BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RECCE.  You can kill a lot more bad guys and possibly live longer so long as comms are secure.
View Quote

This right here. Three words: call for fire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you guys are all going to do reconnaissance, what command unit will you associate yourself with? How will you communicate with these command elements?

Are you familiar with the various Information Requirements (CCIR as an example) and how they fit into MDMP? Even basic reporting formats like SALT/ SALUTE or simple concepts like METT-C?

Are you going to set up hide sites and OPs? Have you been studying your old-school vehicle identification decks? Is that radio crypto and frequency hopping capable?

Have you thought about access to jalapeño cheese spread in theater? Those adidas motherfuckers might try to stiff you with just peanut butter.

This whole Recce thing seems like a tough row for some random dude, although, granted, those cool boots are cool and cool is cool, no doubt.
View Quote

Anyone who thinks "recce sounds cool, I want to be a sniper" would do well to research all of this. I know I have some learning to do.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let's say you are magically teleported to a non-city center in Ukraine. You're pro Ukraine and you've got comms to a native JOC. Do you go Direct Action or RECCE?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220225_225856587_jpg-2293763.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220219_232003609_jpg-2293765.JPG
View Quote
sorry to disrupt the LARP, but this thread understands that ambushes, drive-by’s, sniper attacks, pot shots from windows, hit and runs from alleys, calling artillery, and directing air strikes and other things generally called “recce” on the internet are all actually  Direct Action, even if done sneaky-like from a concealed position, right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread understands that ambushes, drive-by’s, sniper attacks, pot shots from windows, hit and runs from alleys, calling artillery, and directing air strikes and other things generally called “recce” on the internet are all actually  Direct Action, even if done from a concealed position, right?
View Quote

In theory yes. In the context of this thread not so much IMO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would want a suppressed bolt gun with a thermal sight, NV binos and stims...
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of what the Recce guys do is route planning for ops and overwatch for the assaulters.

Bill Rapier was a Recce guy at DEVGRU for years. He said that the longest shot that he had taken in combat was around 70 yards, and that was providing overwatch in Afghanistan.

With his "RECCE" rifle. Oh, he also has a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm showing my age, but what's wrong with good ol' fashioned "Recon?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This RECCE shit is the gay.  In Murrica we LRRP.

God you people don't even know your own history.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but what's wrong with good ol' fashioned "Recon?"

Because my parents loved me I was raised on a healthy diet of 80s movies, including Heartbreak Ridge. "Recon" is the superior term here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because my parents loved me I was raised on a healthy diet of 80s movies, including Heartbreak Ridge. "Recon" is the superior term here.
View Quote
Movies, pshhh

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll be at the embassy, taking down martinis and slaying puss.
View Quote

So.... DA in other words.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd be in the bushes getting my fuck on with a Javelin and a suppressed bolt action.

I've even got a multicam adidas tracksuit.
View Quote

Get Yours Today!
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. Liberating appreciative vaginas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
LOL advertises Russian website.  That's some ace 4D chess right there!
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys know there are no respawns, right?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be in the bushes getting my fuck on with a Javelin and a suppressed bolt action.

I've even got a multicam adidas tracksuit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172089/01A0DCEC-B1DA-4432-BC82-E5BD93EC01D6_jpe-2293853.JPG

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would want a suppressed bolt gun with a thermal sight, NV binos and stims...
View Quote

>Two enemies walk around the corner 10 yards away
"Stay right there guys!"
>Run 290 yards away
>Take them both out
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Direct action is more my preference.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you guys are all going to do reconnaissance, what command unit will you associate yourself with? How will you communicate with these command elements?

Are you familiar with the various Information Requirements (CCIR as an example) and how they fit into MDMP? Even basic reporting formats like SALT/ SALUTE or simple concepts like METT-C?

Are you going to set up hide sites and OPs? Have you been studying your old-school vehicle identification decks? Is that radio crypto and frequency hopping capable?

Have you thought about access to jalapeño cheese spread in theater? Those adidas motherfuckers might try to stiff you with just peanut butter.

This whole Recce thing seems like a tough row for some random dude, although, granted, those cool boots are cool and cool is cool, no doubt.
View Quote

It hurts me when I see people wearing 9 line shirts who don't know what a 9 line is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're going RECCE, bring a backup rifle in case the mission set changes, you deplete your larger caliber rifle ammo or you take closer contact.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161329/8C8BA794-2C06-4F39-9DEB-E38492E4E298-2294259.jpg
View Quote
Good God that's a lot of fucking shit to carry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Both pairs of shoes suck.

Why do you have locking carabiners on your gear holders? You really wanna fuck around with the screw gate on your belt when you’re just trying to hang up your cool-guy gloves?

I’ll take a track suit and some soccer slides and hang out with the Slav squatters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It hurts me when I see people wearing 9 line shirts who don't know what a 9 line is.
View Quote
Maybe people just like what the shirt depicts? Crazy fucking concept eh?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Airsoft 152 MBITR?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Elaborate please. How does the sidearm fit in the recce role?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if you are actually doing it then you don’t want one.  I knew verrrrrry few people who would take a sidearm

I don't agree. That sidearm might be what gets you home.

Suppressed pistols are a quieter option for barking dogs, sentries…and other uses if compromised.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suppressed pistols are a quieter option for barking dogs, sentries…and other uses if compromised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if you are actually doing it then you don’t want one.  I knew verrrrrry few people who would take a sidearm

I don't agree. That sidearm might be what gets you home.

Wow. Thats some good recce work there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I knew an old (1950-1978) infantry/SF guy that said the best way to make a scout is to send a guy out to look for the enemy without a weapon. If he comes back he probably is good at scouting.

No shit, he said in Korea they didn't take anything metal with them, and they'd crawl back through Brit lines because Americans will shoot at sounds that Brits won't.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I have no military or combat experience and definitely don't like the idea of urban warfare. I grew up sneaking through the mountains of SW VA still hunting deer, squirrels, rabbits, grouse, etc.. I think recon in a rural area would be more up my alley.  I have all but 1 of my ARs set up as "Recce" type rifles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have no military or combat experience and definitely don't like the idea of urban warfare. I grew up sneaking through the mountains of SW VA still hunting deer, squirrels, rabbits, grouse, etc.. I think recon in a rural area would be more up my alley.  I have all but 1 of my ARs set up as "Recce" type rifles.
View Quote

You know how you defeat an insurgency? You get them to move into the hills and then ignore them until they get old and die.

Works really well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I would prefer to spawn in with a B-52. I wouldn't drop any bombs, I'd just fly really low, confuse the shit out of both sides. And right after I die from crashing since I have no ducking idea how to fly a plane, I would spawn in as Putin and then nuke myself.

Nice gear op.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe people just like what the shirt depicts? Crazy fucking concept eh?
View Quote

The Three Bs of the reconnaissance community:

Broken relationships, bad credit and binge drinking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diverse methods of insertion.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That suppressed .22 would also be good for Recon use if you find yourself on an OP in the desert for a long time, and get really bored, and the fucking rats won’t stay out of your shit, so you declare a state of war upon them. Fucking rats must die!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know how you defeat an insurgency? You get them to move into the hills and then ignore them until they get old and die.

Works really well.
View Quote

Those insurgent fish must swim in a sea of people, with no need for bicycles. Or some such shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#37]
OP has some great gear. I'm jelly.

I'd choose the Recce option, but my clothes are the same for either. Just some cheap pants and shirt from LAPG. Merrill boots. Carhartt goes well in my area (South Texas) and is extremely common in town so I think I'm good there, until it rains. Then I break out my practical, non-tactical Patagonia/REI rain gear.

Or are we talking about Ukraine specifically?  I'd probably still use it. The LAPG pants are ranger green and might be a little technical for some towns. Maybe not the mountain - backpacking areas.

My wife is a bow hunter so I'll steal her leafy suit.  I'm a backpacker and have a green Osprey pack but I'd grab a camo pack cover because it's kind of a bright green.  My brother gave me a cheap chest rig.  Probably some other odds and ends too and some spray paint. The closest I came to the military was Boy Scouts though.

Did I mention I'm jealous of OP's gear? Fun idea for a thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like 5 lines better.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Most of what the Recce guys do is route planning for ops and overwatch for the assaulters.

Bill Rapier was a Recce guy at DEVGRU for years. He said that the longest shot that he had taken in combat was around 70 yards, and that was providing overwatch in Afghanistan.

https://soldiersystems.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/afghanistan6c.jpg

With his "RECCE" rifle. Oh, he also has a pistol.
View Quote

Being an a recce troop means you are doing DA 99 percent of the time.  But I wouldn’t expect you to understand that
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I go home.

Ain't no Russian ever call me hunkee!
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I am a tanker, so I pick direct action.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
fuck grey shop. I ordered a $100 pair of pants last black friday. they aledgedly shipped them and DHL lost them. told me they would look into it, I contaced DHL who said they lost it. I fwd that info to grey shop who said OK well get you a new set out soon, and then totally ghosted me. I have emailed several times over months time span, contacted their rep on Insta and even emailed their site direct and its crickets.

Never again.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top