Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Mo Governor's Race? (Page 3 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Eigel held a rally in JC today. My aunt went, told me there were about 15 people there and she left an hour after it was supposed to start and he hadn’t shown up yet
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deuskid] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woodxdm:
Eigel held a rally in JC today. My aunt went, told me there were about 15 people there and she left an hour after it was supposed to start and he hadn’t shown up yet
View Quote

JC = Jefferson City?

That is disappointing that he didn't show.  Hope he explains that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 10:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodxdm] [#3]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

JC = Jefferson City?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodxdm:

JC = Jefferson City?

Yeah, Jefferson City. He may have showed, she just wasn’t waiting any longer
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly don’t like any of them

Ashcroft=swamp
Kehoe= I don’t like is china stuff and he has a rhino vibe to me
Engel= just seems slimy, I don’t have a good read on him just first impressions not I’m pressed

So who is the best of the worst?
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Glad to offer what I (think I) know. Hope at least some of it has been useful.

I do think any insight I might have has a limited shelf life. There's going to be a big turn-over in the Senate this year and I won't know much about the new crew. Hopefully, the dysfunction we've seen in the Senate will diminish next year since some of the worst offenders will be gone.

View Quote

A list of these “worst offenders” would be great to have (for reference).
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
MO Primary 2024: Breaking Down the Gubernatorial Primary!
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 2:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#7]
Originally Posted By RustyKnifeUSMC:

A list of these “worst offenders” would be great to have (for reference).
View Quote

I’m at a campground with poor internet right now. I’ll try to respond this weekend. Watch this space.

ETA:
Current worst offenders who will be gone after this year: Bill Eigel, Denny Hoskins
Worst offender who will be around awhile longer: Rick Brattin (assuming he wins his primary -- personally, I doubt Brattin has the smarts to be effective without Eigel leading him)
Also disruptive, but in his own way/not necessarily aligned with the Eigel wing: Mike Moon (also up for reelection)
Not necessarily disruptive yet, but possibly waiting in the wings to take up the mantle: Nick Schroer and Ben Brown (I'd look for these two to be the "elders" of any future chaos caucus)
Former worst offender out of office but still making noise: Bob Onder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The Annie Frye youtube poll today is "who are you voting for in MO Governor's race":

1 1/2 hours into her 3 hour show with 159 votes the standings are:

Ashcroft  13%
Eigel       48%
Kehoe     12%
27%  someone else or don't live in MO

Link Posted: 7/31/2024 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tsOjwgD10
View Quote

If you don't want to invest the 18 minutes, there is a summary at the end.

If you want to play the summary Missouri Firearms Coallition chose Eigel
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Marc Cox released his primary voter's guide this morning:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nGat1ByTrxUc3TiMnxBt5IZ14kEg5OPntwncDkx82J4/view

STATEWIDE RACES:

GOVERNOR: BILL EIGEL
Lt. GOVERNOR: DAVID WASINGER
SECRETARY OF STATE: DENNY HOSKINS
STATE TREASURER: ANDREW KOENIG
ATTORNEY GENERAL: WILL SCHARF

US CONGRESS:
DISTRICT 2: PETER PFEIFER
DISTRICT 3: BOB ONDER

MISSOURI SENATE:
SENATE 23: ADAM SCHNELTING
SENATE 15: MARK HARDER

ST. LOUIS COUNTY COUNCIL:
DISTRICT 6: MIKE ARCHER

ST. CHARLES COUNTY COUNCIL:
DISTRICT 2: JOE BRAZIL
View Quote

@deuskid
Who is Marc Cox and why should we listen to him?  Earnest question. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
MissouriNet has profiles on the top three Republican gubernatorial candidates:

Bill Eigel

Jay Ashcroft

Mike Kehoe
View Quote

@Bladeswitcher
Who is MissouriNet and why should we listen to them?  Thank you.

Seriously looking for good guidance here. Appreciate everyone’s input.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:12:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#12]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:

@Bladeswitcher
Who is MissouriNet and why should we listen to them?  Thank you.

Seriously looking for good guidance here. Appreciate everyone’s input.
View Quote

Missourinet is mainstream journalism. Probably the largest radio network in the state. If you listen to MU sports on the radio or tune in the farm reports it’s probably on a MissouriNet station (Learfield/Brownfield network).

How they describe themselves:

“The Missourinet is a division of Learfield News (www.learfieldnews.com). The first of Learfield's News networks, Missourinet provides state news and sports to more than 60 affiliate radio stations throughout Missouri. Missourinet has a staff of 5 full time reporters and utilizes stringers across the state to keep you up to date on the latest news from the Show-Me State. We have several sister networks including: Nebraska Radio Network, Radio Iowa, Wisconsin Radio Network, SportsTalk Radio Network, South Carolina Radio Network and Brownfield”
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for that explanation
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deuskid] [#14]
duplicate
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#15]

@deuskid
Who is Marc Cox and why should we listen to him?  Earnest question. Thanks!
View Quote

@MidwestJ

Marc Cox is a conservative talk show host on 97.1 here in the STL area.  Pro 2A and all things truly conservative [not necessarily republican].

BTW, I have a couple of friends on the St Charles County Republican central committee and his slate was identical to theirs for all candidates about the county level [he lives in St Louis County]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]

@MidwestJ

Marc Cox is a conservative talk show host on 97.1 here in the STL area.  Pro 2A and all things truly conservative [not necessarily republican].

BTW, I have a couple of friends on the St Charles County Republican central committee and his slate was identical to theirs for all candidates about the county level [he lives in St Louis County]
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Eigel on real Americas voice says he will detain  and deport illegal immigrants on the  Grant Stinchfield show.  
Not sure who is best for us yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By osageny:
Eigel on real Americas voice says he will detain  and deport illegal immigrants on the  Grant Stinchfield show.  
Not sure who is best for us yet.
View Quote

As Governor-would he have the legal authority to do that?

Have illegals arrested? Sure.  They’re here illegally.

But deport them from the USA?  How?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

At least deport them from the State of Missouri?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By delorean:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delorean:

Which I’d be cool with.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 7:46:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#21]
As elections approach former (and once disgraced) politician Jeff Smith often pens a column comparing the race to a game of Texas Hold Em. I'm not a poker player so I find his schtick a bit strained, but he usually offers some good insight. In this column he looks at the final days of the Missouri governor's primary.

Be warned, the column is all about political strategy and fundraising. It's not about who SHOULD win. It's more about who WILL win.

https://missouriindependent.com/2024/07/31/missouris-gop-gubernatorial-primary-as-a-hand-of-texas-hold-em-part-three-the-river/
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#22]
As elections approach former (and once disgraced) politician Jeff Smith often pens a column comparing the race to a game of Texas Hold Em. I'm not a poker player so I find his schtick a bit strained, but he usually offers some good insight. In this column he looks at the final days of the Missouri governor's primary.

Be warned, the column is all about political strategy and fundraising. It's not about who SHOULD win. It's more about who WILL win.

https://missouriindependent.com/2024/07/31/missouris-gop-gubernatorial-primary-as-a-hand-of-texas-hold-em-part-three-the-river/
View Quote

My summary from that:

No one will get 51%+

Kehoe's path to victory is ensuring Eigil and Ashcroft stay equal and just below him.

Eigil and Ashcroft's path to victory is to take the overwhelming number of "Not Kehoe" votes, because a near even split means Kehoe gets the win.

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

My summary from that:

No one will get 51%+

Kehoe's path to victory is ensuring Eigil and Ashcroft stay equal and just below him.

Eigil and Ashcroft's path to victory is to take the overwhelming number of "Not Kehoe" votes, because a near even split means Kehoe gets the win.

View Quote

The large undecided block suggests it's possible for any of the three to win. I don't think it will play out that way. I suspect Eigel has hit his ceiling or nearly so. My guess is that undecided voters have largely not been paying attention and will decide in the next 48+ hours. If that's the case, it's going to come down to name recognition.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I wish people wouldn't do that. It's a big part of how we get stuck with lifetime politicians.
View Quote

Remember "The Distinguished Gentleman" movie from the 90s?  The longtime incumbent congressman dies shortly before the election and Eddie Murphy's character has the same name......so he gets all of that guy's yard signs & materials and runs on "The name you know, the name you trust."
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 11:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#26]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I wish people wouldn't do that. It's a big part of how we get stuck with lifetime politicians.
View Quote

Every nation (or state) gets the government it deserves.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Every nation (or state) gets the government it deserves.
View Quote

Joseph de Maistre

True

That is why I'm leading small groups [currently of men at my church] in an 8 session on Biblical Citizenship and 10 week session on the Constitution.  

My 3rd time through and still learning as I lead.  Real eye-opener for 1st timers.  

These classes are free and created by Patriots Academy, it is an offshoot of Wallbuillders.  

It took several generations to get where we are and it'll take at least as long to reverse this [if possible].  I'm doing something for my grandkids and their grandkids.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Joseph de Maistre
View Quote

I don't think Maistre was a big fan of any kind of democratic process. My understanding is that he favored authoritarian rule by a king or the Pope. His most famous quote is still apt, though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
For those of you concerned about foreign ownership of farmland, this article gives a good overview of the situation:

How much Missouri farmland does China own?
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I read that all three have a plan to eliminate the state income tax, take money from the conservation and transportation tax, and place it in general revenue. Is this true? Is this possible? If true who would be the best choice to get it done?
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 9:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#31]
Originally Posted By ahorseman:
I read that all three have a plan to eliminate the state income tax, take money from the conservation and transportation tax, and place it in general revenue. Is this true? Is this possible? If true who would be the best choice to get it done?
View Quote

Shifting conservation or transportation funds to general revenue would require a constitutional change. The people would have to vote for it. BTW, the governor doesn't have the authority to put that question on the ballot. It could only happen through a legislative resolution or a citizen-led initiative petition.

Link Posted: 8/5/2024 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Tks
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tsOjwgD10
View Quote

Thanks for that. Eigle seems like the logical choice. However, I don't care for his book burning commercial. Reminds me of Hitler.
He will probably get my vote though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Shifting conservation or transportation funds to general revenue would require a constitutional change. The people would have to vote for it. BTW, the governor doesn't have the authority to put that question on the ballot. It could only happen through a legislative resolution or a citizen-led initiative petition.

View Quote

Wait.  Wut?

The conservation sales tax is constitutionally protected?

Count that as something I didn't know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 4:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#36]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Wait.  Wut?

View All Quotes

Wait.  Wut?

(I've bolded the part that limits the use of the Conservation sales tax money)

https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=IV+++43

IV Section 43(b).  Use of revenue and funds of conservation commission. — The moneys arising from the additional sales and use taxes provided for in section 43(a) hereof and all fees, moneys or funds arising from the operation and transactions of the conservation commission, department of conservation, and from the application and the administration of the laws and regulations pertaining to the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state and from the sale of property used for said purposes, shall be expended and used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, for the control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation of the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state, including the purchase or other acquisition of property for said purposes, and for the administration of the laws pertaining thereto, and for no other purpose. The moneys and funds of the conservation commission arising from the additional sales and use taxes provided for in 43(a) hereof shall also be used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, to make payments to counties for the unimproved value of land for distribution to the appropriate political subdivisions as payment in lieu of real property taxes for privately owned land acquired by the commission after July 1, 1977 and for land classified as forest cropland in the forest cropland program administered by the department of conservation in such amounts as may be determined by the conservation commission, but in no event shall the amount determined be less than the property tax being paid at the time of purchase of acquired lands.

  IV Section 43(a).  Sales tax, use for conservation purposes. — For the purpose of providing additional moneys to be expended and used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, for the control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation of the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state, including the purchase or other acquisition of property for said purposes, and for the administration of the laws pertaining thereto, an additional sales tax of one-eighth of one percent is hereby levied and imposed upon all sellers for the privilege of selling tangible personal property or rendering taxable services at retail in this state upon the sales and services which now are or hereafter are listed and set forth in, and, except as to the amount of tax, subject to the provisions of and to be collected as provided in the "Sales Tax Law" and subject to the rules and regulations promulgated in connection therewith; and an additional use tax of one-eighth of one percent is levied and imposed for the privilege of storing, using or consuming within this state any article of tangible personal property as set forth and provided in the "Compensating Use Tax Law" and, except as to the amount of the tax, subject to the provisions of and to be collected as provided in the "Compensating Use Tax Law" and subject to the rules and regulations promulgated in connection therewith.

ETA: Control of Conservation funds was the subject of a court case in 2023:

Missouri Supreme Court rules lawmakers had no power to limit conservation spending

The Conservation Commission was created by an initiative petition in the 1930s to take protection of land and wildlife out of political hands. Its powers were expanded, and a one-eighth cent sales tax enacted, in the 1970s to strengthen the department.

That history, as well as the language of the constitution, shows the intent to limit legislative power over the agency, the majority wrote.

“The very reason behind the Conservation Commission’s creation was to remedy the failure of existing government bodies in the 1930s, including the General Assembly, to set aside politics and properly manage Missouri’s conservation needs,” the opinion states.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Primary is today, get out and vote!
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I was #4 in my little town.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Not sure if this account was posted in this thread or not.  However, good little blurbs about candidates can be found on this Twitter account.

Link Posted: 8/6/2024 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Treasurer's race round-up:

Incumbent Missouri Treasurer faces four-way Republican primary

Parson appointed guy (not from around here) with a funny name, House appropriations chair for the past six years, Freedom/Conservative Caucus player (champion for public funding of private education) and also-ran compete for office nobody pays attention to . . . .
View Quote

@bladeswitcher

I read this link (thanks for posting)

1) who is the freedom caucus candidate?
2) who is for public funding for private education?

Imma re-read in case I missed it

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#41]

@bladeswitcher

Thanks!
View Quote

Sorry, I’m not available to contribute today
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry, I’m not available to contribute today
View Quote

I think Bladeswitcher mentioned earlier in the thread that he was working the polls today.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:23:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#43]

@bladeswitcher

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Treasurer's race round-up:

Incumbent Missouri Treasurer faces four-way Republican primary

Parson appointed guy (not from around here) with a funny name, House appropriations chair for the past six years, Freedom/Conservative Caucus player (champion for public funding of private education) and also-ran compete for office nobody pays attention to . . . .

@bladeswitcher

Thanks!

Freedom Caucus endorsed both their guys, Cody Smith and Koenig. Both also happen to be fairly big school choice advocates also, both pushed to get MOScholars through.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks ^
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks ^
View Quote

No worries.

I voted pretty early this morning, it was really quiet out here in the rural area. No wait. The polling station in town seemed pretty busy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Was pretty busy here in Warren, but it was around 1700 so people heading through on the way home.

Our line was long, then when I finished sniffing the sharpie voting, the other line was long.

I love driving past three polling places to get to mine, instead of the church 700 meters from the house where it was pre-covid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 11:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#47]

IV Section 43(b).  Use of revenue and funds of conservation commission. — The moneys arising from the additional sales and use taxes provided for in section 43(a) hereof and all fees, moneys or funds arising from the operation and transactions of the conservation commission, department of conservation, and from the application and the administration of the laws and regulations pertaining to the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state and from the sale of property used for said purposes, shall be expended and used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, for the control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation of the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state, including the purchase or other acquisition of property for said purposes, and for the administration of the laws pertaining thereto, and for no other purpose. The moneys and funds of the conservation commission arising from the additional sales and use taxes provided for in 43(a) hereof shall also be used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, to make payments to counties for the unimproved value of land for distribution to the appropriate political subdivisions as payment in lieu of real property taxes for privately owned land acquired by the commission after July 1, 1977 and for land classified as forest cropland in the forest cropland program administered by the department of conservation in such amounts as may be determined by the conservation commission, but in no event shall the amount determined be less than the property tax being paid at the time of purchase of acquired lands.

  IV Section 43(a).  Sales tax, use for conservation purposes. — For the purpose of providing additional moneys to be expended and used by the conservation commission, department of conservation, for the control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation of the bird, fish, game, forestry and wildlife resources of the state, including the purchase or other acquisition of property for said purposes, and for the administration of the laws pertaining thereto, an additional sales tax of one-eighth of one percent is hereby levied and imposed upon all sellers for the privilege of selling tangible personal property or rendering taxable services at retail in this state upon the sales and services which now are or hereafter are listed and set forth in, and, except as to the amount of tax, subject to the provisions of and to be collected as provided in the "Sales Tax Law" and subject to the rules and regulations promulgated in connection therewith; and an additional use tax of one-eighth of one percent is levied and imposed for the privilege of storing, using or consuming within this state any article of tangible personal property as set forth and provided in the "Compensating Use Tax Law" and, except as to the amount of the tax, subject to the provisions of and to be collected as provided in the "Compensating Use Tax Law" and subject to the rules and regulations promulgated in connection therewith.

Missouri Supreme Court rules lawmakers had no power to limit conservation spending

View All Quotes

Wait.  Wut?

The Conservation Commission was created by an initiative petition in the 1930s to take protection of land and wildlife out of political hands. Its powers were expanded, and a one-eighth cent sales tax enacted, in the 1970s to strengthen the department.

That history, as well as the language of the constitution, shows the intent to limit legislative power over the agency, the majority wrote.

“The very reason behind the Conservation Commission’s creation was to remedy the failure of existing government bodies in the 1930s, including the General Assembly, to set aside politics and properly manage Missouri’s conservation needs,” the opinion states.

Dang.

What would it take to rescind it?  

I wouldn’t be upset if that tax went away.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like Kehoe won, Eigel second and Ashcroft 3rd.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#49]

Dang.

What would it take to rescind it?  

I wouldn’t be upset if that tax went away.
View Quote

Simple. Circulate a petition, get hundreds of thousands of people to sign it and a majority of of Missourians to vote for it. Alternatively, you could get a majority of of the House and Senate to commit career suicide and put a constitutional amendment on the ballot and then convince a majority of Missourians to vote for it.

But seriously dude, Missouri has one of the best fish and wildlife departments in the country and some truly incredible public resources. We have a proud conservation history here and have been and continue to be the envy of the nation when it comes to rod and gun type stuff. What possible reason would you want to get rid of the the conservation tax? If there was ever an example of a GOOD tax, that's it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
Looks like Kehoe won, Eigel second and Ashcroft 3rd.
View Quote

Kehoe will be a good governor. This was a good outcome.

Page / 5
Mo Governor's Race? (Page 3 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top