Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:32:58 PM EDT
Hey guys, I usually carry a G26, but I just got my mom a Ruger LCR for mothers day/Christmas and since it isn't quite mothers day yet, I tried carrying it today and I loved it.  It is soooooo much lighter.  I have considered an LCR or J-frame, but I would really like a 9mm pistol because I have several 9mms and I load for 9mm.  So, now I am looking for a lightweight 9mm pistol to carry and reliability is a must.  What do you suggest?
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Kahr PM9
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Sig p290, not super light I guess, but its tight with the 6 round mag, and its my favorite ccw, I own 3 of them,,,
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

i have one of these, so far its been perfect
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

i have one of these, so far its been perfect

+1
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you like the LCR, then look at the LC9. I have one (2 actually) and they are light, and good shooters.

If you are thinking full frame??? Maybe a glock compact or Springfield. My son got a Springfield XP9 I believe?? It is a really, really nice pistol. And LIGHT for a full frame.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kahr PM9s are good, but not the best value (though cost Ideally shouldn't be an issue for a carry gun).  They can be really tight and have a few break-in FTFs and stuff (mine had a fail to reset issue), but after that was fixed, I sent it to Cylinder & Slide for their reliability package.  I regret selling it.  But after torture testing two PF-9s from Keltec, I sold one and the Kahr, since the PF9 was lighter and fit in my pocket better.  I trust MY PF-9, but only for 3-4K rds and I'd only buy one from someone like GoldenLoki online (who will do a reliability job, cerakoat, and knows what to look and test for function-wise).  I do miss my PM9 and the P9 I sold to get it.

The ruger LC9 seems to get good reviews.  And so far the Shield seems GTG, but only more time will tell if it holds up (though some guys already have over 2K through them without a hiccup).
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My PM9 has never missed a shot. Bought it used for $350. Had it for several years now.
Dave N
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
My PM9 has run very well so far with approximately 300 rounds thru it.  It's a dream to carry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I usually carry a G26, but I just got my mom a Ruger LCR for mothers day/Christmas and since it isn't quite mothers day yet, I tried carrying it today and I loved it.  It is soooooo much lighter.  I have considered an LCR or J-frame, but I would really like a 9mm pistol because I have several 9mms and I load for 9mm.  So, now I am looking for a lightweight 9mm pistol to carry and reliability is a must.  What do you suggest?

You already have a fine Back Up Pistol the G26 !

I would look into a G19 or G17!

G19/17service pistol to carry IWB and the G26 to back it up

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Kahr CM9 in my pocket right now.  I forgot it was there until I read this thread
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I would take a serious look at the new M&P Shield. It is a very nice subcompact, it is very thin yet very easy to shoot well. I'm a Glock shooter but have no reservations about recommending the Shield. I haven't had a single malfunction and have run the gun hard. It is very accurate, small, lightweight, has a good trigger, great ergo's, serviceable sights out of the box and offers 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm. Pistol has a lot going for it.

I also think it would make an excellent pistol for a female shooter.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote for the Kahr CM9
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#13]

My CM9's been flawless through about 1k.   Great little gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Walther 9mm P99C - weight without magazine = 18.7 oz.
An excellent pistol that is very light indeed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My PM9 has never missed a shot. Bought it used for $350. Had it for several years now.
Dave N

Another +1 for the PM9. I bought mine used-like-new (no scratches on the barrel hood) with night sights for $360.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

He asked for a reliable gun.

OP. the answer is G26.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#17]
A Kahr CM9/PM9, Kel Tec (If you get a good one), or a Ruger LC9 seem to be the lightest good 9mms on the market.  I really enjoy my CM9.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Beretta Nano

The PF9 is thinner, but I prefer the quality of a Beretta

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]
My PF9 has been reliable (after a trip back to Kel Tec ) and is super light weight.  Very interested in the Shield, though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#20]
The PF-9 beats the nano in capacity even though the nano is bulkier....also, the PF-9 has a lower bore-axis, which is great on these little 9mm's.
For me 7 rounds barely justifies an auto over a revolver; but 8 makes it more palatable.

I agree Beretta's name/reputation is better, but I torture tested 2 pf9s and neither missed a beat (though the new 8rd mag was a flop for me––causing feeding issues).  With the new metal trigger from north woods, the pull feels more like a Kahr.

1. Lightest, cheapest:  PF-9...with the LC9 as perhaps a more confidence inspiring alternative (though pricier and bulkier).
2. Good value but is so tight I had to put 200rds breaking it in (and more than normal of my carry load= extra $100):  CM-9 (mine was a PM9)
3. Great value, seem super-reliable, but heavy and still new:  S&W MP Shield.
4. A good compromise on reliability, weight and size (but a bit bulky and odd ergs for me):  Beretta Nano

The PPS is too long and pricey, but evidently it's great (other options are too pricey and/or too ammo sensitive for me).

NOTE:  I just sold my PF9 to jump on the Shield bandwagon.  So far, so good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Had great luck with Kahr PM9, CW9, and my current CM9.
No complaints with any of these.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

OP. the answer is G26.

The ironic thing is that the average Kahr is probably more reliable than a NEW Glock.

Yes, I speak from personal experience
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

OP. the answer is G26.

The ironic thing is that the average Kahr is probably more reliable than a NEW Glock.

So am I.  Kahr is a finnicky mess.  Takes semi-auto reliability back about 40 years.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kahr PM9

OP. the answer is G26.

So am I.  Kahr is a finnicky mess.  Takes semi-auto reliability back about 40 years.

Meh, my CM9 has been flawless.  I really want a G26, but no way am I buying a new one.  I'm trying to track down a pre 2010 model.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Kahr may have worked out their bugs, but for a long time the Kahr forums were full of issues, mainly with the PM9 (the P9 seemed to be a better bet based on general wisdom, but a lot of people thouht all the polymers had issues, but sung the praises of the metal ones).  I had a PM9 that often wouldn't reset the trigger––the mothership found a burr and fixed it.  After that it was 100%––I probably spent $150 in ammo just gaining confidence in it (and sent it to Cylinder & Slide).

That was many years ago, but I hear they are still super tight:  so tight you can't cycle the first round by hand (have to use the mag release) for the first 400-600rds.  YMMV.

I've owned 4 gen3 Glocks and never had a hiccup...couldn't even induce one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Beretta Nano

The PF9 is thinner, but I prefer the quality of a Beretta

I'm sorry, but I prefer the quality of the G26 over the Nano and they are virtually the same size.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kahr may have worked out their bugs, but for a long time the Kahr forums were full of issues, mainly with the PM9 (the P9 seemed to be a better bet based on general wisdom, but a lot of people thouht all the polymers had issues, but sung the praises of the metal ones).  I had a PM9 that often wouldn't reset the trigger––the mothership found a burr and fixed it.  After that it was 100%––I probably spent $150 in ammo just gaining confidence in it (and sent it to Cylinder & Slide).

That was many years ago, but I hear they are still super tight:  so tight you can't cycle the first round by hand (have to use the mag release) for the first 400-600rds.  YMMV.

I've owned 4 gen3 Glocks and never had a hiccup...couldn't even induce one.

I hand cycled ammo with my CM9 first range trip no problems.  It would even cycle gold dots and win ranger sxt's without uing the slide release.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
1) I had no idea the nano was as wide as the brick, er, glock 26.  I had a g26, but like a lot of people, realized it wasn't small enough to justify owning it over (and) a g19.

2) I hadn't heard that Kahr's were hand-cycling out of the box...that's great if your the rule and not the exception.  I wonder if they loosened them up some––mine was super tight.  Not that using the mag-release OR slingshotting the hell out of it ever bothered me.  Cordon powerball and some 147 +P  broke it in.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Diamondback DB9
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Diamondback DB9

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Glock 19

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#33]
For those who've handled both, is there a large enough size difference betweent a Glock 19 and a M&P Shield to justify buying the Shield?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diamondback DB9

+1

Mine broke after 150rd...

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#35]
My PM9's mags shed rounds in my pocket and in my belly band. The gun wasn't reliable for me anyway so I got rid of it. I'm in love with my Sheild now, and I don't miss the Kahr a bit. I'm glad I didn't get a keltec, I love my P3AT, but that false reset on the trigger isn't pleasant.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Reliable,  M&P shield.

How long have these been out again?

I understand this is a technical thread.  Maybe I just have a different definition of "reliability" than others.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My PM9's mags shed rounds in my pocket and in my belly band. The gun wasn't reliable for me anyway so I got rid of it. I'm in love with my Sheild now, and I don't miss the Kahr a bit. I'm glad I didn't get a keltec, I love my P3AT, but that false reset on the trigger isn't pleasant.

Kahr mags are one of their weak points.  FTF city!

It's designed like a 1911 mag, but with terribly weak and ineffective fead lips.  Spare mags are pretty much useless by design, as they are designed to only retain rounds if they are in the gun with the breech closed.  

Their solution over the phone was to bend the mag lips manually.  WTF this is a modern gun, not a 1952 Hi Standard Victory trying to use aftermarket mags.

BigEasy did they suggest you try to bend the lips?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kahr mags are one of their weak points.  FTF city!

It's designed like a 1911 mag, but with terribly weak and ineffective fead lips.  Spare mags are pretty much useless by design, as they are designed to only retain rounds if they are in the gun with the breech closed.  

Their solution over the phone was to bend the mag lips manually.  WTF this is a modern gun, not a 1952 Hi Standard Victory trying to use aftermarket mags.

BigEasy did they suggest you try to bend the lips?

I never talked to them about it. I had other issues with the gun and I just got rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would take a serious look at the new M&P Shield. It is a very nice subcompact, it is very thin yet very easy to shoot well. I'm a Glock shooter but have no reservations about recommending the Shield. I haven't had a single malfunction and have run the gun hard. It is very accurate, small, lightweight, has a good trigger, great ergo's, serviceable sights out of the box and offers 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm. Pistol has a lot going for it.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/66753fd7.jpg

Why did they have to put a thumb safety on that thing?
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/66753fd7.jpg

Easier to get legal in all states for introduction.   Iirc MA has some weird laws requiring manual safeties on handguns.  Same with LCI's and billboards.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I usually hate external safeties, but for pocket carry it will be nice to have.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#42]
M&P Shield.  cant believe how much I like shooting this pistol.  Great concealed carry and its a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
M&P Shield.  cant believe how much I like shooting this pistol.  Great concealed carry and its a shooter.

I don't understand most of you guys.  I asked for the lightest reliable 9mm pistol.  The Shield is as heavy as the G26 and M&P9C.  I am looking for a pistol to be really light like as light as a revolver but shoot 9mm because I dont want to get into another caliber.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand most of you guys.  I asked for the lightest reliable 9mm pistol.  The Shield is as heavy as the G26 and M&P9C.  I am looking for a pistol to be really light like as light as a revolver but shoot 9mm because I dont want to get into another caliber.

Why don't you try a derringer in 9mm with polymer grips then.

It will be more reliable than anything smaller than the shield.

Or you could go to the gun store and do your own research.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Ditto on the Shield. I sold my Kahr PM9 after I got it. I'm searching for SHield #2 right now, actually..

Low recoil for such a small pistol.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you try a derringer in 9mm with polymer grips then.

It will be more reliable than anything smaller than the shield.

Or you could go to the gun store and do your own research.

I actually didn't know 9mm Derringers existed, so thank you, I will check them out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#47]
CM9 or PM9. Don't fall into the same "I'm only going to shoot 20 rounds through it and decide if I like it" methodology that a lot of folks do. A good combat handgun typically needs 200-300 rounds to fully break in. I bought a CM9 for my wife, after 100 rounds it shot 100% all the way to 400. That is without cleaning, same range day. 0-400 no cleaning factory lube is my preferred way to break in a firearm that I trust my life to. I had a P40 back in the day that needed some work after break in still, after that was done, it shot thousands of rounds as reliably as my Glock, and smoothly. I'm not claiming Kahr has out of the box shooting reliability like a Glock, but size and weight wise, it is unbeatable if it's running good.

A friend has a PF9, and has had nothing but issues. He also falls into the "50 round" break in club, so it is unknown what the issue is. I remember seeing something about the extractor design being whacked, and very difficult to fix. Personally, I would go Kahr over Kel Tec any day, but that's me, based on my experiences.

By the way, for those that skimp on throwing a bunch of rounds down range when you get a new gun, would you take a boat trip 50 miles off shore in a boat you've never been in before? Of course not. That's the situation you'll be in with an untested unbroken in firearm when you need to use it. Hoping for the best. If you hope more, maybe you wouldn't need to carry the gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Walther PPS. Mags are too expensive though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your options are limited to the Diamondback, Kahr CM9/PM9, and Kel-tec PF9. All should come in less than 16 oz loaded.

Of those, the only viable option is the Kahr, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Kahr P9 or Walther PPS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top