Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
question, why hasnt this been stickied yet? as soon as funding is available, this is for sure my next build.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By machetebill:
question, why hasnt this been stickied yet? as soon as funding is available, this is for sure my next build.

Hater'z be hatin'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
another good book is "marsoc" by fred pushies it has over 100 color photos of weapons and gear of the marsoc its a really good referance book. page 107 shows 2 meusoc pistols. one of which is equipped with a surefire x300 light detachable rail adaptor and here i thought that they were only using the 310r and 610r lights on their non railed frames.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know the price on the SACS replica?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bcw107:

Not 100 percent the same, but currently the operator rail is 2700 with over a years wait. I'd guess close to the same being as the specs will be very similar.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Custom Carry's started around $1900. But when you add options, it can be much more $$$. The Professional model $2600 basically is a FBI spec. custom carry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.  What is a side by side comparison of a genuine MEUSOC and a MC Operator (other than the color scheme)?  The MC is a hell of a lot less than something out of SACS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm.  What is a side by side comparison of a genuine MEUSOC and a MC Operator (other than the color scheme)?  The MC is a hell of a lot less than something out of SACS.

Which variant?

I don't think a Custom Carry set up like the Variant 6 would be all that much more expensive than Custom Carry, and would probably fall somewhere in price between that and a PRO.  Remeber the PRO's got a lot of finish / cosmetic stuff that the Variant 6 wouldn't need, like Black-T, blended S&A magwell, recessed slide stop, as far as I can see, the SA Custom M45 is just a Custom Carry with a Nowlin barrel, parked finish, S&A lanyard loop MSH, and FCS.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
ost
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
From SA custom shop worksheet, a replica can be achieved with:

Base Custom Carry approx. $1,900
Front cocking serration $100
Install lanyard loop $75
Fit ambi thumb safety $100
Total $2,175

I think it is a excellent deal. You got a pistol build from scratch and quality just as good as other pricier custom 1911. This obviously does not include the price difference between SA NM barrel and Nowlin barrel. Also if one want to go with King's ambi safety, that will be extra cost of finding one.

Or use SA Standard Model as base pistol to upgrade to MEUSOC variant 6.
Std model $500 to $550
Front cocking serration $100
FIt flat checkered MSH $75
Install lanyard loop $75
Fit ambi thumb safety $100
Install Novak sight set $180
Fit match barrel/bushing $290
Action job 4.5lb with SA tool steel hammer/sear $225
Fit match trigger $50
Fit beavetail grip safety $100
Parkerize complete pistol $80
Total $1,775 to $1825

I certainly think Custom Carry option is better if funding is not a issue.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
What happened with all the Surefire 310R/610R. Those Marines in the photos below practiced shooting 1911at night with handheld light.

"Marines with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit's (MEU) maritime raid force fire a .45 caliber pistol aboard amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8). The 11th MEU is currently deployed as part of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (MKIARG) as the U.S. Central Command theater reserve force, also providing support for maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility. "
http://www.marines.mil/unit/11thmeu/PublishingImages/2012/120106-M-FW664-145.JPG
http://www.marines.mil/unit/11thmeu/PublishingImages/2012/120106-M-FW664-111.JPG
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mlin:
What happened with all the Surefire 310R/610R. Those Marines in the photos below practiced shooting 1911at night with handheld light.

"Marines with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit's (MEU) maritime raid force fire a .45 caliber pistol aboard amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8). The 11th MEU is currently deployed as part of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (MKIARG) as the U.S. Central Command theater reserve force, also providing support for maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility. "
http://www.marines.mil/unit/11thmeu/PublishingImages/2012/120106-M-FW664-145.JPG
http://www.marines.mil/unit/11thmeu/PublishingImages/2012/120106-M-FW664-111.JPG

Understand that even when they were in use, the 310R/610R were never "authorized."  The 1994 dated TM for the MEU(SOC) .45 says as much.  

Nowadays, the 310/610R are out of production, so spare parts are scarce, and no support exists for them.  

My understanding is that while the ICQB used the Dawson rail and Surefire IMPL, it was not terribly popular.  Anyways, the Dawson rail too is OOP.  The only remaining option would be an MR07 add on and Surefire X300.  

My suspicion would be that with access to the M9A1 with a railed frame, and the lack of a readily available, manufacturer supported COTS solution, it's simply seen as not needed enough to justify the expense.  Pistols that they've had custom built by SA have been non-railed dustcovers as well.  

It's possible too that PWS, consumate gunsmiths they are are not terribly pleased by solutions that involve replacing slide stops and "add on" parts to their finely crafted weapons.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Augee:

Understand that even when they were in use, the 310R/610R were never "authorized."  The 1994 dated TM for the MEU(SOC) .45 says as much.  

Nowadays, the 310/610R are out of production, so spare parts are scarce, and no support exists for them.  

My understanding is that while the ICQB used the Dawson rail and Surefire IMPL, it was not terribly popular.  Anyways, the Dawson rail too is OOP.  The only remaining option would be an MR07 add on and Surefire X300.  

My suspicion would be that with access to the M9A1 with a railed frame, and the lack of a readily available, manufacturer supported COTS solution, it's simply seen as not needed enough to justify the expense.  Pistols that they've had custom built by SA have been non-railed dustcovers as well.  

It's possible too that PWS, consumate gunsmiths they are are not terribly pleased by solutions that involve replacing slide stops and "add on" parts to their finely crafted weapons.  

~Augee

I've got a MR07... sitting in a drawer. I fully understand their disdain.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Because of this thread, I got inspired to purchase a Caspian mainspring housing (R42FBL) directly from Caspian which come delivered in-the-white.  I really hope what they are supplying isn't as terrible as the one I received just today (1.30.12).  

Some background on my 1911A1.  It's a shooter utilizing an Ithaca slide and frame.  I swapped out the trigger to a medium sized Harrison trigger and decided to can the USGI arched MSH.  Looking online, I came across Smith & Alexander and found they make a flat MSH with a lanyard loop.  Gave them a call and ordered one up.  It was a little tight at first but a little stoning here and there made it fit nice.  Eventually I am going to have the entire gun refinished in manganese phosphate.  It fit well and felt nice but I thought it would be neat to have a "USGI" flat MSH from Caspian since they were contracted to make the part.  So I called them directly and ordered one up.  Boy am I ever disappointed.

Fits like crap, looks worse than the MIM'ed Smith & Alexander part, and I can't even get the pin to go through it even without the spring installed in the MSH.  

Can anyone shoot a pic of your Caspian R42FBL MSH on your 1911 for me please.

Here are some pictures (sorry for so many pictures).

Caspian on Bottom

Caspian on Bottom

Caspian on Right

Caspian on Bottom

No bevel for MSH pin on the Caspian MSH

Caspian on Left

Caspian Fit

Caspian Fit

Smith & Alexander Fit

The problem with the Smith & Alexander is this is how the pin seats
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
^^^  You labelled the checkered MSH as both the Caspian and S&A.  Which one is it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LbBlackJeep:
Fits like crap, looks worse than the MIM'ed Smith & Alexander part, and I can't even get the pin to go through it even without the spring installed in the MSH.  

I have same issue with Caspian MSH. Either the pin hole is not drilled properly or the 2 side ribs need filing to align the pin holes on the frame. I have many MSH from various source (from Wilson to non-name brand), none of them have that kind of problem.

Also Caspian MSH seems undersized. one side is lower than the back strap of the frame when installed. I'd rather have slightly oversized and file it to meet the frame. I don't want to file my frame to meet the MSH. So I ended up buying a Colt smooth MSH with lanyard loop. Much better quality. Plan to have the pistol custom build inlcuding serration to MSH. Cost more but get exactly what I want.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jtb0311:
^^^  You labelled the checkered MSH as both the Caspian and S&A.  Which one is it?

Above each picture is a quick description, however the straight serrated MSH is the Caspian and the checkered is the Smith & Alexander.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy196] [#20]

~Augee

They kill reliability.  The proprietary slide stop included with the light is crap and causes all kinds of lock up problems and can even lead to barrel locking lugs to sheer eventually.

It's also not terribly unusual for the pressure switches to just stop working.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried installing the Caspian MSH on my Mil-Spec and GI and could not get the pin in either. The hole is not drilled correctly. Still up in the air about what I'm going to do, I figured I would see what the smiff had to say and scrap it if I have to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Contacted Caspian and I'm sending it back.  They don't even manufacture the part.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LbBlackJeep:
Contacted Caspian and I'm sending it back.  They don't even manufacture the part.

That's not what I expected. Caspian has some great stuff and they are selling outsourced and out-of-spec parts to customers. I am wondering if those were rejects from USMC contracts. No so good.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe I missed it in 15 pages but who won the contract for the 1911 going to the Marines? Kimber?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think it's done
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#28]
This is as close to a MEUSOC gun as I am going to get

I am using a N.M. slide, Trijicon staked front sights, Ed Brown Barrel and bushing, and Ed Brown Hardcore internals, chrome silicone coil springs, Wilson grip safety, and the rest of the gun is USGI parts
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Milo5:
http://www.fototime.com/3BC115926FD9695/standard.jpg
I am using a N.M. slide, Trijicon staked front sights, Ed Brown Barrel and bushing, and Ed Brown Hardcore internals, chrome silicone coil springs, Wilson grip safety, and the rest of the gun is USGI parts

I'm sure that's a fine blaster but I don't think there's one single thing there that would fall under the MEUSOC spec...
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By samuse:

I'm sure that's a fine blaster but I don't think there's one single thing there that would fall under the MEUSOC spec...

one thing...its a 1911 and its made of mismatched parts, same idea
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By garretts1776:

Yeah, I think ya may have missed the fine print.
MEUSOC is a good idea but trying to build one exactly as specified may be leading you into the land of obsessive compulsive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Picking up my Springer Loaded this afternoon. I already have the grips, GI guide rod and plunger to put on it.

I might try to find proper MEUSOC parts, but it will be here or there, or as parts need changing. Pics to follow soon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By garretts1776:

Yeah, I think ya may have missed the fine print.
MEUSOC is a good idea but trying to build one exactly as specified may be leading you into the land of obsessive compulsive.

building one exactly is what this thread is about, thats why its 16 pages of all the smallest details...same with retro ar's or clones of modern m4's being used...
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Maybe I missed it in 15 pages but who won the contract for the 1911 going to the Marines? Kimber?

Well, it won't be Kimber since they didn't enter the competition.  Still waiting on word whether the Colt Rail Gun or Springfield Armory MC Operator is the winner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
What companies entered the competition and with which models?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Colt Rail Gun vs. SA MC Operator
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Colt Rail Gun vs. SA MC Operator

The Colt Rail Gun was slightly modified.

While I don't usually quote Military Times for information:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/01/marine-marsoc-pistol-45cal-012511w/

The SA was their MC Operator.  

The Colt Rail Gun was a Series 70 version with added SS internals, a medium length trigger, lanyard loop MSH, and CeraKoted FDE with G10 grips.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#38]
So guys ! Which do you like better? The colt or Springfield ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:02:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreMDMatt] [#40]
FROM THE MARINE CORP ARTICLE LINKED ABOVE:

(Snip)They’re equipped with a popular night sight made by Novak of Parkersburg, W.Va. It utilizes tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, to power the optic, which is mounted on a Picatinny rail.(Snip)  

WUT?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#41]

The Colt Rail Gun was a Series 70 version with added SS internals, a medium length trigger, lanyard loop MSH, and CeraKoted FDE with G10 grips.  

~Augee

Augee - do we know it is Series 70?  I'd suspect so, but I haven't seen that written anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#43]
[

~Augee

SOB, why can't they make the civilian rail gun in series 70
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#44]
Originally Posted By accurange:
another good book is "marsoc" by fred pushies it has over 100 color photos of weapons and gear of the marsoc its a really good referance book. page 107 shows 2 meusoc pistols. one of which is equipped with a surefire x300 light detachable rail adaptor and here i thought that they were only using the 310r and 610r lights on their non railed frames.

I got the book. Both M45 pistols shown are variant 5. Interestingly, one is in Caspian frame (SN# MC18) and Springfield Loaded slide combo. The other has Surefire MR07 rail mount & X300 on it. Both have the Pachmayr GM-45 (#02919) grips, not the GM-45C  (#02921) that were on most published photos of MEUSOC pistols. The GM-45 is on December 4, 2009 dated parts list. This change also evident in the photo posted by Augee in p.14 of this thread.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Springfield and colt.  Both good choices.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Snaps:
[

~Augee

tell me about it, that would sell like crack
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By eternal24k:
Originally Posted By Snaps:
[

~Augee

tell me about it, that would sell like crack

In the 2012 catalog there is a model called O1970RG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#48]

I wouldn't put too much hope in that, Colt model numbers often do not make sense. The Special Combat Carry is 01970CY, but is a series 80
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#49]

I wouldn't put too much hope in that, Colt model numbers often do not make sense. The Special Combat Carry is 01970CY, but is a series 80

I assumed that the O1980RG also listed was the Series 80.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:24:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eternal24k] [#50]

I assumed that the O1980RG also listed was the Series 80.

here it is:

01980RG: Black Rail Gun, Series 80
01970RG: 2 Tone Rail Gun, Series 80

The model number is as deceptive as the Special Combat model number, they are both Series 80 but one has a stainless slide
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top