Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/8/2021 10:30:49 AM EDT
nd story time

so at my private sportsmans club we have four automatic trap bunkers and have open to the public shoots on wednesdays and every other sunday. im not much of a trap shooter and really only shoot it a few times a year usually before i go pheasant hunting but was asked to joint the trap committee. theres about 10 of us that take turns running the shoots and delegate to the guys working on our nights to run it. anyway i wasnt working yesterday but it was nice out and decided to go shoot a round or two. right after i got there i was talking to our club pres and gary (heads trap committee) comes over with a big guy ive never seen before, big about late 40s is wearing a cheap shitty black "tactical/swat" vest holding a new semi auto ar style 12ga which is most likely one of the many new turkish guns flooding the market. they ask me for help since im the go to guy for anything ar related and he jammed his gun up pretty bad. the tac vest guy tells me he just got it and doesnt know anything about it and most of the regular trap old guys are fudds. gary is already pissed at this guy for walking up to the ticket window with the action closed and chews his ass out. strike one for tac vest guy

so i take the gun into the garage to work on it so i can use a bench, tools and be away from everyone since the bolt is jammed back and theres a live shell stuck above the follower. pop both pins and pull the upper up and forward to separate the gun and remove the shell. the guy must have put the 5rnd mag in with a hammer cause bolt hold open tab on the mag is about 1/2" above the bolt catch, i then smash the mag out. smfh. after i put the gun back together, and checking it i explain in great detail the controls and that its club rules the action must remain open and not have a shell in the gun until its your turn to shoot on the trap line. show him several times where the bolt catch is how it works and it will lock open on the empty mag. tell him to keep the action open and when its his turn to shoot drop a shell in the ejection port, raise the gun hit bolt release and fire. he didnt get the memo......

about 20min later im standing at the waiting table down at trap 1 waiting for the squad to finish so i can shoot a round (tac vest guy) is on station two about 15' in front of me. gary comes over to tell me to remind the guy to pick up the empty hulls his semi is throwing at the guy to his right. i tell gary who is a busybody im not working tonight, hes running the shoot and to tell one of the two guys working the trap but i say ill pass it along anyway. as hes talking to be idiot in question has his barrel on the little pad on the concrete firing line and nds a round about 2" from his right foot. we run over gary screams to get off the line while i check his gun and make sure he doesnt have a hole in his hoof. he procedes to tell me he was following my instructions to the t and the gun just went off, yeah ok slick ya had your booger hooker on the bang switch and had a loaded shell/action closed when it wasnt your turn. dude got lucky he wasnt resting the barrel on his boot like i see so many old boomer fudds do

tl/dr. retard broke the rules could have lost a foot but got lucky with his nd
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If someone showed up to my trap range with a tac vest I would tell him to take it off or take a hike. Trap is a etiquette game, a lot like golf.

I dont care if you want to play navy seal dress up over on the rifle and pistol ranges but keep that shit off my trap range.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you hate caps?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
dude got lucky he wasnt resting the barrel on his boot like i see so many old boomer fudds do
_
View Quote

I never understood why they did that. Or why trap/skeet/clay lines allow it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly surprised mag fed semi auto was allowed to shoot trap. Especially when the owner is in a tac vest. Even more so when he has demonstrated he doesn’t know how the gun works.

I think trap can be a little too pretentious and boomer, but as the poster above me said there is an expected etiquette. Their range their rules, respect that or go shoot on private land.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the little leather pads you can attach to your boot to more comfortably rest the barrel of your freaking gun on your foot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Some folks just don't have a familiarity for anything mechanical no matter how many times you explain it to them. I know an intelligent doctor and another entomologist that just cannot get a grip on basic safe handling and the mechanics of how a gun works.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the little leather pads you can attach to your boot to more comfortably rest the barrel of your freaking gun on your foot.
View Quote

Trap guys rest loaded barrels on there feet? I can see a a guy doing it with a broke open action and the empty barrels resting on your foot to keep the muzzle off the dirt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish for a trap/skeet club that doesn't allow anything other than a O/U.  A lot of people don't know how to handle a shotgun and a semi can be dangerous for them and people around them.  Some know the rules, but appear not to give a darn.  They consistently sweep others.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If someone showed up to my trap range with a tac vest I would tell him to take it off or take a hike. Trap is a etiquette game, a lot like golf.

View Quote
Maybe that's his business casual?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Lmao Ive always wanted to show up at a sporting clays shoot with a mag fed semi shotgun
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lmao Ive always wanted to show up at a sporting clays shoot with a mag fed semi shotgun
View Quote

Saiga with 20rd drum mag

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish for a trap/skeet club that doesn't allow anything other than a O/U.  A lot of people don't know how to handle a shotgun and a semi can be dangerous for them and people around them.  Some know the rules, but appear not to give a darn.  They consistently sweep others.
View Quote

So, I'd have to hold my SxS sideways?  That'll make it more challenging...

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Saiga with 20rd drum mag
View Quote

The guys at work shoot sporting clays all the time

In fact we do a yearly shoot for some fundraiser.

A few months ago my buddy let me have some AK shotgun thingy to see if I could get it to work with lighter loads

I should bust that motherfucker out this time for the fundraiser
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen it at charity shoots.

Even with the very soft targets, they do not do well in real life.  I'm sure that their internet postings differed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dude got lucky he wasnt resting the barrel on his boot like i see so many old boomer fudds do
_

This was discussed in a similar thread just a few days ago.

From what I understand, resting the muzzle on your foot is generally only done with an O/U with the action open, which pretty much guarantees that it is empty and unable to fire.

Attempting to do the same with a semi would be extremely awkward, just based on the lengths and angles involved.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
-checks location- yup
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Went to a Clay shoot a few weeks back and have never seen so much unsafe gun handling in my life.  

Apparently it's a thing for Boomers who are really into that shit to point their shotguns at each others faces to show their custom offset of the stock from the bore.

I had one ask if he could show me and I just told him "fuck no" and walked away.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Is a tac vest all that different from your trap/hunting/sporting clays vests?  I guess it's nylon instead of leather and might have a few more pockets.

That said, I'm glad to hear you allow non-traditional shotguns.  The place i used to shoot at wouldn't allow anything with a pistol grip or barrel less than 26".  I had to find a shitty old shotgun to shoot there since my benelli wasn't classy enough.

Eta:
I'll second the safety complaints.  As a 3 gun shooter, I was appalled by the lack of muzzle discipline at the trap & clays field.  Then they came and yelled at me for carrying it muzzle down/action open with a chamber flag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Resting of the muzzles on the foot or toe pad should be limited to break action guns only for very obvious reasons.  If you are too stupid to keep yourself from shooting your foot, you get what you deserve.  

None...and I mean none of the box fed guns shoot to where they are pointed.  Take it to a pattern board.  I have shot Saiga' that would throw a pattern three feet to one side at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Coach 4H Trap, kids seem to figure out semi-autos just fine.  Anybody acting in an unsafe manner is kicked off the line, no excuses.

Muzzle:  Always pointed in a safe direction.

Action:  Always open until your ready to fire.

Trigger:  Finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#22]

I have a little SBS saiga with a drum and bust clays with it off the back deck... with a RDS too.

It's a blast (literally).  
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
nd story time

so at my private sportsmans club we have four automatic trap bunkers and have open to the public shoots on wednesdays and every other sunday. im not much of a trap shooter and really only shoot it a few times a year usually before i go pheasant hunting but was asked to joint the trap committee. theres about 10 of us that take turns running the shoots and delegate to the guys working on our nights to run it. anyway i wasnt working yesterday but it was nice out and decided to go shoot a round or two. right after i got there i was talking to our club pres and gary (heads trap committee) comes over with a big guy ive never seen before, big about late 40s is wearing a cheap shitty black "tactical/swat" vest holding a new semi auto ar style 12ga which is most likely one of the many new turkish guns flooding the market. they ask me for help since im the go to guy for anything ar related and he jammed his gun up pretty bad. the tac vest guy tells me he just got it and doesnt know anything about it and most of the regular trap old guys are fudds. gary is already pissed at this guy for walking up to the ticket window with the action closed and chews his ass out. strike one for tac vest guy

so i take the gun into the garage to work on it so i can use a bench, tools and be away from everyone since the bolt is jammed back and theres a live shell stuck above the follower. pop both pins and pull the upper up and forward to separate the gun and remove the shell. the guy must have put the 5rnd mag in with a hammer cause bolt hold open tab on the mag is about 1/2" above the bolt catch, i then smash the mag out. smfh. after i put the gun back together, and checking it i explain in great detail the controls and that its club rules the action must remain open and not have a shell in the gun until its your turn to shoot on the trap line. show him several times where the bolt catch is how it works and it will lock open on the empty mag. tell him to keep the action open and when its his turn to shoot drop a shell in the ejection port, raise the gun hit bolt release and fire. he didnt get the memo......

about 20min later im standing at the waiting table down at trap 1 waiting for the squad to finish so i can shoot a round (tac vest guy) is on station two about 15' in front of me. gary comes over to tell me to remind the guy to pick up the empty hulls his semi is throwing at the guy to his right. i tell gary who is a busybody im not working tonight, hes running the shoot and to tell one of the two guys working the trap but i say ill pass it along anyway. as hes talking to be idiot in question has his barrel on the little pad on the concrete firing line and nds a round about 2" from his right foot. we run over gary screams to get off the line while i check his gun and make sure he doesnt have a hole in his hoof. he procedes to tell me he was following my instructions to the t and the gun just went off, yeah ok slick ya had your booger hooker on the bang switch and had a loaded shell/action closed when it wasnt your turn. dude got lucky he wasnt resting the barrel on his boot like i see so many old boomer fudds do

tl/dr. retard broke the rules could have lost a foot but got lucky with his nd

I'm calling BS on your story. You say you think it's a Turk gun... "which is most likely one of the many new turkish guns" yet when you supposedly took it in the back to work on it for 20 minutes, you didn't confirm your suspicions. What did "Gary" really do to make you so mad at him?!

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went to a Clay shoot a few weeks back and have never seen so much unsafe gun handling in my life.  

Apparently it's a thing for Boomers who are really into that shit to point their shotguns at each others faces to show their custom offset of the stock from the bore.

I had one ask if he could show me and I just told him "fuck no" and walked away.
View Quote

I see a lot of unsafe gun handling every time I go to a shotgun range. Fudds
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish for a trap and skeet range without people like you...
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do you hate caps?
View Quote

And sentence structure?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I dont care if you want to play navy seal dress up over on the rifle and pistol ranges but keep that shit off my trap range.
View Quote

long story short I wound up shooting with some perazzi guys once, I was using a mossberg 590A1.   You have never seen more head shakes and sad forlorn and judgy looks. Especially because I was hanging with them, and beating some of them. There were some snide comments about cheating with an open choke and short barrel.

They were happy when I broke out the side-by-side and they realized i wasn't a complete hoodlum.

it was pretty funny.  I still shoot with some of them every once in a while and they still give me grief about my "sawed off shotgun"
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish for a trap and skeet club that doesn't allow people like you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve done it with a Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Coach 4H Trap, kids seem to figure out semi-autos just fine.  Anybody acting in an unsafe manner is kicked off the line, no excuses.

Muzzle:  Always pointed in a safe direction.

Action:  Always open until your ready to fire.

Trigger:  Finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.
View Quote

Many semi-autos work great as single shots. Drop a shell in. Close the bolt/action. Fire. Bolt locks back. Repeat.

Absolutely no one thinks showing up at a trap/skeet/sporting clays shoot with a mag-fed shotgun is cool, edgy, or marks you as a badass. It's exactly like showing up to a precision rifle match with a Tapco'd SKS. Stop it. And stop telling us about the time you went 25/25 with one and showed the boomers who's boss. No one believes that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saiga with 20rd drum mag

http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-2662-1182824121.jpg

a friend of mine (SOT) showed up on at Prado in CA with a Salvo-12 equipped Saiga-12 to test it a bit.  he was out there about 10 minutes before he got ran off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I see a lot of unsafe gun handling every time I go to a shotgun range. Fudds
View Quote

Maybe, but most of the time when you hear about an nd at trap or skeet club its because 'Gary' shows up with his tacticool gear and doesn't have a clue how to use it or how to shoot in a busy environment. That or people learning how to use release triggers - those are always good for a hole in the ground in front of the line or paint missing from the back of a trap house.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Easy, action should be open and with a SxS or OU it is easy to see.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only allow them for O/U if they are broke open with no shell in, otherwise foot rests are a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#35]
idgaf about grammar nazis lol. anyway i always use my maverick 88 18" pump for both trap and bird hunting, its my only shotgun and i like to be good with what i own. several boomers i know always offer to lend me their back up trap guns and i say thanks but im good. the range fudds know me long enough to give give my evil black guns a pass, just to ruffle some feathers i did shoot a round years ago with my brothers ksg

the entire thing was pretty nuts and im glad nobody got hurt no matter how dumb the guy acted
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]
It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting a fancy O/U that costs as much as sone bee cars, or the cheapest Turkish semi-auto shotgun - firearms safety is firearms safety.

I’ve trap trap, skeet snd sporting clays, and these sorts of shotgun games aren’t for me.  Definitely worthwhile for anyone to try out at least once.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

long story short I wound up shooting with some perazzi guys once, I was using a mossberg 590A1.   You have never seen more head shakes and sad forlorn and judgy looks. Especially because I was hanging with them, and beating some of them. There were some snide comments about cheating with an open choke and short barrel.

They were happy when I broke out the side-by-side and they realized i wasn't a complete hoodlum.

it was pretty funny.  I still shoot with some of them every once in a while and they still give me grief about my "sawed off shotgun"
View Quote

That's interesting, because I brought my benelli m4 to shoot sporting clays one time expecting for lots of looks. Nobody could have cared less and just went about their business.

I love trap. Even if it is a boomer sport. High School Trap got me hooked and I'm glad for it. I should go shoot a round this weekend. It's been too long.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Their club , their rules. I have packed up and left club shoots where I was a guest and didn't like how things were run.

I have always thought that certain clubs and their klicks are their own worst enemy. Anybody who shows up at any of my club shoots (of any type) is guided into what we determine is safe gun handling. Weird guns and weird ways of dressing is ok as long as they are safe. All safe shooters are welcome at my club.

If a person is not safe we guide them and get rid of them if they don't comply . Sometimes depending on the situation it is "you are done for the night ,we will work with you so you can come back next time we shoot" to (in extreme situations) " Sorry , not allowed to shoot with us because of such and such"
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Absolutely no one thinks showing up at a trap/skeet/sporting clays shoot with a mag-fed shotgun is cool, edgy, or marks you as a badass. It's exactly like showing up to a precision rifle match with a Tapco'd SKS. Stop it. And stop telling us about the time you went 25/25 with one and showed the boomers who's boss. No one believes that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Trap guys rest loaded barrels on there feet? I can see a a guy doing it with a broke open action and the empty barrels resting on your foot to keep the muzzle off the dirt.
View Quote

Every time i've seen it its with and O/U or SxS with the action broke open.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I like how he says he was following your instructions.

If he had killed somebody, he would have blamed you.  Forever.

This is somebody who holds himself personally responsible for his own actions.

This guy should never be allowed to set foot on the property again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So, I'd have to hold my SxS sideways?  That'll make it more challenging...

View Quote
Homeboy gangsta style trap.

I'd pay to watch that...

From a safe distance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Running and screaming is generally a poor way to run a range or teach people anything useful.

Insults tend to amplify failure.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Honestly surprised mag fed semi auto was allowed to shoot trap. Especially when the owner is in a tac vest. Even more so when he has demonstrated he doesn’t know how the gun works.

I think trap can be a little too pretentious and boomer, but as the poster above me said there is an expected etiquette. Their range their rules, respect that or go shoot on private land.
View Quote

This. Local trap club specifically prohibits mad fed or MSR style shotguns on the trap range.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, on a skeet field, with a broke open (obviously empty) O/U, resting the barrels on ones foot is acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#47]
IDGAF about broke-open, empty chamber, etc.  It's a way to create complacency in the shooter. And it's a violation of two of the four primary safety rules, namely,  "treat every gun as if it's loaded" and "always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction."

ETA: in before "muh Big-Boy Roolz..."
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This. Local trap club specifically prohibits mad fed or MSR style shotguns on the trap range.
View Quote

We have no such rule.  But, in trap you are only allowed to load 1 for singles, 2 If trap doubles.  We allow loading 2 at skeet, even skeet singles, but you're not allowed to step off of the pad with a closed action, or a shell in the chamber or magazine.

If you want to fool with a magazine to load 1 or load 2 have at it. If you can load through the port its probably no different than your 1100.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's pretty common. A broken open shotgun is just a steel tube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
as hes talking to be idiot in question has his barrel on the little pad on the concrete firing line and nds a round about 2" from his right foot.
View Quote

I can't figure out... was it "Gary" that had a discharge or the tactical vest guy?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top