User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who told you that?
View Quote

This very website. Go back and look at the caliber dates over the years.

"All that matters is penetration" is a pretty common answer, and how bullet diameter, energy, velocity, etc doesn't matter in handguns. Basically they all boiled down to if the bullet penetrates to the required 12"+ then that is all that matters, well .22 Magnum does that now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Speer Gold Dot 22 Mag load.  It may surprise you.

I have also had plenty of duds in .22lr, but never a misfire in .22 Mag.

I have a S&W 351C that I have carried a lot more than I probably should.  It has a few attributes I appreciate.  For one, my revolver shoots to point of aim with the Speer load.  For another, it is as light as it gets- maybe 12oz loaded?  

It is better than a sharp stick.  If there weren't premium .22 mag loads designed for short barrels available, I would have passed on the .22mag in a pistol.  

As rifles go I have been surprised at how much "more" a .22mag is over a .22lr for performance on game and varmints.  It really is a whole different kettle of fish.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not only does rimfire have ignition reliably problems, but it also has a (go figure) prominent rim that makes designing a “fighting-reliable” magazine a massive PITA.
View Quote

So if they made a .22 Magnum that always worked and was like centerfire, it would be the ideal handgun caliber?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had some calibre to eject by weak Winchester ammo but my carry CCI 35gr ammo runs 100% in my PMR30. I carry it sometimes and am not worried about failures.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
22 Magnum is a shit choice for self defense compared to 9mm.  First, there is reliability.  Reliable feeding from a magazine has always plagued small rim fire cartridges.  Then there is the priming of rim fire cartridges.  This can be mitigated with high quality cartridges, but you can still expect occasional duds. Not often, but at a level I wouldn’t trust for self defense.

Next is ballistics.  The assumption is that a 30g projectile going 2,200 fps produces 330 ft lbs of energy so It’s almost as good as 9mm!  Those ballistics are from a 20” RIFLE barrel.  Out of a 6” PISTOL barrel, that energy drops in half because it can only achieve a velocity of 1,600 fps. That number gets even worse out of a 4.5” barrel. 22 also creates a much smaller wound cavity at those lower speeds.  

A lot of ballistics testing shows that after penetrating clothing, hollow points don’t even expand.  It doesn’t mean they can’t kill, but it does mean they are far less effective than a 9mm handgun load (especially a self defense load). Less powerful than .380, but slightly better than a .32 out of a pistol.

So there you have it.  That is why 22 magnum has never been anything but a novelty chambering in semi-autos, or is mostly seen in revolvers as a higher power alternative to 22LR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rimfire reliability sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some folks believe so and buy a PMR-30.
View Quote

My brother-in-law, for one. His argument is that it will be a nightstand gun, and that my sis handles it very well. He's hanging his hat on lots of minuscule-diameter hits vs. a lot of 9MM misses. I told him they should both train harder. Or even train at all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've always been told all that matters in handguns is capacity, recoil, and the ability to penetrate 12-18".

Velocity, energy, bullet diameter, none of that matters.

View Quote

Stop talking to 'tards and this would not be a problem.

With that said, I'm currently carrying a 9mm and the gun in my bug out bag is a PMR30.  However, that does not change the fact that a bigger bullet will inflict more damage, all else being equal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My brother-in-law, for one. His argument is that it will be a nightstand gun, and that my sis handles it very well. He's hanging his hat on lots of minuscule-diameter hits vs. a lot of 9MM misses. I told him they should both train harder. Or even train at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some folks believe so and buy a PMR-30.

I wouldn't trust my life to a Kel-tec anything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if they made a .22 Magnum that always worked and was like centerfire, it would be the ideal handgun caliber?
View Quote

If the performance could be maintained in short battles, maybe.

The .25-25 (forgive the US/metric hybrid) concept rattling around in my brain might be a better idea.  Straight walled, centerfire, rimless .25 case, 25mm long.  

7mm Penna was an interesting idea too, but it appears to have vanished.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
How reliable is your rimfire semi auto pistol?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You are forgetting a vital piece of information that leads to the conclusion that the major handgun calibers are all "good enough". And that is the use of modern bullet designs, which you aren't going to find in .22WMR.

Something like a Ranger-T or HST in 9/40/45 is all good - the differences are negligible. Different conclusions tend to be drawn if you are comparing only ball/FMJ, or even some of the very outdated JHP designs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, IDGAF what anyone says.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not really likely you will ever need 30 rounds anyway.  

View Quote

Have you watched the news lately?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
One benefit I can see is it’s easier to be more accurate with a 22WMR rifle than a typical 9mm handgun. I have a CZ512 with a 10 inch barrel that can do dime sized groups at 25 yds.  I can’t do that with my Glock. I think my kids or wife would be way more effective using the CZ512 Even with its 10 round magazine than trying to use a 9mm handgun. If it’s all I had in clearing a house I would be ok with it. It has no recoil and very little blast. It would be much better than using my 38 snub nose revolver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Federal bulk pack in the 2008-2016 range were some of the worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot about 2k of rimfire a year and have about a dozen duds out of that.  (Federal, Winchester and CCI/Blazer).

Federal bulk pack in the 2008-2016 range were some of the worst.

Worse than Remington Golden Garbage? I have way too much of that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are forgetting a vital piece of information that leads to the conclusion that the major handgun calibers are all "good enough". And that is the use of modern bullet designs, which you aren't going to find in .22WMR.

Something like a Ranger-T or HST in 9/40/45 is all good - the differences are negligible. Different conclusions tend to be drawn if you are comparing only ball/FMJ, or even some of the very outdated JHP designs.
View Quote

I mean Hornady makes a .22 Critical Defense, which is the same bullet design as the round the FBI just adopted in 9mm.

So .22 has the same modern bullet design. Speer also makes a Gold Dot .22

So if bullet penetration depth is all that really matters, seems like a properly penetrating .22 would be the same as a properly penetrating 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
my PMR30 was a total POS.  Sent back to factory, it was returned to me still a POS.  Not heavy enough to bludgeon someone with, so I sold it cheaply
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
While any .22 rimfire can kill an attacker, it probably won't stop one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who told you that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always been told all that matters in handguns is capacity, recoil, and the ability to penetrate 12-18".

Who told you that?

The voices.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The voices.
View Quote

Nah, just peruse the countless discussions from the past on this very sight. Everything I've seen said on this site is that only penetration depth matters, nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I like .22 mag, it flips jack rabbits end over end. Fun little cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought my wife a PMR30   With CCI ammo it fails to eject reliably.  Ejector rips the case apart but the casing is still stuck in chamber.  I need to send it back to KelTec.
View Quote

Is the chamber fluted on those?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Because you lose most of the .22 WMR velocity advantage over normal .22 LR in barrels less than 5" to 6" in length?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nah, just peruse the countless discussions from the past on this very sight. Everything I've seen said on this site is that only penetration depth matters, nothing else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The voices.

Repeating it doesn't make it sound smarter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So why isn't a 30 round .22 handgun a better choice for self defense? There are now .22 Magnum loads that can punch 14-15" into gel.
View Quote

The crush cavity matters, and bigger bullet = greater crush cavity. There is a reason we use JHPs.

The "bullet diameter doesn't matter" claim is false. Certainly, Dr Martin Fakler wasn't saying that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a corruption of the original arguments made by Fackler et al. The people making it lack the technical knowledge of men like Fackler.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
The original argument was for a bullet with a 12" min penetration (10" was considered at one point, and a better recommendation perhaps was for an AVERAGE of 15"). But for bullets meeting the penetration requirement you want one with a larger crush cavity. But the penetration requirement was never a hard standard, a bullet that penetrates 11" and expands to 1" diameter would be better than one that makes 12" but only expands to 0.50", at least most of the time.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   Wtf OP, have you never heard this?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:47:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep hearing about the non-reliability of rimfire cartridges but honestly I find it interesting as I’ve never had a rimfire not go off. Granted I shoot a shit ton more centerfire and I’ve probably only shot 2000-3000 rounds of rimfire in my life either for squirrel hunting or just fucking around at the range but I’ve never had one not discharge (even with supposedly shitty Remington ammo) yet I keep seeing how people claim them to be unreliable. Anyway that’s just my observation  and I just find it curious.
View Quote

Yeah......shoot more, you’ll see.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Apparently it is quite difficult to get a long object into a small tight hole. Very few success stories with semiautomatic 22mag weapons. Now getting a small fat object into a big fat hole is damn easy. Other than a consistent ignition. we can do whatever we want with the type of projo. We haven't played with the 22mag like we did with 22lr, maybe we could jam it 3000fps? But there's still that tight hole.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]
1. Those guns are keltecs and they have a poor history of reliability.
2. It’s a primer cartridge and may fail to go bang.
3. Get a 5.7
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would wager of the 9 malfunctioning PMR's you've seen, a vast majority of the failures are due to firing rounds below the 40 grain weight listed in the owners manual and improper magazine loading.

Geez, I sound like a keltec fan boi.
View Quote

I have a CMR and it won’t go bang all the way through a mag. I have a mag loader. I use approved loads. The magazines just aren’t there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#36]
5.7x28mm
ETA: SS196
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust my life to a Kel-tec anything.
View Quote

The 32 acp they put out is a solid pistol. Shockingly, it has a lower failure rate than their 380.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So why isn't a 30 round .22 handgun a better choice for self defense? There are now .22 Magnum loads that can punch 14-15" into gel.
View Quote

.22TCM legitimately is better than 9mm from the gel tests I've seen. It has a flatter trajectory, does better in gel, has less recoil, same/more ammo in the mag.

Only issue is aftermarket support.

Logistics are God.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#39]
A centre-fire .22 Mag loaded with pistol powder would be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody said that...  What was said that there isn't much difference in performance between 9mm, .40, and .45ACP with modern hollow points.  Besides rim-fire suck for reliability.  I can't count how many dud rimfire I've tried to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nobody said that...  What was said that there isn't much difference in performance between 9mm, .40, and .45ACP with modern hollow points.  Besides rim-fire suck for reliability.  I can't count how many dud rimfire I've tried to shoot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40787/JHP_Performance_JPG-1481747.jpg
View Quote

Yes, lots of people have said just that. I spent the day browsing past history of the argument on here.

Your picture was also thrown around a lot, but it was often followed by how only penetration matters.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
rimlock
View Quote

Those.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Remington 22 from around the obumer was elected, I had about 2 in 10 failure rate. Pulled some bullets and found no priming compound, or only one side primed.
Between the 12600 rounds and 22 and junk of 556 and 9mm I stopped giving Remington money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would wager of the 9 malfunctioning PMR's you've seen, a vast majority of the failures are due to firing rounds below the 40 grain weight listed in the owners manual and improper magazine loading.

Geez, I sound like a keltec fan boi.
View Quote

As evidenced by the posts after yours in this thread, you got the one my friend!

They’re part of the 9 haha. It sucks to be in the 9.

To their credit KT has been okay about trying to fix it for the people I’ve seen send them in. Not particularly quickly, and I choose the phrase “trying to fix it” for a reason.

Which is too bad really because some of the classes I was volunteering at had the very specific person that would probably have no real ability to consistently use much else. The weight and light recoil spring makes it a good option for aged or injured hands that struggled to even fire a double action, let alone with any accuracy or follow through.

I was able to get one with a Vortex Viper on the slide for like $200 through an industry thing and even then it was such a pain in the ass I gave it to a friend who now has a bunch of time invested in modifying it to work with not much better results.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The voices.

Maybe you could quote someone saying this exact phrase?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I keep hearing about the non-reliability of rimfire cartridges but honestly I find it interesting as I've never had a rimfire not go off. Granted I shoot a shit ton more centerfire and I've probably only shot 2000-3000 rounds of rimfire in my life either for squirrel hunting or just fucking around at the range but I've never had one not discharge (even with supposedly shitty Remington ammo) yet I keep seeing how people claim them to be unreliable. Anyway that's just my observation  and I just find it curious.
View Quote

Do you know how I know you don't shoot enough rimfire?  Shoot some Remington Golden .22 and get back with me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it would still suck compared to something that can fire a higher mass projectile with better expansion at similar velocity. Assuming by ideal you mean ideal for defensive purposes.

As mentioned, the 22TCM is pretty much what you describe. And it’s a great round for some applications, especially in a tungsten core or saboted round. But those aren’t your typical daily carry applications, and a lot of the 22TCM velocities that are mentioned are from a 16-20” barrel and not what you’d see out of a pistol. Even an 8-10” barrel was getting good velocity, but at 4-5” like you’d get in full size or compact gun it loses a lot. Forget getting any real velocity from something with a 3” barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've had some calibre to eject by weak Winchester ammo but my carry CCI 35gr ammo runs 100% in my PMR30. I carry it sometimes and am not worried about failures.
View Quote

Whoa I stand corrected, there’s two of you!

As long as that 100% has been for a high enough round count to determine reliability, that’s great.

It’s still not the best choice over a 9mm but as long as you know the limitations and all, I won’t try to change your mind.

I’ve said it before but really, pistols are pretty bad at getting quick effective results in defense against humans. Some are less bad than others, but none are great. They’re just what we’re likely to have on us, so being able to apply them in the way that increases our chances of getting the desired outcome is what matters the most.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top