Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 62
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The way that the one guy stomped on the mag while it was in the dirt was brutal,I was surprised it ran at all. I had been on the fence about these but this pushed me over the edge,I ordered the 5 pack and a mag release tonight. On a separate note,there are 10 factory ten rounders for $75.00 on a local gun board FO or no Fo.
View Quote

I would buy them on principle alone. You'll never find them that cheap again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way that the one guy stomped on the mag while it was in the dirt was brutal,I was surprised it ran at all. I had been on the fence about these but this pushed me over the edge,I ordered the 5 pack and a mag release tonight. On a separate note,there are 10 factory ten rounders for $75.00 on a local gun board FO or no Fo.

Yeah!  No kidding!  Used or not, that’s a great price! I’d jump in it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The 43x and G48 are the same frame.

I like sticking the G48 slide on my G43, but I am waiting for the Z9 mags.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Just one more data point for the thread as I've started experiencing a fail to feed issue with the S15 mags in my 48.  

I bought the first one almost a year ago (a gen 2) and used with the stock plastic magazine catch.  I ran a couple hundred rounds through the magazine, had zero malfunctions, so decided to buy a second and upgrade the magazine catch to the steel one from Shield.

Headed to the range to test the second mag and get some rounds through it before carrying it.  I'm now having a fail to feed with both the new mag and the original one I bought.  The issue occurs maybe two or three times per magazine.  The loaded mags seat fine and slide closes with mag release.  Out of 15 rounds, a few will have the FTF where the fired casing ejects normally but the slide hangs up trying to the load the next round.  It closes maybe halfway and has partially stripped the next round from the magazine where it jams up.  Tapping the baseplate fixes the issue instantly and the slide closes.  All it takes is a light tap to resolve the jam.

At the moment the only thing I can figure is tolerance stacking with the new magazine catch, maybe?  The first mag ran fine on the stock one.  Now both magazines exhibit the issue.  

Really disappointed as I've been a huge fan of these.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing I discovered yesterday, the Gen 2 baseplates are considerably thicker than the Gen 1s.  All of my mags, Gen 1 & 2, have the Gen 1 base plates on them.  I'm wondering if the Gen 2 baseplates are contributing to some of the issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One thing I discovered yesterday, the Gen 2 baseplates are considerably thicker than the Gen 1s.  All of my mags, Gen 1 & 2, have the Gen 1 base plates on them.  I'm wondering if the Gen 2 baseplates are contributing to some of the issues.
View Quote

I switched mine to the aluminum +0 baseplates and have had 0 issues, but I had 0 issues before........
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Will Shield send you a new Gen2 if you send in an older Gen1?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will Shield send you a new Gen2 if you send in an older Gen1?
View Quote

Yes....they no longer produce the gen 1
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn

To say I’m stubborn is an understatement. I thought I’d give the SA15s another chance with some ammo I loaded for my CZ.   My CZ likes a shorter OAL round.  I thought I’d try them in the SA magazines. I had great success!  

Until I started to run the November drill ( https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/--Official-ARFCOM-Monthly-Pistol-Drill-Challenge-Thread--/5-2573815/

https://rumble.com/v1sbfrs-november-v-ii.1.html

I’ve ordered some different profile FMJs, just to see if it will make a difference.

FMJs..can’t get them to run on FMJs…..

I’m envious of you guys that the SAs work for.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn

To say I’m stubborn is an understatement. I thought I’d give the SA15s another chance with some ammo I loaded for my CZ.   My CZ likes a shorter OAL round.  I thought I’d try them in the SA magazines. I had great success!  

Until I started to run the November drill ( https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/--Official-ARFCOM-Monthly-Pistol-Drill-Challenge-Thread--/5-2573815/

I’m envious of you guys that the SAs work for.
View Quote

I'll give you credit, you are persistent. I would've switched back to OEM a long time ago if I would've had those issues. Thanks for the honesty though. It's refreshing these days. I like my S15 mags, they run great in my gun. I still switch back to OEM from time to time.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll give you credit, you are persistent. I would've switched back to OEM a long time ago if I would've had those issues. Thanks for the honesty though. It's refreshing these days. I like my S15 mags, they run great in my gun. I still switch back to OEM from time to time.  
View Quote

It’s very frustrating for me. I’ll do drills for a few weeks and things will go good. Then I’ll run into problems like in the video. It’s always the slide riding over the rim of the cartridge or some variation where the breach face stops about mid cartridge. I still believe it has something to do with the magazines sitting too far to the rear of the magazine well.

I got a few thousand of a different  FMJ profile bullets to try - I NEVER had any luck with my powder coated truncated cone bullets in the SA15s. The factory magazines gobble them up. Granted, I shoot 200-300 rounds a week, so I’ll probably see more problems. I have my one 43X running factory mags. No problems with any of my ammo.

I only started buying FMJs to use in my SA magazines. Otherwise. I use my own cast / powder coated bullets in everything else.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad news fellas.....

Sandstorm Precision is out of business.  Does anyone else have a line on a beavertail grip like they made?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Today I tested my G43x/Shield combo by emptying all three mags that I keep fully loaded with the gun (and that had been loaded for a few months).  Ammo is Winchester 124 grain +P JHP Defender.  Mags are Gen 1 with G19 springs which I added after I experienced one failure to lock the slide back.  That has been the only failure after hundreds of rounds and the new springs solved that.  Today, all mags worked perfectly again so I'll keep this system as is for a while longer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have an IWB or in the pocket mag holders that work well with these mags?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Henny, I was having the same type of stoppage.  I polished the feed ramp, and chamber of the barrel, and I stopped using the slide stop lever to close the slide on a reload.  I run the slide by hand to close it on a slide lock reload, and the problem went away.  Just my experience, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn’t work out for me. Hope they work for others.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anything that works with g48 and has tension adjustment.

I've used tulster knockoffs from Amazon, 2 for $18, for a couple years, they work fine.
View Quote

Thanks, just went ahead and ordered the Tulster that should work for what I need.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Henny, I was having the same type of stoppage.  I polished the feed ramp, and chamber of the barrel, and I stopped using the slide stop lever to close the slide on a reload.  I run the slide by hand to close it on a slide lock reload, and the problem went away.  Just my experience, YMMV.
View Quote

I think for me, and my guns the SA magazine is too far back in the magazine well.

Glock. Magazine:

Attachment Attached File

SA Magazine:

Attachment Attached File

I believe this may be responsible for the ride over stoppage  after a reload using the slide stop.  

It’s odd, my entire career I used to rack the slide when reloading.  After I retired, and got more into gun games I started to use the slide release due to time.  Believe me, my reload is slow enough as it it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there an illustration showing the difference between a Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 SA magazine? I stopped using mine awhile ago due to intermittent failures and wanted to see if maybe they are Gen. 1's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is there an illustration showing the difference between a Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 SA magazine? I stopped using mine awhile ago due to intermittent failures and wanted to see if maybe they are Gen. 1's.
View Quote

The gen 2s have gray followers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gen 1s don't have ambi mag catch notches and an orange follower.  Gen 2 have ambi notches and gray follower.  There are other minor differences, but those two are the easiest tell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think for me, and my guns the SA magazine is too far back in the magazine well.

Glock. Magazine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/C169B9D4-4014-43E2-B47D-2E9C7E9C63F5_jpe-2654700.JPG

SA Magazine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/8AC21EC9-8309-414E-967A-1ACB44DAF6E7_jpe-2654701.JPG

I believe this may be responsible for the ride over stoppage  after a reload using the slide stop.  

It’s odd, my entire career I used to rack the slide when reloading.  After I retired, and got more into gun games I started to use the slide release due to time.  Believe me, my reload is slow enough as it it!
View Quote

Yep, that’s what I believe caused my issues with the mag.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock. Magazine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/C169B9D4-4014-43E2-B47D-2E9C7E9C63F5_jpe-2654700.JPG

SA Magazine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/8AC21EC9-8309-414E-967A-1ACB44DAF6E7_jpe-2654701.JPG

Is it possible to shim the magwell to move the mag forward just for testing purposes?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is it possible to shim the magwell to move the mag forward just for testing purposes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock. Magazine:

SA Magazine:

I had thought about welding a blob on the upper part of the rear of a magazine, but then I thought, “Why? I’m not going  to trust these things to carry them…”

Maybe I’ll still do it? All but my one 43X are back to stock.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had thought about welding a blob on the upper part of the rear of a magazine, but then I thought, “Why? I’m not going  to trust these things to carry them…”

Maybe I’ll still do it? All but my one 43X are back to stock.  
View Quote

I’d also considered modifying mags or the gun to make them work.
Decided I wasn’t going to waste more time/money/ammo on something that was a poor design to start with.
Dumped the mags and the guns.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone have an IWB or in the pocket mag holders that work well with these mags?
View Quote

https://ammo-armor.com/glock/glock-48/

https://ammo-armor.com/copy-of-glock-43x-ammo-armor-1/
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Reading all these negative experiences with SA mags makes me not want to trust mine.
That being said, I keep trying to make mine fail and they keep chugging along. Never had an issue with mine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Reading all these negative experiences with SA mags makes me not want to trust mine.
That being said, I keep trying to make mine fail and they keep chugging along. Never had an issue with mine.
View Quote

Only issues Ive had were with the +5's added on
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Posters that have never had problems with their SAs, could you post a picture like I did above? Showing the clearance between the case rim and your breech face?

I’m just curious if there’s a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Posters that have never had problems with their SAs, could you post a picture like I did above? Showing the clearance between the case rim and your breech face?

I’m just curious if there’s a noticeable difference.
View Quote

Edit:

Looked back to your photos, mine is definitely more like your factory magazine photo.

Maybe the Shield Arms mags have too loose of a tolerance on the front rib, causing the mags to push back against the rear of the magwell
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20230101_225836-2657422.jpg

Edit:

Looked back to your photos, mine is definitely more like your factory magazine photo.

Maybe the Shield Arms mags have too loose of a tolerance on the front rib, causing the mags to push back against the rear of the magwell
View Quote

Yeah, something is definitely different…
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The gen 2s have gray followers.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Turns out the ones I'm having issues with are the Gen 2. I think I had SA swap them out for Gen 1's awhile back. If I'm not mistaken they also sent +10% springs.

Given my intermittent issues I don't feel comfortable carrying with these. That's unfortunate because I really like the 43X platform.

I've  gone back to carrying my G19 and when need to go small, carry a Sig P365XL. I'll likely sell my 43 and 43X soon as they don't get any love. Sucks these mags didn't work out for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Turns out the ones I'm having issues with are the Gen 2. I think I had SA swap them out for Gen 1's awhile back. If I'm not mistaken they also sent +10% springs.

Given my intermittent issues I don't feel comfortable carrying with these. That's unfortunate because I really like the 43X platform.

I've  gone back to carrying my G19 and when need to go small, carry a Sig P365XL. I'll likely sell my 43 and 43X soon as they don't get any love. Sucks these mags didn't work out for me.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that but definitely not surprised. I had the same problems with the SA mags. After testing a dozen of both generations and swapping springs, mag releases, etc. I found that they cannot be trusted to function in a defensive carry gun. I just use my 10 round OEM mags in my 43x and 48. I’d rather have 11 guaranteed rounds vs. 16 maybe rounds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't experienced a malfunction in the last several thousand rounds, but I am retiring the G48 and moving to the P365 Macro.  I just can't get the question mark outta my head.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
@Henny

Gen 1

Gen 2
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#39]

My Gen 2 looks like your Gen 2 photos as well.  All my Gen 2 haven’t been anything but reliable in my 48
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Thanks @November5.

Your guys look just like mine.  I had problems with the Gen 1s in 4 different guns too.

I’m at a loss….

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks @November5.

Your guys look just like mine.  I had problems with the Gen 1s in 4 different guns too.

I'm at a loss .

View Quote
My Gen 1s, which I use the most, have a significant gap between the base of the round and the breechface at slide lock.  The Gen 2s have a much more pronounced rib on the front and virtually no gap.  I haven't had any issues with the Gen 2s, but I haven't used them as much either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
So far I've tried 3 different frames (2×43x and a 48mos) and 3 different slides (43, 43x, and 48mos), and all possible combinations of each. I've got 1 frame with the metal mag catch installed in that has been the best performer but I got a ftf yesterday after about 250 rounds with that and a G43 slide. I think I'm about done experimenting. Too bad. Maybe I'll see if sheild had any suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So far I've tried 3 different frames (2×43x and a 48mos) and 3 different slides (43, 43x, and 48mos), and all possible combinations of each. I've got 1 frame with the metal mag catch installed in that has been the best performer but I got a ftf yesterday after about 250 rounds with that and a G43 slide. I think I'm about done experimenting. Too bad. Maybe I'll see if sheild had any suggestions.
View Quote

My experience with SA’s customer support was varied. Very helpful, replaced all my magazines. When I still had failures to feed from slide lock they told me the 4 guns ( 2 43Xs, 2 48s) were all out of normal specifications, their magazines should work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Shield is releasing a gen 3 s15. Also a 10 round mag if you cut your grip down.

Did say they are changing manufactures as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did they detail the differences between gen 2 and gen 3?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would you cut your grip down? If you only want 10 rounds, use the factory mags?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why would you cut your grip down? If you only want 10 rounds, use the factory mags?
View Quote
So that you can have what is effectively a G43 with 10rds instead of 6.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder if their new manufacturer is PSA?

They just showed off their 43X version of the DAGR with 15 round mags...

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pics I saw of the Gen 3 S15 look like an S15.  This is the PSA mag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348220/MicroDaggerMagazine_png-2677791.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348220/MicroDaggerMagazine_png-2677791.JPG
Just saw that.  Interesting as PSA supposedly will also offered a chopped down 10 rounder

Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top