BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would you name your son Boston? Good lord.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because that's my sons nickname (Boston = Boss).

Why would you name your son Boston? Good lord.
It's all good if it's this guy.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
yep, its ghetto culture and i outright ask people to refrain from it in our workplace.  I also find it insulting to put "Mr." in front of my first name. I'm not a plantation slave owner.  Black people use this exclusively and i find it reinforces their self subjegation, which is disgusting.  I respond more kindly to this with "please, call me [first name]."
View Quote

Perhaps in your area.  But here, “Mr (firstName)”  is an extremely common addressing structure in the Filipino culture.   No disrespect is intended.  (A lot of Filipinos in AZ/CA/NV)

People need to be thicker skinned.   To get bent out of shape because “this term means this because if you re-arrange the letters, it spells blah blah” is really reaching for an imagined slight.  It really sounds like Lefty-Speak “it’s code for a racist remark!” or “that word is really a dog whistle!” or worst of all “it’s a micro aggression!” and other such victimhood let’s-redefine-the-language crap.

Either way — people need to Man Up.   If you think someone MIGHT be insulting you, either ignore it totally (rise above it, you could be wrong, or just “consider the source” as Dad would say), or confront it straight up and ask them to explain — “hidden insults” totally lose their bite if the person is forced to make up a cover story for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Boss = Sir in many places.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer Lord Emperor
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hahahahahah. I’ll accept it from you, happily! I hope you’re doing well!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, yes Mr. Screechjet, I do.

Hahahahahah. I’ll accept it from you, happily! I hope you’re doing well!

I’m doing awesome. Rictus makes me ridiculously happy. Hope you’re doing good too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome to normal slang circa 2005.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard that for years. There's all kinds of guys:
Boss Guys-    "Hey boss" What's up Boss" "Hey boss, got a light?"
Chief guys:    "Hey chief", "Thanks chief", "Hold the door chief"
Bro guys:      "Hey bro", "Thanks bro", "That's my beer bro"
Pal guys:       "Hey pal". 'Thanks pal",
Dude guys:    "What's up dude?", "Thanks dude", "Dude, WTF?"
Man guys:     "Hey man", "What's up man?", "Man, GTFO here with that bullshit"
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Back in the 1960's, Boss was slang for something Good.

Hey, wanna see my latest AR Build?  I've got this Boss CMMG Lower, a Boss chrome 1-7 HBAR, a Boss Bravo buttstock, a Boss Gisselle trigger, a Boss TiOn Suppressor, a Boss Gem-Tech bolt-carrier, topped off with a Boss Vortex scope.

Got it Boss
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard that for years. There's all kinds of guys:
Boss Guys-    "Hey boss" What's up Boss" "Hey boss, got a light?"
Chief guys:    "Hey chief", "Thanks chief", "Hold the door chief"
Bro guys:      "Hey bro", "Thanks bro", "That's my beer bro"
Pal guys:       "Hey pal". 'Thanks pal", "Welcome to the party pal!"
Dude guys:    "What's up dude?", "Thanks dude", "Dude, WTF?"
Man guys:     "Hey man", "What's up man?", "Man, GTFO here with that bullshit"
View Quote

FIFY
Can't believe you missed that one, especially at Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who works above me or at equal station gets a Sir or Ma'am.

Everyone at lesser station or who works for me get called bud, sport, or killer.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Perhaps in your area.  But here, “Mr (firstName)”  is an extremely common addressing structure in the Filipino culture.   No disrespect is intended.  (A lot of Filipinos in AZ/CA/NV)

People need to be thicker skinned.   To get bent out of shape because “this term means this because if you re-arrange the letters, it spells blah blah” is really reaching for an imagined slight.  It really sounds like Lefty-Speak “it’s code for a racist remark!” or “that word is really a dog whistle!” or worst of all “it’s a micro aggression!” and other such victimhood let’s-redefine-the-language crap.

Either way — people need to Man Up.   If you think someone MIGHT be insulting you, either ignore it totally (rise above it, you could be wrong, or just “consider the source” as Dad would say), or confront it straight up and ask them to explain — “hidden insults” totally lose their bite if the person is forced to make up a cover story for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep, its ghetto culture and i outright ask people to refrain from it in our workplace.  I also find it insulting to put "Mr." in front of my first name. I'm not a plantation slave owner.  Black people use this exclusively and i find it reinforces their self subjegation, which is disgusting.  I respond more kindly to this with "please, call me [first name]."

Yeah...

My kids address every adult that isn't a teacher as Mr/Mrs. first name.  So do all the neighbor kids.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is weird.
I had a fat waitress call me boss at breakfast a couple days ago.
I was thinking WTF?
View Quote

I like down south.  They called me honey.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I go to the shop the guys say "Yes, master" and I call them "boy".
Tongue in cheek of course, only about 60% of them are black (want to hear people get down on BLM and such is talk to some black guys that the average number of years of retention is 20+). Yes, we have no HR at any place I've ever worked. The left would have a coranary when I buy watermellons in the summer and put them on ice for the guys to eat at the end of the day to cool off.
View Quote

Who doesn’t like watermelon on ice in the summer?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top