Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 18 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Great thread although most of the first several pages are full of non-working images...

Anyone have any idea if an 81mm mortar ammo can will hold three or four jerry cans? Dimensions look close and it might make a decent mount, and a lot cheaper.

Just ordered some water cans from LCI, although the mfg is now listed as "Skilcraft". Still offering free shipping on orders over 50.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
Great thread although most of the first several pages are full of non-working images...

Well ech 2 and walt must have let some things go, but it's not "most" of the pages and it's not "full" of non working images.  Still some good ones in there

Anyone have any idea if an 81mm mortar ammo can will hold three or four jerry cans? Dimensions look close and it might make a decent mount, and a lot cheaper.

Just ordered some water cans from LCI, although the mfg is now listed as "Skilcraft". Still offering free shipping on orders over 50.
View Quote

A can for cans?  let us know. And make sure your images are good mkay?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the cans, don't have the 81mm. Surely someone around here has one and a tape measure? Inner dimensions needed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]

4 shiny new cans came in today.
Filled them up and stored away.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered 4 from BA but two came with small dents and scratched paint. Debating if I should say something or not..
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jerky_san:
I ordered 4 from BA but two came with small dents and scratched paint. Debating if I should say something or not..
View Quote

As I recall ... Rover Parts has been good to make the cans right.

But really ...
Did you buy the cans to display on your pristine Schwimwagon next to your A+ grade Kar98 at the WW2 reenactors guild?
Or did you get the cans to haul precious liquid from point A to point B while getting bounced about in your BOV?

Big damage, or can unable to seal/hold liquid? Yea call em
Need perfect can for display?  Yea get a perfect can, but I would not expect a vendor of "replacement" grade parts to provide you with "collector" grade.
Scratch n small dent?  Meh spray some paint on the scratch and kick the can into play.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Yesterday I unpacked the rest and I'm guessing Fedex let it drop on one side of the box or something. The one on that side has a much larger dent.. Anyways I was giving two as a present to one of my great friends who has a fully restored jeep for their birthday. That's why it kind of matters.. One only has a little paint scraped off so suppose I can just give the ones that look the best.. The others I was using for myself..
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#8]
If you have a fleet farm store near you. You can get good quality Red cans with a spout for $50. I also got the green ones there to in there military surpluses section for $30. But I haven't seen them in there for some time now. They have gray interior lining and came with pink gaskets with yellow pore spouts that I painted red. I emailed the company and they said they will work fine for petrol but they were meant for "sprints". I replaced the gaskets with ones I got from Rover Parts and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

This weekend I'm at my parents cabin and I'm replacing all my gas with ethanol free gas to run in my generator and other small engines.  I also keep some on hand in case I need to bugout.  

They fit in the back of my truck nicely.

Small gap about the size of a rattle can. In picture for comparison.

Large plank leeps them from sliding all over the truck bed.

The milk crate makes a tight snug fit.

Cover keeps them out of sight in an emergency.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Atlantic British  FREE shipping this week end on orders over $199.00
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there an adapter for the NATO cans that would allow me to directly fuel a generator? I'd like to just drop a can next to my unit and run a fuel line to it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By firefighter1241:They fit in the back of my truck nicely.
View Quote

If the plan is a BOV, try it off-road and bounce along some rocks.... That topper may not hold them in as good as the pics look...
If for paved roads, you're good...

IMO, I strap mine down two ways, pull down from top and pull forward against tailgate. Full of fuel, you will be surprised how those cans can move around and the inertia force they have.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I figured I would post my recent fun project find. There is a small survival store in northern AZ that had these cans, I talked the owner down to $25 for the two cans and the spout.  Pretty rough looking but the inside was clean.

I used some naval jelly and a green scratch pad to do most of the rust removal. Minor pitting below, but they were in good condition.

I cut out some new gaskets.

Cleaned up the caps, got the rust out of out the threads and installed the new gaskets

Did about 3-4 coats of Rustoleum paint over a day and a half

Done and done. $25 in cans, $6 can of paint and a few hours of labor and I've got 10 gallons ready to go!

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Went to Lexington Container today and all I can says is WOW! Used 50's for $9.95, brand new $15.95 prepper stuff! Barrels, jerry cans in many colors and they looked GTG! The staff was friendly and helpful but one thing I went for was out of stock. The cap mentioned above for attaching a fuel line to it. All they had was the two outlet type. They also have a vent hole in the cap so I'm a little confused about inverting the can with this cap on.

I also saw a sample of something they do not have in yet. They called it a TALL 50. A 50 cal can but it was probably 75% taller than normal. Looked about perfect for carrying a drill and bits!
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#15]
My newest Sportsman's Guide had what they claimed to be NATO cans and spouts (not the "mil spec" that they always have and that I've seen posted about a million times).  Same junk different name?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#16]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
My newest Sportsman's Guide had what they claimed to be NATO cans and spouts (not the "mil spec" that they always have and that I've seen posted about a million times).  Same junk different name?
View Quote

Yea, take a good look at the can.
It looks to be the the wide mouth centered can, rather than the smaller offset mouth can.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

It looks to be the the wide mouth centered can, rather than the smaller offset mouth can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did not notice that in the magazine, but I see it know.  Good catch.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I really have nothing against Sportsmans Guide,
but you really have to look and read carefully before buying from them.

Probably nothing wrong with those cans as long as you get the right spout.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I have some rachet straps in the truck if I plan to do some off-roading.  Thanks for the tip.  I have noticed that they move around but I don't normally transport that many at once.  I was refilling them with fresh nonreformulated gas.  I have to drive a bit to get it so I do it in one trip.  

Originally Posted By Rmplstlskn:

If the plan is a BOV, try it off-road and bounce along some rocks.... That topper may not hold them in as good as the pics look...

IMO, I strap mine down two ways, pull down from top and pull forward against tailgate. Full of fuel, you will be surprised how those cans can move around and the inertia force they have.

Rmpl
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rmplstlskn:
Originally Posted By firefighter1241:They fit in the back of my truck nicely.

Rmpl

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By unpleasant:
I figured I would post my recent fun project find. There is a small survival store in northern AZ that had these cans, I talked the owner down to $25 for the two cans and the spout.  Pretty rough looking but the inside was clean.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/845/kjgad.jpg

I used some naval jelly and a green scratch pad to do most of the rust removal. Minor pitting below, but they were in good condition.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/836/7e25.jpg

I cut out some new gaskets.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/844/ygjb.jpg

Cleaned up the caps, got the rust out of out the threads and installed the new gaskets
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/838/m2k4s.jpg

Did about 3-4 coats of Rustoleum paint over a day and a half
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/843/owlbb.jpg

Done and done. $25 in cans, $6 can of paint and a few hours of labor and I've got 10 gallons ready to go!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/v29pg.jpg

View Quote

There's a little surplus dealer near my parent's cabin who has a shipload of those, but he won't part with them.  The good one's he's keeping for personal use, and he won't sell me the rougher ones because "he doesn't want someone suing him if they leak and someone blows themselves up."
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

There's a little surplus dealer near my parent's cabin who has a shipload of those, but he won't part with them.  The good one's he's keeping for personal use, and he won't sell me the rougher ones because "he doesn't want someone suing him if they leak and someone blows themselves up."
View Quote

I spent a lot of effort testing these to make sure they wouldn't "blow up". I just ended up with a decent catch. I don't have a lot of confidence in the interior of the cans, so I definitely use a funnel w/ a filter.. so far so good after 6 refills from each. I just don't want to make my fuel filter work harder than it needs to, but when I picked them up the insides looked solid, which is why I picked them up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Where can I get a screw on cap for the "Blitz" type plastic 5gal fuel cans?  I recently got a blue one (no spout as I found it on the side of the road) that I plan to use for kero so I will be pumping out the fuel and I don't want to spend ~$11 for a spout I won't use if I can get a cheaper cap.  

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GreenGiant:
Where can I get a screw on cap for the "Blitz" type plastic 5gal fuel cans?  I recently got a blue one (no spout as I found it on the side of the road) that I plan to use for kero so I will be pumping out the fuel and I don't want to spend ~$11 for a spout I won't use if I can get a cheaper cap.  

Thanks in advance,
Tony  
View Quote

If it is the old US style Jerry Can the threads are the same size as those on a 55 gallon drum.  Any of the drum bungs etc will fit on them.  (this was by design.)  I have no idea if it will be cheaper or not but maybe you can scrounge something and make it work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Sadly no this is not the good type of metal 5 gal can, it is the "regular plastic gas can type"

Just like this one only blue:

http://lonelyconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Gas-Can.jpeg

Is there any type of sold cap?  One smaller gas can I used to have had a "transport Cap" that was solid or had a sealing disk that you put on when you didn't want to use the spout.  Of course, I chucked that long ago as I left the spout on all the time.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#25]
The standard Briggs & Stratton 5044H or 5044K worked real well for 4 of my plastic Red Blitz cans. I dumped the CARB Compliant stuff, and replaced them with just a cap to get a good seal. This B&S fit the threads just fine. It also fit my lawnmower . I found them on eBay for $1.50 each 2 years ago. They have held a good seal for the last 2 years.

Try the one off your lawnmower. If the threads mate correctly, then this is probably the one you need.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the reply.  This is the kind of answer I was looking for.  Never would have thought to see if the cap from my push mower would fit on my gas can!  Makes Mucho Sense though.  Opening near same size and cap has same purpose (keep the gas on the inside).

Will check ASAP and report back!

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Old Grouch is having a decent sale on four packs of NATO cans.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericaJr] [#28]
Ok, not so much of a fuel can question, but the black plastic piece of my fuel can nozzle came off and ended up in my boat's fuel tank (42 gal.) last weekend.

It has a canister style in-tank fuel pump / filter / gauge sender, so I really don't see it causing many issues - should I just leave it be or pull the pump unit and fish it out?

The concern with pulling the pump unit is tearing up the gaskets and such - I did order another gasket and might do it at the end of the season when winterizing the boat.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TailHunter] [#29]
Originally Posted By shaun315:
Ok, not so much of a fuel can question, but the black plastic piece of my fuel can nozzle came off and ended up in my boat's fuel tank (42 gal.) last weekend.

[url=[/url]

It has a canister style in-tank fuel pump / filter / gauge sender, so I really don't see it causing many issues - should I just leave it be or pull the pump unit and fish it out?

The concern with pulling the pump unit is tearing up the gaskets and such - I did order another gasket and might do it at the end of the season when winterizing the boat.
View Quote

run her low and fish her out. you do not want broken pieces of plastic blocking your pick up
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#30]

http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/resize/images/Product%20Images/All%20Catagory%20Thumbnails/red_nato_jerry_can_nozzle_large_survival.jpg?lr=t&bw=550&w=550&bh=550&h=550

View Quote

I suppose that depends on how critical engine function is to you. How fucked will you be if that part somehow obstructs fuel flow? Is this just a pleasure boat for out on the lake?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

run her low and fish her out. you do not want broken pieces of plastic blocking your pick up
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

[url=[/url]

As far as I know, it's not broken, just slid off the end of the nozzle - but guess I should fish it out before filling it back up.  If I'm lucky it may still be in the filler tube, however, I doubt that's the case and it's probably at the bottom of the tank near the pick up.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

I suppose that depends on how critical engine function is to you. How fucked will you be if that part somehow obstructs fuel flow? Is this just a pleasure boat for out on the lake?
View All Quotes

http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/resize/images/Product%20Images/All%20Catagory%20Thumbnails/red_nato_jerry_can_nozzle_large_survival.jpg?lr=t&bw=550&w=550&bh=550&h=550

Pleasure craft on a smaller lake - and family members have other boats, so it'd be a 10-15 minute tow back to the dock.  If the nozzle floated, it probably wouldn't cause problems, but it'll probably sit down right around the fuel filter and impede fuel flow.  Guess I'd rather fish it out instead of replacing a burned up fuel pump fuck...
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

[url=[/url]

the longer it sits in the gas and gets banged around the better chance of it breaking apart.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:43:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#34]
It'll look like it did when it fell in 10 50 years from now.

It ain't gonna block the fuel filter.

It ain't gonna burn up the fuel pump.

Don't over-metrosexual think this non-event it likely can be fished out the next time fuel gets low.

A 42 gallon tank is SMALL.

OP, a loop of safety wire or one of those gripper things from Harbor Freight is prolly all you need. If you pull the pump ---in a couple minutes, reach in and pick it out.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Sooooooooo,

I have 25 gallons of gas in 5 gallon standard plastic transport containers that have been sitting outside for about 2 weeks while I rig up another 100 pound propane cylinder for long term storage.

Just discovered that one of the lids broke, being open to atmosphere and rain. No idea when it broke, but lets assume since it came back full 2 weeks ago.

I am thinking run it through a Mr funnel and run it in the mower first, keeping it separate from all other fuel.

Oh, the fuel is premium, non corn fuel.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Sooooooooo,

I have 25 gallons of gas in 5 gallon standard plastic transport containers that have been sitting outside for about 2 weeks while I rig up another 100 pound propane cylinder for long term storage.

Just discovered that one of the lids broke, being open to atmosphere and rain. No idea when it broke, but lets assume since it came back full 2 weeks ago.

I am thinking run it through a Mr funnel and run it in the mower first, keeping it separate from all other fuel.

Oh, the fuel is premium, non corn fuel.

Thoughts?

View Quote

To me, it doesn't matter what fuel it is, your plan seems like a sensible one.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#37]
check these out and watch the video before you comment very interested in what the "experts"  think

http://www.prepandmore.com/nato-jerry-can-20l-5-28g/

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#38]
First of all, thanks to you all for making this thread what it is today. I've read it a few times end to end, and occasionally drop by and catch up, but haven't pursued buying my own cans until they unexpectedly fell into my lap recently. I've been getting by with old metal civilian OPE gas cans all of these years.

I had a stroke of luck at the Waterbury, VT, military vehicle show and flea market this past weekend, and picked up three USGI metal cans for $10 each. Those were all the seller had-- at that price, I would have bought all of them even if he had a trailer full! I tested them and they are all free of leaks and the gaskets are good.

Now where is a good place to get the "donkey dick" nozzle? I am not even sure what it is really called.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
On page one and on page two of this thread there are instructions on a diy donkey dick
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]
What problems do you guys see with using something like a fuel caddy like this

http://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405530309&sr=8-1&keywords=fuel+caddy#productDetails
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:54:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#41]
Originally Posted By IloveDeer:

http://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405530309&sr=8-1&keywords=fuel+caddy#productDetails
View Quote

Stay FAR FAR FAR away from that piece of trash... I have one... it was given to me... if I had paid a single penny more than $0 I would be pissed for wasting so much money.

I use it, but it causes more frustration than anything. I'll just hit the key points.

#1 The squeeze pump handle: Even if it didn't leak like a sieve it would take you hours to pump that tank into anything. The handle was cut off within the first use because it leaked with every single squeeze of the handle.
#2 About 3-5 uses in, the brass ball-valve that closes at the bottom of the tank started leaking. It closes off fine, but when you attach the hose and open the valve it pours out around the small handle.... clearly a bad seal and certainly something I could fix, but it's not worth it.
#3 The wheels don't roll, never have rolled well, and still don't.
#4 Using the outlet at the bottom leaves approximatley 1 gallon in the caddy, which IMHO, is a complete waste. It is poorly designed.

I use it as a storage vessle only, and I siphon gas out the top. If you really really want one to frustrate the hell out of you then I'll sell you this one for half-price... awe heck, how does 75% off amazon's price sound?

ETA, it does have one plus... it seals up very tight and it's heavy/rigid enough that it doesn't baloon too horribly in hot weather. I just opened it last night to siphon some gas off... the pressure bleed valve took far too long so I cracked the main fill-cap. It had a lot of pressure in it but not signs of a leak or even a weak spot...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By IloveDeer:

View Quote

If you really have to have something like that's buy the real deal.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/FLOFASTPumpSystems/Flo_Fast_Fluid_Transfer_Systems_2
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:
On page one and on page two of this thread there are instructions on a diy donkey dick
View Quote

"M1 Phallus, Pack animal"
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Jegs Jugs

Jegs

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
It'll look like it did when it fell in 10 50 years from now.

It ain't gonna block the fuel filter.

It ain't gonna burn up the fuel pump.

Don't over-metrosexual think this non-event it likely can be fished out the next time fuel gets low.

A 42 gallon tank is SMALL.

OP, a loop of safety wire or one of those gripper things from Harbor Freight is prolly all you need. If you pull the pump ---in a couple minutes, reach in and pick it out.
View Quote

Finally had some down time off the water and pulled it out, it didn't even get into the tank, hung up in the filler tube (been using the boat every weekend, just took a little longer to fill up due to the partial obstruction) - I was able to push it back out using a length of semi-rigid gas line.

Bought one of these, makes filling up much easier.

http://www.dasmule.com/products/nato-spec-metal-flexi-nozzle-jerry-can-spout.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TobyLazur] [#46]
How are these types of jugs compared to the jerry can types?

Edit: the ATV/race car ones listed above.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#47]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

View Quote

We've looked at the Jeg's type at the ATV stores and the plastic is thick, well made. The only issue we thought was the gasket in the cap seemed a little 'off', but obviously they work well.

I couldn't identify what the gasket was made of. This was abt 2 years ago. I did think at the time it could be replaced with a disk of Viton.

Personally, for a cost of about $35 with shipping for the Jeg's type of cans [I'm sure there are higher and lower prices] versus Scepter MFC's going for abt $65 shipped on ebay, I'd go with the Scepter.

Certainly they are an option... I think the 'footprint' of the Jeg's is smaller than the Scepter pattern, for similar amt of fuel stored. They are taller.

Also, I've paid $50 plus tax at the farm stores for metal Blitz style cans. Before I EVER did that again, I'd buy Scepters at the aforementioned price range.

I've also bought the red metal cans from Harbor freight up till a few years ago and they have worked fine and are presently in service.

I think welded seams like the NATO cans trump rolled seals like the Blitz cans.

IIRC, one of the metal cans [no idea where I bought it] with kero or diesel is seeping a barely detectable amt from the rolled seams near the bottom. Other metal cans I bought 20 yrs ago and stored volatile cleaning stuff in them, have not leaked, based on weighing them every few years. This is the kind with the flat metal cap with a flat ring gasket, the typical kind from years ago, not the current ones with a small male threaded 'spout' that uses a plastic cap.

That kind would be fine if someone made a metal cap with a Viton gasket. There is an aftermarket black plastic cap being sold on eaby now for abt an outrageous $12 each. A few years ago the caps were abt $3. I have used those caps and the metal cans to store kero or diesel. I think the rubber gasket swells with exposure to gasoline. Easy to test by putting one in a small jar with gas for a few days and looking...

We keep both the Scepter and metal cans on scraps of pink foam insulation so the concrete doesn't leech important volatile fractions out of them into the concrete causing an environmental problem.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#48]
More thoughts...

Unless portability for larger qtys of fuel is important, I favor using larger sized containers than 5 gallons.

Also, for larger quantities of fuel, I only consider putting it in metal tanks [10 gallons and up]

I have no use for these plastic roll around gas carriers as I think [but don't know] that at higher temperatures, vapors will be likely to be lost due to poor seals, and also the things will swell up like the folks in line at buffets in their scooters with O2 tanks. There's other reasons...

A few years ago at an auction, there were two squarish metal tanks of 75 gallon capacity, that had been mounted to trucks for oil collection or something.

I bought them both for $60 IIRC, cleaned them up, spent $150 on epoxy paint [that I never used and likely has turned hard in the can] to paint them. They are very nice and have a commercial DOT or something data plate attached. Don't take up much room. Only ~40" by 24 x 24 inches.

Score!

Another possibility is to repurpose old but still good water heater tanks for all kinds of liquid storage...

Like this...

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is my contribution to this great thread:

The rare and elusive Blitz six gallon gas can, compared to the standard five gallon can:

Six gallon can is 16in wide x 20in tall

Five gallon can is  15in wide x 15in tall

The extra gallon is great, if you find these pre-epa cans buy some. I was lucky and found the case I posted above on Craigslist for $40 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#50]

We've looked at the Jeg's type at the ATV stores and the plastic is thick, well made. The only issue we thought was the gasket in the cap seemed a little 'off', but obviously they work well.

I couldn't identify what the gasket was made of. This was abt 2 years ago. I did think at the time it could be replaced with a disk of Viton.

Personally, for a cost of about $35 with shipping for the Jeg's type of cans [I'm sure there are higher and lower prices] versus Scepter MFC's going for abt $65 shipped on ebay, I'd go with the Scepter.

Certainly they are an option... I think the 'footprint' of the Jeg's is smaller than the Scepter pattern, for similar amt of fuel stored. They are taller.

Also, I've paid $50 plus tax at the farm stores for metal Blitz style cans. Before I EVER did that again, I'd buy Scepters at the aforementioned price range.

I've also bought the red metal cans from Harbor freight up till a few years ago and they have worked fine and are presently in service.

IIRC, one of the metal cans [no idea where I bought it] with kero or diesel is seeping a barely detectable amt from the rolled seams near the bottom. Other metal cans I bought 20 yrs ago and stored volatile cleaning stuff in them, have not leaked, based on weighing them every few years. This is the kind with the flat metal cap with a flat ring gasket, the typical kind from years ago, not the current ones with a small male threaded 'spout' that uses a plastic cap.

That kind would be fine if someone made a metal cap with a Viton gasket. There is an aftermarket black plastic cap being sold on eaby now for abt an outrageous $12 each. A few years ago the caps were abt $3. I have used those caps and the metal cans to store kero or diesel. I think the rubber gasket swells with exposure to gasoline. Easy to test by putting one in a small jar with gas for a few days and looking...

We keep both the Scepter and metal cans on scraps of pink foam insulation so the concrete doesn't leech important volatile fractions out of them into the concrete causing an environmental problem.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

So the gasket makes the scepters worth almost double the price?
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 18 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top