and over. My entire engine bay was brown. If I had approached slower, I probably would have been fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beautiful truck, I want to pick up a used one when things settle down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ford and GM are unfortunately woke AF, can't recall seeing any of that from Toyota. Then again most of the right doesn't really have any standards and will give money to their enemies to spite themselves so that might not be a concern.
View Quote

Toyota jumped on the BLM movement quicker than anyone else, we just tend to ignore that happened around here though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Beautiful truck, I want to pick up a used one when things settle down.
View Quote

I'm enjoying it so far! Need to get out and test the suspension vs my old XLT 4x4 from before.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top