Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
Waku waku
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked up the complete Blu-Ray collections for Clannad, Knights of Sidonia, Grisaia, Akame Ga Kill! and Parasyte during the Sentai Filmworks spring sale. Wife saw the stack on the table with Clannad on top and immediately went on a rant about how she couldn't handle watching it again.

The manga / light novel / bluray collection is continuing to grow out of hand. Just crossed over 500 volumes the other day. I have Jujutsu, Chainsaw Man, the Gantz omnibus', Komi, and the Berserk and Blade of the Immortal deluxe volumes all on perpetual pre-order for new releases. Have been enjoying the first couple episodes of Spy X Family, and it just went on sale on RSA today, so that may be next.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#8]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Oooooooooh my God Excel Saga Such a fucking awesome anime
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

True but I generally gravitate to complete LSD trip animes like Excel Saga and Space Dandy.

And just like that, I have another show to add to the list!

That's what I love most about this thread!

The voice actor really seems to be enjoying herself with this role. She's so energetic, it's hard to keep up!

I can't help but wonder how much caffeine and/or cocaine was consumed during the recording sessions...
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m so far behind you guys, just finished season one of SAO last night, which is next in the order?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iliketatertots] [#11]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
I’m so far behind you guys, just finished season one of SAO last night, which is next in the order?
View Quote

I know this is going to sound like a smart ass answer but it's title is actually Sword Art Online 2.

Then it goes Alicization and then Alicization War of the Underworld.  There is also the movie Ordinal Scale that happens between Season 2 and Alicization.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By iliketatertots:

I know this is going to sound like a smart ass answer but it's title is actually Sword Art Online 2.
View Quote

Ha, yeah, that’ll teach me!
I didn’t look far enough down the list, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#13]
View Quote

After S1 comes the abridged version of S1 which is, IMO, more entertaining and MUCH, MUCH funnier.

SAO Abridged Parody: Episode 01

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

No problem. If you like the part where he is in the shooter game there is a Sword Art Online spinoff anime called Gun Gale Online that was pretty good in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:16:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#16]

No problem. If you like the part where he is in the shooter game there is a Sword Art Online spinoff anime called Gun Gale Online that was pretty good in my opinion.
View All Quotes

Absolutely…

P-Chan is my waifu.

(Well, um, would you believe LLENN?)

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

Absolutely…

P-Chan is my waifu.

(Well, um, would you believe LLENN?)

View Quote

I see nothing wrong with either statement you made.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#19]

The voice actor really seems to be enjoying herself with this role. She's so energetic, it's hard to keep up!

I can't help but wonder how much caffeine and/or cocaine was consumed during the recording sessions...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

True but I generally gravitate to complete LSD trip animes like Excel Saga and Space Dandy.

And just like that, I have another show to add to the list!

That's what I love most about this thread!

IIRC the original VA for Excel blew out her vocal cords and had to be recasted towards the end of the series.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#20]
My bizarre anime streak continues...

Kill la Kill

What is it with anime and scissors?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Kill la Kill was great.
One of the first shows I watched, Ryuuko will always have a place in my harem.

And on a side note, I’m 3 episodes into SAO/GGO, thanks for the recommendation guys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Scissors are connected to some Japanese folklore/superstitions.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#23]
My bizarre anime streak continues...

Kill la Kill

View Quote

This might be relevant to your interests.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Sexy-Cosplay-and-Nerd-Girls/142-2359844/&page=7#i98398304

Here are some CoC compliant ones:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I hate to interrupt the real-life adorbs moe moe Kill Half-Scissor Girl La Cosplay Kill girl, but…

I’ve started watching The Fruit of Grisaia (Gurizaia no Kajitsu) on Crunchyroll - up to ep. 5 so far.

Initially it seemed to be a cross between Full Metal Panic and The Irregular at Magic High School (in particular, the MCs of those shows seem to have a lot in common) - but the more that I watch it, the more it becomes apparent that something deeper is going on there.

The writers are evidently carefully teasing out some complex and important backstories and character development that are otherwise hidden within the tropes and the fluff.

Anyone else watch it?

A lot of series that were either carried over from Funimation or otherwise obscured by the passage of time now seem to be emerging to the surface, and Grisaia is one of those that I’ve recently stumbled into. It appears that it may be worth the effort to get into it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate to interrupt the real-life adorbs moe moe Kill Half-Scissor Girl La Cosplay Kill girl, but…

I’ve started watching The Fruit of Grisaia (Gurizaia no Kajitsu) on Crunchyroll - up to ep. 5 so far.

Initially it seemed to be a cross between Full Metal Panic and The Irregular at Magic High School (in particular, the MCs of those shows seem to have a lot in common) - but the more that I watch it, the more it becomes apparent that something deeper is going on there.

The writers are evidently carefully teasing out some complex and important backstories and character development that are otherwise hidden within the tropes and the fluff.

Anyone else watch it?

A lot of series that were either carried over from Funimation or otherwise obscured by the passage of time now seem to be emerging to the surface, and Grisaia is one of those that I’ve recently stumbled into. It appears that it may be worth the effort to get into it.
View Quote

I found the first season watchable though I enjoyed the comedy/harem/ecchi early episodes more than the serious/dark/humorless later episodes.  I heard S2 wasn’t as good so I skimmed the summery of the first episode…

Click To View Spoiler  

After reading that I declined to watch S2 and had zero desire to ever rewatch S1, but fans of “wholesomeness” will probably love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

I found the first season watchable though I enjoyed the comedy/harem/ecchi early episodes more than the serious/dark/humorless later episodes.  I heard S2 wasn’t as good so I skimmed the summery of the first episode…

Click To View Spoiler  

After reading that I declined to watch S2 and had zero desire to ever rewatch S1, but fans of “wholesomeness” will probably love it.
View All Quotes

Anyone else watch it?

Click To View Spoiler  

Well, then, I certainly didn’t see that coming…

But… whatever… gonna keep watching, at least for a while.

It seems that somehow or other our favorite creepy loner box-cutter girl has gotten ahold of a Walther PPK equipped with one of those murder-death-kill never-runs-out-of-ammo hi-cap mags, and evidently she has the skillz and the will to use it - who even knew that you could just order one of those online…

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Anyone else watch it?

View Quote

I've watched the entire series and own it on Blu-ray. It is definitely different but it was good in my opinion.  All the characters have some type of screwed up past and how they interact with each other reflects it.  

The second part The Labyrinth of Grisaia is a shorter type of movie that explains the background of the MC and how the events in his life shaped his present situation.  

The Third part The Eden of Grisaia is technically the end but it was based off of visual novels so I don't know if there is more to the story that wasn't animated.  

It is definitely a little ecchi in parts and there are some seriously messed up parts of the plot but all in all it was something that I found good enough that I bought it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I kept watching for girls zipping around on heavily modified personal watercraft, shooting at each other with water guns...

You May NEVER See Japan Like This (So I did it for you!)
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Well, then, I certainly didn't see that coming

But whatever gonna keep watching, at least for a while.

It seems that somehow or other our favorite creepy loner box-cutter girl has gotten ahold of a Walther PPK equipped with one of those murder-death-kill never-runs-out-of-ammo hi-cap mags, and evidently she has the skillz and the will to use it - who even knew that you could just order one of those online

View All Quotes
I hate to interrupt the real-life adorbs moe moe Kill Half-Scissor Girl La Cosplay Kill girl, but

I've started watching The Fruit of Grisaia (Gurizaia no Kajitsu) on Crunchyroll - up to ep. 5 so far.

Anyone else watch it?

A lot of series that were either carried over from Funimation or otherwise obscured by the passage of time now seem to be emerging to the surface, and Grisaia is one of those that I've recently stumbled into. It appears that it may be worth the effort to get into it.

I found the first season watchable though I enjoyed the comedy/harem/ecchi early episodes more than the serious/dark/humorless later episodes.  I heard S2 wasn't as good so I skimmed the summery of the first episode

Click To View Spoiler  

After reading that I declined to watch S2 and had zero desire to ever rewatch S1, but fans of "wholesomeness" will probably love it.

It seems that somehow or other our favorite creepy loner box-cutter girl has gotten ahold of a Walther PPK equipped with one of those murder-death-kill never-runs-out-of-ammo hi-cap mags, and evidently she has the skillz and the will to use it - who even knew that you could just order one of those online

Is it set prior to 1968?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JPN:
I kept watching for girls zipping around on heavily modified personal watercraft, shooting at each other with water guns...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqF6CJdwTM
View Quote

Ha - yeah, wouldn’t it be great if…

But I enjoyed watching that video even without…

It’s not as though I’ve actually lived there (I haven’t), rather I’ve only visited a few times, but it was interesting to see places that I know reasonably well from the land (such as the general Sumidagawa area) from an entirely different vantage. In fact, when I was last in Tokyo in 2018, I had made plans to walk to Odaiba over the Rainbow Bridge around sunset, but had to scuttle those plans at the last minute - so it’s totally interesting to see the bridge and the island from the water instead.

That video left me with an intense craving for Japanese junk food - the nearest Japanese market is about an hour from here, might be able to go there on Sunday, but maybe I can find a package of Pocky before then.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#31]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Is it set prior to 1968?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
I hate to interrupt the real-life adorbs moe moe Kill Half-Scissor Girl La Cosplay Kill girl, but

I've started watching The Fruit of Grisaia (Gurizaia no Kajitsu) on Crunchyroll - up to ep. 5 so far.

Anyone else watch it?

A lot of series that were either carried over from Funimation or otherwise obscured by the passage of time now seem to be emerging to the surface, and Grisaia is one of those that I've recently stumbled into. It appears that it may be worth the effort to get into it.

I found the first season watchable though I enjoyed the comedy/harem/ecchi early episodes more than the serious/dark/humorless later episodes.  I heard S2 wasn't as good so I skimmed the summery of the first episode

Click To View Spoiler  

After reading that I declined to watch S2 and had zero desire to ever rewatch S1, but fans of "wholesomeness" will probably love it.

Is it set prior to 1968?

It’s hard to know for sure, but the reference to getting it ‘online’ would seem to negate that possibility (unless time travel), and although the anime as a whole is evidently set in Japan, ep. 5 seemed to have a dream sequence (?) that took place in the US and that included a road trip in a now-classic muscle car, but she was not in that sequence at all, and gun control laws or not, it hardly seems likely that even the daughter of a railroad tycoon could have casually ordered one of those online. (Disclaimer: It’s fiction, so…)

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Who's the gal?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mort:
Who's the gal?
View All Quotes
Who's the gal?

Some ditsy girl that likes to cosplay and can't see the difference between flirting and joking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Anyone else watch it?
View Quote
So first off, you have to know that Grisaia started as an adult visual novel series. As with most of those games, it was a harem choose your route game. You "play" through each route having a developing (very sexual) relationship with each of the female characters.

I believe it ended up being three games. The anime was then made after all three games had already been released and after they did a manga run.

The whole premise is founded that every character in the series is basically broken for a variety of really fucked up reasons. The games won some awards and it ended up with a bit of a cult following. It really does a good job of balancing humor and seriousness though. I enjoyed all of it.

Makina is fucking hilarious, but Amane is best girl.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#36]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
So first off, you have to know that Grisaia started as an adult visual novel series. As with most of those games, it was a harem choose your route game. You "play" through each route having a developing (very sexual) relationship with each of the female characters.

I believe it ended up being three games. The anime was then made after all three games had already been released and after they did a manga run.

The whole premise is founded that every character in the series is basically broken for a variety of really fucked up reasons. The games won some awards and it ended up with a bit of a cult following. It really does a good job of balancing humor and seriousness though. I enjoyed all of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180878/232323_png-2364786.JPG
View All Quotes

Anyone else watch it?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180878/232323_png-2364786.JPG

The context that you and iliketatertots and others have provided is pretty helpful.

Not being a gamer or a manga or LN reader, and not even being tuned in to most gaming or even to much of popular culture, I find that I'm often 'late to the party' when attempting to understand certain anime series.

And yet, I totally enjoyed series such as Steins; Gate and Persona 5 even without having played the antecedent game(s), but plenty of others are fairly opaque to me as a result of not having the game experience.

For example, in addition to Grisaia I'm sure that there are many others where I'm missing vital context without having had that prior experience, such as when viewing Princess Connect Re:Dive or Granblue Fantasy, or even when watching really explicit game spinoffs such as Monster Strike and Shadowverse. The entire 'Fate' series probably also fits into that group.

There are others where not even knowing about a prior game connection probably did not affect my enjoyment, such as Uma Musume Pretty Derby (which was great) or Azur Lane (which was also fantastic) or Idoly Pride (not that that one was particularly memorable).

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#37]
There's nothing any anime can do to compete with Spy x Family this season, but Skeleton Knight in Another World has surprisingly made it's way into the #2 spot.  

Also, the first to join the "harem" is a busty silver-haired elf warrior (the scene with her trying to squeeze through the window was hilarious) and the next is a cat girl ninja.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
There's nothing any anime can do to compete with Spy x Family this season, but Skeleton Knight in Another World has surprisingly made it's way into the #2 spot.  

Also, the first to join the "harem" is a busty silver-haired elf warrior (the scene with her trying to squeeze through the window was hilarious) and the next is a cat girl ninja.

https://y.yarn.co/992bfbe4-4ef2-4f1d-ae52-0ec260e25b07_text.gif
View Quote
I tried the novels and manga and really couldn't get into it. Was just another one out of millions of revival in another world/video game Isekai stories. It was just very bland and generic. I'll have to give the anime a chance and see if it's any better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I tried the novels and manga and really couldn't get into it. Was just another one out of millions of revival in another world/video game Isekai stories. It was just very bland and generic. I'll have to give the anime a chance and see if it's any better.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#40]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/ACB4BD5C-1BBE-475D-8980-14B8C5712B23_jpe-2365047.JPG
Kind of nice to have an op isekai protagonist who doesn't think very hard about cutting down murdering/raping bandits and stealing their stuff.  Then has a good time grinding monsters and doing rescue quests.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#41]
Kind of nice to have an op isekai protagonist who doesn't think very hard about cutting down murdering/raping bandits and stealing their stuff.  Then has a good time grinding monsters and doing rescue quests.
View Quote

More like a real gamer.
I’m here to beat dragons, bandits, falmer and draugur.
Kill them all, steal their loot, and have sex with every wench, available female, and even a vampire.
No ragerts, no shed tears, and above all, have fun doing it.

Always bothered me how isekai’d players trapped in some MMO game turn whimp when faced with their dream life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Kind of nice to have an op isekai protagonist who doesn't think very hard about cutting down murdering/raping bandits and stealing their stuff.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/ACB4BD5C-1BBE-475D-8980-14B8C5712B23_jpe-2365047.JPG

Fuckin' A.

I imagine Shield Hero would be a lot better if Naofumi wasn't such a pussy.  I mean fuckin' hell, you can't even find the balls to put down an unrepentant serial torturer, slaver, and rapist of children?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrFisher] [#44]
I realize I'm about 20 pages late to the party on this one, but I finally finished 86.  God damn.  That show has the most masterful use of subtle details and symbolism that I've seen since Evangelion, but they actually seem to be intentional about it and not just dropping red herrings everywhere like Anno's depressed ass.

As for episode 9,
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Always bothered me how isekai’d players trapped in some MMO game turn whimp when faced with their dream life.
View Quote

In at least some examples, the lack of a respawn after death, is understandably going to have an impact on how they approach the problem of grinding levels.  If they start out in the new world with high stats and equipment, they probably aren't going to be quite as cautious as if they start out with ordinary beginner stats and equipment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Kind of nice to have an op isekai protagonist who doesn't think very hard about cutting down murdering/raping bandits and stealing their stuff.  
https://c.tenor.com/H-b1klWLlTYAAAAC/overlord-melt.gif
Even Ains has his wimpy moments, until the liche emotion suppression kicks in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
If for some reason any of you care I'm @GattoSeh on the new twitter
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
View Quote

If someone with a manga character avatar calls you a bundle of sticks in Japanese, thats me testing Elon's new policies.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

If someone with a manga character avatar calls you a bundle of sticks in Japanese, thats me testing Elon's new policies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

I get that reference.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Page / 763
Who watches Anime? (Page 540 of 763)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top