BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know that Douglas knocked Tyson out in that time frame, right?
View Quote

Saw that fight.

Tyson was grossly out of shape & it was after Cus D'Amato died. Tyson was dealing with his psycho wife & her mother.

How did Douglas do after beating Tyson though?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Rocky was fucking 10 years younger than Joe in that fight
He also had him by 90 pounds and 4 inches of arm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joe Louis.

Rocky beat him.

So Rocky still beat him.

ROCKY
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The Marciano crowd would watch him get wrecked. Clay or Tyson in their primes were the most dangerous boxers on the planet. Both had speed, power and the 3rd component, ring generalship. They were intelligent, they ought thought their opponents then ought fought them.

5'10" 185? He never faced anyone like Clay or Tyson. No one in his era had their combination of speed and power.  In this era, he would cut weight and fight as a light heavyweight.

Between Clay and Tyson, I'll pick Tyson but it's a coin toss.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh Bruce Lee could wup them all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tyson in a three way ticket with him, a big male chimp and a grizzly bear all in the ring simultaneously. All three high on meth and jabbed with cattle prods if they come within reach of the ropes.

Winner takes all.
View Quote

Jamie, pull that video up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard Times 1975 Charles Bronson vs Robert Tessier

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So Rocky still beat him.

ROCKY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joe Louis.

Rocky beat him.

So Rocky still beat him.

ROCKY

Rocky fought at something like 185 pounds. Last night we learned apparently he fought at 305 pounds.

Only on arfcom did Rocky have 90 fucking pounds on joe Louis.

"Even in Louis’ pugilistic dotage, however, there were more than a few of his backers who helped send him off as a 7-5 wagering choice over Marciano, and not solely for sentimental reasons. At 6-foot-2 and a career-high 213¾ pounds, Louis was 3½ inches taller and 29¾ pounds heavier than his squatty opponent, a physical prototype of future champs Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson. "
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Marciano crowd would watch him get wrecked. Clay or Tyson in their primes were the most dangerous boxers on the planet. Both had speed, power and the 3rd component, ring generalship. They were intelligent, they ought thought their opponents then ought fought them.

5'10" 185? He never faced anyone like Clay or Tyson. No one in his era had their combination of speed and power.  In this era, he would cut weight and fight as a light heavyweight.

Between Clay and Tyson, I'll pick Tyson but it's a coin toss.
View Quote

I wouldn't count out Marciano entirely, as both Joe Frazier and eventually Ali considered him to be a superior swarming slugging infighter to Joe Frazier.

Anyway its hard to compare fighters from such different areas though, since in Marciano's day most heavyweights came in light with the intent of being mobile and active as possible over the course of a long fight, while by Tyson's time, most heavyweights went out of their way to bulk up and were roided.

A Marciano that had a career in the '80s or later might have fought at his 1950s walk around weight of 220 lbs assuming he competed at heavyweight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jack Johnson
View Quote

Jaime Brockett - Legend of the USS Titanic (FULL)
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tyson with Kevin Rooney in his corner.
View Quote
Yes and with Cus D'Amato managing him
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ali was faster with single punches and the 1-2, while Tyson was faster with combinations, and certainly the harder puncher.

He wasn't actually that great on the inside though unless he was pressing a guy that was already hurt.

Tyson was unusual in that he did his best work from medium range. An elite "inside" or "outside" fighter could beat him at their preferred range, and there weren't too many outside fighters at heavyweight better than Ali.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call BS on that too, Tyson hand speed was faster and harder than Ali's. Tyson fought close-in while Ali used a jabbed to keep other away.

Ali was faster with single punches and the 1-2, while Tyson was faster with combinations, and certainly the harder puncher.

He wasn't actually that great on the inside though unless he was pressing a guy that was already hurt.

Tyson was unusual in that he did his best work from medium range. An elite "inside" or "outside" fighter could beat him at their preferred range, and there weren't too many outside fighters at heavyweight better than Ali.

The thing that everybody forgets about Ali is that he could also absorb a lot of punishment and still keep going.  Plus, he didn't just fight in the ring:
Ali told reporter Dick Schaap that it was part of a longstanding pre-fight strategy of his: "I like to get a man mad, because when a man's mad, he wants ya so bad, he can't think, so I like to get a man mad."
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Tyson was a beast, what most people aren't mentioning here is he was shorter than almost everyone maybe even everyone he fought.  He had the speed, the ability, the endurance and smarts to get it done.  I should have won $100 on the first Holyfield fight but the bitch that I bet wouldn't pay me.  Also I was in Vegas for before that fight, I think this was my first time in Vegas and I told my dad that I should put $100 on Holyfield and he said do it.  I'd never bet on a fight and didn't even know what to do so I didn't.  I was still nervous when I finally did it for the first time a decade at least a decade later.

There was a Russian dude I enjoyed watching back in the early-mid 90's, had a crazy reach and as a result used to get lots of low blows when he threw an uppercut. They used to put shorts on his heavy bag it was such a problem.  If he had learned to control that uppercut I think we would have been talking about him.  I watched him punch a dude in the nuts so hard his feet came off the mat a couple of inches.  I think he ended up getting dq'd too many times.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tyson was a beast, what most people aren't mentioning here is he was shorter than almost everyone maybe even everyone he fought.  He had the speed, the ability, the endurance and smarts to get it done.  I should have won $100 on the first Holyfield fight but the bitch that I bet wouldn't pay me.  Also I was in Vegas for before that fight, I think this was my first time in Vegas and I told my dad that I should put $100 on Holyfield and he said do it.  I'd never bet on a fight and didn't even know what to do so I didn't.  I was still nervous when I finally did it for the first time a decade at least a decade later.

There was a Russian dude I enjoyed watching back in the early-mid 90's, had a crazy reach and as a result used to get lots of low blows when he threw an uppercut. They used to put shorts on his heavy bag it was such a problem.  If he had learned to control that uppercut I think we would have been talking about him.  I watched him punch a dude in the nuts so hard his feet came off the mat a couple of inches.  I think he ended up getting dq'd too many times.
View Quote

One of the Klitschko brothers?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top