Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2014 8:45:43 PM EDT
Post here if you have personally had your 42 prematurely lock the slide back with ammo still in the mag.

Brand, bullet weight, type

Example:
Buffalo Bore 90 Gn JHP
Factory Speer Gold Dot 90 grain

That way we will all know what ammo to avoid (until Glock redesigns the 42's slide stop lever).
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Post here if you have personally had your 42 prematurely lock the slide back with ammo still in the mag.

Example:
Buffalo Bore 90 Gn JHP

That way we will all know what ammo to avoid (until Glock redesigns the 42's slide stop lever).
View Quote

Did this personally happen to you?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Example:

Buffalo Bore 90 Gn JHP

Sounds like he's been watching hickok45

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted a picture of my wife's G42, with a Win PDX1 in the mag, showing how it COULD happen. It looks like the slide stop is close enough to come into contact with the bullet. We fired a box of 20 Win PDX1 thru her gun, along with a box of 100 Win FMJ, and had no issues what-so-ever. The only actual report I've seen or read was from the Hickok45 video.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
>>The only actual report I've seen or read was from the Hickok45 video.<<  

And usually nothing goes wrong for him!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks odd.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
That a 9mm round. Case is too long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think the bullets are the problem.  Although they are extremely close, the rounds kind of roll around the lever if they begin to touch.  I think the problem is the lever has the fulcrum way at the front, and with the stronger recoil of the more powerful ammo, the lever is staying in place instead of rotating with the gun.  I think the new spring design, where the spring is pushing up from the front, instead of the old style, where the spring is pushing down towards the middle is what is causing it.  A stronger spring should fix it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a .380 round. I do have a pic with a 9mm round shoved In there though

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I had mine out at the range on Saturday, and didn't have any issues with it locking back on a mag with ammo in it. I did have some FTF and FTE using Federal target rounds, but it was mostly in the first 20 or so rounds, which leads me to think it may have just been some break-in issues. I think there were two malfunctions for the rest of the box. It may have also just not liked the ammo.

Also ran a box of Hornady Critical Duty's through it, and those worked perfect, no issue whatsoever. It definitely liked those.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Has happened to mine G42 with Gold Dot 90 grain.  The ogive on my new ammo (Winchester LE T series) is pretty large and does hit the slide stop lever like the above pictures show.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I had several FTFs and double feeds (at least 10%) using PPU 94grain FMJ for the first 100 rounds on Saturday.  I didn't have any other ammo to test so I'm not sure if it's ammo, mag, or gun related.  I'm not writing it off, as all of my other Glocks run well.  But, it's not a confidence inspiring beginning for the 42 for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has happened to mine G42 with Gold Dot 90 grain.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Gold dot loaded by Speer or another company that uses Gold Dot bullets?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I took my wife's G42 to the range yesterday and could only get 40 rounds of Remington FMJ through it.  Air temp was -14 F with a 25 mph cross wind. I had to walk thru 250 yards of knee high snow drifts to get to the backstop. My bare hands just couldn't take anymore mag loading at that point.  But, no malfunctions in extreme cold weather for as much as I could tolerate.

If I knew the range hadn't been plowed I would have brought better winter gear like snowshoes, gaiters, and warmer clothing.  Also a shovel to dig out my Jeep since I got it stuck trying to get down the range.

I had PPU with but never loaded up any.  The next trip out I'll be better prepared.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm.

Can you measure OAL on this particular cartridge?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Ive put 100 rds of ppu and 50 rds win white box through mine and not a single problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Photoshopped glocks are perfect....

Banish him.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Photoshopped glocks are perfect....

Banish him.
View Quote

Me? All of my photos are from my iPhone, uploaded straight to imageshack, and I lack the skills to alter anything.

I have some PPU FMJ, and more Win white box FMJ, that I plan on running thru it again later this week. I'll probably run a second box of Win PDX1 thru it, just to reaffirm that if functions perfectly with it. As I've said, I'll update this if anything causes an issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a quick video I took of my wife shooting the first mag of PDX1. This was after 100 rounds of Win FMJ. Straight out of the box, right to the range. Gave it a quick once over before shooting to make sure everything looked right, then off she went.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/38/v8qw.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/839/t9gc.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/38/v8qw.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/839/t9gc.jpg

And they couldn't have made the g42 in a proper round like 9mm... why?

ETA: That trigger mechanism looks very different.... I'd love to see the housing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]
It is very different, I've had it completely broken down just to check things out, but I didn't take any pics of it. There are a few pics floating around, on blogs, that show it 100% disassembled. The changes they made are pretty cool, and as others have said, I could see them making their way into the larger Glocks.

ETA: Glock Blog on the 42
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Good chance someone's thumb or fat hand was pressing against the slide release.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#23]
^this!

I'll need to find some .380 before hitting the range with my G42!

~g
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It is very different, I've had it completely broken down just to check things out, but I didn't take any pics of it. There are a few pics floating around, on blogs, that show it 100% disassembled. The changes they made are pretty cool, and as others have said, I could see them making their way into the larger Glocks.

ETA: Glock Blog on the 42
View Quote

VERY interesting....
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Something I've noticed about little pistols with slide-stop levers....Taking a 'big pistol' grip on a little pistol that recoils to any degree can lead to shooter induced premature slide-locks.....damn thumb is too big..have to alter grip or shorten thumb...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
This happened to me when I swapped the SS from my 34 to my 19. Shooter induced slide lock. If I shot Iso it happened frequently, if Weaver not. Shooter induced SS activation would be my guess due to the reduced grip size and surface area combined with normal to large hands.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Factory Speer Gold Dot 90 grain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#28]
If you keep posting shooter induced slide lock, you don't know what you are talking about.  Please stop posting in the thread.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Another 20 rds of Win PDX1 & another 100 rds of Win FMJ, also added 100 rds of PPU FMJ, and 25 rds of Hornady Critical Defense today, zero issues.

So that's 300 rds of FMJ, 40 rds of PDX1, and 25 rds of Hornady, straight out of the box w/o a cleaning. I'm confident enough in the gun.

Here are a few pics from the range today. I'm no marksman, the gun can easily shoot better than I can. These are actually the first rounds I've gotten to fire out of it, out of the first 120 my wife only let me shoot 4, she didn't want to share.

First 50 rds of PPU @ 7 yards, the first shots are to the low left, I did better after I adjusted my grip. The gun is really thin and takes a second to get used to vs. my G19. I will also state for the record that I really dislike Glocks factory sights. I'll take anything in the 9 ring or better.

2 mags (12 rds) of Hornady Critical Defense @ 50 feet, max indoor range, again anything in the 9 ring or better is ok by me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you keep posting shooter induced slide lock, you don't know what you are talking about.  Please stop posting in the thread.  

View Quote

Maybe so..Maybe so....Well if it ain't the shooter..then maybe it's the gun..or the ammo...nah..gotta be the gun.  Could be that since this model Glock has been in production for like a month..they ain't quite got the deal figured out yet huh?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[Maybe so..Maybe so....Well if it ain't the shooter..then maybe it's the gun..or the ammo...nah..gotta be the gun.  Could be that since this model Glock has been in production for like a month..they ain't quite got the deal figured out yet huh?
View Quote

Someone should start a thread about which ammo causes the G42 to suffer premature slide lock. It would be good info for new G42 owners to have when buying ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine cycled all premium factory ammo w/o a glitch!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Full Glock 42 review and 100-yard range test by Miculek     http://www.guns.com/2014/01/28/full-glock-42-review-100-yard-range-test-miculek-video/
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Full Glock 42 review and 100-yard range test by Miculek     http://www.guns.com/2014/01/28/full-glock-42-review-100-yard-range-test-miculek-video/
View Quote

His had all kinds of problems including with PDX1 ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#36]
So, after 1-1/2 pages, we have:

1 using Speer Gold Dot 90gr hollowpoints

1 using PPU 94gr FMJ

and the Hickok45 and Jerry Miculek internet videos (1 using Buffalo Bore 90gr hollowpoints, 1 using Magtech 95gr hollowpoints, 1 using Winchester PDX 95gr hollowpoonts).

To put it another way:

Buffalo Bore 90gr hollowpoint: 1

Magtech 95 gr hollowpoint: 1

PPU 94gr FMJ: 1

Speer Gold Dot 90gr hollowpoint: 1

Winchester PDX 95gr hollowpoint: 1
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, after 1-1/2 pages, we have:

1 using Speer Gold Dot 90gr hollowpoints

1 using PPU 94gr FMJ

and the Hickok45 and Jerry Miculek internet videos (1 using Buffalo Bore 90gr hollowpoints, 1 using Magtech 95gr hollowpoints, 1 using Winchester PDX 95gr hollowpoonts).

To put it another way:

Buffalo Bore 90gr hollowpoint: 1

Magtech 95 gr hollowpoint: 1

PPU 94gr FMJ: 1

Speer Gold Dot 90gr hollowpoint: 1

Winchester PDX 95gr hollowpoint: 1
View Quote

Or to put it another way, 3 guys on the interwebs. Seriously though, how many of these do you think where sold since release? If this where really an issue don't you think it would have blown up by now? Just throwing that out there. I've shot 100 rounds of PPU & 40 rounds of PDX1 thru ours (2 boxs of ea.) with no issues.

ETA: I did watch Jerry's video, and didn't see anything that worried me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or to put it another way, 3 guys on the interwebs. Seriously though, how many of these do you think where sold since release? If this where really an issue don't you think it would have blown up by now? Just throwing that out there. I've shot 100 rounds of PPU & 40 rounds of PDX1 thru ours (2 boxs of ea.) with no issues.

View Quote

Actually, four guys (two guys in this thread, Hickok45, and Jerry Miculek), but I think that you and I are pretty much in agreement in that I'm not so sure that there really is any statistically-significant issue.  Time will tell, I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes watch his video.  If we can trust anyone that knows how to shoot, it is Jerry.  He had hell with his G42.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What ammo did you use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo did you use?

I used hydra shock , critical defense and blaser hardball with no problem, and this was a brand new break in.  It is a dream to shoot...

I had some old RCBD (the wonder ammo I am still wondering about) which it didn't like but my 23 didn't like their 40 stuff either.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having to slap the rear of the slide to get the gun to go into battery isnt a concern for a CCW gun?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Having to slap the rear of the slide to get the gun to go into battery isnt a concern for a CCW gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me rephrase that for you; I did watch Jerry's video, and didn't see anything that worried me with my G42. I haven't had that issue with the first 365 rounds fired, and I used some of the same ammo. Mine was also taken straight from the box to the range, and fired said rounds without so much as a cleaning. So no, with my G42, the issues that Jerry had with his G42 don't worry me in the least. Let me add that I'm a big fan of Jerry's, and I think he did a fair review. What I was really watching for where the slide lock/release related issues that started this thread, of which he had none.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, that is usually caused by the ammo, not the gun.  Or if it is the gun, it is because it is extremely dirty.  Any gun can have a malfunction every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have the "reverse" happen?

The slide NOT staying back after the last round has been fired?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Several times to me, but I think it was because my thumb was on the slide stop lever. My "thumbs forward" grip makes my thumb naturally hit the slide stop lever on the 42, have to slightly adjust the grip to not hit it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Several times to me, but I think it was because my thumb was on the slide stop lever. My "thumbs forward" grip makes my thumb naturally hit the slide stop lever on the 42, have to slightly adjust the grip to not hit it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well shoot.

Looks like more range time is needed. :-)
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Shot a little more than 150 rounds of Speer Lawman and Hornady Critical Defense this morning. The first hundred there were lots of extraction problems. After that it ran with zero problems. It's crazy accurate and no recoil. I'll put another hundred or so through it Monday and then call it good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shoot.

Definitely is, but I have to find some .380 first. I have exactly 19 rounds of Critical Defense left, and that's it for .380. At least the two magazines are full

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Took the G42 to the range last night.

Fired 250 rounds of assorted ball/flat point ammo.  Couple of failure to feeds, and a couple of times I rode the slide stop which prevented the slide from locking back on the last round.  None of the F2F were induced by using the slide stop to release the slide, as that is not it's function or nomenclature.

Gun is very soft shooting, I had three other experienced shooter run it, everyone agreed that it was a very nice/easy firearm to shoot.  Accuracy is spot on, but it took a few mags to get my grip and trigger pull adjusted to the smaller Glock.  I also had a Colt Pony and Sig P238 at my disposal, and of the three the Glock would get the nod for sure.  I could fairly easily keep a 5 shot rapid fire group in a 6" shoot-n-c!

Sights.... typical Glock...... which I hate, so they will be replaced once we have a few options to choose from (HD's would be preferred).  Trigger felt heavier than stock Glocks, not sure if it's 9lbs as Jerry described.... but if you like Glock triggers, or are accustomed to them, you'll feel at home.

**Disclaimer.....sorry for the photo quality**
5 shot group @25' freestyle!

Next steps:

1.Clean
2.Load magazines to capacity and let sit till next range visit.
3.Locate/purchase some defensive ammo.
4.Return to the range.
5.Fire 200+ rounds!

~g
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Not having to worry about shooter induced slide stop seems like the only pro for being left handed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top