BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my reloads to have very shiny brass. I had some in the tumbler for hours and found a live one when done.
View Quote

Ticking time bomb
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why bother? Stained bread shoots the same as shiny brass.
View Quote

Quite true.  

If I use lube, it is a water based lube and I wash it off prior to reloading.  

I've been reloading since the 70s and have never tumbled my brass.  Mine are stained and dark brown, unless the brass is nickle plated, then they are shiny.  

None of my guns have eyes to see.  They don't know the difference between shiny and stained, they all shoot the same.

People were reloading long before tumblers came around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is it?
I hope your joking.

Let me ask you a serious question:

Suppose that you have an electric hotplate, on which is a steel plate.  Upon that plate is a random .45 cal cartridge of any brand that uses a brass case, primer ( large or small, Magnum or standard), propellant normally considered 'gun powder', and a projectile of any commonly used type; be it jacketed, full metal jacket, total metal jacket, lead, hard lead pure copper, black talon, or ranger tallon.

Now, the plate is set to 320 degF.

What do you expect to happen to the case, primer, projectile, the plate, and the immediate environment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral

Is it?
I hope your joking.

Suppose that you have an electric hotplate, on which is a steel plate.  Upon that plate is a random .45 cal cartridge of any brand that uses a brass case, primer ( large or small, Magnum or standard), propellant normally considered 'gun powder', and a projectile of any commonly used type; be it jacketed, full metal jacket, total metal jacket, lead, hard lead pure copper, black talon, or ranger tallon.

What do you expect to happen to the case, primer, projectile, the plate, and the immediate environment?

My joking?

If it's on a treadmill it will probably take off
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why bother? Stained bread shoots the same as shiny brass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is it?
I hope your joking.

View Quote

If a round somehow  went off in your tumbler, I doubt you would notice it.

Hatcher conducted a series of experiments electrically detonating live rounds to simulate one going off in a shirt pocket, he concluded that if a 30-06 went off in your pocket, it might leave a bruise.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top