User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 533 of 752)
Page / 752
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:
I know you guys are more interested in the new shows being released, but are there any older shows you might recommend for someone fairly new to anime?

I'm almost finished with Ergo Proxy, which I've really enjoyed so far, and could use some more recommendations like that. It looks like it was from 2006-2007, which is what got me thinking about older anime series that might not get mentioned much anymore.

What are your favorite older anime?
View Quote

Elfen Lied (2004).

Very violent with at least one episode being pretty "wholesome."  This was actually the first anime I watched on my own.  I saw the cover and thought it'd be about cute cat girls.  It wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
E2 for Skeleton Knight in Another World was slower than E1, but still good.  I like how the MC is OP, but not OP AF.

MC picked himself up a pokemon.
View Quote

Okay so it's a Thursday show.

I kind of am learning when this season's schedule is.

So Sheild hero Wed

Skeleto Knight Thurs.

Spy X family Sat

Kaguya Sat.

Looks like the hero show will fit right in on Fri
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DprvdDgnrt] [#3]
I know you guys are more interested in the new shows being released, but are there any older shows you might recommend for someone fairly new to anime?

I'm almost finished with Ergo Proxy, which I've really enjoyed so far, and could use some more recommendations like that. It looks like it was from 2006-2007, which is what got me thinking about older anime series that might not get mentioned much anymore.

View Quote

Bakemonogatari
Madoka magica
K-on!
Serial exparmemts lain
To Love Ru
Heavens lost property
Oreimo
Toradora
Haibane Renmei
Claymore
Spice & Wolf
Soul Eater

Do you have a genre in mind?, I can suggest anime all day the limiting doctor is my memory lol

ETA I wasnt thinking about being close to Ergo Proxy I haven’t seen it but I know that this whole list can’t all be similar to one thing lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

How old are we talking.

Because I would recommend anything with a current following.

Close to ergo proxy...

So cyberpunk, Utopian/post apocolyptic.

Ghost in the shell

Psycho Pass

Appleseed

Cowboy Beebop

Shinmoneta

Steins Gate.

I would suggest more but that seems to be most of the stuff I have in my head that loosely fits the theme.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Elfen Lied (2004).

Very violent with at least one episode being pretty "wholesome."  This was actually the first anime I watched on my own.  I saw the cover and thought it'd be about cute cat girls.  It wasn't.
View Quote

This show is fantastic and needs to be watched by all
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I am not familiar with Ergo Proxy but I see that it is available on Funimation so I will check it out.

I don’t have a lot of experience with older anime series - the ones that I know have probably been mentioned here many times, such as “Serial Experiments Lain” and the entire Monogatari series (such as “Bakemonogatari”), but if by chance you haven’t seen them, they are well worth seeking out.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

So Sheild hero Wed

Skeleto Knight Thurs.

Spy X family Sat

Kaguya Sat.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:
E2 for Skeleton Knight in Another World was slower than E1, but still good.  I like how the MC is OP, but not OP AF.

So Sheild hero Wed

Skeleto Knight Thurs.

Spy X family Sat

Kaguya Sat.

Best girl is on Thursdays too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Elfen Lied (2004).

View Quote

It was definitely on the darker side, but still good. I put it in the "serious anime" category, along with others like Brynhildr in the Darkness, Ergo Proxy, and 86.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

I am not familiar with Ergo Proxy but I see that it is available on Funimation so I will check it out.

I don’t have a lot of experience with older anime series - the ones that I know have probably been mentioned here many times, such as “Serial Experiments Lain” and the entire Monogatari series (such as “Bakemonogatari”), but if by chance you haven’t seen them, they are well worth seeking out.

View Quote

Yeah I love the whole series but if someone googles “monogatari series” I can come off pretty confusing

But anyone who watches Bake will likely go on to watch everything else
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]

It was definitely on the darker side, but still good. I put it in the "serious anime" category, along with others like Brynhildr in the Darkness, Ergo Proxy, and 86.
View All Quotes

Elfen Lied (2004).

Have you gotten around to watching Gate yet?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

Yeah I love the whole series but if someone googles “monogatari series” I can come off pretty confusing

View All Quotes

I was trying to figure out the proper watch order and there was no clear and obvious order I could find.  I even went to a monogatari message board and saw hardcore fans arguing with each other about what order the anime should be watched in. That's when you know you're fucked.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Bakemonogatari
Madoka magica
K-on!
Serial exparmemts lain
To Love Ru
Heavens lost property
Oreimo
Toradora
Haibane Renmei
Claymore
Spice & Wolf
Soul Eater

Do you have a genre in mind?, I can suggest anime all day the limiting doctor is my memory lol

ETA I wasnt thinking about being close to Ergo Proxy I haven’t seen it but I know that this whole list can’t all be similar to one thing lol
View Quote

The recommendations don't have to be like Ergo Proxy. I'm more curious about shows that are no longer mentioned because everyone else has already seen them.

My biggest problem is having to guess at which titles might be good, or stop and read every single description. I've already burned through most of the descriptive titles like Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town and Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered But Overly Cautious.

This thread has been a great source of recommendations. If it gets mentioned here, it goes on the list (for the most part).

Serial Experiments Lain is currently on that list, and I really enjoyed Spice & Wolf.

Keep the recommendations coming!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#13]

View Quote

Yes, and I definitely enjoyed it!

I've burned through a ton of isekai, but am still unsure of what other genres to look into, or how some anime are even categorized.

I've enjoyed a lot of the non-isekai fantasy genre as well, such as Goblin Slayer and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]

I was trying to figure out the proper watch order and there was no clear and obvious order I could find.  I even went to a monogatari message board and saw hardcore fans arguing with each other about what order the anime should be watched in. That's when you know you're fucked.
View Quote

Yes but those guys were virgins

Just watch Bakemonogatari it’s only like 13 eps and so damn good

Nisemonogatari is excellent and works right after Bake especially if your into oral hygiene
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]

I've burned through a ton of isekai, but am still unsure of what other genres to look into, or how some anime are even categorized.

I've enjoyed a lot of the fantasy genre as well, such as Goblin Slayer and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?.
View All Quotes

I've enjoyed a lot of the fantasy genre as well, such as Goblin Slayer and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?.

If you enjoyed Gate you should give Outbreak Company a try.  It has a similar plot, but it's not as good, IMO.  Still very watchable though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
ConcernedCitizen, you've seen Haganai, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

That's actually one reason I've avoided some of the larger series such as Fate/Zero and its other variations. A Certain Magical Index, Scientific Accelerator, & Scientific Railgun is another series I'm interested in, but it seems to have a convoluted timeline.

I'm not keen on jumping back and forth between different series and episodes, so I've been avoiding those so far.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#18]

Nisemonogatari is excellent and works right after Bake especially if your into oral hygiene
View All Quotes

It’s also useful to recognize that the titles themselves are playing with words…

For example, ‘monogatari’ means ‘a story’, while ‘bakemono’ means ‘a monster’ - so while it’s not really proper Japanese, smashing them together gives you ‘bakemonogatari’ which kinda sounds like a monster story.

Similarly, ‘nisemono’ means ‘a fake’ so if you smash that one with ‘monogatari’ I guess that it ends up sounding like a story about fake things, etc.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Kukuku... Yes, I have delved into the Akashic Records and researched that of which you speak.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#20]

It’s also useful to recognize that the titles themselves are playing with words…

For example, ‘monogatari’ means ‘a story’, while ‘bakemono’ means ‘a monster’ - so while it’s not really proper Japanese, smashing them together gives you ‘bakemonogatari’ which kinda sounds like a monster story.

Similarly, ‘nisemono’ means ‘a fake’ so if you smash that one with ‘monogatari’ I guess that it ends up sounding like a story about fake things, etc.

View Quote

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out, how to better understand some of these titles.

I like the very descriptive and straightforward ones, but have no clue about most of the Japanese titles. I'm just guessing at this point...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#21]

View Quote
Ergo Proxy is one of my favorites.

I would highly recommend these for older anime In a similar vein:

Desert Punk - more upbeat, but pretty much post-apocalyptic

Gurren Lagann - same as above

Speed Grapher - a good sci-fi story

Casshern Sins - post human/ post-apocalyptic

Trigun - a big classic. futuristic western style

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - a good action show
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DprvdDgnrt] [#22]

That's actually one reason I've avoided some of the larger series such as Fate/Zero and its other variations. A Certain Magical Index, Scientific Accelerator, & Scientific Railgun is another series I'm interested in, but it seems to have a convoluted timeline.

I'm not keen on jumping back and forth between different series and episodes, so I've been avoiding those so far.
View Quote

Fate is a really good series and definitely worth the effort it’s actually pretty simple once explained

In the main line series there are only 2 different wars that happened but the second one was told 3 different ways basically the original source material was a visual novel and you could take 3 different paths depending on which female protagonist you focused on Sabers route (fate stay night) Rins route (Unlimited blade works) and Sakuras route(Heavens feel)

So Fate/Zero happened and then FSN, UBW and HF happened at the same time

Fate Stay Night was the first to get an anime and it’s the only one not made by Ufotable so it’s really not nearly as good as other ones

There’s 2 watch orders either watch Fate Stay Night first then Watch Fate/Zero (as a prequel) then watch either UBW or Heavens feel next it doesn’t matter witch way

Or just skip over Fate Stau Night (no biggie) and do Fate Zero then UBW/Heavens Feel

All othe Fate anime are spin offs they have some loose connections with the main series but can be watched in any order

BTW Fate/Zero 2 season anime, UBW is a 2 season anime or condensed movie version and Heavens Feel is a movie trilogy

I saw Heavens Feel 1 in theaters and that was such a cool experience this films look incredible

@iliketatertots just curious what’s your take on this?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#23]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:

I would highly recommend these for older anime:

View Quote

I've watched some of Desert Punk, and it's pretty goofy!

Another older one I tried to watch was Berserk, but it was a lot harder to get into and I've given up on it for now.

There seems to be a major shift in anime style and quality once you go back closer to 2000 or so. Some of them are pretty rough to watch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Kukuku... Yes, I have delved into the Akashic Records and researched that of which you speak.

https://pa1.narvii.com/7097/5d89afa7faadd31ffcc32f4ac7ceee1eb3894767r1-500-281_hq.gif

View All Quotes

https://pa1.narvii.com/7097/5d89afa7faadd31ffcc32f4ac7ceee1eb3894767r1-500-281_hq.gif

Haha, good man.  That anime had gotten very little (maybe none) attention in this thread and I kinda made it my mission to get as many here to watch it as possible.  I can't recall a single person saying they didn't like it.

Hinamatsuri is another not super popular anime that is VERY funny. Highly recommended.

And if you're looking for something very "wholesome" in a fantasy setting: Redo of Healer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]

And if you're looking for something very "wholesome" in a fantasy setting: Redo of Healer.
View Quote

I prefer it’s spiritual successor Higehero
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

If you like sci-fi cop stuff that ventures into philosophical issues, you might like Psycho-Pass.  The first season came out around a decade ago, and I think it is up to 3 seasons, now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Haha, good man.  That anime had gotten very little (maybe none) attention in this thread and I kinda made it my mission to get as many here to watch it as possible.  I can't recall a single person saying they didn't like it.

Hinamatsuri is another not super popular anime that is VERY funny. Highly recommended.

View All Quotes

I watched Hinamatsuri recently, simply because it was mentioned in this thread.

I love how once he realized how powerful she was, he simply accepted it. "Well, I guess this is my life now."

If it's been mentioned in the last 50 pages or so, odds are it's either been watched already or is on the watch list.

That's why I thought I would ask about older anime that may not get discussed as frequently.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JPN:

If you like sci-fi cop stuff that ventures into philosophical issues, you might like Psycho-Pass.  The first season came out around a decade ago, and I think it is up to 3 seasons, now.
View Quote

Looks good, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#29]

I watched Hinamatsuri recently, simply because it was mentioned in this thread.

I love how once he realized how powerful she was, he simply accepted it. "Well, I guess this is my life now."

If it's been mentioned in the last 50 pages or so, odds are it's either been watched already or is on the watch list.

That's why I thought I would ask about older anime that may not get discussed as frequently.
View Quote

Not sure if we have ever discussed Death Parade it’s pretty dark (duh lol) and the premise is really unique but any explanation would spoil ep1 it’s the type of show that if I can get someone to watch the first episode then they’ll be hooked and it’s nice and short
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I might as well suggest one more that is probably not on anyone’s list of the best-ever anime series, but might nevertheless be worth watching:

The Asterisk War (2015)

It was actually the first-ever anime series that I watched - so it introduced me to a lot of anime tropes, such as high-school-age girls from rich and powerful families who have big boobs and flamboyant hairstyles, sporting special skills and outsized egos, who attend elite schools in sci-fi-futuresque city-states where they train to compete in massively popular tournaments using huge and ridiculously overpowered and sentient weapons, while also competing for the attention of an improbably skillful but hopelessly socially inept male student as he somehow manages to build his harem while accidentally doing serial faceplants in the girl students’ boobs, making lots of faux pas related to taboos such as entering the girls’ dorms, or ending up getting into unwise fight-to-the-death duels, or attracting unwanted attention from powerful criminal gangs, and so on and so forth.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

As "wholesome" as Redo was, it can't compete for "wholesomeness" with an anime that has an underage homeless girl forced into prostitution.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
A Certain Magical Index, Scientific Accelerator, & Scientific Railgun is another series I'm interested in, but it seems to have a convoluted timeline.

View Quote

The order that they were released is

A Certain Magical Index season 1
A Certain Scientific Railgun season 1
A Certain Magical Index season 2
A Certain Scientific Railgun season 2
A Certain Magical Index season 3
A Certain Scientific Railgun season 3

A Certain Scientific Accelerator is somewhere near the end of that list.  I don't recall exactly when it came out in relation to the third seasons of the other two, and haven't gotten around to watching it, yet.  Railgun and Accelerator are both spinoffs of Index.

If you want to watch Index and Railgun in the chronological order of the events that happen in them, it is roughly

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Another older one I tried to watch was Berserk, but it was a lot harder to get into and I've given up on it for now.

There seems to be a major shift in anime style and quality once you go back closer to 2000 or so. Some of them are pretty rough to watch.
View All Quotes

I would highly recommend these for older anime:

True, some get pretty rough, though the older ones in this list are done pretty well for the time.

A great old one, unrelated to these, is Golden Boy. It's a great goofy comedy.

Great boob animation in the first episode

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#34]
I might as well suggest one more that is probably not on anyone’s list of the best-ever anime series, but might nevertheless be worth watching:

The Asterisk War (2015)

It was actually the first-ever anime series that I watched - so it introduced me to a lot of anime tropes, such as high-school-age girls from rich and powerful families who have big boobs and flamboyant hairstyles, sporting special skills and outsized egos, who attend elite schools in sci-fi-futuresque city-states where they train to compete in massively popular tournaments using huge and ridiculously overpowered and sentient weapons, while also competing for the attention of an improbably skillful but hopelessly socially inept male student as he somehow manages to build his harem while accidentally doing serial faceplants in the girl students’ boobs, making lots of faux pas related to taboos such as entering the girls’ dorms, or ending up getting into unwise fight-to-the-death duels, or attracting unwanted attention from powerful criminal gangs, and so on and so forth.

View Quote

The Asterisk War was great!

Have you seen Chivalry of a Failed Knight? It felt like a cheap knock-off to me.

I just remembered another older anime I really enjoyed, Last Exile. It was a bit slow at times, but the aerial dogfights were cool!

I also really enjoyed Akudama Drive and Dimension W.

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Steampunk, Cyberpunk, or sci-fi...

*Edit*

Oh, and Mechs!

Knight's and Magic was awesome!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
His Pokmon looks a lot like a certain shock mouse but is less annoying.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]

The order that they were released is

A Certain Scientific Accelerator is somewhere near the end of that list.  I don't recall exactly when it came out in relation to the third seasons of the other two, and haven't gotten around to watching it, yet.  Railgun and Accelerator are both spinoffs of Index.

If you want to watch Index and Railgun in the chronological order of the events that happen in them, it is roughly

View Quote

And that's exactly why I've been avoiding it so far...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#37]
True, some get pretty rough, though the older ones in this list are done pretty well for the time.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/AFvZhiuq9Rqu1CLASo/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9525dbfa11d50fd10540bf1ef2dc4c5a553ed58073b&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g
View Quote

Nothing beats KonoSuba for boob animation!

Konosuba S2 OVA Giant humanoid robot vs Darkness

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Full Metal Panic! (near future sci-fi with mercenaries fighting terrorists and a dash of high school romantic comedy, released about two decades ago),

followed by

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (released a year or two after the first season),

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (released a couple years later), and

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (released 3 or 4 years ago, after most people had given up on there being another season).
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H4-aVBbE-8

View All Quotes

https://media2.giphy.com/media/AFvZhiuq9Rqu1CLASo/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9525dbfa11d50fd10540bf1ef2dc4c5a553ed58073b&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

I would call it close. Golden Boy was way before its time
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

The sound effects are what makes the difference!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#41]

View Quote

Highschool of the Dead set the standard for mammary undulation physics.

ETA:  Just don't go hoping for a second season.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Have you seen Chivalry of a Failed Knight? It felt like a cheap knock-off to me.

I just remembered another older anime I really enjoyed, Last Exile. It was a bit slow at times, but the aerial dogfights were cool!

*Edit*

Oh, and Mechs!

View All Quotes

The Asterisk War (2015)

*Edit*

Oh, and Mechs!

Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a new one for me - I see that it is available on HiDive so I will plan to watch it.

I have watched Last Exile, and as I recall I really liked the airplane and airship designs, but somehow don’t remember much beyond that.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#43]

The sound effects are what makes the difference!
View Quote

View Quote
Speaking of boobs, that's all I remember from Witchblade.

I should rewatch it
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh @ConcernedCitizen

Black Lagoon might be right up your alley. Not scifi or anything, but a good action anime with a great story and gun play.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mort:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mort:

I thought it kinda looked like a vulpix combined with a ninetales.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Agreed.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh @ConcernedCitizen

Black Lagoon might be right up your alley. Not scifi or anything, but a good action anime with a great story and gun play.
View Quote

Looks promising!

I have Terror in Resonance on the list too, based on your previous recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

Agreed.

https://c.tenor.com/ir5gNAQK5WAAAAAd/highschool-of-the-dead-komuro-takashi.gif

Highschool of the Dead and Cat Shit One are perfect anime for arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#49]

Looks promising!

I have Terror in Resonance on the list too, based on your previous recommendation.
View All Quotes
Oh @ConcernedCitizen

Looks promising!

I love both of them. Perhaps more so than Ergo Proxy, and I really enjoy Ergo Proxy.

They're always on my rewatch list, along with anime like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (currently rewatching Champloo between the new shows) which are also great older ones everyone needs to see.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Keep the recommendations coming!
View Quote

Haibane Renmei is slow but has a really good world build and the mystery of it does remind me a little of Ergo Proxy. Has layers
Page / 752
Who watches Anime? (Page 533 of 752)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top