Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That was clearly a shed on concrete footers, not the tiny houses being discussed here.  thanks though
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Hipster fad.

I would only live in something that is less than ~500 sq ft if it were a cheap means to an end.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you have to go outside just to change your mind.

Pass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a neat idea that could be useful to some, but it’s been overblown. For example, a 5 person family should never attempt to live in one. I’m single and I wouldn’t even want to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That was clearly a shed on concrete footers, not the tiny houses being discussed here.  thanks though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh, excuse me. I didn't realize YOU were the person who qualifies these structures. I bow to your esteem.

Mary.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's like all the TV shows on them have disappeared after people learned that it sucks living in that close proximity to others.
View Quote
I would love to see a " Where are they now 12 months later?" type show.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of crappy pole choices so I chose neither.

I just have no interest. I've lived in studios and 1BR apartments of various sizes before, which are pretty much these things except stacked together and I have no interest in going back. I made it work then and truthfully I haven't added much to my collection of junk since moving onto bigger places (Ok, I bought a table finally) but it's so damn nice being able to store things without playing a game of tetris getting it in and out. It's also nice having a place to work on projects instead of constantly shuffling things around when all you have is two feet of counter space.

I don't really need or want a mansion, but I've grown to like having a spare room for hobbies and a garage to store and work on vehicles. These things have neither.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a hippie friend that wanted to do that a couple years ago and asked for my input on the subject.

I told them that they will cost more and be heavier than a comparable travel trailer/rv and that a lot of people build them realize it’s not for them and then sell them for pennies on the dollar as no one knows what kind of quality and what not was used when building it.

They did not listen to my advice and spent god knows how much money building one. Lived in it for about a year and then decided it wasn’t for them. Last I saw they were asking something insane for their tiny house like 45k or something when they’d be lucky to get 20.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I could easily live in a "tiny house". I'd likely enjoy it.

My guns, gear, ammunition, etc.? -not so much
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
You could have a drinking game for those tiny house shows. Ever time someone says "it's SO small" you take a drink.

You'd be blasted by the first commercial break.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My family of 5 lives in a tiny home. Its a 450sf park model RV in an RV park, and it's tiny as hell. We moved here with the intention of iving here temporarily while paying off some debts. We sold our house and bought this place outright, so we have no mortgage and our only utility bill is electric.

It was awesome to get rid of our unneeded junk, and realize how little we truly need. We have been house hunting recently, and its amazing to see how much unnecessary crap most people seem to accumulate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
They're 20% millennial economic woes, 80% American zoning failures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I always say, I would love to see one of these tiny house shows do a "Where Are They Now?" episode, just to see how many people actually stuck with it.

I'd wager that the number of people who abandon "tiny life" within a year is astronomical. Who wants to live in a glorified prison cell?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I chose hipster fad, mostly because they spend a god awful fortune on those pos's that will fall apart in 5yrs
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Think you could post some pics? I think it'd be interesting to see an actual tiny house with a family living in it, as opposed to the ones they show on tv.
View Quote
I started a blog a while back that has some pics. I don't think I am allowed to post a link here, but I can PM you the address if your interested in seeing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tax loophole

Spoke to a guy in park city that had land with a decked out “tiny home”. It was over 1000sqft.

If it has wheels you don’t have to pay the value of the structure on your property taxes. He was taxed only on his lot value.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58a8dc2586e6c0c37392a342/t/58aa15786b8f5bc5081ec695/1487541625401/1+house.jpg?format=1500w
View Quote
The government will fix that “glitch”. You can’t have the little people living free of the king’s land lease payment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I am all for the smallest house you need on the most land you can afford.  A smaller house means less taxes, less upkeep and less to clean up.  Tiny homes are a fad and just aren't practical.  I have a 900 ft2 house with lots of land and love it.   I also have a 600 ft2 cabin I would be equally happy to live in if I was retired and did not have kids around.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
399 sq ft.....FTW
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Do what you want.  Tiny houses are silly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually thought about buying one but concluded that they are too expensive for what you get. 30k, 40k, 50k, you might as well redneck it with a single wide which is twice as large. Probably end up building a granny unit instead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.foxnews.com/weather/blizzard-winds-topple-tiny-house-in-colorado-send-woman-and-two-cats-inside-tumbling

I also imagine they are pussy repellent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Midg... err small people need places to live, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in a 2200 sf ranch with a full basement on a half acre. My retirement dream home is a 1000  sf or less ranch with a full basement on a half acre. I just need to get the spousal unit on board.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind a tiny house if a had a giant workshop.
View Quote
Yep. By where I work, a couple built a giant pole barn. In the corner they closed it in and placed a basement and rooms 2 story high. Rest of the space is garage space and a workshop. I’m starting to think it is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I know a member here with one. It's very nice. Would live in a simple way with something like that.

Add a shed and pole barn shop and good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I've actually given them some thought, and still am considering one.

I'd like to spend my money on land primarily, garage/workshop second, home third. If rather have a garage sized house and a house sized garage, I don't do much inside my house other than eat and sleep.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#30]
UN Agenda 21 propaganda.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#31]
If I was younger and single and wanted to own land but didn’t want the debt burden of a larger house while getting my career and finances on track, I’d build one in a heartbeat. Tons of people on YouTube who show the whole process and their day to day lives, a lot of the people are off grid, self sufficiency types. I’d definitely consider it for hunting or vacation property.

My dad and his long time fishing buddy just bought 1 acre of barely useful land, except it is rivers edge to world class trout fishing. They are trying to figure out easiest way to get a shack on the property, shipping container seems to fit the bill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#32]
More like millennials displaying their poor financial decision making.

Buy Tiny house for 25k plus whatever for land to put it on. Live in it for 6 months to a year, realise you made a mistake , then try and sell it on a market that barely exists.

I'd wager they're going to make some great fishing/hunting cabins when the fad ends and you can buy a used one for 5k
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
need another poll option

3) Cool - wouldn't mind having one as a "cabin" somewhere nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Stupid fad.

If they were actually worried about costs, they wouldn't do half the dumb "compact" shit I've seen them do. Those things are a fashion statement.

I've built remote hunting and fishing camps with more space and accommodations for far less.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh look.  A trailer with a pitched roof.  How novel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I am looking to retire into much smaller house with land.  I like the idea of the 3d printed concrete house and have seen a few of them chained together to add living space while still remaining inexpensive.

This $10,000 3D-Printed Concrete House Took Only 24 Hours to Build

I also like haybale houses as well and could go that route if I had the itch to build myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#37]
They are essentially nothing more than an insanely overpriced, undersized, poorly built and poorly designed RV. You could hardly find a worse way to blow your money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Both, plus a twist.

They’re fancy trailer houses for people who would never be caught dead in The Trailer Park. The Tiny House has better PR, and they can live in their parents’ backyard instead of with a bunch of people they feel are beneath them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I like some of the concepts surrounding them.

"Don't be attached to things" "Don't be owned or burdened by your possessions", etc.

As a person with a house full of stuff (good stuff but still, stuff) and a hankering to buy more just because it's interesting, I would like to downsize a bit.

But, I hate getting rid of stuff I like. My ammo fort wouldn't fit in one of those tiny houses.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Not interested in, or particularly aware of the 'fad'. But, I have lived in one for four years now and I have yet to see a downside to it. Of course, I'm at an age where less is better. Less cost, less to manage, less clutter. Just me and my pug. The only thing inconsistent with that is the extra space afforded by the loft, which is for my visiting grandkids.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
bit of both, i'd say.  as a single guy, i need very little space--just enough for my books and guns.   as long as it has a decent kitchen, a studio apartment has all the space that i really need.  i prefer to spend time outdoors anyway.

now take that studio space and put it in a trailerable package that i can drop on a cheap parcel of land to live rent free?  sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#44]
If i was single and childless I’d heavily consider it. Tiny house and a lot of land
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1) Awesome new way for people to simplify, declutter and distress their live all while helping their environment.

2) Way for poor millennials with worthless degrees, massive student loan debt, and no job prospects to hide the fact that they are just living in a f**king trailer.

EDIT: I have no desire to live in a Tiny Home. Just curious as I keep seeing news articles and youtube videos about them.
View Quote
The kid that lives next door has been building one for the last year and a half, so I’m definitely going with #2
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Joey Diaz on "Micro-Houses"
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m a big fan of simple living. I don’t even own a car. But these tiny houses cost more per square foot than bigger homes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Would be cool.  But I have too much shit and hobbies for a tiny house.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Part of my reason for striving to advance, learn more, and do better is so I can gather material possessions around me that amuse me, entertain me, or improve the quality of my life.  When it comes to housing, it's not just a place to be sheltered from the elements.  It's a means of storing cash-value.  Same as buying durable goods as opposed to consumables.  My S&W 686 will ALWAYS be a S&W 686, and as such will ALWAYS hold value.  My house will ALWAYS hold value.  That value might rise or fall, btu the only way that it becomes zero is if society collapses completely, and then it just has value as shelter again.  Even if that DOES happen, it'll still be worth more than a travel-trailer-sized house.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m a single guy with a dog, give me a 12 car garage and a tiny home

I can build a tiny home for around 12k because I’m doing it my self and I’m going to once I have property out here
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top