Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Came across this article describing the Incas' political system and an analogy with some infamous equivalent we have today.

Not sure how accurate it is (I mean the Inca's system).

The Ancient Incas and the Collectivist State
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brass:

Also @TxRabbitBane  Do you have any more Cool .PDFs to look at and we can all discuss?  That last one had some very neat ideas in it!
View Quote
I can’t find the paper where they discuss the limestone content... I’m at a fishing tournament right now, but maybe I can find it when I get home...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:15:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#5]
Been looking into chemical traces or residue in the  Egyptian pyramids, great or otherwise,  and can't find anything.

Not anything.

As in, nothing.

Can someone give me vids or links?

Thanks.

I did find this, which may alternatively entertain or enrage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By waterglass:
Been looking into chemical traces or residue in the  Egyptian pyramids, great or otherwise,  and can't find anything.

Not anything.

As in, nothing.

Can someone give me vids or links?

Thanks.

I did find this, which may alternatively entertain or enrage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8if2Kd-6Y
View Quote
http://grahamhancock.com/phorum/read.php?1,182928,182991
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
We should have that info from scanpyramids.com, but they only tell you what the dataa means, without showing you the raw scans of the pyramids, just the ground around them  Many of the tests they have performed would say with near certainty if they're sone through and through, or gravel, and if gravel, what size, and how much dirt is in it, etc.

If they told us that's how they were built, it might hurt tourism.   I've seen info held close to the vest for far more benign reasons.

I'm not accusing them, Only saying that it makes good business sense to do it how they have done with the scanpyramids.com site.. Say a lot without actuallly answering a question or confirming/absolute shutting down of other theories.   I'm notn saying mine is right, I was just thinking about "did it with ramps", If I was going to do something requiring a large ramp, I'd try to integrate that ramp into the final structure, then though about how I'd do it, and you get the psychobabble above.

Also @TxRabbitBane  Do you have any more Cool .PDFs to look at and we can all discuss?  That last one had some very neat ideas in it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rossi:
Apparently there's a beginning of a realization that the ramp system that many believe was used would not work.

One thing about this article is that its author says the Egyptians did not use limestone to build the pyramids when they are covered with it.  That shows how they "agree" on the overall construction.

“This system is composed of a central ramp flanked by two staircases with numerous post holes,” Yannis Gourdon, co-director of the joint mission at Hatnub, told Live Science. “Using a sled which carried a stone block and was attached with ropes to these wooden posts, ancient Egyptians were able to pull up the alabaster blocks out of the quarry on very steep slopes of 20 percent or more.”

It’s difficult to tell the significance of this discovery since the archaeologists haven’t yet published their research on it, says Kara Cooney, a professor of Egyptian art and architecture at the University of California, L.A., who is not involved in this research.
ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s a stretch to take an alabaster quarry and say this is how the pyramids were built, because the pyramids weren’t built out of alabaster,” she says. “The way that the ancient Egyptians cut and moved stone is still very mysterious.”

(more at article)
https://www.history.com/news/ancient-egypt-pyramid-ramp-discovery
I can see that local 'dirt' fro the limestone quarry area could be used as filler, except for the interior tunnels, then bec appsed wiht a layer of limestone.

Loose Gravel has an Adipose/resting angle of 50° So if a pile of it was simply poured out, the angle on the edges of the pile to ground are 50° from horizontal/40° from vertical.

If they built the pyramids as a spiral, a chain of people carrying buckets of crushed limestone, then dumping it, while stone masons sat limestone around the edge to contain it at a slightly steeper angle from the extra friction (51° to 53° are the actual numbers for the large pyramids), it would be WAY faster and easier to make a spiral ramp up, as the elevation increased, the stone masons would increase the tunnel's progress, make sure it's angled correctly, etc.  Would make it easy to make a perfectly straight line by looking down tunnel to a light, and keeping it centered with the walls aligned, then using 2-3 rows of limestone around those tunnels to 'lock' it permanently assisted by the weight that will be added atop it.

Casing stones are exact same story as internal tunnels and traps, eye down to keep it level with extra input from people on the ground before next course of gravel is dumped for new limestone placement to keep the Look correct.   One line carrying stone, another bucket brigade gathering loose larger sized gravel to be compacted down during the rest of construction.  This would leave one small area that would need climbing, and only needing to place stones even with the neighbors, then dump the gravel in from top, run around in little circles packing it down (people HAD worked extensively with dirt structures, if history is believed at all, (and if not history, common sense would say they'd noticed certain properties of different 'types of dirt' due to living in it for several hundred years, enough to have time to worry about sacrifices instead of merely survival).  If done that way, the lat bit would be smooth with rope and tackle tug/slides along the blocks already laid, and a bucket brigade of a few dozen people, 2-3 on each course of stone with a rope, to pull the next bucket o gravel up, and put it on the ropes for the guys above it to life higher, repeat.

That said, that's the ONLY way I can picture a ramp being used.   They wouldn't have been wasteful like our current construction, temporary mega structures built to help build something else, then entirely dismantled, Nope, that's just faster for us, not the most direct method.   Building ramps leading up the pyramid would be more of a task than building the pyramids themselves. looking at volume and run size desired, a 15° slope starting at zero leading to the top, say 40 ft wide (conservative) Plus the extra dirt due to the friction angle/adipose angle of whatever they need the rock fromo (half again as much), leads to more than moved for two entire pyramids once adding in the rebuilding of ramps to "point" to different endpoints.

I like this idea as it explains a few things - easy way to fill center of pyramid, most efficient use of limestone blocks in both function and lifetime durability, Ramp doesn't need to be removed later, the Ramp IS the pyramid, and last, but not least:  Moving big buckets of large, dens packing gravel (crushed limestone, anything not rounded by a river) would be far easier, faster, and efficient to carry by hand and using ropes.   The casing blocks could be dragged up the slope resting on 2 'point bearings, the two steps below each stone.   That might explain their very uniform sizes - just long enough to span 2 points of existing courses, yet small enough to fit up the ramp opening remaining, while keeping it light enough to move freely.   Limestone has  Moh's hardness of 3.  Raw copper is also hardness of 3, but can be bumped to 4 or 4.5 simply by work hardening (making a bunch of little dimples in it, causing stretching and bending in amounts small enough to move the metal, but not go past yield strength, these dimples would also hold grains of limestone (calcite), which could easily grind through itself.   Even having a medium heavy copper saw 3-4 ft tall would allow them to quarry a limestone brick out by dropping it in one end, helpers keep it vertical, and 1 or more guys pull on rope attached to blade to abrade the rock.   - Straight edge, consistent thickness due to size of copper 'blade', and many doing htis at same time.  Copper would be enough to get a cut starte,d and the cuttings from it would catch in the work hardened copper and make the abrasion  faster.

If anybody would like to buy me a piece of half hard copper, say.. 8' x 5' and 3/8" thick, I'll happily do the experiment.  

--ETA:  I'd be OK with welding together 16 6" wide, 6 ft long bars of half hard to perform the experiment, for anybody wanting to help in interest of Science.
That new void recently discovered (but not explored yet) and suggested to be the same size as the great gallery might hold some clues to the mystery.   They might have used some lifting mechanisms attached to the great galery(ies - assuming that the void is really what they think) to help bringing the smaller stones up.

Your idea of using a compacted gravel or a mix between the granite and external pyramid's shell looks good.  However, we do not have any evidence of compacted gravel used there.  We still have that guy who said that the limestone found around the pyramid does not match the nearby quarries' types.   His theory about them molding the blocks seems the most making sense.

I like that possibility because it could indicate that the Egyptians actually molded the blocks in place instead of transporting them.  Much easier to bring the concrete aggregate in buckets or boxes and setting them using templates and casings in place.  As they cure, move to the next level.  Considering their climate, with a good supply of aggregate they might even do one level per week or so and meet the deadline.

That still leaves the massive granite blocks out.  But those I still think they found there and built their pyramids around them.  
We should have that info from scanpyramids.com, but they only tell you what the dataa means, without showing you the raw scans of the pyramids, just the ground around them  Many of the tests they have performed would say with near certainty if they're sone through and through, or gravel, and if gravel, what size, and how much dirt is in it, etc.

If they told us that's how they were built, it might hurt tourism.   I've seen info held close to the vest for far more benign reasons.

I'm not accusing them, Only saying that it makes good business sense to do it how they have done with the scanpyramids.com site.. Say a lot without actuallly answering a question or confirming/absolute shutting down of other theories.   I'm notn saying mine is right, I was just thinking about "did it with ramps", If I was going to do something requiring a large ramp, I'd try to integrate that ramp into the final structure, then though about how I'd do it, and you get the psychobabble above.

My Google-Fu is strong this morning. Or I've been following muonography use in archaeological settings for a while and just went to the bookmarks.  

PDF of Accelerated Preview for "Discovery of a big void in Khufu’s Pyramid by observation of cosmic-ray muons"

The actual submitted paper is behind a paywall.

The best you are going to get with muonography is detection of stark changes in density. The films show a relatively uniform interior, barring the previously unknown voids.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if it’s a second grand gallery like in the red pyramid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, if I haven’t said it, I’m really glad to have @txrabbitbane and @headstoner in this thread to keep us grounded.

I read somewhere else that the notion of King’s chamber and Queen’s chamber was the Muslim theory, since the woman would “obviously” be buried lower down. I think the initial premise was that these were tombs and the entire history was made up around that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
This shoots down the long ramp theory of how the stones were stacked high up on the Great Pyramid.

Graham Hancock Mathematically Explaining why we CAN'T Reconstruct The Great Pyramid
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RIO-lover] [#11]
People suggesting that some sort of "spiral ramp" around the pyramid to move the stones up to the higher levels doesn't make sense for me.

In the illustration to get the stone to point "A" the slaves pulling the stone would have to go off the end of the ramp in order to get the stone ready to pull around the corner.

Not to mention that the angle of the ramps incline would be too steep to pull 5 ton blocks up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RIO-lover:
People suggesting that some sort of "spiral ramp" around the pyramid to move the stones up to the higher levels doesn't make sense for me.

https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/image/pyramiden-rampen/wendelrampe-probleme.GIF

In the illustration to get the stone to point "A" the slaves pulling the stone would have to go off the end of the ramp in order to get the stone ready to pull around the corner.

Not to mention that the angle of the ramps incline would be too steep to pull 5 ton blocks up.
View Quote
Is this a serious post?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RIO-lover] [#13]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Is this a serious post?
View Quote
Of course it is.
I have heard some people claim that this "spiral ramp" method might have been used.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
If the stone weighed 3 tons that is = to 6000 pounds , that would mean that each man is pulling 600 pounds
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course it is.
I have heard some people claim that this "spiral ramp" method might have been used.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
If the stone weighed 3 tons that is = to 6000 pounds , that would mean that each man is pulling 600 pounds
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/2b/d4/5b2bd42c5e523af33d75d617a3d00cf9.jpg
View All Quotes

Is this a serious post?
Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/2b/d4/5b2bd42c5e523af33d75d617a3d00cf9.jpg
Quite clearly, in the picture, in front of the sled, is a guy pouring something.

Here's a neat trick: get a wood sled and load it with a thousand pounds or so. Attach ropes to the sled, strain gauge to the ropes, then the other end of the strain gauge to a truck with rope.(our motive force in the example or a few friends)

Pull that across a stretch of concrete and measure the strain. Reset and then do that again, this time however, just pour water in front of the sled. Note the strain.

Reset again. But soak the wood sled in water for a few hours, perhaps overnight. Test it all again. Note the strain.

Now, if you do that enough times on this patch of concrete, eventually after a few runs, the sled tracks will be visible. Friction has caused pieces of wood to embed into the concrete. So now, when you pull the wet sled, your pulling with wet wood, on wood, and combined friction is a fair bit reduced. The guy pouring water, is replenishing water lost through friction. If you really what to kick it up a notch, through in some heated animal fat.

Reducing friction is like using a block and tackle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:
Quite clearly, in the picture, in front of the sled, is a guy pouring something.

Here's a neat trick: get a wood sled and load it with a thousand pounds or so. Attach ropes to the sled, strain gauge to the ropes, then the other end of the strain gauge to a truck with rope.(our motive force in the example or a few friends)

Pull that across a stretch of concrete and measure the strain. Reset and then do that again, this time however, just pour water in front of the sled. Note the strain.

Reset again. But soak the wood sled in water for a few hours, perhaps overnight. Test it all again. Note the strain.

Now, if you do that enough times on this patch of concrete, eventually after a few runs, the sled tracks will be visible. Friction has caused pieces of wood to embed into the concrete. So now, when you pull the wet sled, your pulling with wet wood, on wood, and combined friction is a fair bit reduced. The guy pouring water, is replenishing water lost through friction. If you really what to kick it up a notch, through in some heated animal fat.

View All Quotes

Is this a serious post?
Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:

Some believe they poured water to make easier to pull the sled over sand.

The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramids may have been able to move massive stone blocks across the desert by wetting the sand in front of a contraption built to pull the heavy objects, according to a new study.

Physicists at the University of Amsterdam investigated the forces needed to pull weighty objects on a giant sled over desert sand, and discovered that dampening the sand in front of the primitive device reduces friction on the sled, making it easier to operate. The findings help answer one of the most enduring historical mysteries: how the Egyptians were able to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of constructing the famous pyramids.
https://www.livescience.com/45285-how-egyptians-moved-pyramid-stones.html

My problem with the ramp theory is twofold.
1) volume of material necessary to build it (estimates vary between two to three more pyramids volume in extra rocks)

2) the ramp grade would have to increase with the pyramid's height and beyond a point they would need a small army to be able to pull that weight up.  Combining the ramps with cranes' idea might work in part for the small boulders.  Not the large ones.

Plus, there are more folks coming up with different theories because they do not believe the ramps theory works.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
View Quote
You can easily adjust the width of the ramp or length of a straight run to accommodate the necessary area for turning/manpower.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#17]
Since we are discussing all theories, here's the one that proposes the Egyptians used canals and water elevators.

I do not buy this one either but thought it would be fair to present it so you can make your own minds about it.

Step-by-Step Guide: Constructing the Egyptian Pyramids (In-Depth Exploration)

How the Pyramids of Egypt were really built Addendum - Multiple Locks

ETA: notice that in this one the author also does not mention the large 70-80ton boulders used as the pyramids' foundation and core.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Brien Forester posted several videos about the Incas.  This one is about curious artifacts and evidence he found in a trip to Egypt.

Some neat stuff there.  We already discussed a few here but there are others.

Ancient Artifacts In Egypt That Egyptologists Do Not Understand
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You can easily adjust the width of the ramp or length of a straight run to accommodate the necessary area for turning/manpower.
View All Quotes

Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
400 foot high dirt ramp.... easy....

nope/
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: verticalgain] [#20]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

At Masada, around 5000 Romans built a 375 foot tall ramp from sand and small stones in the Judean mountains in the span of around 100 days.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#21]
Good info about the pyramids' foundations and some evidence that brings questions about their actual age.
The author makes a very detailed (and good) analysis.

Here's an interesting theory about other uses for the great pyramid and its origins.  Worth watching.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By verticalgain:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/methode_times_prod_web_bin_d56f61d0-e14e-11e8-a477-e2aeea19be9b_png-863560.JPG

At Masada, around 5000 Romans built a 375 foot tall ramp from sand and small stones in the Judean mountains in the span of around 100 days.

https://www.rollaramp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/5245894879_bc1875f524_o.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/methode_times_prod_web_bin_d56f61d0-e14e-11e8-a477-e2aeea19be9b_png-863560.JPG

https://www.rollaramp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/5245894879_bc1875f524_o.jpg
Did the Romans have to carve and carry 70 ton boulders up there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#23]

1) volume of material necessary to build it (estimates vary between two to three more pyramids volume in extra rocks)

2) the ramp grade would have to increase with the pyramid's height and beyond a point they would need a small army to be able to pull that weight up.  Combining the ramps with cranes' idea might work in part for the small boulders.  Not the large ones.

Plus, there are more folks coming up with different theories because they do not believe the ramps theory works.
View All Quotes

Is this a serious post?
Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:

The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramids may have been able to move massive stone blocks across the desert by wetting the sand in front of a contraption built to pull the heavy objects, according to a new study.

Physicists at the University of Amsterdam investigated the forces needed to pull weighty objects on a giant sled over desert sand, and discovered that dampening the sand in front of the primitive device reduces friction on the sled, making it easier to operate. The findings help answer one of the most enduring historical mysteries: how the Egyptians were able to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of constructing the famous pyramids.

I haven't seen anyone seriously push for the single ramp or the spiral ramp theories, since I was in elementary school in the 90's. They were theories with issues, unlikely correct. As I remember it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

No one carried anything, they used the Grand Gallery. Counter-balanced freight elevator.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't seen anyone seriously push for the single ramp or the spiral ramp theories, since I was in elementary school in the 90's. They were theories with issues, unlikely correct. As I remember it.
View All Quotes

Is this a serious post?
Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:

It still floats around, as we see in some of the papers.  They had to have better ways of doing it.  We just have not figured them out yet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#26]
No one carried anything, they used the Grand Gallery. Counter-balanced freight elevator.
View All Quotes

I was replying to the "Masada's ramp" comment.

Nonetheless, this "elevator" still had to be supported by something, the boulders had to be brought from 550 miles away.  

The video I posted last has an interesting theory about who actually built the Great Pyramid and for what purpose.  Still leaves the methodology open, but is more plausible than some other theories floating around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Nonetheless, this "elevator" still had to be supported by something, the boulders had to be brought from 550 miles away.  

The video I posted last has an interesting theory about who actually built the Great Pyramid and for what purpose.  Still leaves the methodology open, but is more plausible than some other theories floating around.
View All Quotes

What boulders? The handful of granite ones, that make up a minuscule percentage of the total volume of the pyramid?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#28]
What boulders? The handful of granite ones, that make up a minuscule percentage of the total volume of the pyramid?
View All Quotes

The up to 80 ton ones that make up to 15 or 20% of the pyramid's core.  Are these you are talking about?

Still a logistics problem that no one could explain how they did yet.

If that guy's theory about being the Mesopotamians who actually designed and built them, then he might be into something.   Much longer time frame and more extensive stone work knowledge.   It would still be interesting to see how they did it, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Back a bit into the Andean civilizations.

Interesting article about the temple found submerged in the Lake Titicaca in Peru.  Pre-Inca civilization that folks are still trying to figure out.

Many mysteries and legends shroud the shores of this high alpine lake on the border of Peru and Bolivia. Not only is Lake Titicaca the highest navigable lake in South America, it is the world’s largest mountain lake at 3,200 square miles (8,288 sq. km), and the second deepest alpine lake with a depth of 1,000 feet (305 m). Lake Titicaca has been a sacred body of water to South America’s indig­enous people since pre-Inca times. According to Indian lore, the legendary god Viracocha arose from Lake Titicaca and went to Tiahuanaco to create the first Andean human being. It was long rumored that sunken temple existed at the bottom of the lake, and these rumors were substantiated when modern scien­tists explored its depths.

Scholars have long been intrigued by tales of ancient palaces seen by fisher­men during dry spells when the lake level dropped, or of local Indians diving down and touching the roofs of stone buildings. Even early Spanish chroniclers recorded Inca stories of a great flood long ago and ruins on the lake bottom. Stories of the lost treasure were enough to draw the famous French oceanographer Jacques Cousteau to explore the lake. However, he discovered only ancient pottery.

In 1967, a scientific expedition authorized by the Bolivian government began exploring the depths of Lake Titicaca. National Geographic also launched an expedition in 1988. The ruins of an ancient temple have been found by international archaeologists under Lake Titicaca, the world's highest lake. More than 200 dives were made into the lake, to depths of as much as 30m (100ft), to record the ruins on film. The divers found high walls covered in mud and slime and eaten away by the brackish water. Not far from the shore, a number of paved paths led into the lake and connected to a large, crescent-shaped base. The finely cut stone paths, numbering 30 in all, were set with great precision into the ground in a parallel formation.

Another expedition in the year 2000 located and documented a 660-foot (200-m) by 160-foot (50-m) temple after following a submerged road, almost twice the size of an average football pitch in an area of the lake near Copacabana town. To date, no conclusive answers have been given as to who may have built the monuments before they sank. A terrace for crops, a long road and an 800-metre (2,600 feet) long wall was also found under the waters of the lake, sited in the Andes mountains between Bolivia and Peru. Dating back 1,000 to 1,500 years ago, the ruins are pre-Incan. The Incas also regarded the lake as the birthplace of their civilization, and in their myth, the Children of The Sun emerged out of the waters.

"They have been attributed to the indigenous Tiwanaku or Tiahuanaco people", said Lorenzo Epis, the Italian scientist leading the Atahuallpa 2000 scientific expedition. The complete findings of the 30-member team, backed by the scientific group Akakor Geographical Exploring. The lake has long drawn fascination with various legends around it, including one of an underwater city called Wanaku and another of Inca gold lost by the Spanish. The research involved 10 scientists from Italy, 10 from Brazil, five Bolivians, two Germans and a Romanian.

(more at link)
View Quote
https://www.unmyst3.com/2009/12/underwater-temple-of-lake-titicaca.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Funnier one about an object attributed to the Romans, found all over Europe but no one can explain for certain what they used it for.  Theories vary from military or agricultural applications to knitting gloves.

That's the problem of misplacing the tool's manual.  

Mystery of The Roman Dodecahedron
Tripzibit December 16, 2018 - Archaeology, Dodecahedron, Mysterious Artifact, Pentagon, Pentagram, Rome
The Roman dodecahedron is a small, hollow object with a geometrical shape that has twelve flat faces. Each face is a pentagon, a five-sided shape. The Roman dodecahedron are also embellished with a series of knobs on each corner point of the pentagons, and the pentagon faces in most cases contain circular holes in them.

Ranging from 4 to 11 centimetres (1.6 to 4.3 in) in size, they also vary in terms of textures. Most are made of bronze but some are made of stone.

Attachment Attached File

(more at link)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:
Interesting. I didn't know the Incas used shiva lingas. I don't even want to know what they poured on them.
View All Quotes

I believe I saw that temple in one of the movies about the Incas.  Most of those dicks were "castrated" by Jesuits when they established a church nearby.  They were too indecent.  
Interesting. I didn't know the Incas used shiva lingas. I don't even want to know what they poured on them.
Found the video.

Megalithic Fertility Temple Near Lake Titicaca In Peru
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LoupGarou:
Me. I did it.
View Quote
He who smelt it dealt it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The up to 80 ton ones that make up to 15 or 20% of the pyramid's core.  Are these you are talking about?

If that guy's theory about being the Mesopotamians who actually designed and built them, then he might be into something.   Much longer time frame and more extensive stone work knowledge.   It would still be interesting to see how they did it, though.
View All Quotes

What are you calling the core? Ive never come across a source of any validity that has stated there is more granite in the pyramid, than what is surrounding the King's Chamber.

Im asking that out pure curiosity, If you have something speaking to that. Id like to read/watch it
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
What are you calling the core? Ive never come across a source of any validity that has stated there is more granite in the pyramid, than what is surrounding the King's Chamber.

Im asking that out pure curiosity, If you have something speaking to that. Id like to read/watch it
View All Quotes

I read that in a couple articles posted in this thread.   One had photos and some details of the fittings.  Another broke down the materials into granite (core), limestone (casing) and a concrete-like material that was used in between them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Interesting article about the temple found submerged in the Lake Titicaca in Peru.  Pre-Inca civilization that folks are still trying to figure out.

View All Quotes

Many mysteries and legends shroud the shores of this high alpine lake on the border of Peru and Bolivia. Not only is Lake Titicaca the highest navigable lake in South America, it is the world’s largest mountain lake at 3,200 square miles (8,288 sq. km), and the second deepest alpine lake with a depth of 1,000 feet (305 m). Lake Titicaca has been a sacred body of water to South America’s indig­enous people since pre-Inca times. According to Indian lore, the legendary god Viracocha arose from Lake Titicaca and went to Tiahuanaco to create the first Andean human being. It was long rumored that sunken temple existed at the bottom of the lake, and these rumors were substantiated when modern scien­tists explored its depths.

Scholars have long been intrigued by tales of ancient palaces seen by fisher­men during dry spells when the lake level dropped, or of local Indians diving down and touching the roofs of stone buildings. Even early Spanish chroniclers recorded Inca stories of a great flood long ago and ruins on the lake bottom. Stories of the lost treasure were enough to draw the famous French oceanographer Jacques Cousteau to explore the lake. However, he discovered only ancient pottery.

In 1967, a scientific expedition authorized by the Bolivian government began exploring the depths of Lake Titicaca. National Geographic also launched an expedition in 1988. The ruins of an ancient temple have been found by international archaeologists under Lake Titicaca, the world's highest lake. More than 200 dives were made into the lake, to depths of as much as 30m (100ft), to record the ruins on film. The divers found high walls covered in mud and slime and eaten away by the brackish water. Not far from the shore, a number of paved paths led into the lake and connected to a large, crescent-shaped base. The finely cut stone paths, numbering 30 in all, were set with great precision into the ground in a parallel formation.

Another expedition in the year 2000 located and documented a 660-foot (200-m) by 160-foot (50-m) temple after following a submerged road, almost twice the size of an average football pitch in an area of the lake near Copacabana town. To date, no conclusive answers have been given as to who may have built the monuments before they sank. A terrace for crops, a long road and an 800-metre (2,600 feet) long wall was also found under the waters of the lake, sited in the Andes mountains between Bolivia and Peru. Dating back 1,000 to 1,500 years ago, the ruins are pre-Incan. The Incas also regarded the lake as the birthplace of their civilization, and in their myth, the Children of The Sun emerged out of the waters.

"They have been attributed to the indigenous Tiwanaku or Tiahuanaco people", said Lorenzo Epis, the Italian scientist leading the Atahuallpa 2000 scientific expedition. The complete findings of the 30-member team, backed by the scientific group Akakor Geographical Exploring. The lake has long drawn fascination with various legends around it, including one of an underwater city called Wanaku and another of Inca gold lost by the Spanish. The research involved 10 scientists from Italy, 10 from Brazil, five Bolivians, two Germans and a Romanian.

(more at link)
Ill have to compare the lake location to the extent of Southern Hemisphere Ice Sheets, during the last ice age and afterwards.

Im wondering with a lot of the worlds water locked up in glaciers, i figure the lake level had to be lower.

I wonder if that could have made the now underwater lake bottom, prime real estate.

Similar to Lake Okeechobee
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]
That theory about the Great Pyramid being a sound generator to help plants growth intrigued me.   A little dig and it appears that there's indeed some positive influence of certain frequencies on plants' growth.

The interesting thing is that its author noted that the pyramid filtered lower frequencies, and the suty's author concluded that higher frequencies fared better.  The cool thing is that many of you found that the pyramid actually acts as a sound resonator and that helps backing the "Mesopotamian theory".

The data suggests a few different things.  It does not necessarily prove or disprove my hypothesis.  Instead it suggests that it is not as simple as saying that a higher frequency is better for plants.  Rather, there is a healthy range of frequencies, somewhere around 2400 Hz.

It also suggests that the growth of a plant does not have a direct equivalency to health.  Most of the cases grew more rapidly at the beginning, but quickly got brown and dry, indicating they were not healthy.

The final thing it suggests is the way increased RNA production could help plants.  As stated earlier, having a sound frequency aids in the production of RNA in plants(Xiujuan et al. 2-3).  However, I interpreted that as not having a direct connection to growth.  Instead, in this case it seems to make the plant better able too maintain itself.  It is possible that RNA helps regenerate cells at a more even rate, helping the plant replace lost cells.

(more at link)
View Quote
http://www.mschien.com/documents/guss_exhibition.pdf
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Ill have to compare the lake location to the extent of Southern Hemisphere Ice Sheets, during the last ice age and afterwards.

Im wondering with a lot of the worlds water locked up in glaciers, i figure the lake level had to be lower.

I wonder if that could have made the now underwater lake bottom, prime real estate.

View All Quotes

(more at link)

The part that most intrigued me was the Incas' flood legend.  That lake could have been formed by melting glaciers, but could also have been formed by water captured by a depression when it receded after a flood.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Found one of the links previously posted that gives some idea about what was used where.

https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/stone-quarries.html

Now, keep in mind that even the exact composition is still not 100% certain since there's still a lot of debate even about some of the blocks' composition as you see in the article below.

https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~jason2/papers/pyramid.htm
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#39]
skip the first full minute and 15 seconds where he is busy brit-splaining how smart he is
after that it gets kinda interesting
How were the pyramids of egypt really built - Part 1
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6GUNZ] [#40]
This shoots down the long ramp theory of how the stones were stacked high up on the Great Pyramid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZaCqWwd4uE
View Quote
Graham Hancock is a sissy. If you truly want to know fear, hike the keyhole route on Long's Peak on a busy day with two landwhales directly above you with a bad case of elvis leg.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#41]
The Egyptians were able to carve out massive obelisks, move them, and then stand them up straight, yet the best the Egyptologists can come up with was that they were dragging stones. I've spent a little bit of time today looking at photos of Obelisks. One thing I've noticed, and it may be due to repairs or weathering, but it seems that the hieroglyphs don't cover the tips, yet go all the way to the top and end abruptly at a particular height. I've said this more than once in this thread and I think it enforces the idea further: I think that they may have been used for construction and maintenance of the stone buildings around them as a balancing point, like a crane. The shape helps to keep the center of mass over the foundation and the angled point would allow for motion and counterweights. Perhaps the pairs of cranes could've been used to support massive pendulum shaping or grinding stones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Why always with the ramps?  Why not keep everything level and just use jacks (lever and fulcrum) and stands (stack of squared logs or someting) to lift a cradled stone to the next level, slide off using small wood rollers, repeat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:33:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#43]

View All Quotes

Pretty sure the ramp is about 30-40 feet of rubble packed onto the underlying bed rock. Pretty sure they impressed locals to build it.

A tower was used to breech the fortress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
View Quote
Why would they have men doing it instead of animals?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:19:25 AM EDT
[#46]

nope/
View Quote
They could build a 400 foot tall stone structure but not a dirt ramp?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
View All Quotes

Of course it is.

@wakeboarder

Why do you ask?

ETA some artists idea:
They didn't have harnesses. They looped leather around the horns to pull plows. Generally two cows are shown pulling a narrow wooden plow in their art of the time.

The shoulder harness wasn't a thing in Egypt until long after the giza complex was built.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

nope/
A spiraling ramp? No.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#49]

A spiraling ramp? No.
View Quote
I agree. It would be like literally moving a mountain. Twice.

The ramp would be a greater achievement than the pyramid itself.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would just be a really stupid way of doing it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#50]

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would just be a really stupid way of doing it.
View All Quotes

A spiraling ramp? No.

If they served no purpose, to build them in the first place is really stupid.

only a stupid motherfucker would build it.

Stupid motherfuckers are stupid motherfuckers.

There is no shortage of things built by stupid motherfuckers that at a glance lets you know it was stupid motherfuckers what built it.

The pyramids of Giza are not among them.

A pragmatic motherfucker built those, with a pragmatic purpose.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top