[#1]
My wife loves her 2 1911's in 45

But she did take a real liking to my ar in 300blk  so she could run both those

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
PS90, with an RDS.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
A mother in-law that loves to make passive aggressive comments.

She'll take it from there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy:

A man.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
While .22lr is not exactly ideal, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of my wife doing a mad dump at HD distances.  It has been pretty reliable, has 25 round mags, 4.5 sbr barrel suppressed with a shake awake red dot.  25 rounds is an awful lot to get a CNS hit, especially with little recoil or noise. She can move and manipulate the weapon properly and do mag changes quickly.  I'd prefer her to have an MP5, but I just bought thermal and that will have to wait a little while longer. She shoots 5.56 ARs fine as well. I have suppressed 8.5 300BLK and suppressed 11.3 as bedside guns now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
For females? 700 Nitro Express
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a CMMG upper on an AR lower with the AR style CMMG mags in 9 mm. Light and suppressor.  Perfect for the wife. Less recoil, less noise, and manual of arms is same as an AR15.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on the woman.  Not every woman is a shrinking wallflower, lots of women are pretty strong and trained and would not want an 'ultimate female home defense weapon'.

Some may need something simple like a 5 shot snub .38 with a laser.   Some may want a full house Glock in .45 cal.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cast iron pan!
View Quote

No way, man. I’ve been to too many domestics that involved those…maybe aluminum with the handle held on by chinesium.

I’d let her try some stuff and pick.

Or if a surprise, and I like her, and she likes ARs, a SR-15 CQB, short/light can (TBAC, REX, YHM), Arisaka 3v light, VCAS, Comp M5. Mouthy dog is already present.

If I don’t like her, a Scandium .357, a pump 12, and a box of magnums from Buffalo Bore and a box of whatever I find in 3-1/2”. And a yappy dog.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Most women can learn to shoot most any firearm that any of us here can, assuming they have no medical issues, especially when we are talking 9mm and 5.56.

We should probably be trying to design ways to get them on the range more instead of specific guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Semi auto shoulder fired carbine in 45 acp that takes Glock mags. use the biggest glock mag I could find, test and store gun with hollow point ammo, add tlr1 maybe the laser model for extra help aiming during one handed use. Bonus points for a small suppressor up front.

Hard hitter that's easy to aim and rapid fire, low flash and very quiet with a suppressor. Light weight, good flashlight, low barrier penetration.

Coyotes to burglars that'd handle it. Also okay with 9mm or 10mm.

20 ga shotgun with low recoil buck shot or slugs is also an okay option.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
How reliable are the Savage semiauto .22WMRs? A .22WMR Henry lever or pump gun might work in shitty states.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most women can learn to shoot most any firearm that any of us here can, assuming they have no medical issues, especially when we are talking 9mm and 5.56.

We should probably be trying to design ways to get them on the range more instead of specific guns.
View Quote

You ain’t lying. They’re 51% of the population, and they vote more frequently than males.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
my wife's defense platform is a wicked 80lb Black Lab who hate's most people and is never more than 5 feet away from her when in the house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Ridiculously simple manual of arms - And if you forget some aspect of it, just watch any western movie or TV show.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
A SBRed PS-90 is never a bad choice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Pink charter arms .38 shooting hot +p

Out of all my guns she likes my 15-22 pistol with can.

Better than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]
You're talking about for a woman- whatever she likes and will actually shoot is better than the most tacticool gun that you like.  My now deceased elderly neighbor carried an old S&W .32 top break (never had a permit) and supposedly kept a K frame .32 under her pillow.  Despite me offering to buy my mom any gun she wanted she sticks with my dad's old Ruger MKI; she's shot his Ruger Blackhawk in .45 and a fair share of other guns so she knwos how to shoot but it's what she's comfortable with for whatever reason.  I know a couple of nurses that carry Beretta Tomcats or 21 series, another than carried a Bersa.  My best friend's wife prefers a 20ga Browning.  Another friend's wife likes her Marlin model 60 and another carries a Ruger 9mm (whatever that striker fired single stack polymer gun is).  One of my uncle's wife and one of my ex's both had Charter Arms .38s.  Another one of my ex's carries a Glock 26.  Another uncle's wife has a Llama or maybe it was a Star and yet another has one of those Keltec .22WMR pistols that holds like 30rnds.  One of my cousins has a Model 10 that belong to her dad and another has a 10/22 in the house.  My grandfather's wife would shoot his Winchester trapper in .357.  So yeah, whatever you can get them to actually shoot and be comfortable with.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#19]
This is what The Wife uses.

There's nothing about any particular gun that a female can't learn that a know-nothing recruit can.

We teach those recruits how to use M16's, so it stands to reason that anyone can.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
She's pretty well designed already.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
If your woman didn’t already come strongly opinionated on her preferred weapon system, you already failed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That might be the best dog picture I've ever seen on this site.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That might be the best dog picture I've ever seen on this site.
View Quote

I want a GSD with laser beam eyes.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I have pistols all around the house, all Glocks and even though my wife "says" she could use them, I think if it came down to an actual situation she would freeze up.  

I still tell her she needs to go out with me and practice, and she says "not today, some other time"

With that being said, I do think I am going to get her a 38/357 revolver.  Told my son the same thing, he needs to get his wife a revolver and not depend on the Sig 226 he has now for HD

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, the right answer is to let her pick.

Past that an SBS'd 20gauge junior/bantam Remmington
or Mossberg would do the trick.  That's what my 2nd ex
chose and used.
View Quote

Yes. She should pick what she wants, or what she’s comfortable with.

There is no such thing as a firearm that’s a good fit for all females. Sure some may like smaller firearms. But some also like full-frame handguns and full size rifles.

This will never be a “one size fits all” scenario. Heck it won’t even qualify as “one size fits most”.

Let her decide for herself what she’s capable of handling.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Mossberg defender in 20g is what I got for an ex.

What she's comfortable with.  For mine it needed to be somewhat simple enough in a stressful encounter.  
  She had her own 9mm at the time as well.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#28]

in all honesty a M1 Carbine with a RDS and a light could be the perfect setup for the average female for home defense. hell, it could be the perfect setup period.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
MP5
MP5SD
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I choose twin Belgian Malinois, in the 80# range.

The ones that are trained to go for their target’s junk.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#31]
"ultimate"

And here I was thinking water cooled M1917 or one of the varied and sundry Maxim equivalents in a nice, sandbagged position at the top of the stairs...

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Braced pistol or sbr is where it’s at. I don’t really think there’s a huge difference between a pistol and rifle caliber when used in a 8-12” barrel, inside a normal size house. It’s going to kill shit pretty quick with quality ammo. Noise is a different concern.

A 18” youth shotgun or sbs in 20 or possibly 410 gets a good nod. The 5p 000 buck loads are nothing to scoff at when used at across the house distance.

We ended up with a 10.5” 5.56 for the wife. She’s got 30 friends backing her up, she can take it outside and hit a coyote in the chicken run at 40yds. It has a tlr4, light/laser. She’s not gifted in the eyesight department, so the laser will let her point and shoot at reasonable distance, and the light isn’t too bright to wash everything out inside. Very important when her glasses will probably not be put on at 2am.

But allegedly, putting a light on your HD gun means you can’t aim and I’ll even post ridiculously dark and washed out by 50k lumen pics of my hallway to prove it. Because I’m a big bad man that naturally has cat eyes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

A Yoplait yogurt eating GSD?

That is why you don’t cut their balls off.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
G19. Isn’t that always the answer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Minigun

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, the right answer is to let her pick.

Past that an SBS'd 20gauge junior/bantam Remmington
or Mossberg would do the trick.  That's what my 2nd ex
chose and used.
View Quote

Benelli all the things

DSC_1669-M2 Barrel Billboard by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#37]
CZ Micro Skorpion
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Honestly, this, pretty much...light recoil, easy to charge and use, light, ideal for smaller statured people, etc
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Shield 9mm EZ
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#41]
One of these…

One of these….

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Suppressed 12.5 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Summer Glau

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cast iron pan!

View Quote

That plus superglue will do some damage.
Learned it here on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Pistol caliber AR15 based carbine/pistol braced weapon. Easier to aim and get hits than a pistol. Not as loud, deafening as a rifle or shotgun indoors. Easier to maneuver inside than full length shotgun or rifle and not as useless as a shockwave type shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#46]
20g youth model with an open choke and 18" barrel.  Loaded with slugs or Buck & Ball.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I’ve thought about this.  The thing is…what we’re basically talking about is not guns for women: it’s guns for people who are afraid of the complexity and learning curves required, or just don’t care about dedicating the time required to become proficient…and older folks with diminishing cognition and strength, intimidated by tech.  

I remember taking my dad to shoot when he was in his late seventies. No longer remembered how his Garand functioned (not a shooter), completely intimidated by my AR and it’s accoutrements.  Not enough grip/strength for an auto pistol.

It’s hard to get simpler than a revolver.  Old folks struggle with slide spring tension, both with the strength required and lack of grip.

I guess…I’d design a revolver with a sort of compound trigger…something geared to provide an easier double action pull at the expense of a longer squeeze.  

Laser incorporated into the underlug.  Li-ion rechargeable battery.  Gun has rechargeable rest/stand/base that keeps battery maintained.
If gun is not on charger, laser is on.  No switch or button.  Pick up gun, laser is on.  

Polymer construction to keep weight and cost down.

Smaller caliber to limit recoil to arthritic hands and higher number of rounds/cylinder.  

No sights, no safety, no controls or buttons other than the trigger.

Once it’s fired, it has to be reloaded by a shop or otherwise competent individual.  Honestly, if I could get the price low enough, I’d make it a single use item—disposable.  
A single-use cylinder that is charged at the factory.  No shell ejector, no cylinder release.

A version that is user-reloadable would also be available (at a more traditional price).

If I’m marketing this towards people who aren’t going to practice or become proficient, who just like the idea of having some security around, then the only control I want on there is the trigger.  Pick up gun from recharging stand, put bright dot on what you want to shoot, pull trigger until threat stops or gun stops firing.

Take to dealer for “recharge”, like you would a fire extinguisher.  

Market it as “The gun for people who aren’t gun people”.

The goal is to eliminate the fear of a complex machine.  The “jitterbug” of pistols.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I have trained a ton of females to use Glock 9’s and .40’s, along with 870 shotguns and Colt 6920’s.

Without a doubt, a 16” AR or similar is going to be fine.  Less recoil than a blowback pistol caliber AR, adjustable stock, and just easy to use.  Slap a decent red dot on it and a light, some kind of sling, and you are in business.  

If you want to go 11.5” and add a small can, even better.  

If that is too much, then stick with an M&P 15-22 AR style pistol or rifle.  25 rds of Mini-Mags will mess up anyone’s day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#49]
It already was developed and exists.

The gun specifically made (or at the very least marketed for) women and children farmers in Rhodesia and south Africa to defend against communist raiders.

The American 180.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top