User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 19 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No, Silly...  

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they handle better?  I'd like to start getting some fuel stored, but I'm debating more expensive cans vs more cans.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
Do they handle better?  I'd like to start getting some fuel stored, but I'm debating more expensive cans vs more cans.
View Quote

which ones?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The Scepters
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Toby,

A piece-of-scrap gas can will give you abundant frustration.

I know a guy that hauled gas in his car in some Rubermaid 5 gallon cans that he got at walmart..back in the day before the internets...back then ASG magazine did not publish a fuel can oracle.
Those cans were nothin but drama quenes; fumes, broken caps, leaking spouts
The cans were so troublesome that he quit using them and threw them away.

Now this guy has a few different fuel cans that he likes and tells folks about.
...A camp fuel bottle...Primus, MSR, whatever just get a bottle from one of the good camp stove brands...These bottles are epic for camp stove and weed eater fuel.
...A 5 liter NATO can...This is a very handy size for; filling the lawnmower, refilling the camp fuel bottle, and other odd jobs where a bit of gas is needed.
...5 gallon or 20 liter military fuel cans...you may want a truck load of these cans, but just enough to fill the gas tank of your BOV will do...My man likes the NATO top, but has put together a spout like the one on page one and two of this thread to use with his GI cans.
...Super Siphon takes the drama out of getting fuel into the BOV from a fuel can

Yes the military fuel cans with 3 handles are so much easier to use that they have been adopted by all nations that I can think of and have not had a measurable design change in the last 70+ years...just sayin.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Subscribed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#7]
So, who currently has the best price (shipped) on a five gallon metal NATO cans?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered six 20L cans from Lexington Container assuming they would be Valpro based on the photos on their site showing the cans with the imbosed V logo on the side just like the OD green cans I had gotten from Atlantic British in the years past.  i wanted to get a couple or red, a couple of yellow, and a couple of black for color coding but when I received them none of them had the embosed V.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Time to rotate the gas.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Sportsman's Guide has NEW genuine NATO 20L Fuel cans in stock for $35.99 ea. - HERE
These are military surplus in new and unused condition, NOT the Chinese knockoffs.  
Use promo code SH1757 for free shipping on orders over $49.99.  

They also have filler spouts for $8.99...they are the "military-style" knockoffs, so I don't know how good the quality is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Sportsman's Guide has NEW genuine NATO 20L Fuel cans in stock for $35.99 ea. - HERE
These are military surplus in new and unused condition, NOT the Chinese knockoffs.  

They also have filler spouts for $8.99...they are the "military-style" knockoffs, so I don't know how good the quality is.
View Quote

Dammit. Wish I'd known this before ordering from DO.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler66] [#12]
I've found out in the past when buying from Sportsmans Guide I need to really pay attention to what I bought; I've been disappointed on a few items (and satisfied with a few items also).

Are these the good cans I'm reading about?
And is this the best deal going; or should I wait a few more days?
Looking at the picture, it looks like these are the Valpro cans?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone comment on these cans?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MT94TC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409355993&sr=8-1

I know the spout is less than desirable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#14]

View Quote

They are discussed earlier in this thread - probably more than a couple of times.
(If you want to go look)

I have a couple.

Short Version: they are OK.

Longer Version: They are thinner plastic than the MFC's so they tend to swell more.
They are thicker than a wally world scepter can, so they do not swell as much as those.

The good news is that tops screw on tight and they hold pressure.
Mine have swollen a lot in the Texas heat and not leaked.

Here are two with some MFC's:

I replaced the CARB nozzles with older, non-CARB ones.

ETA:
I use them mostly as my every-day cans. I think I paid like $18ea at pepboys.
I would NOT buy them at $31.+

and I see that they are now $27 at pepboys.
I would not buy them at that price, either.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Really?

get a real can...

Old Grouch (a member here)
or
Atlantic British (not member here but good reputation too)

sell good cans

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:

Really?

get a real can...

or

sell good cans

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Really?

get a real can...

or

sell good cans

I'm trying to avoid metal cans.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

They are discussed earlier in this thread - probably more than a couple of times.
(If you want to go look)

I have a couple.

Longer Version: They are thinner plastic than the MFC's so they tend to swell more.
They are thicker than a wally world scepter can, so they do not swell as much as those.

http://imageshack.com/a/img651/594/fuelcans.jpg

ETA:

View All Quotes

(If you want to go look)

I have a couple.

http://imageshack.com/a/img651/594/fuelcans.jpg

ETA:

Thanks for the post.  I guess I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I bought one of these to check it out.  It's a nice can but not made to the same dimensions as the other NATO cans I have bought in the past from AB or Lexington.  The opening is much larger and doesn't come close to working with a standard NATO spout.  You can see this in their picture.  I didn't buy one of their knockoff spouts but I am quite sure it would not work.  The can is made of heavy gauge steel, the welds look solid and continuous on the handles and seams and the coating inside and out look nice.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I swung by Atlantic British today and picked up a couple of 20l cans and a 10l can.  The 20l cans have the Valpro logo on the side.  The 10l can doesn't, but has some text about petrol and how it is highly inflammable.  They both have the same kind of markings on the handle and the date code on the cap looks the same.  I was thinking about getting some of the Gelg cans, also, but I noticed in the photos that the handle where it attaches to the can near the spout is broken along the weld seam where the Valpro one is a continuous welded flange.  I think I like that better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#20]
If you are looking for MFCs email or IM user "spuddicus". He is selling MFCs in outstanding shape (vent tube, caps, straps and flanges all intact) for $25/ea. They have paint that will need to be removed and will need new gaskets if you want to store gas. The MFC is the Cadillac of gas cans IMHO if you don't want metal. If you do get some let me know. I've developed a pretty good process for removing the paint.

I bought 9 from him and replacement gaskets from another member here. Disclaimer: no financial interest just a happy customer.

On the complete opposite side of the spectrum in the extreme cheap category I snagged a few of these for $9/ea at Menards today. They also have them avaiable in red and yellow. Now I just need to find some replacement caps.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mko1024:

I bought one of these to check it out.  It's a nice can but not made to the same dimensions as the other NATO cans I have bought in the past from AB or Lexington.  The opening is much larger and doesn't come close to working with a standard NATO spout.  You can see this in their picture.  I didn't buy one of their knockoff spouts but I am quite sure it would not work.  The can is made of heavy gauge steel, the welds look solid and continuous on the handles and seams and the coating inside and out look nice.

View All Quotes

You are correct on all counts. Mine arrived on Thursday.
The can appears to be top quality but the filler neck is much larger.
I have a shaker siphon, so no worries there but the spout is definitely too small.
Fortunately, I have other cans that it will fit.
Mine gave out a nice hiss when opened so it definitely holds pressure. (At least low pressure)
Just a heads up, the filler cap doesn't have a locking pin, either. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but something that should be taken into consideration.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered six more cans and three spouts from Atlantic British yesterday.  They had free shipping for the Labor Day weekend.  The cans were $37 each to my door.  I already have five of their cans and have been using them for a couple of years now.  They are top notch and work perfectly.  I would highly recommend anyone interested in new metal gas cans to buy these NATO cans from a reliable source such as AB, Old Grouch or Lexington Container.  Why risk it to buy junk from Sportsman's Guide or other places like Harbor Freight and Sportsman's Warehouse?  I saw fake jerry cans at those two places for $40+ yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler66] [#23]

I have a shaker siphon, so no worries there but the spout is definitely too small.
Mine gave out a nice hiss when opened so it definitely holds pressure. (At least low pressure)
Just a heads up, the filler cap doesn't have a locking pin, either. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but something that should be taken into consideration.
View All Quotes

Mine look like they're made @ 2000-2002 with the Valpro embossing and BUND on them (German spec can???)  
They look good.
Anyone know where to get the nozzle for the larger filler neck?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By blueheeler66:

Mine look like they're made @ 2000-2002 with the Valpro embossing and BUND on them (German spec can???)  
They look good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blueheeler66:

They look good.

finding the spouts for the large filler necks is a pain......I have 10 German cans with the large necks
and never did find a spout for them.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jacksprat:
check these out and watch the video before you comment very interested in what the "experts"  think

http://www.prepandmore.com/nato-jerry-can-20l-5-28g/

Thank you
View Quote

already discussed in the thread. These are new Polish made NATO cans, very high quality
and only $34.99
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally a thread I can FAP to in SF.

This is awesome!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I skimmed through this thread and didn't see these mentioned:

http://itg-express.com/assets/cache/ebay/191292715140.html

Anyone have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Debaser] [#28]
I just receieved some surplus Scepter cans that appear to have been used for jet fuel.  All but one seem to have the grey marbled gasket, that from what I have seen is the Viton one.  Like this:

http://www.dstactical.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_55&products_id=911&osCsid=4369887848307691bfe40b69631cc0a9

One is grey, but has a different marbled appearance.  The one shown above has a large and small pattern over the whole gasket.  This other one has a single pattern.  I tried to get a photo, but it is hard with a flashlight:

And confusing me more is that the regular rubber gasket seems to have the same pattern as the Viton one, but black instead of grey:

http://www.dstactical.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_55&products_id=909

I am thinking I will just take them out and soak them in gas to confirm if there is swelling or not?  Any other advice?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#29]
Originally Posted By Debaser:
Snip
View Quote

Its just me but I'd just pony up for some new viton gaskets. I got some new ones made by a member here that work great for $5/ea.  Premium fuel cans deserve premium gaskets.

Side note. I've been buying gas and filling cans for a LONG time and I've yet to encounter an MFC in the hands of another civilian. Lots in the mil but never in the world. What up with that? Tons of you guys seem to have MFCs.

ETA: Just noticed you were the guy who I had the email conversation about cleaning. Hope you got them spick and span!

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the info!  Cleaning them up is my weekend project.  I am anxious to get started.  One has some interesting marking about aviation fuel that I am debating leaving.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

Its just me but I'd just pony up for some new viton gaskets. I got some new ones made by a member here that work great for $5/ea.  Premium fuel cans deserve premium gaskets.

ETA: Just noticed you were the guy who I had the email conversation about cleaning. Hope you got them spick and span!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
Snip

Debaser,
Get Some New Viton Gaskets From A Vendor That Has A Long Good Reputation.

Over the years rubber gaskets have been issued to the military that look the SAME as Viton.  Now for the military who cares?  If the rubber gasket breaks top of the MFC, then bah get a new MFC.  If the top of the MFC breaks and leaks diesel all over the LT's sleeping bag, then WHOHOO...Oh Oh I meant to say my sincerest condolences LT...BWaHaHa

But for you:
If that rubber gasket swells and breaks the top of your MFC, then who pays for the loss.
If the top is broken on your MFC and gas is spilled in your $$,$$$$ BOV SUV, the who has to live with the smell and damage.

email Vatopa just sayin
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Just out of curiosity, I soaked my gaskets in gasoline for a couple of days.  No change to measurements.  I wonder how long they would take to swell?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Just out of curiosity, I soaked my gaskets in gasoline for a couple of days.  No change to measurements.  I wonder how long they would take to swell?
View Quote

The neoprene gaskets swell pretty quick.

Good test

Look up the cost for a replacement internal cap though and you will understand why many of us chant Go Viton or Go Home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Good test

Look up the cost for a replacement internal cap though and you will understand why many of us chant Go Viton or Go Home.
View All Quotes

Good test

Yep, because some of the rest of us were hard heads, and had to try it the hard way.LOL

How I know:

It's much easier to be sure you have all viton gaskets than to have to order caps and gaskets....

Just sayin'  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Anybody have Red Scepter stamps they'd like to trade for some yellow ones?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Like PA says, pretty quick, a day or so, leave them in the jar longer to make sure. You may have gotten lucky and gotten Viton.

I never tried av gas with the neoprene ones but I expect it would swell them.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#37]
I was getting a gasoline smell in my garage lately from my 5 Scepter MFCs. It was time to rotate the fuel, so I used the fuel in my truck all week and refilled them. I was still getting a gasoline smell and decided to check the torque on the caps. I discovered all my flanges are split and broken??  All of the gaskets were changed out to Viton gasket when purchased.  I'm at a loss here. Need to purchase all new flanges now. Any ideas what went wrong here???  Is it possible I was sold non Viton gaskets?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Soak them and see.

That ain't gonna buff out...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Could overfilling and overtightening cause expansion making the flanges break?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Senorx:
Could overfilling and overtightening cause expansion making the flanges break?
View Quote

Extremely doubtful, considering the thickness and durometer of the gasket.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I was getting a gasoline smell in my garage lately from my 5 Scepter MFCs. It was time to rotate the fuel, so I used the fuel in my truck all week and refilled them. I was still getting a gasoline smell and decided to check the torque on the caps. I discovered all my flanges are split and broken??  All of the gaskets were changed out to Viton gasket when purchased.  I'm at a loss here. Need to purchase all new flanges now. Any ideas what went wrong here???  Is it possible I was sold non Viton gaskets?
View Quote

Where did you get the "viton" gaskets from?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#42]
This...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#43]
The top three look black and the bottom one looks grey?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#44]
Anybody just using the solid "emergency" Viton gaskets full time with te broken flange removed. The replacement flanges are pricey.

I have already contacted Vatopa for all new gaskets. This needs to be addressed ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I got them on eBay from a seller by the name of JagMte.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Well, soak them in a jar of gasoline and see what happens. Maybe your flanges were broken to begin with?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#47]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Well, soak them in a jar of gasoline and see what happens. Maybe your flanges were broken to begin with?
View Quote

It's possible, but my cans were purchased brand new. I'll soak my gaskets this weekend and post up some pics.

I just ordered new flanges. Still waiting for Vatopa to get back to me about some new Viton gaskets.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:37:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#48]

It's possible, but my cans were purchased brand new. I'll soak my gaskets this weekend and post up some pics.

I just ordered new flanges. Still waiting for Vatopa to get back to me about some new Viton gaskets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

I think you would have noticed if the flanges were broken when you swapped out the gaskets.
I replaced my MFC gaskets with ones from vatopa and have had no problems.

I would contact the jagmte guy and see what he has to say.
I wonder if this is his website? http://www.jagmte.com/

He could have sent you the wrong gaskets by mistake.
he does have 100% positive feedback on e-Bay.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#49]
From jagmte.com:

The newer post ban cans that say "For Military Use Only" cannot legally be possessed by a civilian and are subject to seizure {if you happen to run into a real hardass}.
View Quote

Anyone have insight on this statement? Doesn't DRMO sell these all the time?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I have recent purchased the disk of vitron instead of buying flanges. Haven't filled the cans yet to try them but don't see why they would work fine.
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 19 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top