BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... the slide stop to release the slide, as that is not it's function or nomenclature.

~g
View Quote

I love when people try to be technical and slip this in.  On most guns, the slide stop is also a slide release by extension.  It just is, accept it.  Even the Glock manual states you can load the gun by inserting the magazine and either pulling back on the slide, or by depressing the slide release lever.

Saying a slide stop's function is not to be a slide release, is like saying tires are meant to roll your vehicle forward but not backward.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I stand correct!

I still think it's a poor way to release the slide, and I've seen feed issue with other weapons as well as Glocks..... I've seen people that don't have the dexterity to actually use a slide stop... to release the slide, so it makes it a poor choice in my opinion.... and it's just that!

Luckily I've never seen a Glock slide stop spring break either.....

~g
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I stand correct!

I still think it's a poor way to release the slide, and I've seen feed issue with other weapons as well as Glocks..... I've seen people that don't have the dexterity to actually use a slide stop... to release the slide, so it makes it a poor choice in my opinion.... and it's just that!

Luckily I've never seen a Glock slide stop spring break either.....

~g
View Quote

You have to account for the particular firearm and your state of mind.  I have had firearms where I could not normally depress the slide release with the slide locked back, but do it thoughtlessly when reloading while actually shooting and not thinking about it.  Also, the PM9, and maybe other Kahrs, recommend you use the slide release when loading.  If you don't use it, the round will get caught up on the feed ramp.  That is why I will never buy a Kahr again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
^interesting, as most slides can be pulled back an 1/8" or so beyond the slide stop position, you'd think that if anything the extra distance would assist with stripping the round from the magazine and properly chambering said round.

I work at a range, and never recommend customer us the slide lock/stop.  Most people have watched too much TV and often chamber a round with the weapon pointed at the ceiling, again.... a very bad habit.

Have I ever used a slide stop to chamber a round (on a Glock even), yes..... but only for competition purposes.... as time is everything.  I believe the average shooter would have an easier time grasping the slide to release it on a loaded magazine, than trying to release it with a thumb/slide stop lever (especially lefties).

~g
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not having to worry about shooter induced slide stop seems like the only pro for being left handed.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The first hundred there were lots of extraction problems. .
View Quote

What nature of "extraction problems"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first hundred there were lots of extraction problems. .

Empty cases not extracted from the chamber. There were stovepipes and failures to feed also. Rgardless the kinks worked out after the first two boxes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The manual may say that you can use the lever as a release but that is not how Glock teaches its use.  Well, that is not how the first Glock armorers class I took and each recert class was taught.  That goes to include the NC Justice Academy.

Yes I have used it and I have seen it used and the pistol would operate as intended and also jam.  I will keep coming over the slide.

I agree with the guy on the Kahr in regards to the lever.  I had a PM9.  It was a POS.  Fellow officers have the same model and they have had no problems with theirs.  To me I would not want to re-train my method of loading or reloading.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The manual may say that you can use the lever as a release but that is not how Glock teaches its use.  Well, that is not how the first Glock armorers class I took and each recert class was taught.  That goes to include the NC Justice Academy.

Yes I have used it and I have seen it used and the pistol would operate as intended and also jam.  I will keep coming over the slide.

I agree with the guy on the Kahr in regards to the lever.  I had a PM9.  It was a POS.  Fellow officers have the same model and they have had no problems with theirs.  To me I would not want to re-train my method of loading or reloading.
View Quote

It was also covered in my armorers course, but he is correct.... it does say it the manual..... including the G42's manual.  I don't teach people it, as I firmly believe it is a horrible technique.... YMMV!

~g
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran a box of RWS fmj flat point through mine this morning.  No failures whatsoever.  The gun is incredibly soft shooting and very accurate.  I was hitting the 4" gong at 25 yards about one in three shots.  I'm looking forward to shooting the gun on paper and seeing what it will do.  We had a 1/2" of ice last night and this morning and I didn't want to walk down to the backstop.  Picked it up at the LGS this morning and I just had to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, did I miss something?  The only problems I saw that Hickock had were with Buffalo Bore.  That doesn't seem to be an indictment of the gun's reliability.  Granted, I had kids continually interrupting me, but it seemed there were no other problems with any of the other loads he was shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My issues appear to be ammo related, plan on purchasing a few more boxes this week, I'd like to crono.

Ran a couple of hundred rounds thru it, also had probably 10 different people try, no issue since switching ammo.

~g
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shot a little more than 150 rounds of Speer Lawman and Hornady Critical Defense this morning. The first hundred there were lots of extraction problems. After that it ran with zero problems. It's crazy accurate and no recoil. I'll put another hundred or so through it Monday and then call it good.
View Quote

Put almost 200 through it yesterday with no problems.  I guess it needed some kind of break in or I was holding it too loosely.  Either way it's good to go.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had two range sessions with the 42 now and run about 400 rounds thru it. 100 of which where Speer LE Gold Dot 90gr JHP. Hers what I posted on another forum about it. I really do seem to think the Gold Dots might just barely be catching the slide stop lever. For me it always seems to happen after the first shot with 5 remaining in the mag. Both mags...

Well I got back out to the range today.

Shot:

50rds Fiocchi 95gr FMJ

50rds PMC 95gr FMJ

50rds Independence 95gr FMJ

25rds Hornady CD 90gr JHP

50rds Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHP

The FMJs were almost flawless had one FTF followed by another, but the 2nd may have been operator induced. The Hornady went down range without issue as well. This brings me back to the Speer GD rounds. First mag was fine and then I started having the issue with it shooting the first round and then locking the slide back with 5 still in the mag. Happened 5-6 times and then the last two mags went thru with no issue. I tried both mags and the issue happened on both. After getting home, I did a field strip, clean and lube and everything looked ok. I looked at numerous things and one thing that stood out is that the slide stop lever tab protrudes into the mag deeper and has a different shape than both my 26/19 and 23. On those three the rear edge is angled and on the 42 it's not. It's a 90* angle. So I got to wondering if somehow the nose of the bullet could be just barely catching the edge of the lever and flipping it up. If you notice on loading, the bullets stagger slightly. Evens to the right and odds to the left. As I am out of Gold Dots, I did some testing with what I had. Pushing down on the 5th bullet with a Hornady CD was barely able to touch the lever. Of course the CD round is much narrower than the Gold Dot. I'm beginning to think that as the slide cycles back after that first shot, the next bullet is pushed down as the slide passes over, it shifts left slightly, and just catches the edge of the lever. This is just enough to flip it up and lock the slide. There does appear to be some evidence of contact on the edge of the lever. I've called and left a message with Glock and will see what they say. I'm thinking that beveling the edge might cure it. Let you know.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This brings me back to the Speer GD rounds. First mag was fine and then I started having the issue with it shooting the first round and then locking the slide back with 5 still in the mag. Happened 5-6 times and then the last two mags went thru with no issue. I tried both mags and the issue happened on both.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes please give us an update from glock as I have had the same problem
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Sent the 42 in to Glock today. They'll get it tomorrow. Hopefully know more early next week.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here's a quick video I took of my wife shooting the first mag of PDX1. This was after 100 rounds of Win FMJ. Straight out of the box, right to the range. Gave it a quick once over before shooting to make sure everything looked right, then off she went.

http://youtu.be/QnrJ2eKHPZo

View Quote
Very little recoil.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I snagged a 42 yesterday and grabbed some Buffalo Bore so we'll see if I encounter any issues.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay, did I miss something?  The only problems I saw that Hickock had were with Buffalo Bore.  That doesn't seem to be an indictment of the gun's reliability.  Granted, I had kids continually interrupting me, but it seemed there were no other problems with any of the other loads he was shooting.
View Quote
exactly what I was thinking....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top