User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zippo will repair them free of charge. Rework the hinge, new wick, packing and spare flints. They usually pay shipping both ways too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a couple from Ships I was on... Can anyone recommend who could repair putting, tacking back on the tops? The part that flips open...

Zippo will repair them free of charge. Rework the hinge, new wick, packing and spare flints. They usually pay shipping both ways too.

@Gewehe

Thank you Sir...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to use one back in the day when I smoked. Still have it but never fill it or even bring it with outdoors due to fuel nonsense. Should really get the butane insert for it so it would be useful again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry one daily for twenty something years, and I don’t smoke cigarettes. It was for lighting an old school propane torch a number of times a day, and the habit stuck.

Takes two or three minutes a week to maintain. Have a bottle of Ronsonol in the garage, and walking by on a Monday morning I top it off and I’m set.

Fire up a pipe or a cigar by the fire on a weekend, it’s right there.

But in all honesty, mine is really not much more than a fidget spinner.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
other tip:  scavenge any dead bics you find and pull out the flint.

cut those in half (they're too long to fit in a zippo) and you'll have a lifetime supply of free flints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll stop wasting my flint now.

cut those in half (they're too long to fit in a zippo) and you'll have a lifetime supply of free flints.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQY2ZLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2P17NRCFR483E6QM85A4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$11 and you never have to buy flints again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have acquired a few over the years. They were all sent back to Zippo a few years ago to be refurbished and have sat in a drawer since then. My favorite is the Special Forces one that came from an old friend of my parents. Pretty sure it is Vietnam era. The Chrome one with the black is the Hawaiian coat of arms. Not sure how I got the one from the 8th Brigade (?)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Austrian IMCO lighters are superior in very way to a zippo

https://i.etsystatic.com/6352020/r/il/fb80b5/856450501/il_570xN.856450501_43t2.jpg
View Quote
I love my Imco's, they are really neat how they are built.

My daily carry armor case brass zippo gets more pocket time just because it's starting to get a nice look finally.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Finally took a picture of my paultry collection.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Butane inserts ftw
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few I picked up or were given to me.  Don't smoke so they are just there to have.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have acquired a few over the years. They were all sent back to Zippo a few years ago to be refurbished and have sat in a drawer since then. My favorite is the Special Forces one that came from an old friend of my parents. Pretty sure it is Vietnam era. The Chrome one with the black is the Hawaiian coat of arms. Not sure how I got the one from the 8th Brigade (?)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/328819/IMG_20211212_072220870_jpg-2200982.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/328819/IMG_20211212_072237488_jpg-2200985.JPG
View Quote

@johnboi1966

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been looking for an 8th ID Zippo, and you have the only one I have ever seen!!!!!!

EDIT- That is 8th Infantry Division, not 8th Brigade.

Very nice collection.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one with the butane inseret.

Even the butane insert is finiky about which butane to use.

It is pretty and it is useless.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Zippos are one of those things that should have gone away decades ago but people cling to them out of nostalgia because grandpappy had one. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, unreliable and maintenance intensive compared to the modern alternatives. In short, they are the 1911s of the lighter world.
View Quote

A 1911 was my first pistol when I turned 21. I bought it back when I used Zippos.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good call!  To this I’ll add: store those extra flints INSIDE the zippo under the felt pad, in with the cotton batting. My flints always seemed to wear out at the times I needed it most…

As for the hand warmers I have several of each size and they really do kick ass, and to supercharge them or rejuvenate them when the catalyst starts wearing out (instead of replacing them) one box of these fireplace embers will last you and 87 friends a lifetime. I use tweezers to place a few square right over the original felt pad.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

The camping fuel at Wally World or REI is around $7 for a gallon, those yellow zippo fluid bottles are around $3 because of the zippo name but it’s the same fuel

ETA. Walmart. $7.64 per gallon
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I always wanted one of those pure titanium Zippos.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote
Days? Not in my experience. Bic don't work very well in the wind.
Drive down the highway at 55 mph with the window down and try and light a cigarette with both.
Work in the rain for a few hours and when you're nice and wet try and light a cigarette with both.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

my wife bought a couple for my son and I to carry. neither of us smoke, but she got them because we are out hunting alot.

we found out quickly, the ZIPPO's were designed for daily, if not hourly use.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I always wanted one of those pure titanium Zippos.
View Quote

A - too expensive
B - The hinge doesn't stay attached (spot welding the steel hinge to the titanium shell)
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
ARFCOM doesn't understand people who:
Wear watches
Carry a flashlight
Carry a pocket knife

Don't expect them to understand Zippos
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
they ship dry.

you'll need to fuel it up.

a quart of coleman fuel or naptha is much cheaper than zippo fluid and is basically the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-VM-NAPTHA-QT-KLEAN-STRIP/dp/B01LWRQPWK

View Quote

I was going to post this. Naphtha works well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I daily carry one, and they work great. The fuel will run dry, but unless you're using it a shit ton it'll last a week easy. Just check the flint length, and top off the fluid on Sunday afternoon while you touch up your edc knife and clean your carry gun. If you don't maintain your stuff and would rather sit on the couch and watch tv, there are better options for you.
View Quote

I am over a month on my refill and still lights up.

I don't smoke and never use it but I still carry it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
As far as functionality, they're ridiculously obsolete.  That being said they're iconic Americana.  When I worked in a cigar shop in Baltimore in the 90's-early 2000's, we sold a shit ton of them.  True story, one weekend we had some Russian merchant-marine type (not sure what they call them).  He came in and bought the whole Zippo display (case too).  That, and a shit ton of Marlboros.

ETA one of the cooler finds from the shop:  The original family/ownership (owned it since 1891) was cleaning out their upstairs offices since they were moving.  Some crazy cool shit up there.  One day they came down with a big freakin box.  The box was filled with boxes of NIB Dunhill Windproof "trench" lighters.  They also had another big box of Dunhill fusee/rope wicks too.  Those things were so damn cool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Zippos should be fueled every Sunday for reliable function.

If you can do that religiously, they are superb lighters due to their wind resistance and durability. Most people dont want to do that.

99% of the people who use a lighter will be better off with a Bic.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Austrian IMCO lighters are superior in very way to a zippo

https://i.etsystatic.com/6352020/r/il/fb80b5/856450501/il_570xN.856450501_43t2.jpg
View Quote

I love my IMCO lighters. Especially the more pocket friendly 6800.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
You don't have to use zippo fluid, actually naphta and kerosene usually work better.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#25]

I've picked up a few over the years that I thought were cool. The wolves is my favorite, I carry that one the most
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

You are suppose to close the lid after you use them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I have my maternal grandfather's Zippo, still in it's original box.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone here use and/or collect em'?
View Quote
When I smoked, I had a knack for losing them. Lost one on the General's lawn on 29 Palms. Left on in Denver's airport. Had a few taken at bars. I quit buying them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]

That one in the bottom left kicks ass!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Maybe I’m missing it but I’m not seeing the flamethrower.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a few in my WW2 reenacting kit. Couple paratrooper black crackles and a steel one with engraving. I don't smoke so I only fill them for weekends I'm trooping to light other people's cigs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@basp2005

That Indy lighter is awesome!
I had a zippo in my teens that had the Spitfire bighead logo engraved in it.
Lost it in lake Erie on a fishing trip
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@basp2005

That Indy lighter is awesome!
I had a zippo in my teens that had the Spitfire bighead logo engraved in it.
Lost it in lake Erie on a fishing trip
Thanks.  I was probably 16 or 17 when I got it.  I'm 43 now. Lol.  Local skate shop.
Attachment Attached File

Kind of amazing the things we carry with us through life.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top