BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 530 of 753)
Page / 753
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
New or returning anime I thought had a great and/or promising premiere:

Spy x Family (this is the first time I watched the premiere for a new anime and then immediately rewatched it in its entirety)

Skeleton Knight in Another World

Date A Live

Komi

Aharen is Indecipherable

The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

Spy x Family (this is the first time I watched the premiere for a new anime and then immediately rewatched it in its entirety)

Date A Live

Komi

Aharen is Indecipherable

View Quote

Spy x Family - check

Skeleton Knight - check (but it’s possible that he’s going to start to annoy me)

Date A Live - check (probably, that is - I’ve only recently started on S1, but I have a soft spot for bunnies with floppy ears)

Komi - haven’t seen it, don’t know anything about it

Aharen - didn’t make it thru ep. 1 - what am I missing?

The Executioner - check

(I would add ESTAB Life to that list)

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

Spy x Family - check

Skeleton Knight - check (but it’s possible that he’s going to start to annoy me)

Date A Live - check (probably, that is - I’ve only recently started on S1, but I have a soft spot for bunnies with floppy ears)

The Executioner - check

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Date A Live

Komi

Aharen is Indecipherable

Spy x Family - check

The Executioner - check

Aharen is Indecipherable is just a cute anime with wholesome humor.  That type of anime isn't for everyone.  Especially people with diabetes.

If you didn't like Aharen then you probably wouldn't like Komi.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Usually I find arguments about grammar or semantics boring, but I am not entirely bored seeing someone essentially argue "the Merriam-Webster's dictionary is wrong and I am right." I can certainly see how others would be though.
View Quote

Please don't use your words as my own. I never said the definitions were wrong.  I said the usage changes by context which is exactly why Merriam Webster has multiple parts to each definition. Are you saying that is incorrect?  Look at your own definition of coerce and the fact force isn't mentioned in the first part. Only compel. Look at your definition of compel. There is an OR between forcefully and irresistibly.  I used the word correctly.  Look at the synonyms for coerce. Urge, drive, and impel are synonyms.  Which is exactly how I used it yet you are focusing on the other ways to use the same word.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Date A Live

Komi

Aharen is Indecipherable

View Quote

I haven't got to Date Alive yet but Skeleton Knight was really good. I hope it keeps it up. I put spy family in my queue but finished reading a book and forgot to watch it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#6]
Are we getting Wholesome again?  I swear this conversation happens every 2 weeks.

BTW should we also have another definition?

"Holesome" = When all the holes get some.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By iliketatertots:

Please don't use your words as my own. I never said the definitions were wrong.  I said the usage changes by context which is exactly why Merriam Webster has multiple parts to each definition. Are you saying that is incorrect?  Look at your own definition of coerce and the fact force isn't mentioned in the first part. Only compel. Look at your definition of compel. There is an OR between forcefully and irresistibly.  I used the word correctly.  Look at the synonyms for coerce. Urge, drive, and impel are synonyms.  Which is exactly how I used it yet you are focusing on the other ways to use the same word.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451575/Screenshot_20220409-213707_png-2343934.JPG
View All Quotes

Usually I find arguments about grammar or semantics boring, but I am not entirely bored seeing someone essentially argue "the Merriam-Webster's dictionary is wrong and I am right." I can certainly see how others would be though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451575/Screenshot_20220409-213707_png-2343934.JPG

Last attempt to explain it and then I'm done because this has gotten old. There are slightly different definitions for "coerce," but ALL THREE of Merriam-Webster's definitions for "coerce" on their website include "force" or "compel."  "Compel" means "to drive or urge forcefully or irresistibly."  ALL OF THEM include the use of "force" in some way.  These are literally incontrovertible facts and based on those facts either you were wrong when you kick started this by telling me I used the word "forced" incorrectly OR the Merriam-Webster's dictionary is wrong.  My money wouldn't be on the Merriam-Webster's dictionary being the one that was wrong.

Feel free to get the last word in if you want, but I'm done. At least until it, or some variation of it, gets brought up again next month.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Back to anime.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mort:

BTW should we also have another definition?

"Holesome" = When all the holes get some.
View Quote

Speaking of…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
What if the girl has telekinesis powers and uses them on the dude all the time for kicks?
View All Quotes
I gave Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie a try.

In the first two minutes the male MC face plants after clumsily tripping on a rock laying on the sidewalk and then has a bird nearly shit on his head causing him to trip on a curb, fall over a rope, and land on his ass.

https://c.tenor.com/dlHoXWh5tEcAAAAd/yeah-i-cant-do-this-cant-do-this.gif
What if the girl has telekinesis powers and uses them on the dude all the time for kicks?

I just watched it.

Through much of the first episode, I was getting something of a Horimiya vibe (uncool boyfriend, cute girlfriend with an overprotective temper, sort of thing).

...but the little exchange at the end, with the hand being put over his mouth, has me wondering what sort of secret is being hidden.

I think this is going to be one of those shows where you watch the first episode thinking it's going to be one type of show, then you get blindsided by what's really going on in the story in the second episode (though School Live did the reveal during the end credits of the first episode, as I recall).  Then you realize there were hints that something was up, scattered through the first episode.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

I think I'll watch it again, to see if I can find more clues.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]

I love that anime.  Here is the post I made a while back about it:

I HIGHLY recommend Hinamatsuri.  It's classified as comedy, slice of life, sci-fi, and supernatural and I have NEVER seen a 12/13 episode anime that gave me more literal LOL moments.  Especially one that was fairly wholesome.  There were multiple individual episodes that caused me to laugh more than other comedy anime did during their entire series.  

The plot is hard to describe, but its basically about a loli terminator with telekinetic powers who goes back in time, runs into a playboy Yakuza member, and forces him to act as her father.  He hates it at first, but then he realizes how useful a loli terminator with telekinetic powers can be in his line of work.  Naturally another loli terminator character arrives to hilariously try to kill her.  She even has a "I need your clothes, boots, and your motorcycle" arrival scene.

This is basically a 6 minute version of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX_w9byWmSY

There is also a dub and, if you're not opposed to dubs, I recommend that since some of the humor doesn't translate as well in the sub.  Either version is hysterical though.
View Quote

The manga carries the story a but further if I remember correctly. Hinamatsuri is bust a gut funny and Hitomi is the bast part

The Youngest Bartender - Hinamatsuri

Also this is the best anime fight ever and it's a total throwaway

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#12]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

The manga carries the story a but further if I remember correctly. Hinamatsuri is bust a gut funny and Hitomi is the bast part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQ7jl543Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWadLSwCg2I
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

I love that anime.  Here is the post I made a while back about it:

I HIGHLY recommend Hinamatsuri.  It's classified as comedy, slice of life, sci-fi, and supernatural and I have NEVER seen a 12/13 episode anime that gave me more literal LOL moments.  Especially one that was fairly wholesome.  There were multiple individual episodes that caused me to laugh more than other comedy anime did during their entire series.  

The plot is hard to describe, but its basically about a loli terminator with telekinetic powers who goes back in time, runs into a playboy Yakuza member, and forces him to act as her father.  He hates it at first, but then he realizes how useful a loli terminator with telekinetic powers can be in his line of work.  Naturally another loli terminator character arrives to hilariously try to kill her.  She even has a "I need your clothes, boots, and your motorcycle" arrival scene.

This is basically a 6 minute version of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX_w9byWmSY

There is also a dub and, if you're not opposed to dubs, I recommend that since some of the humor doesn't translate as well in the sub.  Either version is hysterical though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQ7jl543Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWadLSwCg2I

Hitomi might be the best part, but this is best girl.

Attachment Attached File

And yeah, that fight was nuts.

Thankfully the anime was fairly wholesome and not “wholesome” because…

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Tokyo dome is packed for 86 Anniversary event.

Season 2 announcement might be imminent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JPN:

I just watched it.

Through much of the first episode, I was getting something of a Horimiya vibe (uncool boyfriend, cute girlfriend with an overprotective temper, sort of thing).

...but the little exchange at the end, with the hand being put over his mouth, has me wondering what sort of secret is being hidden.

I think this is going to be one of those shows where you watch the first episode thinking it's going to be one type of show, then you get blindsided by what's really going on in the story in the second episode (though School Live did the reveal during the end credits of the first episode, as I recall).  Then you realize there were hints that something was up, scattered through the first episode.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes

In the first two minutes the male MC face plants after clumsily tripping on a rock laying on the sidewalk and then has a bird nearly shit on his head causing him to trip on a curb, fall over a rope, and land on his ass.

I just watched it.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

Second time watching it has me thinking the secret may be a little more mundane.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Tokyo dome is packed for 86 Anniversary event.

Season 2 announcement might be imminent.
View Quote

Best girl of March 2022: Vladilena Milize.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Second time watching it has me thinking the secret may be a little more mundane.

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

I just watched it.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I found reading your speculation to be 100 times more entertaining than the episode itself.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:53:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:00:17 AM EDT
[#18]

I found reading your speculation to be 100 times more entertaining than the episode itself.
View All Quotes

I just watched it.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I guess I've seen too many anime that went for a completely unexpected plot twist between the first episode and the second one.  It's just that the hand over the mouth bit at the end of the first episode makes me think there has to be some secret they aren't letting us know, yet.

The speculation after watching it the second time, is much more plausible than the speculation after watching it the first time, and if that turns out to be what is going on, then it has more of a Horimiya vibe than I first thought.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

give it a rest dude. go watch a fucking dub or something.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Last attempt to explain it and then I'm done because this has gotten old. There are slightly different definitions for "coerce," but ALL THREE of Merriam-Webster's definitions for "coerce" on their website include "force" or "compel."  "Compel" means "to drive or urge forcefully or irresistibly."  ALL OF THEM include the use of "force" in some way.  These are literally incontrovertible facts and based on those facts either you were wrong when you kick started this by telling me I used the word "forced" incorrectly OR the Merriam-Webster's dictionary is wrong.  My money wouldn't be on the Merriam-Webster's dictionary being the one that was wrong.

Feel free to get the last word in if you want, but I'm done. At least until it, or some variation of it, gets brought up again next month.

give it a rest dude. go watch a fucking dub or something.

Literally the first sentence: “last attempt to explain it and then I'm done.”

0:30 - 0:37

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:09:34 AM EDT
[#20]

I guess I've seen too many anime that went for a completely unexpected plot twist between the first episode and the second one.  It's just that the hand over the mouth bit at the end of the first episode makes me think there has to be some secret they aren't letting us know, yet.

The speculation after watching it the second time, is much more plausible than the speculation after watching it the first time, and if that turns out to be what is going on, then it has more of a Horimiya vibe than I first thought.
View All Quotes

I just watched it.

Some speculation:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

The one for School Live was great. Those are the best ones.  The ones where you don’t get it when it’s happening, but after the curtain is pulled back it’s “oh, I should have seen that coming.”

Having said that: I would be shocked if this one had some crazy twist.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#21]
This makes me feel better about my struggles learning Japanese. You guys are arguing about what english words mean.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:29:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#22]

View Quote

Bunny with floppy ears in S1 of Date A Live?

Unless you mean the “puppet” I’m drawing a blank.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]
@JPN I saw where Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie is being put on hold because of a COVID outbreak.  You might have to wait a little longer to see if any of your theories are right.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to reluctantly watch the 2nd episode of Shikimori but only because of JPNs point. I watched episode 1 in its entirety and my impression is that this series is top to bottom, in and out, all the way fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#28]
@JPN I saw where Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie is being put on hold because of a COVID outbreak.  You might have to wait a little longer to see if any of your theories are right.
View Quote

Studio closed until April 17th, then some time to get caught back up... so... two weeks?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to reluctantly watch the 2nd episode of Shikimori but only because of JPNs point. I watched episode 1 in its entirety and my impression is that this series is top to bottom, in and out, all the way fucking retarded.
View Quote

At the very least, it's a romance about a tomboyish girl who is trying to be more cute and feminine, and a weak, clumsy/unlucky guy who is trying to be more manly, similar to Horimiya's concept (but without the flat chest).  If they didn't include something along the lines of my speculation after watching it the second time, they missed out on an opportunity to add some depth (and likely comedy) to her backstory, and the scene near the end of the first episode makes less sense (to the point that I would agree with the retarded assessment).
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't hurt me my healer is so painfully hoaky I can't finish the first episode.  When the monster you are fighting starts conflict mediation dialog between the 2 main characters you have gone too far.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know if there are any plans for an uncensored version of Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department?

I watched E1 (not great, but I’ll give it a few more episodes) and the nudity was very lazily censored. Usually the type of stuff you see on censored versions of ecchi anime.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DprvdDgnrt] [#32]
Don't hurt me my healer is so painfully hoaky I can't finish the first episode.  When the monster you are fighting starts conflict mediation dialog between the 2 main characters you have gone too far.
View Quote

I hope that’s not true

Me and one other person here need our new tanned bully
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

I hope that's not true

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

I hope that's not true

I didn't stick around long, the characters look like they were extras in castle crashers and the dark elf will not fill in for you Nagatoro fetish.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/56183E71-B9F0-41F6-86EC-3DE7AD4FF3D4_jpe-2344060.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/56183E71-B9F0-41F6-86EC-3DE7AD4FF3D4_jpe-2344060.JPG

Yoshino or Yoshinon.

Take your pick.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know if there are any plans for an uncensored version of Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department?

I watched E1 (not great, but I’ll give it a few more episodes) and the nudity was very lazily censored. Usually the type of stuff you see on censored versions of ecchi anime.
View Quote

Don't know about an uncensored version - but if you're a fan of subtle or dry humor or poking fun at anime tropes and/or skewering the idiocies of typical corporate life, it's a great series.

I really enjoyed it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Glad I am not the only one.  The background character in the first episode was the best part of the show.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
So far this seems to be the OP of the season according to /a/. I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Sometimes I'm most amused by the simplest things...

From Hinamatsuri:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Turns out the anime is based on a manga.  The manga is more subtle than the anime's first episode, concerning the hints that she's hiding something, and they changed up the order of events (similar to how they changed Nagatoro to cover more chapters by the end of the season), so I'm hoping the anime reveals the secret much more quickly than the manga did.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Turns out the anime is based on a manga.  The manga is more subtle than the anime's first episode, concerning the hints that she's hiding something, and they changed up the order of events (similar to how they changed Nagatoro to cover more chapters by the end of the season), so I'm hoping the anime reveals the secret much more quickly than the manga did.
View Quote

Should I pick up the manga? How many chapters will I have to read before I learn that it isn't as stupid as it looks?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Should I pick up the manga? How many chapters will I have to read before I learn that it isn't as stupid as it looks?
View Quote

The early chapters of the manga are short, and the story doesn't flow as well as the later chapters (which makes the changes in the anime easier to understand how they justified it).  It is a high school romantic comedy with some drama mixed in concerning the growth of the characters and their interactions with each other, with the romantic duo not really being what a person might think they are at first glance, making it somewhat similar to Horimiya (though Horimiya comes closer to a 'mature' rating).  The clumsy/unlucky bit seems to be stressed more in the beginning, probably just to get the point across that everybody that has known him for a while is not surprised when such things happen around him.  

If you liked Horimiya, you might like this, but the manga for this series waited about 125 chapters to reveal the big secret from the backstory, while Horimiya was much quicker to reveal secrets in the couple's backstories.  As I said, I'm hoping that the anime's change in the pacing of the story, along with being more blatant about the clues, means they are planning to do the reveal much quicker.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#42]

The early chapters of the manga are short, and the story doesn't flow as well as the later chapters (which makes the changes in the anime easier to understand how they justified it).  It is a high school romantic comedy with some drama mixed in concerning the growth of the characters and their interactions with each other, with the romantic duo not really being what a person might think they are at first glance, making it somewhat similar to Horimiya (though Horimiya comes closer to a 'mature' rating).  The clumsy/unlucky bit seems to be stressed more in the beginning, probably just to get the point across that everybody that has known him for a while is not surprised when such things happen around him.  

If you liked Horimiya, you might like this, but the manga for this series waited about 125 chapters to reveal the big secret from the backstory, while Horimiya was much quicker to reveal secrets in the couple's backstories.  As I said, I'm hoping that the anime's change in the pacing of the story, along with being more blatant about the clues, means they are planning to do the reveal much quicker.
View Quote
The best thing from Horimiya was Hori saying baka.

Hori San saying Baka | Baka compilation | Horimiya

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#43]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCuJSG6gLY

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCuJSG6gLY

A bit of a difference in the reaction to the guy saying something embarrassing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#44]
Is anyone else somewhat disappointed in The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest or In the Land of Leadale?

Both feel more like a generic Mary Sue: The Anime to me.

I completely understand the OP MC trope, and have no issue when it's done correctly. Characters like Ainz, Diablo, Rimaru, and Hajime all seem to be well thought out, and their abilities and power levels are generally explained quite well.

Matthias (Strongest Sage) and Keina (Leadale) both feel like their power levels are completely handwaved in comparison. It's hard to explain exactly why their characters feel so off to me, but they do. Perhaps it's that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how magic actually works in their world, and they can simply make up whatever magical spell they need at the moment. It's like they have a magical "I win" button, which they just spam repeatedly.

Sure, Ainz and Rimaru are also completely OP, but at least they do so with style. Matthias and Keina's characters just feel flat to me for some reason.

I also have a specific question regarding Keina... How is she level 1,100 (iirc) when the other two players, one of which has been there for 10 years, are both only around 400? Why is she the only max level player, and why is there such a disparity between her and the other players' levels? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that rant off my chest, and see if anyone felt the same way about those two shows. Again, I'm not against overpowered MCs, but I am against lazy Mary Sue MCs.

Opinions, anyone?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#45]
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:
Is anyone else somewhat disappointed in The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest or In the Land of Leadale?

Both feel more like a generic Mary Sue: The Anime to me.

I completely understand the OP MC trope, and have no issue when it's done correctly. Characters like Ainz, Diablo, Rimaru, and Hajime all seem to be well thought out, and their abilities and power levels are generally explained quite well.

Matthias (Strongest Sage) and Keina (Leadale) both feel like their power levels are completely handwaved in comparison. It's hard to explain exactly why their characters feel so off to me, but they do. Perhaps it's that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how magic actually works in their world, and they can simply make up whatever magical spell they need at the moment. It's like they have a magical "I win" button, which they just spam repeatedly.

Sure, Ainz and Rimaru are also completely OP, but at least they do so with style. Matthias and Keina's characters just feel flat to me for some reason.

I also have a specific question regarding Keina... How is she level 1,100 (iirc) when the other two players, one of which has been there for 10 years, are both only around 400? Why is she the only max level player, and why is there such a disparity between her and the other players' levels? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that rant off my chest, and see if anyone felt the same way about those two shows. Again, I'm not against overpowered MCs, but I am against lazy Mary Sue MCs.

Opinions, anyone?
View Quote

I thought The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest was entertaining trash while In the Land of Leadale was just trash.  I kept watching it waiting for something to happen, but the last two episodes were probably the worst of the series.  They were so boring I barely even remember what happened and I watched it like a month ago.  Something about her building a house and adopting some rando little girl or some shit.

Admittedly, the vast majority of the joy I got from The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest was because of Iris.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#46]

Matthias (Strongest Sage) and Keina (Leadale) both feel like their power level is completely handwaved in comparison. It's hard to explain exactly why their characters feel so off to me, but they do. Perhaps it's that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how magic actually works in their world, and they can simply make up whatever magical spell they need at the moment. It's like they have a magical "I win" button, which they just spam repeatedly.
View All Quotes

Matthias (Strongest Sage) and Keina (Leadale) both feel like their power level is completely handwaved in comparison. It's hard to explain exactly why their characters feel so off to me, but they do. Perhaps it's that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how magic actually works in their world, and they can simply make up whatever magical spell they need at the moment. It's like they have a magical "I win" button, which they just spam repeatedly.

Mattias used magic to extend his lifespan in his previous life, and spent much of it researching magic.  He actually did create new magic spells and new magic items in that previous life.  The main restriction in his new life is that his new body hasn't yet gotten to the point that it can withstand the strain of the higher end spells he cast in his previous life.

Keina was a high end player in her previous life (if you look at it as previous life) and was given some authority by the system to create new magic spells or skills, due to her having completed certain quests and leveled up as much as she did.  She's essentially a demi-god, in that world.

They haven't leveled up much since being reincarnated/transferred/trapped in that world.  Their levels were at that point, or a little lower, the last time they logged into the game that is so similar to this world.  Rather than transferring or reincarnating into an isekai as a starting level player, they each transferred as a character they had been roleplaying in the game, with the appearance, level, skills, abilities, and equipment their character had in the game.  Raising levels involves some risk in combat, and they were more inclined to take that risk when they knew it was just a game and they could respawn.  In this new world, they have to live with the danger of complete 'game over'(death) when taking that sort of risk.  

Keina was such a high level, because she had been living in an ICU bed with the game as her main escape from what she was going through in the hospital.  She was essentially living online in that game, while other players had to deal with their offline lives restricting how much time they spent in the game.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#47]

Mattias used magic to extend his lifespan in his previous life, and spent much of it researching magic.  He actually did create new magic spells and new magic items in that previous life.  The main restriction in his new life is that his new body hasn't yet gotten to the point that it can withstand the strain of the higher end spells he cast in his previous life.

Keina was a high end player in her previous life (if you look at it as previous life) and was given some authority by the system to create new magic spells or skills, due to her having completed certain quests and leveled up as much as she did.  She's essentially a demi-god, in that world.

They haven't leveled up much since being reincarnated/transferred/trapped in that world.  Their levels were at that point, or a little lower, the last time they logged into the game that is so similar to this world.  Rather than transferring or reincarnating into an isekai as a starting level player, they each transferred as a character they had been roleplaying in the game, with the appearance, level, skills, abilities, and equipment their character had in the game.  Raising levels involves some risk in combat, and they were more inclined to take that risk when they knew it was just a game and they could respawn.  In this new world, they have to live with the danger of complete 'game over'(death) when taking that sort of risk.  

Keina was such a high level, because she had been living in an ICU bed with the game as her main escape from what she was going through in the hospital.  She was essentially living online in that game, while other players had to deal with their offline lives restricting how much time they spent in the game.
View All Quotes

Even with her being able to play all the time, I still don't buy the idea that Keina was the only max level player in the game world. Unless the game is brand new, I'd say the majority of MMORPG players have at least one max level character. The idea that only she and some noobs were trapped in the game world seems a bit far-fetched to me, even for a trash isekai. Where are all of the other high level players?

Log Horizon was a much better example, where the majority of players were max level or close to it, but there were also newer players with low level characters, due to the anticipation of the new expansion. The newer players seemed to be in the minority though, which is what one would expect with a long-lived MMORPG. Old games generally don't have a lot of new players.

Again, both Matthias and Keina's magic seems to be comprised of spells somehow always specifically tailored for the task at hand. It just feels lazy to me, like they are the textbook definition of a Mary Sue.

Heck, even Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear did a better job explaining why the MC's magic was so overpowered. She had the specific ability to cast anything she could imagine, and it would be even more powerful if imagined in the form of a bear. She was also as ruthless as Goblin Slayer when it came to her methods of extermination, which gave her bonus style points.

Being an RPG gamer at heart, I have an aversion to characters or abilities that feel completely inconsistent with the rest of the game world. That's how these two characters feel to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Even with her being able to play all the time, I still don't buy the idea that Keina was the only max level player in the game world. Unless the game is brand new, I'd say the majority of MMORPG players have at least one max level character. The idea that only she and some noobs were trapped in the game world seems a bit far-fetched to me, even for a trash isekai. Where are all of the other high level players?

View Quote

That was the big mystery, and why she was looking for the other towers.  

She was the only top level player (that she knew of) that showed up in this world, and the few players she encountered were around mid-level.  The rest of the world was what would have been NPCs in the game world, but this new world appeared to be a real world that had been created as a copy of what the game world would have been 200 years after all the players left the game world when it was shut down.  The other players told her the game server was being shut down before they got transferred to this world, and there didn't seem to be much temporal continuity in when former players showed up in the new world.

The anime left some unanswered questions.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#49]
If anybody is curious, I did a comparison between the first episode of Shikimori and the manga chapters.

The bit at the beginning, where Izumi leaves his house and meets Shikimori (before they start walking together), is not in the manga (at least not that I can recall or find by skimming the chapters).  From there it's

ch1
ch6
first part of ch18
ch2
rest of chapter ch18
ch3

A bit of jumping around, with a little rewriting.  Makes it hard to even guess at how the pacing of the upcoming episodes is going to go.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#50]
On the subject of Spy X Family and "wholesome", here is something from /a/ ya'll might find interesting.

Attachment Attached File

I'm not that anon, btw.
Page / 753
Who watches Anime? (Page 530 of 753)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top