Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Korean-made G19 mags? (Page 4 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By wwynter:
I can say this Roger Copes rocks!  within an hour he responded to my email. he said they come from the same importer(KCI and Khan). He said they sold over 4600 khans and only 13 came back. He offered to replace them,said he had a new shipment of 1K at the warehouse. Told me they have a 30 day warrenty. I have never seen this level of customer service. they shipped super quick.,and back their shit up!! The mags look very close to OEM, and feed well thru hand cycling. They load well and dont bulge.. I hope to take them to the range tommorow with my New G-34 and my 19. I'll keep you all posted.

Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking copes i've bought a truckload of stuff from them and always been happy.

But if 44 mag has the mags i want or need they get my business they warranty any mag they sell for life although that might be a limited warranty due to our .gov..........
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 9:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: muncie21] [#2]
Originally Posted By PreemptiveStrike:
I just checked mine (10 pack of G17) that I got from Military Gun Supply and there are NO markings at all on the baseplates. But they were packaged IDENTICAl to the G19 mags pictured at the beginning of this thread. The no markings on the baseplate didn't occur to me because the bottom of the baseplates was not shown.

So it appears that there are either 3 different manufacturers or they(KCI) transitioned from KCI to Khan. Also I wonder who is having what issues with what type. Mine had the "binding" isue with a couple of them and I cleaned out the plastic "tags" from inside of the mags on most of them.

I'm going to email MGS later and ask WTF is going on here. When I bought mine they were advertised as KCI.

FWIW, I purchased G17 and G19 mags.  
The 17's were Khan, marked on the mag body and the baseplate.
The 19's are marked KCI, on the baseplate only.

Only opened a few packages to determine this.  So it could change if I decide to open the rest.

Edit to add: Just checked my springs.  The KCIs had the black spring.  The Khan has the 'steel' colored spring, although it was slightly longer than my factory G17 spring.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By muncie21:
I just checked mine (10 pack of G17) that I got from Military Gun Supply and there are NO markings at all on the baseplates. But they were packaged IDENTICAl to the G19 mags pictured at the beginning of this thread. The no markings on the baseplate didn't occur to me because the bottom of the baseplates was not shown.

So it appears that there are either 3 different manufacturers or they(KCI) transitioned from KCI to Khan. Also I wonder who is having what issues with what type. Mine had the "binding" isue with a couple of them and I cleaned out the plastic "tags" from inside of the mags on most of them.

I'm going to email MGS later and ask WTF is going on here. When I bought mine they were advertised as KCI.

FWIW, I purchased G17 and G19 mags.  
The 17's were Khan, marked on the mag body and the baseplate.
The 19's are marked KCI, on the baseplate only.

Only opened a few packages to determine this.  So it could change if I decide to open the rest.

Edit to add: Just checked my springs.  The KCIs had the black spring.  The Khan has the 'steel' colored spring, although it was slightly longer than my factory G17 spring.

Any reliability issues with yours?
Mine weren't marked anywhere, mag body or floorplate, just 9mm and round count on the witness holes. But the packaging was the same brown paper and markings as pictured early in the thread. All of my springs were black coated.

Link Posted: 3/16/2009 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
So I assume that the new mags now are all Khan mags?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my pack of 10 G17 mags this weekend. All are KHAN mags. Fit and finish was great. All were drop free, and feed perfect. The only problem I had with ALL of them was with the slide open and the mag empty, the follower would pop up past the slide catch if the mag got bumped or pushed sidways by the mag release. That would cause the empty mag to not drop free.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#6]
Check this out Range report with picks , the KHANS I got are junk also the construction is not the same as a Glock, the previous KCI mags Flawless and the construction almost identical.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81330

Copy and paste this I can't get a hot to save my ass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Triggerbender:
Check this out Range report with picks , the KHANS I got are junk also the construction is not the same as a Glock, the previous KCI mags Flawless and the construction almost identical.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81330

Copy and paste this I can't get a hot to save my ass.

LINKY

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
For the people who are getting the KHAN mags are they packaged the same as the KCI mags that are shown in the begining of this thread?

From what I can tell there seems to potentially be 3 different manufacturers at play, or they are all KCI / noname(which I got) / KHAN put out by the same company.

I'm kind of leaning towards all the same company if the packaging is the same. I got 10 no name/marking mags that were packaged IDENTICALLY to the KCI mags shown in the begining of this thread. They also had the black coated springs that were shown in the KCI mags.

They seem to function ok so I'm keeping mine as cheap range mags to save wear and tear on my factory ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
For the people who are getting the KHAN mags are they packaged the same as the KCI mags that are shown in the begining of this thread?

From what I can tell there seems to potentially be 3 different manufacturers at play, or they are all KCI / noname(which I got) / KHAN put out by the same company.

I'm kind of leaning towards all the same company if the packaging is the same. I got 10 no name/marking mags that were packaged IDENTICALLY to the KCI mags shown in the begining of this thread. They also had the black coated springs that were shown in the KCI mags.

They seem to function ok so I'm keeping mine as cheap range mags to save wear and tear on my factory ones.

I got 17 that have no marking what so ever too.  I assume they are KCI because I got them from 44Mag and that is what they said they were but I only opened 2 packages.  Any idea what the no-marked mags are.

They loaded well, feed well and seem well made.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Kahn mags have different packaging. Not terribly different, but noticeably so.  

Beyond packaging, the Khan mags also appear to differ from the KCI mags in design, manufacture and materials.  Again, they are similar to the KCIs, but noticeably different.  

While it's possible KCI recently changed its name to Khan and started making its mags differently, I'm inclined to think it's a different manufacturer altogether.  I can't speak to the no-namers, as I have none.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#11]
Originally Posted By Devils_Advocate:

Beyond packaging, the Khan mags also appear to differ from the KCI mags in design, manufacture and materials.  Again, they are similar to the KCIs, but noticeably different.  

While it's possible KCI recently changed its name to Khan and started making its mags differently, I'm inclined to think it's a different manufacturer altogether.  I can't speak to the no-namers, as I have none.

I think the no name that I got are KCI but for some reason unmarked. They had identical packaging and the black coating on the springs. they are also very close copies of my factory mags. I did have the binding issue with a couple from the 10 pack I got but after cleaning them up and cycling them a few times they seem to be fine now. They'll at least make good range mags.

I've heard different things about Khan but the general consensus is that they are not as good as KCI. Some people are getting Khan when they were advertised as KCI. That's what was making me wonder about them being the same manufacturer.

ETA: can you post pics of the Khan packaging?

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Devils_Advocate:

I think the no name that I got are KCI but for some reason unmarked. They had identical packaging and the black coating on the springs. they are also very close copies of my factory mags. I did have the binding issue with a couple from the 10 pack I got but after cleaning them up and cycling them a few times they seem to be fine now. They'll at least make good range mags.

I've heard different things about Khan but the general consensus is that they are not as good as KCI. Some people are getting Khan when they were advertised as KCI. That's what was making me wonder about them being the same manufacturer.

ETA: can you post pics of the Khan packaging?

Not at the moment, but I can later.

In my opinion, the Khans are not as well made.  I would not have ordered them, nor did I order them, actually - they were advertised as KCI mags.  I've sent two emails to the company asking for a refund as the mags were not advertised correctly, but shockingly I've received no response.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
KHAN package

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
After reading the posted link about Kahns not dropping free or locking the slide back on a 2-pin G34.  I tried them on my 3-pin G17 and G34.  They dropped free from both and locked back the slide on each.  Not sure if this is due to mag manufacturing differences or gun differences. <shrug>
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I decided to try some of these mags.  I bought 3 G17 and 3 G19 mags (6 total).

The G19 mags were stamped KCI.  The G17 mags were absent any markings.  The finish on the G19 mags was a bit different than the G17 mags.  The packaging was very similar, but the font size was different between them, and the G17 package had a bar code.

I tried these mags in a Gen 3 Glock 19, and a 1st Gen Glock 17.

In the G19, only one of the G17 mags would drop free.  All the G19 mags dropped free.  All held the slide back when empty.

In the G17, only one of the G17 mags would drop free initially.  The other two were a bit sluggish or in some cases just seemed stuck.  After a bit of play, I got another one of them to drop free each time I hit the mag release.  The other didn't want to play.  After careful inspection, it appears that the one that wasn't dropping free was a bit bent.  A careful tweek and it too drops free now in both the G17 and G19.  

I used the mag loader from my G19 to test loading.  These mags were a PITA to load.  Very tight springs.  When using the mag loader, it was possible for the tounge to slide slightly to the side of the top round, which cause the rounds in the mag to get out of alignment.  Tapping the back or side of the mags brought the rounds back into proper alignment.  All mags were able to be fully loaded, and all mags hand cycled through both guns without problems.

As for fit in the gun, these mags are a bit tighter in the gun than factory glock mags.  They are definately larger in dimension.  Of course this shows that the internal dimensions of the mags are larger as well, which is probably allowing the rounds in the mag to get out of alignment easily when using the loader.

Summary:

All mags will now drop free, except for one G17 mag will not drop free in the G19.  All G19 mags drop free in the G19, and 2 G17 mags drop free in that gun as well.  All G17 mags drop free now in the G17.

All mags hand cycle rounds without problem

All mags will hold open the slide when empty

Analysis:

The G19 mags seem the best made of the two types I bought.  I anticipate these mags should be able to function just like factory mags without problems.  I will be buying more of these.

The G17 mags are a crap shoot.  Two initially didn't drop free in the G17, and only one would drop free initially from the G19.  One was bent, but able to be realigned and now it drops free in both the G17 and G19.  The final mag will now drop free only in the G17.  I would only buy more of these for range use only, and from someone who has a good return policy.

Testing for mag drop was done with the weapon in battery, with the weapon on slide lock, with a full mag, with an empty mag, inserting a mag while in battery and putting the weapon in slide lock and dropping the mag, and inserting the wepon while in slide lock and then dropping the mag while the slide was in battery.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#16]
My take on the whole deal is the issues have been with the G17 mags which seem to have gone from KCI to NO markings to KHAN.
The issues started to rise with the KHAN.

The G19 mags have been all KCI SO FAR and little issue with them. (correct me if anyone got different G19 mags.)

My G17 KHAN mags went back, mine were NOT the same in quality, construction or function as the KCI.
I ordered KCI because I wanted KCI not KHAN.

All that being said although I have no real proof, is that the importer/supplier/wholesaler pulled the switch a roo on the dealers getting beat up over these to meet demand and price at the cost of quality.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Update******

I left one of the G19 mags loaded overnight.  It is now much easier to load.  However, it will not drop free on an empty mag when on slidelock.  When the slide is in battery, it will drop free.  I'm thining that when the slide is in battery, there is just a little bit extra tension on the follower and spring which generates enough force to overcome the friction of whatever is holding the mag in place when the mag release is depressed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got back from the range. Using 2 Khan mags on a G-19c and a new G-34. The mags functioned flawlessly. Fit well when loaded to capacity,fed well,just like a Glock mag. Slide locked back everytime,in both guns. dropped just like they should. I shot 100rnds blazer brass.and 50rnds of Triton Quick shok-hollow point . No problems. I think they will be fine range mags,not gonna trust my life to them yet. These were the G-17 mags. At the price why not stock up?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I just checked the Military gun supply site and the 10 packs are not listed.........again, but that changes every few minutes.

What was there are 33rd mags that say "coming soon" and no price is listed. That made me go both and at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#20]
how are the KCI G19 mags operating in G26s?  drop free, slide hold open?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XM15Carbine] [#21]
My expierence of the 17 mags

I ordered 8 of the Glock 17 KCI mags from 44mag. The wrappers look like the ones marked above in this thread as Khan. UPC 8 809257 220047. No marking at all on the magazines or baseplates. Black springs and a real pain to load any of the 8, past 5 rounds. I even cracked one of my Glock factory mag loaders trying to get them past 5 rounds.

I took them all apart and removed any of the plastic material coming in from the holes of the side metal liners with a flathead screw driver. Then I put them all back together. Then I made a tool to cycle the springs.

Two hardware wooden paint sticks glued together, the bottom cut to the angle of the follower is what I used. Then I cycled them, compressed the followers down in the magazine all the way, about twenty times each. Then I was could load each magazine to 14 or 15 rounds. They sat for a couple hours that way, then I was able load all to 17.

Hopefully I will be able to try them out this weekend or sometime soon.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#22]
the Khans were not hard to load at all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I am starting to think that all of the wrappers are the same, hence the confusion as to what the venders actually have and what they think that they have.

I shot some of my "No Markings" mags this weekend and they worked fine but there were a bit tough to load.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CatBacker] [#24]

I received eight G17 magazines from .44Mag.com today, advertised as KCI, and sold as KCI according to the invoice.  All eight were packaged exactly like those pictured here.  I opened one and found it completely unmarked except for "9mm"  on the follower.  This one magazine was also a big-time PITA to load.  I could not get past four rounds without a very inordinate amount of effort, and I just lost interest after six since it was getting ridiculous to suggest this was acceptable.  There's just no way I was going to get 17 in at the rate the resistance was increasing.  The six rounds hand cycled through the gun normally, locked the slide and dropped free of both a 17 and a 19.  I'll work a little more with this one, but if there's no sign it's going to get reasonably easy to load to capacity, the lot is going back.  I don't need them bad enough to put up with the aggravation.  At this point I'd say one Glock factory mag is clearly worth two of these wannabes.  It'd be nice if they were worth $12.00 but at this point I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks alot Agrippa––-great write up. I've seen those k mags for $12 on 44mag.com (the 19s and 17s) I'm gonna get some. Thanks again.
––––––––––––––––Dyslexics have more fnu––––––––––––––––––––-
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I noticed that 44mag is selling the Khan G17 mags "as is" with NO RETURNS.

No way I would buy them if the seller will not stand behind them.

So is the consensus that the KCI mags are better than the KHAN mags?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
You can go to Glockstore.com and see a video of the owner comparing specs of these against OEM mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I've not used the KCI,but the Khans seem okay in my book. Seems the KCI mags are a pain to load. I've ordered more(KHANS) from Copes who stand behind all their products.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#29]
After reading how people who ordered KCI G17 mags were receiving either no-brand or Khan mags, I went an opened the wrapper of the 10 Korean G17 mags I got from MilitaryGunSupply almost 2 months ago. I always thought they sent me KCI mags since the G19 mags I got from them at the same time I received the G17 mags were all KCI. Turns out the G17 mags they sent me were no-brand mags. I have 10 KCI G17 mags I ordered from CheaperThanDirt. After comparing the two mags, I concluded that they were not manufactured by the same factory. The polymer material used by them are different as well. The KCI has smoother and glossier surface than the no-brand. The no-brand is actually closer in appearance and texture to the polymer surface used on Glock factory mags.

I never had to clean up the interior of the KCI mags to make them work. They just worked from the first time I loaded them up. But with the no-brand mags I had to use box cutter to remove extra polymer that protrudes into the magazine interior. The mag spring is very very stiff. I could not load more than 5-6 rounds before the follower started to bind. Since I had cleaned the excess plastic from the mag interior, my suspicion now pointed to the spring anf follower. So I borrowed a spring and follower from my factory G17 mag and used it with the body of the Korean no-brand mag. It worked!! I could loaded 17 rounds using factory mag loader without having any trouble. No binding either.

Then I got curious .... was it the mag spring or the follower that causes the binding?  So I matched a factory mag spring with the Korean follower. It worked!! The mag loaded easily and it held 17 rounds without any problem. Based on these tests, it seems that the stronger Korean mag spring is the culprit for binding. I tried to monkey with the Korean spring. I noticed it is longer than the factory spring. So I tried to compress the Korean spring using my fingers, 2-3 coils at a time. Lo and behold, the Korean mag using Korean spring now can be loaded to 17 rounds normally.

I plan to replace the Korean spring with factory spring in all my no-brand Korean G17 mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MouseGun87:
Then I got curious .... was it the mag spring or the follower that causes the binding?  So I matched a factory mag spring with the Korean follower. It worked!! The mag loaded easily and it held 17 rounds without any problem. Based on these tests, it seems that the stronger Korean mag spring is the culprit for binding. I tried to monkey with the Korean spring. I noticed it is longer than the factory spring. So I tried to compress the Korean spring using my fingers, 2-3 coils at a time. Lo and behold, the Korean mag using Korean spring now can be loaded to 17 rounds normally.

Good work. You might want to try a spring replacement on a "virgin" Korean mag to help confirm your conclusion. All of the loading/unloading you did with the single test mag may have smoothed things out a bit.

I plan to replace the Korean spring with factory spring in all my no-brand Korean G17 mags.

Why not just compress the Korean springs as you did with the test mag?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheOtherMike:

Good work. You might want to try a spring replacement on a "virgin" Korean mag to help confirm your conclusion. All of the loading/unloading you did with the single test mag may have smoothed things out a bit.

Just cleaned up two more 'virgin' Korean mags this morning. Cleaning up the plastic flares in the mag body interior + replacing the spring with Glock factory one solve the problem. No binding, loads and unloads just like Glock mags. They drop free with slide open too.

Why not just compress the Korean springs as you did with the test mag?

I tried that too. Yes, compressing the Korean springs improved the mag function. But once I compressed the spring my hand, it got mis-aligned slightly. So when inserted into the mag body the spring is much closer (even rubbing) to the front wall of the mag interior. So when I used the Glock mag loader (which pushes the rear end of the top round, the follower tends to bind again. But the spring seems to get re-aligned properly after loading it to full capacity a few times. So for now all the Korean no-brand mags that I cleaned up have their original springs compressed. The original spring extends up to 1.5" beyond the mag body (with floorplate removed and follower position on the feed mouth). After the compression, the spring extends less than 1". All these mags now can be loaded easily by hand to full capacity ... well the last 2 rounds are a bit tough, but you can still do it without a mag loader.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoHarmNoFAL] [#32]
I loaded up the three that I shot the other day, without a single issue for what it is worth, and I opened two more 'virgin' packages and loaded them up too.  I loaded them all up without any issues.  Yeah, the springs seem a bit stiffer compared to my used LEO mags but I got them fully loaded, I did use the loader on the last few round on two of the five but this is not out of the norm for me.

If you have 'No Name' mags and you can't send them back IM me, I will buy as many as I can afford for $8 each.

ETA:  All of my mags are 'No Name' mags.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Took a couple of the no-name G17 mags to the range yesterday. Fired them out of my G19. 100% functionality. Went home and reloaded them again ... no binding whatsoever. Loaded just fine. Still want to replace the springs with Glock factory though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I shot an Action Steel Match today and I used my 'No Name Mags' exclusively and I stuffed them with my own reloads.  0 Errors, 100% function out of 250ish rounds.  I am very satisfied with my purchase and as stated above I will buy others that don't like them.

Oh yeah, the reloads I shot were topped with 124 tumble lubed cast lead bullets that I cast myself and I shot them out of my G-17 with the factory barrel.  5 min of clean up and she is good as new.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#35]
i see Copes now has 33 round G18 Kahns for $19.99.  Any chance folks have tried these and put them through the wringer yet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
My Khan 17 mags have been flawless for over 500rnds so far.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BallisticTip] [#37]
Any range reports on, thease mags.?
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got 4 Khan G17 mags yesterday from 44mag.com
Very happy with them.
Will get some more if they have any left.

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I  want some info on the G18 mags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BallisticTip:

Buy some and tell us about them
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
So, they are like Korean made Scherer mags?

I'll stick with factory mags for a few dollars more.

I thought they were all made in KOrear
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#42]
INMHO light years better than the Scheers
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
had a chance to test my KCI g17 and g19 mags during an ITTS class. They performed flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#44]
My KHANS still running strong
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm jealous. Are they going to make G21 .45 mags?????????????
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I just ordered a 10-Pack of G-19's from Millitary gun supply. I'll chime in once I put some rounds threw them.

Thanks for all of the excellent feedback on these things. I wasn't expecting 8 pages worth
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought 5 G19 mags through 44mag

Like was mentioned earlier, they feel lighter and cheaper.  I also noted that when loaded they will not drop free.  It feels like the metal casing has expanded and it binds a little bit in the mag well.  They would also not drop free when unloaded.  

I should get a chance to go to the range on Sunday and see how they do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Are these Korean mags equivalent to  Glock factory Generation 4 mags?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#49]

I ordered some today from Copes.  I'll let you know unless someone else posts about them first.

My first tacked thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By C-4:

I ordered some today from Copes.  I'll let you know unless someone else posts about them first.

My first tacked thread.

There is a big thread about them running around already....
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=75101

Thread is titled KCI instead of kahn, but I put up a quick review.  I still have not shot them yet.  

Page / 6
Korean-made G19 mags? (Page 4 of 6)
Top Top