User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was a pretty aircraft.

The F35C offers far greater capabilities. But it's kinda chonky looking. There's plenty of people who are of the opinion that 87% of the job is just to show up and look cool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were never as good as the leg humpers think they were.

The F35C offers far greater capabilities. But it's kinda chonky looking. There's plenty of people who are of the opinion that 87% of the job is just to show up and look cool.

I think the F35 is sexy.

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
America sold F14s to Iran under the Shaw's regime.  When the revolution happened they were then being flown by the Republican Guard who were now our enemies.  To make sure they did not get parts we started scrapping them instead of planning for the long term use so they were phased out.  

I'm sure there were other issues as well but the fact that The Iranians under the mullahs were now a sworn enemy and they were flying an American design fighter they had to be phased out.

kwg
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not to derail this thread too much, but why did we jump from the F-22 to the F-35? What happened to using F-24 (assuming the YF-23 retained the “F-23” part)? It will be interesting to see if, post-F-35, we go back to F-24 or go with F-36. My OCD will handle it better if we go back to sequential destinations.
View Quote

That's because they hired some folks from Smith & Wesson.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With LANTERN pods, GPS, and a few other upgrades it was a hell of a bomb truck in the end.
View Quote

It was never a good "bomb truck" either.

As I've posted several times, I flew with a couple former "Bombcat" pilots and RIOs who came over to fly F-15Es in the USAF, and to a person they all said that the Bombcat was a complete turd.

They also said they thought it was pretty good when they were flying it, but they just didn't know what a "good" air-to-ground platform was to actually compare it to before they flew the Strike Eagle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As I've posted several times, I flew with a couple former "Bombcat" pilots and RIOs who came over to fly F-15Es in the USAF, and to a person they all said that the Bombcat was a complete turd.

They also said they thought it was pretty good when they were flying it, but they just didn't know what a "good" air-to-ground platform was to actually compare it to before they flew the Strike Eagle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With LANTERN pods, GPS, and a few other upgrades it was a hell of a bomb truck in the end.

Fair enough, except the Strike Eagle can't land or take off on a carrier. At the end of it's life cycle compared to other Naval Aviation assets, it was a hell of a bomb truck that was never supposed to be a bomb truck, just like the F-15 was never designed to be that. But with the upgrades and service life extensions, it is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
America sold F14s to Iran under the Shaw's regime.
View Quote

Well, in fairness, the Shaw did run a bloody regime which needed bigger boats....

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fair enough, except the Strike Eagle can't land or take off on a carrier. At the end of it's life cycle compared to other Naval Aviation assets, it was a hell of a bomb truck that was never supposed to be a bomb truck, just like the F-15 was never designed to be that. But with the upgrades and service life extensions, it is.
View Quote

The ability to take off or land from a carrier doesn't endow it with any special air-to-ground capabilities.  It is just a turd that happens to takeoff and land on a carrier.

The "upgrades" still made it into a mediocre bomber at best.  It was never "one hell of a bomb truck", no matter how many times you repeat it.  I didn't fly it, but I sure heard about it from the guys who did, and they had precisely zero nice things to say about it.

From the placement of the targeting pod, which led to massive spots where the aircraft was blanking the field of view of the FLIR (leading to substantial limitations on weapon employment altitudes and azimuths), to the lack of systems integration between the GPS, the radar, the pod, and the jet (e.g. no ability to cross-cue or share target data across avionics), and the worst part apparently was the actual mechanization of how the pod was controlled from the back seat and the scope that the FLIR was actually viewed on....it was a cobbled together mess, an excuse to try and keep an obsolete aircraft relevant.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
There was myth and there was reality. Reality son.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Retired Tomcat RIO Ward Carroll has a great YouTube  channel:

https://youtu.be/WRGoQVjCcto
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The ability to take off or land from a carrier doesn't endow it with any special air-to-ground capabilities.  It is just a turd that happens to takeoff and land on a carrier.

The "upgrades" still made it into a mediocre bomber at best.  It was never "one hell of a bomb truck", no matter how many times you repeat it.  I didn't fly it, but I sure heard about it from the guys who did, and they had precisely zero nice things to say about it.

From the placement of the targeting pod, which led to massive spots where the aircraft was blanking the field of view of the FLIR (leading to substantial limitations on weapon employment altitudes and azimuths), to the lack of systems integration between the GPS, the radar, the pod, and the jet (e.g. no ability to cross-cue or share target data across avionics), and the worst part apparently was the actual mechanization of how the pod was controlled from the back seat and the scope that the FLIR was actually viewed on....it was a cobbled together mess, an excuse to try and keep an obsolete aircraft relevant.
View Quote

I'll continue to disagree with you based on apples to apples comparison. "compared to other Naval Aviation assets" I am not disagreeing about the F-15E being better and never was. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
View Quote

Beep boop beep?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Because of declining testosterone levels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparing an F14D with bombs to an F15E is not a fair comparison at all. While the F14 "had" some air to ground capabilities even when it first came out (despite never being put to use until near the end of its life), the "Bombcat" was really just an attempt to get some more life/use out of the Tomcat before its eventual demise. The F15E was *designed* to drop bombs. The F15 series was a better warplane than the F14 in all things, except, maybe long range interception (and frankly the F15 may have been just as good).

Guys who flew a "Bombcat" then flew an F15E and saying they didn't know how much the "Bombcat" sucked compared to an F15E is like someone saying they thought their Corvette was a great sports car until they drove a Ferrari and realized how much it sucked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think I heard... Somewhere that over half of F8s were written off in carrier landing mishaps.

Sometimes the human factor needs be accommodated. The F14 seems like a very un-ergonomic weapons system, there's no denying it's accident rate and availability. But given the number of people on this site who seem to look forward to speeding past the "using a rifle from a distance" phase to the "killing people over a can of beans with a piece of jagged rusting garbage" phase of the apocalypse...

If I had been in charge I would have said, phase out the F14. Keep the S3. Short legs can be counterbalanced, a carrier based tanker is useful and I don't care what they say. Using Superhornets for that job is silly. Using them exclusively is pure
View Quote

I don't think you understand what the CAP mission is.  
Is it best to turnover on station or on frequency?
How many intercepts should a CAP station be able to conduct before they are bingo fuel?
Is less than one the correct answer?  Because that's what the FA-118 gives you.
Have the enemy threats gotten longer or shorter ranges?

The standard cycle time for carrier cyclic ops was reduced BECAUSE of the short legs of the FA-18.
That creates a domino effect, reduces time to spot the deck for the next go, reduces time to reset the boat, a LOT of things are affected by the ridiculously short legs of the FA-18.

Make an easy flying aircraft like the FA-18 if that is your hobby, but for God's sake, build it with the capabilities needed.

We lost capability retiring the F-14s, lost capability retiring the A-6s, lost capability retiring the S-3s.

Carriers are now dependent on land based tankers to conduct their missions.
Carriers are dependent on land based ASW platforms for long range ASW screening an OTH targeting.
And there is no Alpha Strike capability anymore.
It is not possible to engage and defeat the archer with CAP before they shoot their arrows.

But hey, at least the recovery rate is higher...
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Go look up the range of the F-14 (hint - the Super Hornet actually has a longer ferry range than the Tomcat).

The Super Hornet gits a bad rap for range because 1. it's often conflated with the original Hornet, which was short ranged and 2. it's spent its service life lugging around heavy bomb loads deep deep inland.

Load it up for A2A and its range is virtually identical to the F14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With legs so short CAP was a meaningless endeavor.

I don't care how easy it is to fly, it's capabilities are a SIGNIFICANT step back.

Go look up the range of the F-14 (hint - the Super Hornet actually has a longer ferry range than the Tomcat).

The Super Hornet gits a bad rap for range because 1. it's often conflated with the original Hornet, which was short ranged and 2. it's spent its service life lugging around heavy bomb loads deep deep inland.

I'm talking FA-18s not Supers.

I was a CVN TAO when we still had a mix of F-14s and FA-18s, and the 18s sucked.
Later when I was CDCO we had all Hornets/Super Hornets and it wasn't drastically improved.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And just a dash of transonic research patent right back.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1953667.JPG
View Quote

George Cornelius texted me from 1943 and says hello...........

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]
They got rid of the Phoenix missile.

No need for the only weapon system that carried it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They got rid of the Phoenix missile.

No need for the only weapon system that carried it.
View Quote

What is the range of typical anti-ship cruise missiles carried by our enemies?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think you understand what the CAP mission is.  
Is it best to turnover on station or on frequency?
How many intercepts should a CAP station be able to conduct before they are bingo fuel?
Is less than one the correct answer?  Because that's what the FA-118 gives you.
Have the enemy threats gotten longer or shorter ranges?

The standard cycle time for carrier cyclic ops was reduced BECAUSE of the short legs of the FA-18.
That creates a domino effect, reduces time to spot the deck for the next go, reduces time to reset the boat, a LOT of things are affected by the ridiculously short legs of the FA-18.

Make an easy flying aircraft like the FA-18 if that is your hobby, but for God's sake, build it with the capabilities needed.

We lost capability retiring the F-14s, lost capability retiring the A-6s, lost capability retiring the S-3s.

Carriers are now dependent on land based tankers to conduct their missions.
Carriers are dependent on land based ASW platforms for long range ASW screening an OTH targeting.
And there is no Alpha Strike capability anymore.
It is not possible to engage and defeat the archer with CAP before they shoot their arrows.

But hey, at least the recovery rate is higher...
View Quote

Well I'm just a lowly civilian. I leave things like that to people who get paid to do it. I certainly have no authority to even advise or influence such things. Those who do will continue to do it however their budget and circumstances permit until the day comes that the US Navy runs into an an enemy that rips its head clean off its shoulders.

As things are now it seems odd to me that the Navy wears out its equipment so fast because they are on the front line of all these brushfire conflicts. You would think that these ludicrously expensive capabilities (in both dollars and human lives) that, at the moment. No other country on Earth can hope to replicate, (except the French on a small scale). Would demand some care and restraint? Nope! Straight into the teeth of the enemy from the word go until the politicians lose interest in the conflict du jour.

This will continue until either this country bumps up against something that can defeat it militarily. Or looking more and more likely at the moment. We all wind up in some mess that results in the military budget being chopped down to .0002 % of its current level.

And no, this won't be because the Demmycrats give all that money to the homeless and various social justice organizations.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The F14, F15 and F16 were all designed fairly close together in the 1970's so why was the Tomcat retired but the F15 and F16 retained and upgraded?
View Quote
15 and 16 are Air Force, 14 is Navy. (Yes nerds I know there’s a naval variant of the F16, but the bird is still an Air Force bird)

It’s not the same money, not the same programs, not the same budgets, and not even the same people making the decisions
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#23]
$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well I'm just a lowly civilian. I leave things like that to people who get paid to do it. I certainly have no authority to even advise or influence such things. Those who do will continue to do it however their budget and circumstances permit until the day comes US Navy runs into an an enemy that rips its head clean off its shoulders.

Kind of a weird scenario considering that the Navy wears out its equipment so fast being on the front line of all these brushfire conflicts. You would think that these sort of ludicrously expensive capabilities that, at the moment. No other country on Earth can hope to replicate, (except the French on a small scale). Would demand some care and restraint? Nope! Straight into the teeth of the enemy from the word go until the politicians lose interest in the conflict du jour.

This will continue until either this country bumps up against something that can defeat it militarily. Or looking more and more likely at the moment. We all wind up in some mess that results in the military budget being chopped down to .0002 % of its current level.

And no, this won't be because the Demmycrats give all that money to the homeless and various social justice organizations.
View Quote

The Brits and Indians also have 2/3 Nimitz size ski jump carriers like the French and the PRC bought and refurbished the two Russian ski jump carriers and have been developing their own program.

But the point of the carrier is not to fight other carriers.  It is to operate independent of land based constraints.  There is no Backfire threat anymore, but plenty of adversaries carrying ASCMs with triple digit NM ranges.

My point about recovery rates was that the ship is not there to simply launch and recover aircraft.  Those birds have missions to perform.  
And the doctrine that was developed during the Cold War has had to be modified significantly because our capabilities have atrophied.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Brits and Indians also have 2/3 Nimitz size ski jump carriers like the French and the PRC bought and refurbished the two Russian ski jump carriers and have been developing their own program.

But the point of the carrier is not to fight other carriers.  It is to operate independent of land based constraints.  There is no Backfire threat anymore, but plenty of adversaries carrying ASCMs with triple digit NM ranges.

My point about recovery rates was that the ship is not there to simply launch and recover aircraft.  Those birds have missions to perform.  
And the doctrine that was developed during the Cold War has had to be modified significantly because our capabilities have atrophied.
View Quote

And will continue to atrophy for the foreseeable future.

The entire US military is a mess right now. The Trump administration did address an awful lot of things. But there's some very persistent areas of rot that nothing will be done about. If someone were to do something about this. They would get the axe.

Yet... The only constant is change, is it not?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And will continue to atrophy for the foreseeable future.

The entire US military is a mess right now. The Trump administration did address an awful lot of things. But there's some very persistent areas of rot that nothing will be done about. If someone were to do something about this. They would get the axe.

Yet... The only constant is change, is it not?
View Quote

In my lifetime, I will not be surprised to see the Chinese sink a US carrier with their ballistic missiles and the US Government simply shrug its shoulders and bitch a little.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In my lifetime, I will not be surprised to see the Chinese sink a US carrier with their ballistic missiles and the US Government simply shrug its shoulders and bitch a little.
View Quote

Ive read 2 novels written by former naval aviators, (one being an ex F14 pilot.) where the Chinese committed several acts of war including slagging a CVN's reactor and detonating a nuclear bomb on Midway in an attempt to assassinate the president and in both cases the Chinese communist government walked away from the table with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Not even a, "don't ever do that again!" Warning.

Personally I attribute that to the authors inability to think strategically. Perhaps they know something I don't... Either way it seems to be an incredibly dangerous mindset.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably in the next two years.

If our military doesn’t rebel...
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Comparing an F14D with bombs to an F15E is not a fair comparison at all. While the F14 "had" some air to ground capabilities even when it first came out (despite never being put to use until near the end of its life), the "Bombcat" was really just an attempt to get some more life/use out of the Tomcat before its eventual demise. The F15E was *designed* to drop bombs. The F15 series was a better warplane than the F14 in all things, except, maybe long range interception (and frankly the F15 may have been just as good).

Guys who flew a "Bombcat" then flew an F15E and saying they didn't know how much the "Bombcat" sucked compared to an F15E is like someone saying they thought their Corvette was a great sports car until they drove a Ferrari and realized how much it sucked.
View Quote

What you, him, and everyone is forgetting is the role and carrier capabilities of the F14 vs the F15. When the Navy reconfigured the F15 for carrier landings and Aim-54 capabilities, it added 15,000 lbs. to the F15's warload and there was no performance advantage. The F15 was a better warplane when it had no requirements to launch and recover aboard a forward-projecting aircraft carrier and when it wasn't required to carry the far-reaching Aim-54 offensive weapon system.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Augustine's Law XXX: By the time the people asking the questions are ready for the answers, the people doing the work have lost track of the questions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was being modernized into the D model. Beautiful and amazing plane, but it was maintenance intensive and Dick Cheney happened. I think if we took the lessons learned from building birds over the years we could design and build a successor plane to end all carrier based planes, swing wings and all. We don't want to do that though and the military and most of its defense contractors don't know how to manage a large project anymore without it turning into a mess.

Nobody seems to engineer anything to be practical to work on because the engineers don't need to work on said thing, whether it's a car, or anything else. The only exception seems to be enthusiast computer cases and components, which have gotten so well thought out and brain dead simple to work with over the years.

A maintainability or reliability group in St. Louis has never been worth a damn since the day I started.  Reliability reports numbers, mostly made up by vendors, sometimes with incomplete service data, and they don't talk to the people engineering the assembly and installations.  I have never seen maintainability weigh in to make an airplane supportable, the strength and design groups handle that, and design didn't really do anything substantial until 3D Model Based Definition with virtual maintainer "Jack".  Strength has to weigh in to keep the subsystems designers in line, or they'll draw crap no good for structural integrity, let alone maintainability.

I recall reading that the flexible cuff at the root of the F-14 wings was a maintenance mess.
Thanks for the insight. I just see this kind of stuff in my job and other industries where there's a huge disconnect from the people calling the shots and designing the product from the end users that have to make some sense of what they were given. It's endemic to every industry, or at least it feels like it.
Augustine's Law XXX: By the time the people asking the questions are ready for the answers, the people doing the work have lost track of the questions.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were never as good as the leg humpers think they were.

I think the F35 is sexy.

https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/3f54fedaee4343c7b640807fa1c4d1f6_18.jpeg?fit=1000%2C562
From some angles it looks amazing and others not so much. It's weird.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I made the second to last deployment with the mighty Tomcat. Jan-Aug '05, VF-143 Pukin' Dogs with our sister SQD VF-11 Red Rippers. That was my 3rd go round in Tomcat squadrons over 21ys of doing maintenance on Naval aircraft. Last cruise both Tomcat SQDs always, ALWAYS, beat the hornet guys off the deck for alert 5 and our mission completion and sortie rates were better than theirs too. All that while NAVAIR cut the on hand parts and support to the boat before we even left on cruise because it was going to be the last one on CVN-73 for Tomcats

In all I did tours on F-14s, F-18 legacy and Supers, EA-6B, H-60s, & H-46s. Only reason I got to work on F-18 A-F was I was at Pax River NAWCAD, now VX-23. In the whole of VX-23 at the time we had 4 Tomcats with about 20 people who knew what the fuck we were doing working on them and about 130 Hornet fags for like 10 hornets & 2 super hornets. Have to do something like put a Tomcat on jacks to do a drop check on the landing gear? Yea, it's real work and the hornet guys scatter like cockroaches!

Nobody in Tomcats ever said "I can't wait for them to retire so I can work on Hornets". And here is why. Hornet maintainers are retarded. Plane goes flying, has gripe, pops BLIN code on the computer, book says change part X. Shotgun part into jet aaaaaand, didn't fix it. Now you have to troubleshoot and actually diagnose the problem. Issue is, 95% of the Hornet maintenance fags don't have a fucking clue about their systems theory of operation, principles of operation, or use of deductive reasoning to rule out what is working and what isn't and replace the parts needed to fix them. And having gone to the schools for Super Hornets when VF-143 traded Tomcats for F-18Es, they are getting worse. Avionics and wiring is fiber optic. Break a fiber, yea, can't repair that at SQD level, call in the contractor. So no, nobody but FAGs wanted to jump from Tomcats to Hornets. Maint to Man hours was around 50/1 by the time they retired the Tomcat. It was never that great to begin with. A lot of that had to do with an aircraft that just wasn't maintenance friendly. We always joked that they designed the structure and aerodynamics, then figured out how to shoehorn everything in there. Lots of times you have to remove a few different things just to get at the component you need to change that was bad. Book said 1hr, reality said otherwise and that was if you weren't tail over water or if they would spot you on the deck in a wing spread spot. The cost that will never get recouped on the Hornet is the institutional knowledge of how not to shotgun parts into a jet and hope it fixes the gripe. Legacy hornets are gone off flight decks except the odd USMC SDQ that goes out and currently many of the repairable parts on Supers are still warranty items, but Boeing/Northrop Grumman will argue every part with the Navy as to weather it is BCM (Beyond Capable Maint) because it works on a test bench. But it must not be in working order because the computer said change that part but it didn't fix the grip. Maint to Man hours is going to go up over the next couple of years and so are costs on the super hornets.

I can't say much on the pilot side except all of them loved to fly the B/D models because that is what it should have been from the get go. With LANTERN pods, GPS, and a few other upgrades it was a hell of a bomb truck in the end.

Finally, troubleshooting and rigging the flight controls on the swing wing wasn't that hard. It was almost entirely hydromechanical. Even when the DFCS came along, the winsweep system and associated flight controls didn't get anything new outboard of centiline in the turtlebacks.
View Quote

I work with Super Hornet maintainers who have either come from a Hornet background (legacy or super) or who were F-14 mechanics who transitioned to the Hornet platform.
I say that the greater majority of Hornet maintainers have the ability to troubleshoot and fix most gripes on par with F-14 or any other type platform mechanics.
The way you badmouth your fellow shipmates is downright disgusting.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Interested to hear how the F-104 fared against more modern aircraft.  I seem to recall hearing someplace (maybe the Fighter Pilot Podcast?  You by chance know Jell-O?) that the F-104 had some tactics where it was hard to see until the last minute and make a quick engagement and then scoot on out of the area in a hurry.  Obviously you wouldn’t wanna get into a turning fight with it but it was interesting how pilots in the later years of its life found ways to make life tough for folks in the newer jets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many times. Plus everything from F-104s and F-106s to F-18s to the Migs in the Constant Peg program.  

F-16s were incredible performers, but they were an incomplete system for many years until AMRAAM.

F-15s pretty much ruled the skies for half a century.

Interested to hear how the F-104 fared against more modern aircraft.  I seem to recall hearing someplace (maybe the Fighter Pilot Podcast?  You by chance know Jell-O?) that the F-104 had some tactics where it was hard to see until the last minute and make a quick engagement and then scoot on out of the area in a hurry.  Obviously you wouldn’t wanna get into a turning fight with it but it was interesting how pilots in the later years of its life found ways to make life tough for folks in the newer jets.
First let me point out that fighter tactics didn't change much from WWI until well into the jet age. The size of the arena expanded from yards to miles, but the basics stayed the same.

NOT turning was always the most survivable strategy, from the Red Baron to Robin Olds. Pick someone off the periphery of an engagement, and keep going. "One pass, haul ass."

The F-104 was not only well-suited for that - very fast and almost invisible head on - but it HAD to be flown that way. No matter how sharp an F-104 pilot's fangs got, he wasn't going to out turn anyone, and he knew it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#36]
The Tomcat was an undeniably good looking jet. But it was a giant POS and its capabilities were vastly overrated. I don’t understand the GD infatuation which it anymore than I understand the GD obsession with Toyota.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having more gas is nice but it doesn’t really matter as any fighter needs big wing tanking.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#38]
@sq40
Do you have a link to a hi-rez version of that fighter poster?
I need that as a cheat sheet to follow along in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't care how easy it is to fly, it's capabilities are a SIGNIFICANT step back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seem to recall reading an interview where a former f-14 pilot raved about the f-18 just being a better all around platform with much more modern avionics and generally being easier to fly.

All I know I know from DCS and watching YouTube videos of pilots who flew them.  The F18 has more nose authority than the F14.  The F14D has the same avionics suite as the early F18 which was lightyears ahead the F14A and B models.  

DCS players have tricks with the F14 where they use the slats to slow turn and rate fight.  In real life this would wreck the slats but in a videogame no one cares if they screw up the airplane to win a dogfight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Just too fucking sexy is what I'd like to believe but sure was maintenance costs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@sq40
Do you have a link to a hi-rez version of that fighter poster?
I need that as a cheat sheet to follow along in this thread.
View Quote

@hollowhandle

That was the highest resolution JPG I could find.

You can buy the full sized print at Amazon through,  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0V54T2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_36AY093RRQWRQ1GGQGCE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#43]
That's classified.  I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#44]
It was too sexy for the Navy.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I work with Super Hornet maintainers who have either come from a Hornet background (legacy or super) or who were F-14 mechanics who transitioned to the Hornet platform.
I say that the greater majority of Hornet maintainers have the ability to troubleshoot and fix most gripes on par with F-14 or any other type platform mechanics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made the second to last deployment with the mighty Tomcat. Jan-Aug '05, VF-143 Pukin' Dogs with our sister SQD VF-11 Red Rippers. That was my 3rd go round in Tomcat squadrons over 21ys of doing maintenance on Naval aircraft. Last cruise both Tomcat SQDs always, ALWAYS, beat the hornet guys off the deck for alert 5 and our mission completion and sortie rates were better than theirs too. All that while NAVAIR cut the on hand parts and support to the boat before we even left on cruise because it was going to be the last one on CVN-73 for Tomcats

In all I did tours on F-14s, F-18 legacy and Supers, EA-6B, H-60s, & H-46s. Only reason I got to work on F-18 A-F was I was at Pax River NAWCAD, now VX-23. In the whole of VX-23 at the time we had 4 Tomcats with about 20 people who knew what the fuck we were doing working on them and about 130 Hornet fags for like 10 hornets & 2 super hornets. Have to do something like put a Tomcat on jacks to do a drop check on the landing gear? Yea, it's real work and the hornet guys scatter like cockroaches!

Nobody in Tomcats ever said "I can't wait for them to retire so I can work on Hornets". And here is why. Hornet maintainers are retarded. Plane goes flying, has gripe, pops BLIN code on the computer, book says change part X. Shotgun part into jet aaaaaand, didn't fix it. Now you have to troubleshoot and actually diagnose the problem. Issue is, 95% of the Hornet maintenance fags don't have a fucking clue about their systems theory of operation, principles of operation, or use of deductive reasoning to rule out what is working and what isn't and replace the parts needed to fix them. And having gone to the schools for Super Hornets when VF-143 traded Tomcats for F-18Es, they are getting worse. Avionics and wiring is fiber optic. Break a fiber, yea, can't repair that at SQD level, call in the contractor. So no, nobody but FAGs wanted to jump from Tomcats to Hornets. Maint to Man hours was around 50/1 by the time they retired the Tomcat. It was never that great to begin with. A lot of that had to do with an aircraft that just wasn't maintenance friendly. We always joked that they designed the structure and aerodynamics, then figured out how to shoehorn everything in there. Lots of times you have to remove a few different things just to get at the component you need to change that was bad. Book said 1hr, reality said otherwise and that was if you weren't tail over water or if they would spot you on the deck in a wing spread spot. The cost that will never get recouped on the Hornet is the institutional knowledge of how not to shotgun parts into a jet and hope it fixes the gripe. Legacy hornets are gone off flight decks except the odd USMC SDQ that goes out and currently many of the repairable parts on Supers are still warranty items, but Boeing/Northrop Grumman will argue every part with the Navy as to weather it is BCM (Beyond Capable Maint) because it works on a test bench. But it must not be in working order because the computer said change that part but it didn't fix the grip. Maint to Man hours is going to go up over the next couple of years and so are costs on the super hornets.

I can't say much on the pilot side except all of them loved to fly the B/D models because that is what it should have been from the get go. With LANTERN pods, GPS, and a few other upgrades it was a hell of a bomb truck in the end.

Finally, troubleshooting and rigging the flight controls on the swing wing wasn't that hard. It was almost entirely hydromechanical. Even when the DFCS came along, the winsweep system and associated flight controls didn't get anything new outboard of centiline in the turtlebacks.

Wow how did I miss that post? Sounds like more of a failure of training, management, and leadership then any fault of the planes to me though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Many times. Plus everything from F-104s and F-106s to F-18s to the Migs in the Constant Peg program.  

F-16s were incredible performers, but they were an incomplete system for many years until AMRAAM.

F-15s pretty much ruled the skies for half a century.

View Quote
Bad ass, thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Perhaps they know something I don't... Either way it seems to be an incredibly dangerous mindset.
View Quote

It’d depend on the administration in power at the time AND the dynamics of congress. If Reagan was in, he’d of retaliated in kind and Chinamart would of regretted it, the Soviets would of collectively held their breath then once they realized nothing was coming their way they’d of bitched to the UN and the Democrats in Congress would of impeached Reagan.

Bill Clinton? Nothing...

Bush Jr... post 9/11 with Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz, he’d of nuked the shit out of them.

Obama? UN route...

Trump? He’d of started WWIII...

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bad mouthing between Tomcat and Hornet communities was far worse in the fleet. But you are right, bad mouthing them isn't the way to resolve the problem. We should have set aside safe spaces somewhere on the 03 close to the flight deck so they could take time outs and gather their thoughts while the rest of us were up there getting it done. If you think I am bad mouthing Hornet guys, you should ask me my thoughts about the Prowler and Seahawk communities.

I am sure the transition from Phantoms to Tomcats had its share of about how maintenance got done. However; maintenance practices on Hornets by Hornet bubbas are what I saw when I was there, and they were atrocious. I am sure they learned lessons and figured thing out. But yea, fixing aircraft is no joke and must be done right, all the time, every time. The Tomcat community was one of the last bastions of meritocracy. Sure there were few good old boys that got groomed, but as long as you could perform and fix airplanes, you were going to go places. Hornet guys played games with maintenance and I couldn't deal with that. Good thing I am retired and have no influence on any of that.

Also, there's FAGs (Fighter Attack Guys) and there are Tomcat guys. Tomcats never were cool enough to earn an acronym beside being called a The Turkey.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It’d depend on the administration in power at the time AND the dynamics of congress. If Reagan was in, he’d of retaliated in kind and Chinamart would of regretted it, the Soviets would of collectively held their breath then once they realized nothing was coming their way they’d of bitched to the UN and the Democrats in Congress would of impeached Reagan.

Bill Clinton? Nothing...

Bush Jr... post 9/11 with Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz, he’d of nuked the shit out of them.

Obama? UN route...

Trump? He’d of started WWIII...

View Quote

The 2 novels I'm talking about are Lions of the Sky by Paco Chierici and the Specter Series by C W Lemoine.

Lions is... By a margin, the trippiest book I have ever read. And I am a voracious reader of psychedelic and magical fiction. The perspective of the story is constantly shifting from paragraph to paragraph and sometimes sentence to sentence. You start off telling the story from this guys perspective, now it's that guys perspective, now it's this girls perspective, oop! Now you're in a flashback to the childhood of some other girl entirely.

The whole thing came across to me as an attempt on the authors part to speak to the ghost of Kara Hultgren who was an acquaintance of his. Lions of the Sky ends in an insane battle with the Chinese that has way more technical errors than I expect from a retired F14 pilot and after that battle an American admiral and the Chinese General responsible for all the chaos meet on an island and have a parley. Just like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean. By this point several people are dead, a bunch of fighter aircraft have been shot down and a CVN's reactor has been slagged by sabotage. I think that would be something well beyond the pay grade of those 2 officers...? I know NAVSEA08 would be pretty upset that one of their toys has been broken.

Specter ends in an even more insane way. It would take a long time to describe all the details but the Vice President is implicated as being a traitor to the Chinese government and... Let's just say the evidence against him is credible. But the president, clearly modeled on Hilary Clinton evidently has no problem with her VP conspiring with a foreign government to murder her and lets him stay in office. Doesn't even demand his resignation.

Lemoine has a YouTube channel where I have seen him make jokes about what happens when someone has dirt on the Clintons. He really profiles like an Arfcommer. But his characterization of a president in his novels is utterly baffling to me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This entire line of discussion is aimed at the F-14 fanboys who, in every F-14 related thread on ARFcom, bang the drum about how amazing the F-14 was as a ground attack aircraft.

It is a reminder that it wasn't.  By any yardstick.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top