Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2022 12:54:36 AM EDT
I was looking for a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 because I remember seeing them when they first came out.  I found articles about it's introduction 5 years ago.  Can't find them anymore.  So I started looking at some of the other production rifles.  Obviously all the hunting grade rifles all come with them.  When you look into the tactical realm, like the Springfield 2020 and the Seekins Havok, they are all in 308 or all the 6 whatevers that are popping up.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:07:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for answers.

I really want a CTR in .223 with a 20” barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Short answer? Yes. Ruger killed the 5.56 RPR in 2018. I have a feeling they’ll do the same to the American Ranch in 5.56 as well in the future.

My opinion (for what it’s worth) is that they’ve done market research and decided that caliber won’t drive sales like it used to.

I’m somewhat in the same boat. I want a 5.56/.223 bolt action to plink with however with the rapidly shrinking options I may just have one built.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve wanted a bolt 223 plinker for awhile now. Hopefully aero precision released one when their bolt action platform comes out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure I saw that Seekins was doing one of their tactical guns in 223 now on Facebook. Think it was the HIIT or whatever they call their chassis gun. Tikka still does 223 as far as I know. Ruger and Mossberg do their bolts in 223.

The RPR was a cool gun but it’s a pretty small market. I wish they’d bring it back but I don’t think it sold well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
Short answer? Yes. Ruger killed the 5.56 RPR in 2018. I have a feeling they’ll do the same to the American Ranch in 5.56 as well in the future.

My opinion (for what it’s worth) is that they’ve done market research and decided that caliber won’t drive sales like it used to.

I’m somewhat in the same boat. I want a 5.56/.223 bolt action to plink with however with the rapidly shrinking options I may just have one built.
View Quote

Why would they do away with the ranch in 556?  That is prob one of their best sellers in that line...

I do love mine - it is a fun and sweet shooter - looking to get a twin in 6.5 Grendel - ranch or predator

Red
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several 223 bolt guns. They are awesome. 223 can be loaded a lot hotter in a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I want to leverage my investment in my R700's and rebarrel them to get threaded barrels for FH/MB and suppressors, optimize twist for the ammo I have and the same with the chambers too.  I need to just focus on this topic and get the tools and order the barrels.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Just build up a custom.

That way you get exactly what you want.

It will cost you a little more, but it will be more than worth it.
View Quote
That's what I'm leaning towards.  Like a Big horn armory barreled action and a nice chassis.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mopseydocks6014:
I was looking for a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 because I remember seeing them when they first came out.  I found articles about it's introduction 5 years ago.  Can't find them anymore.  So I started looking at some of the other production rifles.  Obviously all the hunting grade rifles all come with them.  When you look into the tactical realm, like the Springfield 2020 and the Seekins Havok, they are all in 308 or all the 6 whatevers that are popping up.  
View Quote

I would go with the RA and put it in a decent chassis and you will still come in under what I paid for my .223 RPR. But I cannot answer why the bigger rifle companies have chosen not to offer tactical bolt rifles in .223 or 6.5 Grendel. Both cartridges with the right twist rate make excellent mid range practice precision rifles. Maybe people should start asking the companies in emails why they aren’t offering these cartridges in a precision rifle.

I put a RAP in 6.5 Grendel into an Oryx chassis that is as fun to shoot as my RPR in.223. And now there’s commercial magazines available.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usmcchet9296] [#11]
Yeah it's hard to find a tactical style bolt gun in .223/5.56 so I made mine, a M40 clone. Not tactical by todays standard but a cool retro tacticool
IMG_0667 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

I onder if Berga makes a .223 model. It shares the same footprint as a Remington but without the crappy QC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I would go with the RA and put it in a decent chassis and you will still come in under what I paid for my .223 RPR. But I cannot answer why the bigger rifle companies have chosen not to offer tactical bolt rifles in .223 or 6.5 Grendel. Both cartridges with the right twist rate make excellent mid range practice precision rifles. Maybe people should start asking the companies in emails why they aren’t offering these cartridges in a precision rifle.

I put a RAP in 6.5 Grendel into an Oryx chassis that is as fun to shoot as my RPR in.223. And now there’s commercial magazines available.

https://i.imgur.com/nWBRRdV.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/nWBRRdV.jpg

One reason is that feeding doesn't seem to be guaranteed with the Ruger 223 guns when fed from AICS mags. The Precision Rifle didn't suffer from that and I have no idea why that is. Magpul has warnings on their stock and mag to not use them on Ruger American 223's. Even the other mag companies acknowledge the issue but last time I checked none would guarantee theirs would work either.

Magpul warning
Due to the feed geometry dictated by the .223 Remington cartridge and the Ruger American overall receiver length, this magazine is not recommended for use in the Ruger American rifle. While it will be possible to insert the magazine into Ruger American rifles that accept AICS-pattern magazines, function and reliability may be heavily compromised.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

One reason is that feeding doesn't seem to be guaranteed with the Ruger 223 guns when fed from AICS mags. The Precision Rifle didn't suffer from that and I have no idea why that is. Magpul has warnings on their stock and mag to not use them on Ruger American 223's. Even the other mag companies acknowledge the issue but last time I checked none would guarantee theirs would work either.

Magpul warning
View Quote

I think the feeding was the reason Ruger pulled the .223 in the RPR. It's not as reliable as the larger caliber RPR's. The RAP feeds well with these in 6.5 Grendel https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc/ They are expensive...
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]

I think the feeding was the reason Ruger pulled the .223 in the RPR. It's not as reliable as the larger caliber RPR's. The RAP feeds well with these in 6.5 Grendel https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc/ They are expensive...
View All Quotes

Magpul warning

Have you seen reports of feeding issues? Back when I was looking it seemed like the RPR didn't have the issues and people were generally happy with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#15]
Howa makes the 1500 mini action in an Oryx chassis in .223/5.56. The one I have is a sub MOA. I have printed 5 shot groups in the .3 MOA with it and with certain factory loads it will print .5 MOA with regularity. I am just getting setup to reload so I look forward to improving the consistency more with it. I worked with the stock trigger for a bit then switched to a JARD 6oz. That was all I have done with it. The mags can be loaded out to 2.55" for heavier bullets. Twist is 1:8.

I think the demise in popularity of the .223 is tied to the surge in 6mm offerings. They don't recoil much more and reach out to 1000yrd accurately.

I spent a couple of years looking for a decent tactical .223. Brass and bullets are cheap and the round is accurate out to 600yrds if the conditions are fair. The 6mm guns are tempting but are not cheap and many chamberings are wildcat. My range is capped at 300yrds so the .223 works for me on the economy scale.

As suggested my conclusion that if I wanted another I was building one. It's really not that much more at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
Howa makes the 1500 mini action in an Oryx chassis in .223/5.56. The one I have is a sub MOA. I have printed 5 shot groups in the .3 MOA with it and with certain factory loads it will print .5 MOA with regularity. I am just getting setup to reload so I look forward to improving the consistency more with it. I worked with the stock trigger for a bit then switched to a JARD 6oz. That was all I have done with it. The mags can be loaded out to 2.55" for heavier bullets. Twist is 1:8.

I think the demise in popularity of the .223 is tied to the surge in 6mm offerings. They don't recoil much more and reach out to 1000yrd accurately.

I spent a couple of years looking for a decent tactical .223. Brass and bullets are cheap and the round is accurate out to 600yrds if the conditions are fair. The 6mm guns are tempting but are not cheap and many chamberings are wildcat. My range is capped at 300yrds so the .223 works for me on the economy scale.

As suggested my conclusion that if I wanted another I was building one. It's really not that much more at the end of the day.
View Quote

Hindsight being what it is I definitely wish I'd have gone Howa but I did that very thing when I picked up a 300. At this point I think I'm back to leaving 223 in my AR's and focusing on my 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor for bolt stuff. If I do decide on a 223 I'll most likely just grab a nice action and not do a budget build maybe even in 223AI.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:37:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#18]

Have you seen reports of feeding issues? Back when I was looking it seemed like the RPR didn't have the issues and people were generally happy with them.
View All Quotes

Magpul warning

The last round on my RPR sometimes goes a bit higher and I have to slow down and reposition. I have the same issue with the RAP with the plastic magazines. The metal AICS magazines work better. Other than that little hiccup I love my baby RPR. My RAP may feed a little better due to it being designed for AR magazine’s. I still think the 6.5 Creedmoore feeds better due to the double stack magazine. It being more like a box magazine.

Edit: Barrel length I think hurt the.223 RPR being 20” it cut a little velocity. But I run mine suppressed and the barrel length wasn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Hindsight being what it is I definitely wish I'd have gone Howa but I did that very thing when I picked up a 300. At this point I think I'm back to leaving 223 in my AR's and focusing on my 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor for bolt stuff. If I do decide on a 223 I'll most likely just grab a nice action and not do a budget build maybe even in 223AI.
View All Quotes

Now you’re talking. 1-7 twists and 80gr bullets and you will be a happy camper. I just can’t bring myself to ream my RPR just yet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Now you’re talking. 1-7 twists and 80gr bullets and you will be a happy camper. I just can’t bring myself to ream my RPR just yet.
View All Quotes

White Oak used to offer barrels. Think he had a 22 Nosler listed recently so maybe he could cut you a custom one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#21]
The Howa Mini is offered in 223 with the tacticool set up.  I've got one with a "normal" synthetic stock and it is a MUCH better rifle than my Ruger American
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
The Howa Mini is offered in 223 with the tacticool set up.  I've got one with a "normal" synthetic stock and it is a MUCH better rifle than my Ruger American
View Quote

Cabelas had a bunch of the kryptek factory blems for $450 a few years back. Should have snatched one up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]

White Oak used to offer barrels. Think he had a 22 Nosler listed recently so maybe he could cut you a custom one.
View Quote

With this kinda accuracy I just can't bring myself to mess with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I'm a big fan of not messing with what works
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Funny I came here to ask the same question.  Buddy is going to take us prairie dog shooting, thought it would be more interesting to get a bolt action rifle vs. another upper for an AR15.  All mine max out at 16" anyway.

Would like it threaded so it can take a can.  Seems like Howa and Bergara are the only commonly found options out there.  There are Browning and Winchester in less than bull profiles that are threaded.  But the Browning is only 18" long.  Would like 20" minimum.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I went down this rabbit hole a few years back.  Had too many other projects and not enough money to build what I wanted.  I really wanted to build something on a pre-64 Winchester.  Even bought a donor rifle that started as a 22 hornet and was opened up and rechambered to 222.  Thought it would be a neat "little brother" to my FN SPR.  Sadly funds ran short and I had to sell that rifle.

Still have a Win Coyote punched to AI, as well as a CZ that's punched.  Also a custom built Sako Vixen.  But the mag box on it is so small I can't shoot the big high BC bullets.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#27]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
Funny I came here to ask the same question.  Buddy is going to take us prairie dog shooting, thought it would be more interesting to get a bolt action rifle vs. another upper for an AR15.  All mine max out at 16" anyway.

Would like it threaded so it can take a can.  Seems like Howa and Bergara are the only commonly found options out there.  There are Browning and Winchester in less than bull profiles that are threaded.  But the Browning is only 18" long.  Would like 20" minimum.
View Quote

My uncle took a Bush Master Varminter with 24” barrel 1-9 twist and my dad took the mini 14 accuracy works custom with a 20” 1-9 twist on our last prairie dog outing and they had a blast. I forgot how many rounds they went through but it was about three times as many as I did. I took a bolt.243 and.223 and they were shooting poodles out from under me.
Now I would love to take the.223 RPR on a prairie dog hunt.

I don’t have enough signal to post gun pron so I will have to do that later.

There’s the custom mini.
Photo link in case the other doesn’t work
There’s the Savage .223 I used.

And my uncle’s bushmaster
And the baby .223 RPR next to the 6.5 Creedmoore

I’m not sure what is going on with the links.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Demise? LOL I hardly think the .223 is in that tough a situation. Just because factory rifle offerings aren't great doesn't mean it's dead or even dying. I know a lot of people who shoot the .223 in matches and for trainers including myself. I have shot mine to 1150 yards in matches. With the 75 ELDs it's not hard. It does great well past 600. I only shoot the 75 to stay in Tac but if you shot 88s in it the .223 is very close to the 6mm offerings popular in matches now. I have a friend who shoots .223 with 88s in open against 6mms and does really well.

If someone is wanting to get into a .223 then you can put one together with a Bighorn Origin, shouldered prefit, trigger and stock/chassis of choice and get it just like they want it. Will be more than a factory offering but also will be better and the savings in shooting the .223 will add up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/IMG_2713_2_-2622108.jpg
View Quote

After hunting factory options this is exactly what I did. Had the barrel profiled to take my AEM5 can as well. I'm super happy with it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Just do a custom…

I have a bighorn origin with a proof prefit in 223.   1:7 twist barrel, g2 razor, mpa chassis.   I run aics mags.

Running 75 gr bthp, I can put 10 rounds into a 3/8” group every damn time at 100yds.  Scary accurate.   I’ve taken it out to 1k and even put up a top 5 prs event finish competing against 6s and 6.5s.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
The guy I sold my 6.5C RPR to still laughs at me about it.

My 5.56 RPR is on my Do Not Sell list.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Demise? LOL I hardly think the .223 is in that tough a situation. Just because factory rifle offerings aren't great doesn't mean it's dead or even dying.  
View Quote

I was referring to the demise of factory bolt gun offerings in .223. Not the cartridge itself. With the popularity of AR's it is as popular as 9mm.

As I stated just has you have building one is the most viable path to acquiring one. The rub is that bolt guns are not AR's when it comes to build complexity. Just like ammunition some reload but the vast majority does not.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I was referring to the demise of factory bolt gun offerings in .223. Not the cartridge itself. With the popularity of AR's it is as popular as 9mm.

As I stated just has you have building one is the most viable path to acquiring one. The rub is that bolt guns are not AR's when it comes to build complexity. Just like ammunition some reload but the vast majority does not.
View Quote

Other than the RPR going away it still seems like there are lots of good options. Seems like most of the big companies make one.
Tikka
Savage
Remington
Ruger
Mossberg
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Yup bolt guns are easier to build than ARs.
View Quote

They just end up costing more.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]

And shoot a lot better too.
View All Quotes

They just end up costing more.

Not if you spend enough cash.  
Honestly no matter what you spend you can get close but not better.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Yeah they are way more forgiving than the AR platform.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#39]
The truth is that the majority of the people who shoot don't handload. As a result, most people shooting 223 will stick to an AR platform. Conversely, most of the people who want to handload 223 with longer heavier bullets that won't fit in an AR are probably also building their rifles and not looking for a factory option that doesn't have everything they want. I think sometimes we forget that the firearms industry is generally just a group of businesses trying to sell a product with as broad a market appeal as possible, and that the members of this and other gun forums are the minority of that customer base.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JerseyRaised:
Just do a custom

I have a bighorn origin with a proof prefit in 223.   1:7 twist barrel, g2 razor, mpa chassis.   I run aics mags.

Running 75 gr bthp, I can put 10 rounds into a 3/8" group every damn time at 100yds.  Scary accurate.   I've taken it out to 1k and even put up a top 5 prs event finish competing against 6s and 6.5s.
View Quote
Can you post a picture of that?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#41]

Lol yeah you will spend thousands to get an AR to shoot as good as most factory rifles. And to keep them shooting like that. Bolt guns are just easier to get to shoot accurately.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mc556:

Not if you spend enough cash.  
Honestly no matter what you spend you can get close but not better.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/A48FD701-129F-4AE1-84A5-4F2FDB883278_jpe-2628749.JPG

Lol yeah you will spend thousands to get an AR to shoot as good as most factory rifles. And to keep them shooting like that. Bolt guns are just easier to get to shoot accurately.

Your correct it’s not easy even when you spend the money
 My rifle has been constantly shooting in the 1/2 moa now that I have some loads dialed in.   I haven’t shot a moa all day yet but I will try next range session .
I spent at least $2300 building it myself not including optic mount or suppressor.    I could have done a Bighorn/Prefit for the same money but I already have one.  
 Not apples to apples it’s in 6.5C but it’s just as good to much better without being that picky on ammo.

My AR is pretty picky to get the smaller groups.  77smk with n135       It shoots the 69s ok but they open up more towards a 3/4-1 moa      My 6.5c bolt gun shoots anything 130g and above.     I plan to pick up a .224 barrel and bolt for the bighorn eventually
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Now you guys have me thinking.  I was planning to get the tools and buy some remage barrels and nuts and replace the barrels on my R700 SPS Tactical .223 and .308 rifles with barrel & nut contour that fits in the existing Magpul Hunter stocks they are in.  If possible, find a decent R700 in .30-06 and do it at the same time or afterwards and I would have full compatibility with my main rifle ammo in 5.56, 7.62/.308  and .30-06 (Garand and M1903).  But wondering would it be better just to sell the R700's as is and get new receivers and barrels and mount in a decent, but cost effective, chassis?  Would probably skip the .30-06 and just stick with bolt guns in 5.56 and 7.62/308
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#43]
223 bolt guns are a riot.  Good 223 bolt guns are even more fun.

With 75 grain pills , you can get to 1k.   600yds is pretty easy.    If there is wind, that will test you.   If it’s calm, 223 is a fairly capable round despite what the internet will tell you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Yup bolt guns are easier to build than ARs.
View Quote

That's exactly what I was going to say.

With minimal research, it's very easy to select parts that work together.

Screw barrel on to action.  Two pins to install trigger.  Two screws to assemble barreled/triggered action into chassis.

Much easier than an AR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#45]

I agree Rob01 and what Hoser said, build a custom.  Of all the rifles that I own, I shoot the 223 the most.

The other thing that hurt the RPR is that Ruger stayed with the large firing pin.  They should have used a small pin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I love my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56.  It's a great platform for my old Sufefire 556AR suppressor.  I cloned the Blackhills Mark 262 5.56 cartridge with a 77gr SMK over 25.2 grains of A2520, loaded to max mag length. The rifle puts 10 rounds under 0.9" suppressed.  I filled the stock with a slurry mix of epoxy and airsoft BB's to firm it up and get rid of the hollow sound...added about 1.5 lbs to the rifle. Topped it with an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 FFP MIL scope.  Glades armory bolt knob and a 2lb trigger job using a Bic pen spring.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#47]

https://i.imgur.com/PieDL8i.jpg
With this kinda accuracy I just can't bring myself to mess with it.
View Quote

What distance is that?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Savage offers their .223 low profile varmint in 1:7 twist. A person could keep it stock or i guess throw it into one of those chassis set ups. Perhaps have the barrel and receiver refinished in a more "tactical" color or just rattle can it. A bolt lift kit would help with that issue as well. Out of the box it's probably more accurate than most will be able to consistently shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]
My 223 bolt guns(16" SPS(1/9) & Model 7(1/12)) are my favorite guns. I wish they came from factory w/ faster twist for heavier bullet, but they both do well with the 55gr BT I feed them. I need to pick up a model 7 in .308...
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RAINBOW6:

What distance is that?
View Quote

100 yards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top