Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot this yearling buck today 1" antlers

Rifle: H&R340 (Yugo Mauser 98) in .308 Win
Ammo: Federal Premium 165gr BTSP (Sierra GameKing)
Optic: Leupold VX-II 2-7x33
Range: 100m from ground blind
Time of Day: 0922, clear skies, 42 degrees
Shot went thru both shoulders and he ran 20 yds before piling up

CD
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3rdStreet] [#2]
Shot this buck on Sunday 11/4/12 on public land in NJ. He's not the biggest in the woods but he is my biggest so far. He is the second buck killed this year with the first one being my first buck with a bow. He came I to my feeder with another doe and finally gave me a shot after about 5 mins. He ran about 40 yards and dropped within eye sight. Arrow went straight through the shoulder, heart, lungs and out the last rib on the other side. It was a awesome hunt except for the fact that I was hunting alone and had to drag him a mile out alone.

Stryker 350 crossbow
Warrior broadheads
Laser IV bolts
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Shot this buck 11-8-12
Hoyt bow
Special Thanks to IIRC

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: va_gunz] [#4]
MY biggest buck yet 11 points. Heavy 18 inches wide

Edit to add rough scored him using B&C's online score calculator and came up with 150 and 2/8ths inches gross and 142 net.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ticonderoga] [#5]
Took the RRA 458 out for the first time last March and racked up some hogs, decided to give it a try this deer season.

I shot this buck on Monday morning; a gentle breeze was blowing from my direction towards the clover field I had staked out.  I heard (what sounded like) a few deer approach from the grove across from the clover but they walked off after (I assume) scenting me.

This buck came in at a 90 degree angle from my 9 to 12 o'clock.  When he came directly ahead of me, he turned my direction, raised his nose and began sniffing.  He immediately bolted the direction he came from.  I brought my 458 up and tried to track this buck as he ran.  I let out a deer grunt and he slowed to a trot while looking my direction, I steadied my shot as he continued a trot and shot him at about 65 or 70 yards as he passed my 10 o'clock position.

The 458 entered just behind the left shoulder and exited the right rib cage - bullet caught one or both lungs and the liver had a quarter size hole in it.

Edit to add: you can see that his fron left tine is broken off and he had a fresh horn stab wound in his thigh - seems this fellow was a scrapper.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
VAguns & Buhog, massive deer, really impressed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: va_gunz] [#7]
Originally Posted By Ticonderoga:
VAguns & Buhog, massive deer, really impressed.

Thanks brother this was my first "real" buck so I am floating on cloud 9. Its been a dream of mine since I was a little kid to take a nice buck and it finally happened after years of hard worl I have killed a few 15 and 16'' 8 pointers but this deer was awesome. Sadly most of my macho dickhead buddies say shit like "too bad he wasnt a little wider" or "yeah I guess I would have shot him if it was with a bow" Nobody can just be happy for a brotha!!!!!

edit to add , Ticonderoga I would have been tickled shitless to shoot that 6 pointer too! Congrats. i freakin live for this shit!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
About 15 years ago, a buddy's 11 year old kid took his first buck, a huge 11 pointer.  I'm glad I haven't gotten one like that "yet."  That kid is going to go a LONG TIME before he has a rush in hunting again.

My first was a spike and I had to do acrobatics in the tree to get it, it was exhilarating.  The next year I took a healthy 8 pointer (bigger than this one) - took it on opening 2002 and haven't hunted since.  Last week when I went to the range it was the first time (stateside) since 2003..  Been overseas in the Stan and Iraq back & forth since late '04 and this was my first hunt.  Day 3 of this season, making my two bucks 10 years and two days apart!

It took me 4 years to get the first buck (spike) & I expected to have to wait a few seasons to get another.  Took this buck hour 3 into this year's (return) season - what luck to have a return gift like this.

And so, I think I was as excited with this buck as with the 8 pointer and with the spike.  Looking at your buck(s), I think that I have a lot to look forward to and more exciting times ahead!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
About 15 years ago, a buddy's 11 year old kid took his first buck, a huge 11 pointer.  I'm glad I haven't gotten one like that "yet."  That kid is going to go a LONG TIME before he has a rush in hunting again.

My first was a spike and I had to do acrobatics in the tree to get it, it was exhilarating.  The next year I took a healthy 8 pointer (bigger than this one) - took it on opening 2002 and haven't hunted since.  Last week when I went to the range it was the first time (stateside) since 2003..  Been overseas in the Stan and Iraq back & forth since late '04 and this was my first hunt.  Day 3 of this season, making my two bucks 10 years and two days apart!

It took me 4 years to get the first buck (spike) & I expected to have to wait a few seasons to get another.  Took this buck hour 3 into this year's (return) season - what luck to have a return gift like this.

And so, I think I was as excited with this buck as with the 8 pointer and with the spike.  Looking at your buck(s), I think that I have a lot to look forward to and more exciting times ahead!

That's what its all about!!! Glad to have you back stateside and glad to have a hunter like myself that appreciates every encounter. Keep shooting brother and you will get a big one!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats to my buddy Brian and his dad David on their opening day 10 and 11 pointers in Missouri.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By va_gunz:
edit to add , Ticonderoga I would have been tickled shitless to shoot that 6 pointer too! Congrats. i freakin live for this shit!!!!!!!

I would be tickled shitless to shoot that AR, and even more to shoot that buck with it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Got this one on Thursday morning. Biggest buck I have killed so far. Shot him at about 40 yards with my muzzle loader using 100 grains of 777 and a 250 gr. Shockwave bullet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
did he have a rack fracture on the right side?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Very nice what part of the state?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goldeyeslayer] [#16]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

Very nice what part of the state?

590....musselshell area

eta:  thanks, I was happy.  that pic doesn't do him justice...the rest have me or gore  in them
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is my last deer of the season. This is the first time I have ever tagged out on deer and the most deer I have ever shot in one season. This one makes for a total of five. I shot this guy doing what I call a "stalk, stop, look, and listen" It’s what I do when I think there should be deer but I can’t find them. The snow makes it so easy to be ninja stealthy, so much so that I actually passed this guy with out him noticing. I was doing my look and listen when I saw him standing up in his bed site just 40 yards to my right rear. So I turned and drew a bead. When I pulled the trigger the shot rang out and he just dropped. Then literally a few thousand near by geese took off. That was a sight to behold.

So it has been a good season. I shot the first deer ever to be taken with my granddaddy’s Marlin 336c that he bought back in the late 40's I go to put down a deer with my P08 luger and I got to wrap my season up with my favorite rifle, my first M1 I ever bought when I was back in HS. This last deer was the first ever killed with that rifle. It does make a great brush gun.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Me and a daughter of a friend what I'm teaching to hunt had a good morning.  This is her first deer.  Got us a twofer.  I smoked the buck at a distance of about 20ft. and started yelling for her to shoot the doe.  I started yelling at the doe to get her to stop, she did and Padawan smoked the doe.  He fell literally about 5 feet from the tree we were in.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#19]
m1garand -man what was the load u used factory or handloads?
Going to take mine next year.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
A friend and I just got back from hunting an Indian Reservation in the Dakotas.  We had gone out there with high hopes of killing mulies but could not pass up these whitetails.  The top one is me and the bottom one is my friend, Chris.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/buckfever34/photo.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/buckfever34/photo-1.jpg

OH hell yes. Now those are real bucks!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m1garand__man] [#22]
Originally Posted By safemover:
m1garand -man what was the load u used factory or handloads?
Going to take mine next year.

This time I used a factory load. Remington 165 gr corlokt. I usually use my handloads but takingthe M1 was a spur of the moment choice and I have over 200 rounds of factory loads. Since I haven't done extensive tests with factory loads to see wich ones wont bend an op rod I didnt want to risk anything and tried to stick to a lighter bullet weight. I had 165gr winchester and remingtons as well as 180 gr loads by both MFG's. I figured the 180's were overkill anyway. If elk had been the name of the game I would have brought my 303 SMLE with 170 gr Federals.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:36:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m1garand__man] [#23]
A friend and I just got back from hunting an Indian Reservation in the Dakotas.  We had gone out there with high hopes of killing mulies but could not pass up these whitetails.  The top one is me and the bottom one is my friend, Chris.

Very nice whitties
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#24]

They are some big ones.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]

626yds
6.5-284, 140gr Berger, AAC Cyclone
27.5" wide. 165 1/8" overall
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Since this is the "official" thread.  

50 yards with a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Wby & 115 grn Partitions. Harper, TX.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Took the RRA 458 out for the first time last March and racked up some hogs, decided to give it a try this deer season.

I shot this buck on Monday morning; a gentle breeze was blowing from my direction towards the clover field I had staked out.  I heard (what sounded like) a few deer approach from the grove across from the clover but they walked off after (I assume) scenting me.

This buck came in at a 90 degree angle from my 9 to 12 o'clock.  When he came directly ahead of me, he turned my direction, raised his nose and began sniffing.  He immediately bolted the direction he came from.  I brought my 458 up and tried to track this buck as he ran.  I let out a deer grunt and he slowed to a trot while looking my direction, I steadied my shot as he continued a trot and shot him at about 65 or 70 yards as he passed my 10 o'clock position.

The 458 entered just behind the left shoulder and exited the right rib cage - bullet caught one or both lungs and the liver had a quarter size hole in it.

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/dsc06074.jpg

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/dsc06070-entry-hole.jpg

Thats got to be the most mass I have ever seen on a set of antlers with so few points. Crazy this deer must of been on ensure. lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cruizer:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/bwcrisp/c373364769e67c9a11afab258f0d6fbc.jpg

626yds

Nice mully I wish we could hunt suppressed here too. Well I guess you can untill you get caught. But to me it seems like the game wardens here are sneakier than my suppressors are quiet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I finally got out the other day.
I saw this guy wandering all by by his self.
I decided to offer him a ride home (he looked so lonely, and scared).
I sent him a 140gr Barnes TSX invitation (7mm-08); he just couldn't resist:

He's been a wonderful guest at meal time since.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's mine. Taken at about 150yds with a 308. 165gr sst loaded by a friend here. Only my second buck ever.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By m1garand__man:

Very nice whitties

What planet where those shot on?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By cruizer:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/bwcrisp/c373364769e67c9a11afab258f0d6fbc.jpg

626yds

Very nice shot - very nice deer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:24:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ticonderoga] [#33]

Thats got to be the most mass I have ever seen on a set of antlers with so few points. Crazy this deer must of been on ensure. lol

If you look closely, his front left tine is broken off and he had a good deep & fresh antler stab in his hip - this guy is (was) a scrapper.

New rules in Texas - can't shoot any buck unless the inside spread is 13" or greater (inside of rack must be wider than ears at attention).  This is resulting in bigger racks throughout our areas - but fewer bucks shot. I wasn't for the program when I heard about it but called one of the state biologists. I had thought that deer gained points as they aged: a deer went spike, 4pt, 6pt, 8, 10, etc. It was explained that 1 1/2 year old deer will sprout spikes, 4's, 6, 8 OR 10 points.  The result was that all of the immature 6, 8 & 10 point bucks didn't make it to mature breeding age 3-4 1/2 years + and the spikes and 4's could spread their DNA.

The biologist said that, by checking the deer taken in TX, the averages for rack spread consistently widened each year regardless of the # of points:

1 1/2 yr = 10 1/2"
2 1/2 yr = 12"
3 1/2 yr = 13"
4 1/2 yr = 14"

And so on. Sparing the deer with more points allows them time to breed.

And so, this guy has had a few seasons to widen - he would probably have always been a 6 pointer

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#34]
8 point, killed with the 6.8 at 120 yards this afternoon with a 110-grain Accubond. Quartering shulder shot, destoreyed both lungs, exited the off-side ribs, he stumbled 15 steps and died. I turned and dropped the doe that was standing at the other end of the field; another double for the 6.8.

He field-dressed 178, by far the largest-bodied deer I've ever taken:

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice buck
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]

If you look closely, his front left tine is broken off and he had a good deep & fresh antler stab in his hip - this guy is (was) a scrapper.

New rules in Texas - can't shoot any buck unless the inside spread is 13" or greater (inside of rack must be wider than ears at attention).  This is resulting in bigger racks throughout our areas - but fewer bucks shot. I wasn't for the program when I heard about it but called one of the state biologists. I had thought that deer gained points as they aged: a deer went spike, 4pt, 6pt, 8, 10, etc. It was explained that 1 1/2 year old deer will sprout spikes, 4's, 6, 8 OR 10 points.  The result was that all of the immature 6, 8 & 10 point bucks didn't make it to mature breeding age 3-4 1/2 years + and the spikes and 4's could spread their DNA.

The biologist said that, by checking the deer taken in TX, the averages for rack spread consistently widened each year regardless of the # of points:

1 1/2 yr = 10 1/2"
2 1/2 yr = 12"
3 1/2 yr = 13"
4 1/2 yr = 14"

And so on. Sparing the deer with more points allows them time to breed.

And so, this guy has had a few seasons to widen - he would probably have always been a 6 pointer

I wish more states would take this approach. Mississippi has started in that direction, too. I love to see states beginning to protect younger age-class deer. There isn't a state in the union that doesn't have PLENTY of does for meat hunters to harvest if they want meat.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Dad got one this weekend. Dad and I hunt together every weekend of the season, from archery until gun season closes. Dad rarely shoots a deer because he tends to hunt one buck at a time, but he made an exception this weekend and shot this 4-pointer that came to a grunt call.

Nice to see the old man get one.

Shot with his BAR instead of his usual Ruger No1

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Got him at 150yds while he was moving with my sporterized Remington 1917 using 150gr Fusion.  He was young for a 10 point, he field dressed at 135.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Got him at 150yds while he was moving with my sporterized Remington 1917 using 150gr Fusion.  He was young for a 10 point, he field dressed at 135.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/bikedamon/arfcom/10point_1.jpg

I'd like to see some different angles of him thats a nice lookin buck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/signal922/daddeer.jpg

Dad got one this weekend. Dad and I hunt together every weekend of the season, from archery until gun season closes. Dad rarely shoots a deer because he tends to hunt one buck at a time, but he made an exception this weekend and shot this 4-pointer that came to a grunt call.

Nice to see the old man get one.

Shot with his BAR instead of his usual Ruger No1

Dad looks like a ton of fun. I swear my dad is the same way. He doesnt give a crap if he gets a deer he is just happy to see me get one or my 18 and 11 year old nieces. It is nice to see teh old patriarch bag one every once in a while. Good hunt Pops!!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Took this deer with my new 6.8 that I completed about a month ago on Opening day of Wisconsin gun season

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#42]
My first ever. Pretty excited.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#43]
To all those that have posted these new bucks in the last few days - good for you!  And some real bruisers here!

Glad to see the a few 6.8 successes, I took a 150lb boar last Spring with my 6.8, when I get back into the country in December would love to try it on a deer (doe or spike).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ticonderoga] [#44]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

... And so, this guy has had a few seasons to widen - he would probably have always been a 6 pointer

I wish more states would take this approach. Mississippi has started in that direction, too. I love to see states beginning to protect younger age-class deer. There isn't a state in the union that doesn't have PLENTY of does for meat hunters to harvest if they want meat.

I forgot to mention that in the TX counties that have implemented the minimum spread rules, they upped the tag count for spike or antlerless.  In  a previous 1 buck 2 doe/antlerless county, they now have 1 buck + 1 spike/antlerless + 2 doe/antlerless.  In this way, a 12 year old on his first hunt who can't take a 6 pointer because it is too young can still drop a spike or 3 point deer, get some venison and/or also take does.

It really makes no sense to spare the young 6-10 point young bucks if no one culls the spikes.  Previously, everyone would pass on the spikes because you would lose your buck tag - now, spikes (3 points or less) are treated as does and are used to fill the meat locker.  A good program all around.

I'd recommend that you call your State Game department and let them know that you, as a taxpayer (their employer) would like to see this type of program.  As for who's in charge, which committee/managers make the rules and get their contact info (name, phone #, address, email address) and then post on this board, and others, a request that people from your state call, write and email them asking for a change.  These folks are usually quite receptive to the requests of their customers (us).  It may take some time, but I would think you could change state policy.  If they blow you off (which I doubt), email/write/call your governor & assemblymen & request review.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

... And so, this guy has had a few seasons to widen - he would probably have always been a 6 pointer

I forgot to mention that in the TX counties that have implemented the minimum spread rules, they upped the tag count for spike or antlerless.  In  a previous 1 buck 2 doe/antlerless county, they now have 1 buck + 1 spike/antlerless + 2 doe/antlerless.  In this way, a 12 year old on his first hunt who can't take a 6 pointer because it is too young can still drop a spike or 3 point deer, get some venison and/or also take does.

It really makes no sense to spare the young 6-10 point young bucks if no one culls the spikes.  Previously, everyone would pass on the spikes because you would lose your buck tag - now, spikes (3 points or less) are treated as does and are used to fill the meat locker.  A good program all around.

I'd recommend that you call your State Game department and let them know that you, as a taxpayer (their employer) would like to see this type of program.  As for who's in charge, which committee/managers make the rules and get their contact info (name, phone #, address, email address) and then post on this board, and others, a request that people from your state call, write and email them asking for a change.  These folks are usually quite receptive to the requests of their customers (us).  It may take some time, but I would think you could change state policy.  If they blow you off (which I doubt), email/write/call your governor & assemblymen & request review.  Good luck!

I have mixed feelings on culling spikes (because many of them aren't genetically inferior, at all....nutrition, timing of birth, etc, can play a role) but I agree that TX has a great system. MS has really improved over the years and so has TN (which is where I hunt). We used to be able to kill 10 or more bucks per year in TN. Now it's down to 3 and our age structure has greatly improved. By and large, folks in the areas I hunt don't shoot any 1.5YO's anymore now; in another 10 years I think we'll see further protection on those deer, but for now there's a generation still hunting that grew up under the 'any buck is a good one' mindset and there's no reason to alienate them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#46]
Originally Posted By va_gunz:
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/bikedamon/arfcom/10point_1.jpg

I'd like to see some different angles of him thats a nice lookin buck.

My best deer-on-ground-with-rifle pic came out screwed up, so I only have a few pics of him up on my truck, and some pics of just the head in my yard.  Here's a close-up of his rack.  He dressed out at 135, and DNR estimated him to be 3 years old.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Got this guy sunday 11/11/2012 at 10:00am in Union Kentucky. He was chasing a doe. Shot him with a 7mm at about 80 yards. He is my best buck I have ever taken. I am very proud of him. Just wanted to show everyone. He ended up giving me 109 pounds of meat. I just picked up my venison today actually.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]

First deer ever!  125 yds Remington 710 .270
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By M60forever:
Got this guy sunday 11/11/2012 at 10:00am in Union Kentucky. He was chasing a doe. Shot him with a 7mm at about 80 yards. He is my best buck I have ever taken. I am very proud of him. Just wanted to show everyone. He ended up giving me 109 pounds of meat. I just picked up my venison today actually.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/hambyjh/75930_361315457292674_1181685549_n_zps832aa313.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/hambyjh/ggggggggggggggggg_zpsa1f0c128.jpg

I love the pic of stacked meat
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top