Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If the US had a crystal ball back then they wouldn't have fought they would have just let communism die it's eventual economic death. But there was a legit concern that communism was sustainable and would take over the world. The US had to stand up to oppression and tyranny.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a lot of confusion the Vietnam War.  Mostly perpetrated by Hollywood and the Liberals that like to gloat that the "Left" defeated the "Right". The truth is a little different that the "Ewoks v The Evil Empire" that the Left likes to portray.

Once troops were committed LBJ was a very stupid Commander in Chief.  He chose to fight the Communists in South Vietnam on their grounds.  That caused a tremendous number of casualties that could have been avoided with right strategic planning.  Nixon understood the failures of how LBJ fought the war and changed it big time.  He took the war to North Vietnam and prevailed.

Nixon kick the shit out the North Vietnamese so much that they agreed to sign the Paris Peace Accords, which allowed the existence of a free South Vietnam.  That was our objective from the beginning and we won.

However, that arrangement was only going to work as long as the US supported South Vietnam like we supported South Korea.

That victory against the Communists pissed off the Liberals in the US.  The Democrat controlled Congress, aided by a few stupid weak Republicans, passed  the Case-Church budget amendment that essentially defunded all military aid to South Vietnam.  That gave the Communists the green light to invade.

The US prevailed militarily in the war even despite LBJs stupidity.  The Liberals in Congress gave away the victory.
View Quote
Nixon and Kissinger both publicly admitted that they completely understood that the Paris Peace Accords would be ignored whenever it suited them by the North.  They didn't care, and while it's unclear if they understood that Congress had no intention of re-involving US combat forces, they both also admitted that (even with hindsight) they'd have still signed it knowing that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The left wing media. No one else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lockheed, Boeing and Raytheon
View Quote
MONSANTO
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody who was there.  Only the International and "american" communists if anyone did.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We won the fight, but Vietnam won the war without a doubt
View Quote
The State of Vietnam lost.

A bastard illegitimate insurgent political entity known as the Democratic Republic of Vietnam won.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the north achieved its strategic objectives.

the US did not.

how is this a question?
View Quote
My point in another thread. Folks here would argue with a possum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude .... the Russians had a WAAAAYYYYYY worse kill ratio that 2 to 1 ... in the battle for Leningrad they lost like 8 commies for every 1 fascist

ETA - sorry, don't know why i added this post to this thread, completely off topic ... its monday
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who lost more?

by the way, I am not going to say the US lost the war.
I dont know if we won but they sure lost more.
The same could be said of almost every battle on the eastern front in WW2  (post Stalingrad).  The Russian's lost sometimes twice the man power in huge battles that the Germans lost territory.
Dude .... the Russians had a WAAAAYYYYYY worse kill ratio that 2 to 1 ... in the battle for Leningrad they lost like 8 commies for every 1 fascist

ETA - sorry, don't know why i added this post to this thread, completely off topic ... its monday
That's because they were following Zapp Brannigan style tactics:  no matter the problem, throw more men at it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]
by the time we untucked ourselves and won the war militarily, we and the South Vietnamese has lost it politically

it was never winnable anyways, without a permanent occupation, because SV could never keep their political shit together
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Communism won.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That damn possum is wrong!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#12]
should have bombed the dams

Hell, we should have been in bed with Ho Chi Minh from the word go and said fu France and Vietnam would have never fell to communism
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The United States went to war in Southeast Asia to prevent the communists from seizing control of South Vietnam, which eventually, after suffering defeat after defeat on the battlefield,  they did.

Our ally, The Republic of Vietnam, was unable to create a viable political structure with which to govern, or military instution capable of defending it's own country, despite an incredible amount of aid from The US.

The United States won on the battlefield, but "Vietnamization" of the war failed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Did any country win? The USA sure didn't.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
We certainly didn't.  It wasn't that we couldn't, but we saw the precursors to Rules of Engagement and the lack of political will to win.  Besides, it was never about winning anyway.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the US did not.

how is this a question?
There is a truck load of baggage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
the liberals and the communists won.

I watched a documentary on Ho Chi Min and he thanked John Kerry, Jane Fonda and Hollywood for winning the war as he was about to surrender during the round the clock bombing of Hanoi
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Communism won.
View Quote
Yep.  Pretty simple when you break it down.

What was the goal:
US: stop communism
NV: spread communism

What was the result:
communism...

We were beat politically and negotiated an "honorable withdrawal" knowing full well NV was going to move in once we got out.

That's not to downplay what our soldiers did.  They did a fine job and kicked a lot of ass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the liberals and the communists won.

I watched a documentary on Ho Chi Min and he thanked John Kerry, Jane Fonda and Hollywood for winning the war as he was about to surrender during the round the clock bombing of Hanoi
View Quote
makes me sick!!!!!!!!

his quote should be plastered everywhere during election time!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The United States won on the battlefield, but "Vietnamization" of the war failed.
View Quote
I don't think that is correct.

It wasn't given a chance because the Democrat controlled congress defunded military aid to South Vietnam with the Case-Church budget amendment.

South Korea would have also fell if the US hadn't kept up its aid after the ceasefire was called.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would question that. Ho Chi Mihn died in 1969. John Kerry's atrocities speech was 1971 and Hanoi Jane's visit was 1972.
While I do firmly believe that John Kerry and Jane Fonda are pieces of shit and deserve a traitors death, I doubt Ho Chi Mihn thanked them.
Hollywood and the news media, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The defense contractors won.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Russia
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
North Vietnam won, South Vietnam lost. We wasted a ton of lives and money and still refused to learn the lesson.
View Quote
56,220 Americans lost
https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The military industrial complex.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Russia
View Quote
Who benefitted more from the war,Russia or China?

Here is a hint: you aren't reading this on a Russian screen and in a couple weeks everyone won't be waving American flags printed in Russia.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who benefitted more from the war,Russia or China?

Here is a hint: you aren't reading this on a Russian screen and in a couple weeks everyone won't be waving American flags printed in Russia.
View Quote
That's more about the old Vulcan proverb than about the VN war.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the US did not.

how is this a question?
you're not wrong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Arfcom is the only place on Earth where people think the US won the Vietnam War.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ayup. The US won handily, but the politicians refused to support the RVN after the Paris peace accords.
View Quote

^ this is not a picture of us winning handily.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on North and South Vietnam

There are still 2 vietnams.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Commies, but we were winning when I left.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top