Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 62
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well they don't fit a 43, so the options are 43X or 48, which are the identical frame, but for some manufacturing tolerances.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is crazy the variance in peoples experience with these.

My Gen2s have been great.

I wonder if theres a correlation between the reliability and frame type (43, 48, 43x, MOS etc)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ran through about 300 rounds with my 43X and S15 magazines (SA magazine release installed).

No malfunctions at all. Quite happy with the results.

Damn, I read stuff like this and I have to wonder why I can’t get them to run in my 3 guns.

It is crazy the variance in peoples experience with these.

My Gen2s have been great.

I wonder if theres a correlation between the reliability and frame type (43, 48, 43x, MOS etc)

I’ve tried them in 2 43Xs and 2 48s. ( I’ve since given the one 48 to my son). Since all my magazines were replaced by SA, I’ve only tried them in the 2 43Xs and my remaining 48.

When I get back home, I’m going to go back to slingshot reloading, just to see if I can get them to work. Believe me, I’ve given them a chance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well they don't fit a 43, so the options are 43X or 48, which are the identical frame, but for some manufacturing tolerances.....
View Quote

Oops yea youre right

Id be interested in the difference in 43x vs 48 and then add in the MOS models.

I know the 43x and 48 are "supposed" to be the same but clearly there are differences somewhere. Of course it could simply be random tolerances but I like to think there would be a trend if we really tried to break it down
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oops yea youre right

Id be interested in the difference in 43x vs 48 and then add in the MOS models.

I know the 43x and 48 are "supposed" to be the same but clearly there are differences somewhere. Of course it could simply be random tolerances but I like to think there would be a trend if we really tried to break it down
View Quote

Mine are 2, 43X MOS and 1, 48MOS and 1 regular. I still have the MOS.  My son has the iron sighted one. His eyes aren’t old yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an original silver slide 48, a 43X MOS, and a 48 MOS.  The only issue I had was the Gen 1s not locking the slide back after the last round.  I'm using the standard steel mag catch from Shield.  Never had a feeding related issue from any of them, never used OEM mags in any of them.  I've run 115gr, 124gr+p, 147gr subs, never any steel or aluminum cased.  On the Gen 1 mags I replaced the springs and followers with OEM G19 parts, that solved the slide lock issue.

Even though they've worked well for me, I do think they could have been designed a bit better to increase reliability in more guns.  I also would've never approached CheckMate to have them be my OEM.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I used my 43x w/ gen 2 15 rd and 20 round magazine in a week long pistol course last week. Round count was close to 1k and three other guys had nearly identical set ups.

Had a few fail to extract malfunctions when shooting one handed in really odd positions but otherwise, ran like a top. After re lubing an admittedly dry gun, I he makes stopped. No malfunctions from the other guys either.

I have 5 more 2 day classes scheduled within the next month so we’ll see how they hold up to another couple cases.

So far, I’m very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m wanting to try these. Purchased a mag and release but returned them before ever trying. Will likely give them another go.

Is there anything that can guarantee these will function perfectly?

Just bought a 19 and it made me remember how much better the 43x fits my hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Just installed one of the premium mag catches.

Definitely more mag engagement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just installed one of the premium mag catches.

Definitely more mag engagement.
View Quote

If you want to know how much more engagement put a factory 10rd in there by accident like I did . I had to disassemble the magazine and pinch it with pliers to get it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm confused by people that refuse to give the S15 a chance in their own guns based on a few peoples reports that it doesn't run right in their guns.  Meanwhile many of us are reporting that they run great.  So get yourself one or two, try them out.  If they don't work, sucks that you're one of the unlucky few.  If they do work, you just got a 50% boost in capacity.
View Quote
A 50% increase in capacity isn't worth an even 1% drop in reliability
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are people with a 0% change in reliability, FYI.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes - but statically speaking you have way less shield mags in the wild with a higher level of incidents vs oem mags, measured on a much shorter time frame. Metal lined G19/17 mags have been in circulation for what - 35 years?  With an impeccable track record.

Glocks have the most overbuilt and bomb proof mag design. No way I'd roll the dice in that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm confused by people that refuse to give the S15 a chance in their own guns based on a few peoples reports that it doesn't run right in their guns.  Meanwhile many of us are reporting that they run great.  So get yourself one or two, try them out.  If they don't work, sucks that you're one of the unlucky few.  If they do work, you just got a 50% boost in capacity.
Until you've tried it in your gun, you don't know that there will be any drop in reliability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes - but statically speaking you have way less shield mags in the wild with a higher level of incidents vs oem mags, measured on a much shorter time frame. Metal lined G19/17 mags have been in circulation for what - 35 years?  With an impeccable track record.

Glocks have the most overbuilt and bomb proof mag design. No way I'd roll the dice in that.
View Quote

This is the thing. I’ll contend that some of those who fired a mag and called it good would run into trouble if they ran the guns a bit harder.

At this point, it’s neither here nor there for me. I lost a good bit of time/money/ammo dicking around with these mags and their “customer service,” only to find the design is flawed from the get go and the marketing/adaptation were even worse. Lesson learned.

I can only hope to save some folks the frustration I’ve experienced.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thoroughly in the refuse based on other’s experiences for a long time.  Broke down and bought a few to try.  Glad I did.  Have been gtg in my G48.  10+ different Gen. 2’s with various 115/124 fmj and self defense ammo.  No issues.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is the thing. I’ll contend that some of those who fired a mag and called it good would run into trouble if they ran the guns a bit harder.

At this point, it’s neither here nor there for me. I lost a good bit of time/money/ammo dicking around with these mags and their “customer service,” only to find the design is flawed from the get go and the marketing/adaptation were even worse. Lesson learned.

I can only hope to save some folks the frustration I’ve experienced.
View Quote

Yep. The design is flawed and no way are they fit for use in a defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two shield arms mags. One stock and the other with a +5 extension. I have somewhere between 500 to 1000 rounds through the stock mag with no issues. The only issue I have had with the +5 mag is that it won't run if I fully load it with steel cased ammo. With brass cased ammo I have had zero malfunctions with that magazine as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to say honestly because many factory mags out there have seen only a handful of rounds from many shooters

A ton of people including myself, probably wouldnt have as many rounds through factory mags to verify they are g2g as we are putting through Shield mags. I have about 500rds through my #1 marked magazine and just started carrying the gun with it now. No way I would have put that many through a factory mag before carrying it

Edit: not to say my experience is reflective of everyones. People need to be 100% confident in an EDC weapon and trust it. If you cant get there with SA mags then I can understand that.

I see a lot of people modifying a lot of parts that I wouldnt trust in my personal carry gun but I dont discount their experience with the parts (how many shoot more than 100rds to test Idk)
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Another hundred or so rounds through mine today without a hiccup, with three shooters.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hard to say honestly because many factory mags out there have seen only a handful of rounds from many shooters

A ton of people including myself, probably wouldnt have as many rounds through factory mags to verify they are g2g as we are putting through Shield mags. I have about 500rds through my #1 marked magazine and just started carrying the gun with it now. No way I would have put that many through a factory mag before carrying it

Edit: not to say my experience is reflective of everyones. People need to be 100% confident in an EDC weapon and trust it. If you cant get there with SA mags then I can understand that.

I see a lot of people modifying a lot of parts that I wouldnt trust in my personal carry gun but I dont discount their experience with the parts (how many shoot more than 100rds to test Idk)
View Quote

Wow, it’s pretty rare to see anybody question the reliability of Glock factory mags.  My 43X factory mags, six of them, have seen over 2000 rounds between them. Everything from aluminum cases, brass cases ,and steel cases. Even some oddball rounds like leftover MagSafe loads from the 90s. Not a single hiccup from any of them.  Just one guy’s experience.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]

So I finally took the plunge, and have just finished my first range session with the new mags. I put a couple hundred rounds of 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo through it including 147 grain Winchester RA9T. I had zero malfunctions, they all functioned flawlessly. I am very pleased.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Are you guys who are having luck with these using the metal mag catch? Does it make a difference in reliability?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are you guys who are having luck with these using the metal mag catch? Does it make a difference in reliability?
View Quote

I installed the steel mag catch
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve used both catches with no difference in reliability but the shield mags will wear a notch into the plastic catch

Some say that the OEM mags can get stuck with the metal catch but that hasn’t been my experience.  They don’t drop free though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 43X that runs these mags 100%
I also have a 48 that chokes on the exact same mags with at least one failure to feed per magazine.

I entertained the idea that the catch was the problem and swapped them.
The results were that the 43X runs 100% regardless of which metal catch was installed and the 48 continues to choke.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think you capture the situation perfectly. Tolerance stacking is a thing. My 48 works just fine with them. I've never tried them in my 43x. I guess if I get ambitious some day, I could try mixing and matching slides / frames and see what happens.

As it stands, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying my 48 and three sa mags as a primary duty weapon.

My 43x is an off duty weapon and as such, I'm fine with oem 10 rounders.
View Quote

Not to derail the thread, but what are you using as a duty holster for your 48? I have given up looking for a level 3 retention holster for a G48 MOS with a TLR 7 sub.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a 43X that runs these mags 100%
I also have a 48 that chokes on the exact same mags with at least one failure to feed per magazine.

I entertained the idea that the catch was the problem and swapped them.
The results were that the 43X runs 100% regardless of which metal catch was installed and the 48 continues to choke.
View Quote

I think this might be the result of glock using the same recoil spring assembly, includin gspring weight, on both pistols...effectively you have the same spring trying to drive the slide home, and the 48 has a heavier slide so the velocity is less.  maybe only slightly, but this lower velocity of the slide could very well be what's causing your 48 to choke while the 43X runs....
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I was really really hesitant to try these but I got a Glock 43x MOS ordered the S15 3 pack with mag release. They worked perfect. At the range. 300 rounds so far. Mostly blazer brass but some other 9mm brands too WEB, federal, gold dot 147s. I also tried two of the promag 15rds. Unsurprisingly they did not work for shit. I think they could but it would require a lot of work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Changed out one of my Shield Arms +5 extensions that have been iffy for me to a Taran Tactical.

220rds so far on it and 100%. Hoping to run more through it this week
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow, it’s pretty rare to see anybody question the reliability of Glock factory mags.  My 43X factory mags, six of them, have seen over 2000 rounds between them. Everything from aluminum cases, brass cases ,and steel cases. Even some oddball rounds like leftover MagSafe loads from the 90s. Not a single hiccup from any of them.  Just one guy’s experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand thats how my comment came across, and I dont doubt your experience at all.

My point was that there are people running a round count similar to you in Shield mags with and without issues. Id simply argue that of the millions of trouble free factory mags out there many have a much lower round count because people inherently trust them more and a lot of people outside of gun forumns are lucky to shoot 50rds/yr thats all. If their factory mag happened to be iffy on reliability they probably wouldnt notice for years if at all.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I couldnt find it on Shields website, do they have a specific round count they recommend for changing springs?

I know they have "springs for life" or something warranty.

To me changing springs means I may have to start over reliability testing so just curious on what the recommendation might be
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I couldnt find it on Shields website, do they have a specific round count they recommend for changing springs?

To me changing springs means I may have to start over reliability testing so just curious on what the recommendation might be
View Quote

You could just use Glock 19 mag springs from glock or wolff....
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I could use those if when I need replacements.

Not sure that negates testing the magazine as a package for reliability though
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

By the time you're done testing, it will be time to replace the spring again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I could use those if when I need replacements.

Not sure that negates testing the magazine as a package for reliability though

By the time you're done testing, it will be time to replace the spring again.

I know

Im carrying a 15rd now that has had 500rds through it without a hiccup so I hope the springs are good for more than that
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
One thing I am, is stubborn  I just don’t quit.

I have several hundred reloads that are shorter than what I usually load 9mm. I use these in my CZ, which has a very short or tight chamber.

I decided to run some of these through my one 43X with the SA15s.

I had a modicum of success!  

The only time the slide failed to go into battery is when I dropped the slide release as I was still exerting pressure on the bottom of the magazine.

I’m not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up!

The first time at the range with the SA mags that I didn’t feel irritated!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One thing I am, is stubborn  I just don’t quit.

I have several hundred reloads that are shorter than what I usually load 9mm. I use these in my CZ, which has a very short or tight chamber.

The only time the slide failed to go into battery is when I dropped the slide release as I was still exerting pressure on the bottom of the magazine.

I’m not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up!

The first time at the range with the SA mags that I didn’t feel irritated!  
View Quote

That's great news Henny!!! Keep an eye on Prairie State Patriots Youtube channel today or tomorrow. They came out to my range and shot a video of them torture testing 2 of my shield mags. Interesting results.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One thing I am, is stubborn  I just don't quit.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up!

The first time at the range with the SA mags that I didn't feel irritated!  
View Quote
This further reinforces that they should have gone with a mag that takes up the full magwell and an internal spacer in the back.  Would've solved the insufficient mag catch engagement and insufficient slide travel that some people are experiencing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Still banging away with the original 5 that we bought. After last week our round count is at approximately 1650rds. We've been pleased. Both have SA mag release. Neither the 43X nor the 43X MOS have never been fired with OEM mags.

We've been pleased.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's great news Henny!!! Keep an eye on Prairie State Patriots Youtube channel today or tomorrow. They came out to my range and shot a video of them torture testing 2 of my shield mags. Interesting results.
View Quote

I will check it out!

Quoted:
This further reinforces that they should have gone with a mag that takes up the full magwell and an internal spacer in the back.  Would've solved the insufficient mag catch engagement and insufficient slide travel that some people are experiencing.
View Quote

I agree. Who knows? Maybe that would have caused different problems?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
@Henny   here's the link to the video...... S15 Torture test
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Henny   here's the link to the video...... S15 Torture test
View Quote

Thanks!

I watched it. The problem I had been having is failure to feed on a new magazine using the slide release. I noticed in the beginning they were slingshotting the slide. Toward the end, they were using the slide release / stop.  

Now that I’m using my shorter, CZ ammo I haven’t been having nearly the problems I was having. I still want to get a few more rounds through them before I start carrying them, if I carry them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It appears from the video, all of the problems they had related to dirty mags inducing friction in the system.  The clean mags functioned fine.  Didn't the army have this same problem with checkmate in the desert?

Wonder if this would help?
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-oz-specialist-dry-lube-59633.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17890472041&campaignid=17890472041&utm_content=140972278513&adsetid=140972278513&product=59633&store=3355&gclid=Cj0KCQjwteOaBhDuARIsADBqRejB9sdFaCcLsSKAVhiiSVAF5aFcntyTyZ12IsSBaaqY8ovZh7GbM7MaAojdEALw_wcB
View Quote

I was there the day they filmed it, and yes the problems all came from extremely dirty mags. The test was truly beyond normal wear and tear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It appears from the video, all of the problems they had related to dirty mags inducing friction in the system.  The clean mags functioned fine.  Didn't the army have this same problem with checkmate in the desert?

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-oz-specialist-dry-lube-59633.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17890472041&campaignid=17890472041&utm_content=140972278513&adsetid=140972278513&product=59633&store=3355&gclid=Cj0KCQjwteOaBhDuARIsADBqRejB9sdFaCcLsSKAVhiiSVAF5aFcntyTyZ12IsSBaaqY8ovZh7GbM7MaAojdEALw_wcB
View Quote

not to mention when the testing was over I cleaned the 2 mags used for the testing and finished with the rounds they didn't use, with 0 issues or malfunctions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Didn't the army have this same problem with checkmate in the desert?
View Quote
The checkmate M9 mags were parkerized and had awful springs.  The combo led to a lot of issues with checkmate mags.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

not to mention when the testing was over I cleaned the 2 mags used for the testing and finished with the rounds they didn't use, with 0 issues or malfunctions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way that the one guy stomped on the mag while it was in the dirt was brutal,I was surprised it ran at all. I had been on the fence about these but this pushed me over the edge,I ordered the 5 pack and a mag release tonight. On a separate note,there are 10 factory ten rounders for $75.00 on a local gun board FO or no Fo.
Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top