Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Who watches Anime? (Page 672 of 766)
Page / 766
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I was finally able to take my 12 y/o daughter to see Suzume this afternoon. Definitely worth it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Been reading some LNs since I'm only watching a few of the new anime this season. I'm really enjoying Full Clearing Another World Under a Goddess With Zero Followers: The Weakest Mage in Class.

Spoilers for the first couple of chapters of the first book.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Great anime too.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Another stellar episode of Hell’s Paradise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
View Quote

Definitely…

Lots of ‘eye candy’ in that episode (if haunting, otherworldly visuals can be considered ‘eye candy’).

On a separate note, a ‘little witch’ episode without an appearance by the little witch herself was interesting - the battle scenes were certainly extremely ‘kinetic’.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Mashle had me laugh out loud. The fact that brute force can overcome everything is an awesome theme
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

Definitely…

Lots of ‘eye candy’ in that episode (if haunting, otherworldly visuals can be considered ‘eye candy’).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Definitely…

When I was reading your post and saw “eye candy” at first I thought you were referring to the hot ninja girl.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
Mashle had me laugh out loud. The fact that brute force can overcome everything is an awesome theme
View Quote

Can’t wait to see how he wins the Quiddich match.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Demon Slayer returned to form with a great episode.

The first few minutes seemed like more of the same nonsense from last week, but then…

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#9]
The voice of the male Japanese voice actor who plays the King in Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts (Niehime to Kemono no Ou) sounded very familiar.

His name is Satoshi Hino - and his VA credits are pretty spectacular - see https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=15417 - FWIW, apparently he was born in the US.

(scroll down to the “Cast in:” section for his anime VA credits)

For example, he was the voice of Ainz in the Overlord series. He also has the role of one of the most highly skilled demon slayers in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (the series as well as in Mugen Train), but strangely enough I did not recognize his voice in that one.

The princess ‘Sari’ VA sounds quite familiar as well - I will have to look her up.

While the series has a bit of an Ancient Magus feel to it, and Hino has a VA role in that series, it is not the lead Magus role.

ETA: Yes, Kana Hanazawa https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=53741 also has had many memorable VA roles, including Mayuri Shiina in Steins;Gate, as Mayumi Saegusa in Irregular at Magic High School, and as Saria in Fruit of Evolution.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oscardeuce] [#11]
Anyone see the Fathom Events/Studio Guibli Spirited Away Live on Stage?

Almost 3 hours, no intermission

If not, I highly recommend!

Spirited Away Live on Stage

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By arilulu14:

Good on you, I know how rough that can be especially with all the flash backs …… I’ve been going through arcs I originally watched the anime for in manga and my Skypiea volumes probably have a light film of dust at this point lol

But it really does all matter a major development happened that hasn’t even been animated yet that was first foreshadowed (at least to my knowledge) in skypiea

The next canon mini arc is …. Ummm ….. something special but then there is a solid stretch of good shit
View All Quotes
Well, boys, I finally did it.  It took over half a year, but I FINALLY powered my way through the shittiness that is the One Piece Skypiea arc.

Any other anime I would've quit long ago, but the prospect of having 800+ more mostly "watchable" episodes was enough for me to endure that snoozefest.

Good on you, I know how rough that can be especially with all the flash backs …… I’ve been going through arcs I originally watched the anime for in manga and my Skypiea volumes probably have a light film of dust at this point lol

But it really does all matter a major development happened that hasn’t even been animated yet that was first foreshadowed (at least to my knowledge) in skypiea

The next canon mini arc is …. Ummm ….. something special but then there is a solid stretch of good shit

Is that the Foxy pirates one?  Maybe it’s not because you said it was a “mini-arc” and Netflix has it as being 22 episodes.  Though I suppose that could be “mini” by One Piece standards.  Still double the episodes of the Naval Fortress arc though.

The first episode was okay.  However, when the Foxy pirates showed up about halfway through E2 I was, once again, hit by One Piece with a big helping of:

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
magic destroyers

wtf.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
magic destroyers

wtf.

View Quote

Make a list of all the fucked up stuff in Japanese pop culture and kinks and throw them on screen and call it plot
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Is that the Foxy pirates one?  Maybe it’s not because you said it was a “mini-arc” and Netflix has it as being 22 episodes.  Though I suppose that could be “mini” by One Piece standards.  Still double the episodes of the Naval Fortress arc though.

The first episode was okay.  However, when the Foxy pirates showed up about halfway through E2 I was, once again, hit by One Piece with a big helping of:

https://media.tenor.com/dlHoXWh5tEcAAAAC/yeah-i-cant-do-this-cant-do-this.gif
View Quote

That is absolutely what I meant haha ….. I wouldn’t have guessed it was 22 lol but there is something at the end after they’re done with Foxy that’s technically the same arc

Yeah it’s got some funny moments for sure but definitely overstays it’s welcome a bit …. I would try and watch it if I was you but if you do wanna skip over it a bit definitely watch the last few episodes
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I watched your name for the first time it was a good show and didn’t crush me emotionally
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Make a list of all the fucked up stuff in Japanese pop culture and kinks and throw them on screen and call it plot
View Quote

Yeah, the first two episodes were sort of funny, that third one was…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]
About halfway through ep 1 of The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure Serving Gods Who Go Too Far and it was sounding kinda jarring, so I checked, and sure enough. Female VA voicing the MC. It'd be one thing if they could at least try to sound like a little boy, but I guess that's too much work. I am disappoint.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
About halfway through ep 1 of The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure Serving Gods Who Go Too Far and it was sounding kinda jarring, so I checked, and sure enough. Female VA voicing the MC. It'd be one thing if they could at least try to sound like a little boy, but I guess that's too much work. I am disappoint.

View Quote

Haven’t seen that one, but usually they do a good job with that Gon and Luffy have chicks playing them in theirs subs and dubs and I would have never guessed if I didn’t know better
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Haven't seen that one, but usually they do a good job with that Gon and Luffy have chicks playing them in theirs subs and dubs and I would have never guessed if I didn't know better
View All Quotes

Haven't seen that one, but usually they do a good job with that Gon and Luffy have chicks playing them in theirs subs and dubs and I would have never guessed if I didn't know better
This has only been the second anime where it was sufficiently noticeable that I kept getting pulled out of the story. That's why I checked.

I'm a pretty low grade weeb and don't know one VA from another for the most part. I know thinks like, hey, that's the guy who voiced Takami, or that's the guy who voiced that one demon lord, but I couldn't tell you names.

I tend more to notice tone, inflection, and speech patterns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Doubtful that the industry has any young boys working as voice actors, so their main option is to use women to voice boy characters that aren't old enough to have gone through puberty.  The success of that is going to vary from voice actor to voice actor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JPN:

Doubtful that the industry has any young boys working as voice actors, so their main option is to use women to voice boy characters that aren't old enough to have gone through puberty.  The success of that is going to vary from voice actor to voice actor.
View Quote

Correct. You need to be 18+ to be a voice actor. At least for Funimation.

" How to start a career in Funimation voice acting

The short answer lies in the “open auditions” policy posted on social media by Funimation. Per their website guidelines, you must first be over 18 and interested in voice acting for dubbing and anime to audition."
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Ep 3 of Demon Slayer went by so fast.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I get that. Hopefully this one won't follow the strongest exorcist path and retain the same VA beyond its due by date.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:
Anyone see the Fathom Events/Studio Guibli Spirited Away Live on Stage?

Almost 3 hours, no intermission

If not, I highly recommend!

Spirited Away Live on Stage

View Quote

Not that one in particular, but we’re planning on hitting a few of the Ghibli showings later in the year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I watched the first ep of I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too last night, and it was frustrating as hell. LOTS of Japanese text on screen conveying, seemingly, vital information, and zero translation. By the end, I was actually contemplating buying the manga just to know what the fuck was going on. One of these days, if I don't kick my shoes first, I'm probably gonna give in and learn Japanese.

In other news, I found a pretty good non-standard isekai whose MC is a Welch cat. Not even really a kiddy novel, it plays the premise straight (other than the cat being way smarter than he should be) A Cat's Guide to Bonding with Dragons: A Humorous Fantasy Adventure. Kindle version was $1.49, so it wasn't much of a risk.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#29]
In spite of all the really good anime out this season, right now my favorite seem to be leaning toward “Dead Mount Death Play”, a better than average reverse isekai.
Dark, funny, serious, and good plot in all the right measures.
And the hot, crazy, assassin zombie girl doesn’t hurt either!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:17:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#30]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
In spite of all the really good anime out this season, right now my favorite seem to be leaning toward "Dead Mount Death Play", a better than average reverse isekai.
Dark, funny, serious, and good plot in all the right measures.
And the hot, crazy, assassin zombie girl doesn't hurt either!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19372/IMG_3800_jpeg-2796091.JPG

View Quote
I'm stuck deciding between this and the silliness of KamiKatsu, the isekai that doesn't have an OP MC, and has a goddess about as useless as Aqua, if not more so. Plus Bertrand

Attachment Attached File

Demon Slayer seems to be picking up too, but that's just another season
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:53:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#31]
I watched the first ep of I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too last night, and it was frustrating as hell. LOTS of Japanese text on screen conveying, seemingly, vital information, and zero translation. By the end, I was actually contemplating buying the manga just to know what the fuck was going on. One of these days, if I don't kick my shoes first, I'm probably gonna give in and learn Japanese.

In other news, I found a pretty good non-standard isekai whose MC is a Welch cat. Not even really a kiddy novel, it plays the premise straight (other than the cat being way smarter than he should be) A Cat's Guide to Bonding with Dragons: A Humorous Fantasy Adventure. Kindle version was $1.49, so it wasn't much of a risk.
View Quote

I've noticed that subtitled anime often translates everything, including street or shop signs, character stats, and even the funny background words used to convey context or emotion. Here's a quick example:
Attachment Attached File

Dubbed anime, however, tends to completely skip these translations, leaving out a lot of context in the process.

A perfect example of this is Suzume.

Click To View Spoiler

I really wish more dubs would put in the effort to translate the written words seen on screen as well as the voices, rather than focusing only on translating the spoken word. No matter how insignificant it may seem, those small words and character stats often provide a lot of important context.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOTHERmaninblack] [#32]
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:

I've noticed that subtitled anime often translates everything, including street or shop signs, character stats, and even the funny background words used to convey context or emotion. Here's a quick example:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/OIP__3__jpeg-2796120.JPG

Dubbed anime, however, tends to completely skip these translations, leaving out a lot of context in the process.

Click To View Spoiler

I really wish more dubs would put in the effort to translate the written words seen on screen as well as the voices, rather than focusing only on translating the spoken word. No matter how insignificant it may seem, those small words and character stats often provide a lot of important context.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/OIP__3__jpeg-2796120.JPG

Click To View Spoiler

Sweet Baby Jeebus! That's simultaneously a good reason to watch subs and another big reason I'll never be able to watch them.

ETA: Got hold of the sub, and it's not translated there either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:

Demon Slayer seems to be picking up too, but that's just another season
View Quote

Demon Slayer is the only anime I’ve ever seen that had a scene so epic it caused me to literally have chills no matter how many times I rewatched it so, suffice it to say, the bar is pretty damn high.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Watching E2 of My One-Hit Kill Sister.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:16:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#35]
Watching E2 of My One-Hit Kill Sister.

https://media.tenor.com/mg0QH3Ui9-gAAAAC/this-is-getting-out-of-hand-now-there-are-two.gif
View Quote

Guy can’t even identify whose oppai his face is stuffed into without a program.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Guy can’t even identify whose oppai his face is stuffed into without a program.

View Quote

It’s fun trash

The demon chicks laugh cracks me the fuck up every time
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]

The demon chicks laugh cracks me the fuck up every time
View Quote

“Ku ku ku.”

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone try watching the new season of Ranking of Kings? I can't make it though the first episode.

Gotta say I thought last season had a lot better shows. I'm really enjoying Oshi no Ko, My love story with Yamada-kun, Demon Slayer and I got a Cheat Skill in Another World are my favorites. Dead Mount Deathplay and KamioKatsu are enjoyable. I find myself having to grind though the other shows.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

Anyone try watching the new season of Ranking of Kings? I can't make it though the first episode.
View Quote

No, but I will say that, while I did enjoy S1, it definitely had the feel of an anime that was likely going to go off the deep end after the initial story wrapped.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#40]

“Ku ku ku.”

https://media.tenor.com/lYmBf-a2ne8AAAAC/kobato-boku-wa-tomodachi.gif
View Quote

Hey, it's best girl from that one show, voiced by HanaKana!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Gotta say I thought last season had a lot better shows. I'm really enjoying Oshi no Ko, My love story with Yamada-kun, Demon Slayer and I got a Cheat Skill in Another World are my favorites. Dead Mount Deathplay and KamioKatsu are enjoyable. I find myself having to grind though the other shows.
View Quote

Ya I'm not sure what they are trying to do with ranking of kings.

I was thinking.  So this is going to be about his journey?  I guess this could be good.

But nope so far it's been a filler season?  I guess if they didn't adapt this stuff from the original I can see value in adding it but man. a bit of a disappointment.

I think

Oshi no Ko, Hell's paradise, and kamikatsu are going to make the list. Which is probably two or more shows less than what I was originally going to watch.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

View All Quotes

“Ku ku ku.”

Sounds like something a poopy vampire would say.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

My internet is acting up or something….I don’t see Meat anywhere in Hunter’s post
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]

“Ku ku ku.”

View Quote

Been awhile since I saw that one….. perhaps a re-watch so I can compare their laughs for science
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#45]

My internet is acting up or something….I don’t see Meat anywhere in Hunter’s post
View All Quotes

I figured a post claiming Kobato was Best Girl warranted a Sister Maria-type response.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Been awhile since I saw that one….. perhaps a re-watch so I can compare their laughs for science
View All Quotes

“Ku ku ku.”

I rewatched the sub last month.

The dub is still much funnier, IMO, but its nice to change it up every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

“Ku ku ku.”

Rofl
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#48]
Okay.. the legendary hero is dead just went from mid to effing hilarious these last 2 episodes.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay.. the legendary hero is dead just went from mid to effing hilarious these last 2 episodes.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Eh. I can't even make it through episode one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
Eh. I can't even make it through episode one.
View Quote

Yeah it’s been a grind to get here
Page / 766
Who watches Anime? (Page 672 of 766)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top