The black helmsman?

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
TNG - Luwaxana Troi
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You think Alexander was worse than Wunderkind Wesley?
View Quote

This.  That little Weasel Wesley Crusher was an insufferable cunt on the show and he turned into a more insufferabler Liberal cunt in real life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I skip the Alexander episodes when I am watching it. They are just crap.

Lwaxana Troi is even worse yet though.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Guinan was intermittently annoying.  In some episodes, she was fine or even occasionally good.  In more than a few, she was an irritant.

One thing about her that was not great was that she stole some of Troi’s thunder, and Troi didn’t always have that much to spare, as the writers didn’t always seem to come up with enough for her to do.  The series as a whole might have been better if Troi and Guinan had both been conceived of initially and melded into one character.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
TOS- Nurse Chapel.

I mean, she was a placeholder. Meh.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Everybody knows it's Wesley
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TOS- Nurse Chapel.

I mean, she was a placeholder. Meh.
View Quote

Well she was Gene Roddenberry’s wife, so….
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Space hippies and Tribbles.
View Quote

Not a recurring character, but yeah, the space hippies were a whole other level of suck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
TNG - Entire cast, production crew, writers and directors
DS9 - Entire cast, production crew, writers and directors
Voyager - Entire cast, production crew, writers and directors
Enterprise - Entire cast, production crew, writers and directors
Orville -Entire cast, production crew, writers and directors
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Deeana Troi's mom was bad but Alexander put the whore in horrible.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Captain Kirk
Captain Picard
Spock

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
TNG- Dr. Katherine Pulaski, nails on the chalkboard in every scene.  Although she was a super hot in TOS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
TOS -none of the regular crew
TNG- Alexander, AKA Eddie Munster.  Luwaxana redeemed herself in the Maj. Winchester episode.
Voyager - Janeway, AKA the helium breather.
DS9 - any of the Bajoran cult leaders, especially nurse Ratchett.
Enterprise - Archer, Bacula was only good in Quantum Leap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
TOS: Nobody stands out as the worst character to me. Maybe Chekov. But I don't hate him.

TNG: Wesley for sure, followed by Troi. Neither character should ever have existed. Wesley contributes nothing believable, and Troi contributes nothing at all. I'd gladly trade them both out to keep Tasha in the show.

DS9: Nothing obvious for me. That cast was basically flawless IMO.

VOY: Neelix. Neelix. Neelix. Even worse is how many times they killed him but saved him, or revealed it wasn't actually him. Good God please just kill him, kill him for real, and leave him dead, and quit playing with me! Followed by Kes, who was just a completely worthless character, but thankfully they did write her out.

I don't really remember Enterprise and I've never seen the newer shows.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Guinan was intermittently annoying.  In some episodes, she was fine or even occasionally good.  In more than a few, she was an irritant.

One thing about her that was not great was that she stole some of Troi’s thunder, and Troi didn’t always have that much to spare, as the writers didn’t always seem to come up with enough for her to do.  The series as a whole might have been better if Troi and Guinan had both been conceived of initially and melded into one character.
View Quote

Read an interview with Roddenberry where he said his initial plan for Troi was just to have her wander around half naked, offering emotional support. But in negotiations with the studio to get TNG off the ground, he had to find more for her to do.

I'm really glad he didn't do that with Guinan.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
This guy!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Read an interview with Roddenberry where he said his initial plan for Troi was just to have her wander around half naked, offering emotional support. But in negotiations with the studio to get TNG off the ground, he had to find more for her to do.

I'm really glad he didn't do that with Guinan.
View Quote

Roddenberry was a notorious perv.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The black helmsman?

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Alexander AND Wesley.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TNG: Wesley
DS9: Jake Sisko
VOY: Neelix
ENT: Trip
DISC: Adira (the LGBTQWTFBBQ with imaginary friend)
SNW: Ortegas

I don't particularly hate anyone in TOS that I can think of.  Haven't watched the new animated ones
View Quote

Trip was the BEST character on Enterprise.  

For worst it's a toss up of EVERYONE ELSE.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I always felt Sulu character had a lousy actor (George Takei), so his character was the weakest, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
TNG: Dr. Polaski

The only reason I list her over Alexander is she was in so many episodes.  And yes, I know the actress was in TOS.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jake Sisco was in "The Visitor" the best episode of all treks so that kind of lets him off the hook.
View Quote

It was only good because of Tony Todd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
TNG:
Wesley
Guinan
Luwaxana troi
O'Brien And Keiko
Alexander
Doc pulaski
Barclay the scared squirrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Janeway was a war criminal
but she was right for killing Tuvix
View Quote

Tuvik was ugly for sure, but I think That epsiode proved that Janeway was a psychopath that had a god complex over her crew.
When the transporter fused the two characters, the new character Tuvix was created and had an individual persona and had self awareness and did not want to die.  
The fact that the rest of the crew went along with it and the Doctor was the only one that said, screw this noise, I wont do it. say a lot about humanity.  
They showed that they were ok with killing innocents to get back what they lost.  If Picard was there, he would have given them all a stern lecture on seeking out new life.  
I think any of the other main captains of the series would have let Tuvix live.  
It was an amazing plot to think about morality that was hamstrung by using two characters they weren't ready to get rid of.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
TNG- Dr. Katherine Pulaski, nails on the chalkboard in every scene.  Although she was a super hot in TOS.
View Quote

I think Pulaski was one of the better characters.  They started her off as a McCoy clone, but she developed and actually had something to do.  I think in her one season she was more used than Dr. Crusher across 6 season and 4 movies.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Lt. Barclay is the worst. From all the series combined.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Agree 100%
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked Guinan, although I didn’t at first because of what I perceived to be her slightly superior attitude.  As the show went on I realized she was offering something unique.  While most of the scientists and engineers around her were approaching problems (cultural problems, not technical problems) logically or sequentially, she had a bigger, more abstract picture.  She could identify a solution; that is, here’s where we are and here’s where we need to be (situationally), without necessarily knowing how to accomplish it.  That’s where the logical people would take over.  I guess she had what I would call wisdom, she could see through the confusion and provide clarifying insight.

The writers had the good sense or good taste (or luck) to not over use her for this.  Unlike, for example, Data, who it seemed to me saved the day with some pseudo tech every other episode.

But, of course, it’s all juvenile compared to Firefly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

His character has the most acting range. He's pretty impressive I think. One moment he's a timid, bumbling guy, and the next he's passionately sword fighting. He plays a role on Voyager too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I liked Guinan, although I didn't at first because of what I perceived to be her slightly superior attitude.  As the show went on I realized she was offering something unique.  While most of the scientists and engineers around her were approaching problems logically or sequentially, she had a bigger, more abstract picture.  She could identify a solution; that is, here's where we are and here's where we need to be (situationally), without knowing exactly how to accomplish it.  That's where the logical people would take over.  I guess she had what I would call wisdom, she could see through the confusion and provide clarifying insight.

The writers had the good sense or good taste (or luck) to not over use her for this. Unlike, for example, Data, who it seemed to me saved the day with some pseudo tech every other episode.

Reverse the polarity or use a tachyon beam!

But, of course, it's all juvenile compared to Firefly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Mayweather was by far the worst character on ENT.  Hoshi a close second.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]
IDK.

I realize it’s heresy to criticize any of TOS cast, but in hindsight Chekhov’s Russian shtick was over-the-top even in the early 70s.

TNG cast drove me nuts because almost all of them were Boy Scout do-gooders. Riker was the only one with some good old toxic masculinity.

Never could warm up to DS9. Voyager either. Loved Enterprise until they got into that extended storyline about the war. These shows were always better to me with single-episode story arcs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
TNG?  Alexander?

Fucking Wesley Crusher was the worst.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
JarJar Binks had no business in the franchise.
View Quote

This, wasn’t he on DS9?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Literally every Admiral not named Kirk
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You think Alexander was worse than Wunderkind Wesley?

DS9?   Yeah, I guess I could agree with Jake Sisko.     Eh... Julian Bashir was insufferable the first couple of seasons.

Voyager... duh.  Neelix.

Enterprise.  Doctor Phlox, hands down.
View Quote

Alexander and Wesley were annoying but some of their episodes were good. Zero episodes with Keiko were good. I nominate her.

Enterprise - T'Pol

Maybe that's not the actress or the writer's fault. When you have a female character and remove her emotions, it's just....I don't know. Very very weird to me. Male Vulcans are bad enough.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
TNG: That little twat wesley and Q

DS9: the retard bartender played by goldberg.

Voyager: i dont remember, but 7 of 9 was hot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
IDK.

I realize it’s heresy to criticize any of TOS cast, but in hindsight Chekhov’s Russian shtick was over-the-top even in the early 70s.

TNG cast drove me nuts because almost all of them were Boy Scout do-gooders. Riker was the only one with some good old toxic masculinity.

Never could warm up to DS9. Voyager either. Loved Enterprise until they got into that extended storyline about the war. These shows were always better to me with single-episode story arcs.
View Quote

The writers of TOS will admit they brought the Chekhov character on because they needed a counter to Davy Jones of the Monkees to bring in the youths of the day. It was all about the "cute guy and the haircut."
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Voyager:  Kes.  I used to commute with a bunch of Star Trek fans and everyone was glad when she was written off the series.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The writers of TOS will admit they brought the Chekhov character on because they needed a counter to Davy Jones of the Monkees to bring in the youths of the day. It was all about the "cute guy and the haircut."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDK.

In the book by David Gerrold on his time on the staff, he said that Checkov was added in direct response to an article pointing out that the Russians had a strong space program but there was no Russian on the crew.  He had to rewrite his parts for Sulu to  Checkov because Takai was making The Green Berets.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In the book by David Gerrold on his time on the staff, he said that Checkov was added in direct response to an article pointing out that the Russians had a strong space program but there was no Russian on the crew.  He had to rewrite his parts for Sulu to  Checkov because Takai was making The Green Berets.
View Quote

I've seen that too over the years. Today that character would have to be from China and possibly one from India.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#44]
DS-9 Morn
He just wouldnt shut up.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Picard is not worthy to be a pimple on Kirk's ass.
View Quote

I agree Gandof couldn't hold a candle to Dr. Lazarus
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Wesley is the only one I remember hating at the time, all the time.
Others were irritating later on.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Neelix? I’d watch a Neelix series compared to how much I detested the Janeway character. What were they thinking with that casting and writing.

I was excited for new ST show, loved the ship design and most of the characters at least piqued my interest. But Janeway was reprehensible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Neelix? I’d watch a Neelix series compared to how much I detested the Janeway character. What were they thinking with that casting and writing.

I was excited for new ST show, loved the ship design and most of the characters at least piqued my interest. But Janeway was reprehensible.

Yeah but big tits go a long way...And then there was Remo Williams.....
TNG - Luwaxana Troi

Again big tits...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Disagree. Barclay had his issues but overall was an excellent asset.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Voyager:  Kes.  I used to commute with a bunch of Star Trek fans and everyone was glad when she was written off the series.
View Quote

They knew they were going to drop someone when Seven was coming on-board, but they were originally leaning toward dropping Harry Kim.  But then TV Guide came out with some kind of 50 or 100 most handsome actors list, and Garret Wang was on it.  They decided they couldn't cut him right after the positive press.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top