Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol, because criminals families have a million laying around? Lawsuits don't make magic money appear.
View Quote
They do if you can afford the right lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if insurance would cover it, why should they cover a deliberate act like this?  This idea that the city should walk away is plain wrong.  This should make all homeowners and businesses worried, are they screwed too?  Appears the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not sue the criminal, or his family, who caused the problem?

Perhaps filing a lawsuit under eminent domain wasn't the best option?
View Quote
So you get a judgement against the shitbag. How do you collect. You don’t. But hey, there’s that judgement on his record.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
police-blew-up-an-innocent-mans-house

What do you guys think? Too bad? He must not have had insurance////
View Quote

The judge should award ownership all of of the cops involved to the guy who lost his house. They would think twice before they destroyed someone’s property again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More like should have read the fine print.  This is pretty typical:
View Quote
If that is the case, then I agree that the department should be on the hook for the damages.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's either a policy or it's not.
View Quote
If it is a policy to blow up and drive an up armored transport into a house to catch a shoplifter, than I would say it should that policy should be fucking changed.  It makes it ok because policy?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it is a policy to blow up and drive an up armored transport into a house to catch a shoplifter, than I would say it should that policy should be fucking changed.  It makes it ok because policy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy had a firearm, he is a threat to the community.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It sucks that we have to deal with the costs from these shitbags.  They should be forced to work in labor camps until full restitution is made to their victims.  Should have had insurance.  The police destroyed property to protect life.  I am ok with that choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It sucks that we have to deal with the costs from these shitbags.  They should be forced to work in labor camps until full restitution is made to their victims.  Should have had insurance.  The police destroyed property to protect life.  I am ok with that choice.
The suspect, Robert Jonathan Seacat, had stolen a shirt and a couple of belts from a Walmart
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could try reading the fucking article and realize the "shoplifter" ran away from the wal-mart and broke into this home while displaying a handgun. While the home was occupied by a 9 year old.

So he went from shoplifting to burglary of an occupied dwelling while carrying a gun.

But he's just a shoplifter, no threat to the community!

How exactly do you propose to safely extract armed barricaded felons without using gas or damaging the building? Wait them out like a medieval siege? They can probably last a month or two inside a regular suburban house.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet, they'll raid a house for $100 of weed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Panel-of-Judges-SMACK-DOWN-defense-on-a-no-knock-raid-GONE-WRONG/5-2267496/
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m OK with that choice as well, but I also think the people who benefit from that choice (the taxpayers) should cover cost of realizing that benefit.  They should, of course, recover what they can from the perp.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You could try reading the fucking article and realize the "shoplifter" ran away from the wal-mart and broke into this home while displaying a handgun. While the home was occupied by a 9 year old.

So he went from shoplifting to burglary of an occupied dwelling while carrying a gun.

But he's just a shoplifter, no threat to the community!

How exactly do you propose to safely extract armed barricaded felons without using gas or damaging the building? Wait them out like a medieval siege? They can probably last a month or two inside a regular suburban house.
View Quote
That is exactly what I expected.  But I didn't see that it was occupied.  That does change things indeed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not all now is it?

"an armed Walmart shoplifting suspect randomly barricaded himself after fleeing the store on a June afternoon in 2015. For 19 hours, the suspect holed up in a bathroom"
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The police response seems excessive for a shoplifter that was believed to be armed but wasn't and didn't shoot anybody.

But I wasn't there.

Either way, the city needs to make them whole. Anything else is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember this, June afternoon in 2015.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m OK with that choice as well, but I also think the people who benefit from that choice (the taxpayers) should cover cost of realizing that benefit.  They should, of course, recover what they can from the perp.
View Quote
If it is standard to exclude this from a policy, I agree.  If the homeowner was underinsured, i.e. self insured, well then no.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yet, they'll raid a house for $100 of weed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Panel-of-Judges-SMACK-DOWN-defense-on-a-no-knock-raid-GONE-WRONG/5-2267496/
View Quote
I don't agree with that kind of bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The police response seems excessive for a shoplifter that was believed to be armed but wasn't and didn't shoot anybody.

But I wasn't there.

View Quote
He broke into the house in question while carrying a gun. While the homeowner's 9 year old was alone inside.

You tell me exactly how you would react to an armed burglar breaking into your house while your 9 year old was inside.

Once the child escaped would you prefer the police

a) Take the scumbag into custody

or

b) "De-escalate" and leave and go "Well, we'll get him next time, it was just a shoplift."
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But I wasn't there.

View Quote
IIRC, he shot at the first officers that arrived at the house.  Bullet hole in their vehicle.

He was also shooting up some of the 300+ grams of meth he had with him.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#22]
After reading GD, I think we should propose a new law - the police should never be allowed to enter a private dwelling under any circumstances. Armed murdered taking potshots from his living room window? It's better for all involved if the police wait for him to stop and arrest him when he leaves his house to get groceries. Just think of how many lives we'd save.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why not sue the criminal, or his family, who caused the problem?

Perhaps filing a lawsuit under eminent domain wasn't the best option?
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There was a cop in NY who had a crook run into his house. I think after a failed entry where a swat team member accidentally killed another cop the house ended up burning down after they fired gas canisters or whatever into the house. Rumor is crook was dead but who's going to order a second entry
View Quote
Remember Dorner?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#25]
If we follow this decision down to its logical conclusion, if police are shooting at a suspect and they kill a bystander, I guess we just have to shrug that off too.

I get that the responsible party for initiating the action is the shoplifter.
But if he ran into a shopping mall, could the police burn down the entire thing and just walk away?

This isn't a police issue, it's the city indemnifying innocent bystanders from collateral damage in the performance of law enforcement actions.

Maybe the problem was going the Eminent Domain route instead of "Due Care" or "Reasonable Force" or "Innocent Bystander" or "Collateral Damage" route.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Remember Dorner?
View Quote
Send in the burners.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The bigger crime is the OP's use of a hyphen...
View Quote
Sorry it was copied.... I am fucking FAR to lazy to do that my self... OR remove it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That what I was thinking, that doesn't look like a $400k house. I bet much of that $400k might be lawyer fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the guy out $400k if the city paid his deductible and temp housing and insurance paid the rest???? Was he under insured or something?
That what I was thinking, that doesn't look like a $400k house. I bet much of that $400k might be lawyer fees.
Average price home in Greenwood Village is over $1,000,000.
Cherry hills borders it were you are averaging $3,000,000
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So what life were they protecting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?
So what life were they protecting?
This guy....
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If we follow this decision down to its logical conclusion, if police are shooting at a suspect and they kill a bystander, I guess we just have to shrug that off too.

I get that the responsible party for initiating the action is the shoplifter.
But if he ran into a shopping mall, could the police burn down the entire thing and just walk away?
View Quote
You aren't following any decision to a logical conclusion, you are making stuff up. First of all, the decision applies to property, not people, so the bystander thing is just GD derp fodder.

Second of all, the shoplifter ARMED HOME INVADER didn't flee into a shopping mall, he broke into a house which the cops surrounded and fired gas into after a standoff. That is not "burning something down and walking away", it's using reasonable tactics and equipment to take an armed and dangerous felon into custody with minimal risk of losing a human life in the process.

The subsequent unreasonable decision by the city to not assist the homeowner in rehabilitating the damaged property does not in any way make what the police did unreasonable.

If you want to "follow things to the logical conclusion" you should try actually applying logic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did the officers make it home safe though?
View Quote
I heard one of them had a dental appointment. No cavities though, so all good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
So how much time did the alleged armed shoplifter get after the homeowner's house was protected and served the fuck out of?

The World Wonders.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, a lotta cops are gonna see that ruling and think "that's quite enabling!"
View Quote
When you have a blank check and apparently no accountability, why not?

Take a few days, investigate yourself then aim for the stars!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So how much time did the alleged armed shoplifter get after the homeowner's house was protected and served the fuck out of?

The World Wonders.
View Quote
100 years
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I get the whole principle that the police can't be limited in what they do, but...

If we're gonna socialize the costs of running the police departments, and pay for them through taxes, then why the hell aren't we socializing all the expenses accrued for crap like this? If the homeowner is actually out $400,000.00 to rebuild his house, then the rest of the community ought to be sharing that load, because it was created in service of a public good, to wit, public safety.

I don't get why the police and the city government are resisting paying for this. If destroying someone's property is necessary, to support a public good, then the owners of that property deserve to be made whole by the beneficiaries of that act--The local community.

I really don't get the issue. Police did what they did, did it in the name of public safety, and the consequences of that should not be laid on just one member of the community.

I'd be seriously asking why the hell I needed to pay taxes, in the homeowners case, until the damages were paid for via forgone taxes paid to that community.

Whole thing seems seriously overboard, all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

100 years
View Quote
He also tried to run over an officer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
100 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The World Wonders.
100 years
Fair enough. He must have been a three-striker because they said his sentence was enhanced due to priors.

In CO he will have to do at least 38 to 50 years before he is eligible for parole.

It's still no good reason not to pay the homeowner for damages caused to his property during the apprehension. .

Also it sorta makes the "sue the perp" argument a moot point.

CO inmate pay rates.

$0.84 to $2.45 per day for full time assignments, $0.42 starting wage for half time assignments.

At "top-pay" that works out to around $900.00 a year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#38]
“Shoplifting” their bias is showing

Police chase and armed home invasion, actually.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Shoplifter”
You either did not read the circumstances or you are incredibly biased
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He broke into the house in question while carrying a gun. While the homeowner's 9 year old was alone inside.

You tell me exactly how you would react to an armed burglar breaking into your house while your 9 year old was inside.

or

b) "De-escalate" and leave and go "Well, we'll get him next time, it was just a shoplift."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I wasn't there.

or

This. Armed home invasion suspect of an occupied residence
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd be interested in how he was financially harmed. The situation sucks to be sure and they were most certainly "inconvenienced" but what was the financial harm? The city offered to pay rent and the insurance deductible which leads me to believe that we was fully insured.  Yes, this guy seems pissed as would I but also seems like he's looking for a paycheck.

Fucked up situation and perhaps the cops could have done better but I wasn't there so it's hard to second guess.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

“Shoplifter”
You either did not read the circumstances or you are incredibly biased
View Quote
No, I didn't read it well honestly.  I'm busy reading the Boogaloo Memes thread and just hopping around on page loads.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What’s with all the cop hating threads? Is it crap on Police day? Wtf
View Quote
Yeah, I wasn't aware it was OK to post about using killdozers to take out cops.  

This issue is one that liberals should be all over.  Instead of sucking the cocks of criminals, calling them "justice involved" and such, push for victim funds.  People are adversely affected by scumbag criminals every day, and the funds available to compensate them are nearly nonexistent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Whose life was in danger?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I doubt the guys insurance, if he has any, would cover this. I know my ins has disclaimers for acts of war and aggression by gov agencies, or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the guy out $400k if the city paid his deductible and temp housing and insurance paid the rest???? Was he under insured or something?
The article says "His out-of-pocket expenses to rebuild the house cost him nearly $400,000[.]" That doesn't sound like lawyer fees. It could easily cost more than $15,000 to demolish the old house. After accounting for storage of property during construction, rental during construction, permitting, etc., a $150 per square foot construction cost will put considerably less than 2,500 square feet on the ground. $400,000 out of pocket is not unrealistic at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, a lotta cops are gonna see that ruling and think "that's quite enabling!"
View Quote
Happened already in Harrison County MS.

Cops burned man's crops to the ground because they thought it was pot needles. Local collaborationist in a black robe said "oh well - it was an honest mistake".
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
FWIW, the GVPD chief is a real piece of work.

Told me suppressors are not for hunting and asked why I needed one and also wrote the first letter to the ATF on pistol braces.

Best to ventilate armed intruders on your own accord round these parts.
View Quote
@NEASGNoMercy

What did you tell the tool?  Did you ask WTF does need have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Dynamic entry, robots, explosives, armored cars are cheaper for the department than cutting utilities and waiting out the suspect. the whole escaped also is a good psy-op to keep the sheep in check.

City just transferred the cost to a 3rd party.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top