User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 79 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Yeah I couldn’t let it go. Glad I didn’t jump at the $899 CDNN sale.

My luck though they’ll be $499 by the end of the month
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goalieMN:
Grabagun has the 6mm Creedmoor and the 5.56/223 for $799

Looks like I will be finally joining the ranks officially. 6mm inbound
Jeez, at that price I had to jump on the 6mm version.
Yeah I couldn’t let it go. Glad I didn’t jump at the $899 CDNN sale.

My luck though they’ll be $499 by the end of the month
Nah.  I just think the RPR Target market already has one in 6.5 and the hard-core shooters have customs in 6 already so they didn't sell as well as anticipated.

There's no freaking way they go for much less new.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Id LOVE to pick one of these up in 6.5cm.....wish theyd put that caliber on sale for 799 or 899....lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone tried the silicone stretch tape on the grip? I have read the thread and seen way back where someone used friction tape. But I still haven't found a grip that is as comfortable as I would like. I had some stretch tape so I used the little I had left. I kinda liked the feel so I'm going to try and escape today to get some more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
For 815 bucks out the door, this 6mm Creedmoor RPR is amazing.

I just ordered a hundred rounds of the 108g match on and some dies.  Gonna mount my Weaver 6-30 on it and bang some steel!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Question for those of you that have replaced the forearm with a Seekins SPR rail, are all of the SPR3 versions compatible with the RPR when using the Seekins barrel nut?  I noticed there are versions 2 and 3 of this rail.  I’m thinking of trading a guy for one locally but not sure which version it is.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

Question for those of you that have replaced the forearm with a Seekins SPR rail, are all of the SPR3 versions compatible with the RPR when using the Seekins barrel nut?  I noticed there are versions 2 and 3 of this rail.  I’m thinking of trading a guy for one locally but not sure which version it is.
View Quote
I went with the Midwest 18in.

I'm pretty sure seekins made a rail that was RPR specific.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:24:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mayorbilk] [#7]
The seekins are compatible  by using the seekins ruger precision  barrel nut I believe.replaced mine a month ago.Just don't like keymod  on the original.You may want to talk to seekins,just don't try on a friday,they are short staffed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered one online in 6mm Creed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:
Just ordered one online in 6mm Creed.
View Quote
Haha Grabagun snagged another fool
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
The price made it easy to justify.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTRob65] [#11]
I am in the process of replacing the handguard on my Gen2 RPR with a Midwest Industries 18" handguard.

Do I need to remove the barrel nut in this photo

or does MI's barrel nut go over Ruger's barrel nut as in this photo?

I'm inclined to say MI's nut goes over Ruger's nut, but the directions sound like I have to remove Ruger's nut.

Thank you

Eta: All set now and the handguard is installed and looking great
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
^ I want to say i left the one barrel Nut on and put the MI on it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTRob65] [#13]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:
View Quote
I did a quick test fit and everything looked "proper". I scoured the internet to see if I could find a picture of the backside of MI's handguard which would show Ruger's barrel nut (or the lack of it), but was unsuccessful.

eta: I found the pics I needed
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CTRob65:
I am in the process of replacing the handguard on my Gen2 RPR with a Midwest Industries 18" handguard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197930/rpr-1-473676.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197930/rpr-2-473678.jpg

I'm inclined to say MI's nut goes over Ruger's nut, but the directions sound like I have to remove Ruger's nut.

Thank you
View Quote
Just remove the front nut.  The other one remains in place.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Mine arrived today.  It was worth it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197930/rpr-1-473676.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197930/rpr-2-473678.jpg

Thank you
View Quote
Looks like you’ve already found the answer.  If you still have any doubt, no, do not remove the Ruger nut.  That’s the barrel nut and if you turn it at all you will need to re set the headspace.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Picked up my   RPR 6.5c  today

Upgrades ordered  so far ( already went over my budget)

Replace stock grip with a Magpul moe+  
Install a ATN xsight II 5-20x
Install a UTG heavy duty recon 360  bipod

On my to do list when I get more funds

Possibly replace the butt stock  with a Magpul PRS
Purchase a hard case
Purchase more magazines ( any one have links to deals ?)
Swap out the barrel for a Monolithic Integral Suppressed Barrel
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine has finally hit town! Picking it up tomorrow.

What are the best mags (10 rounders) for the 6.5 CM?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I did a quick test fit and everything looked "proper". I scoured the internet to see if I could find a picture of the backside of MI's handguard which would show Ruger's barrel nut (or the lack of it), but was unsuccessful.

View All Quotes

I've got an 18" MI coming... I looked at the Seekins and the Paper City (and the Carbon Fiber Lancer, for that matter), but wanted the longer 18" and it appears only MI offers one right now.  I had been holding off since my RPR is cerakoted in FDE, but went ahead and ordered one this week.  Anyway will give it a try and see how it runs :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Debated for a while and decided on a .308 as I have brass and bullets all over the place.  I had some loads laying around and sighted in my scope.  I got pretty lucky as my loads worked well with the rifle.  Only 50yds, but a dime size group with no work on my part will make this a hell of a nice shooter once I take it out a bit.  The load was 42gr or 4895 with 155 CC.  I have no more of that powder but enough RL15, Varget and XBR to come up with something.  I can't go beyond 300 and at this point I'm pretty happy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By marko16:
Debated for a while and decided on a .308 as I have brass and bullets all over the place.  I had some loads laying around and sighted in my scope.  I got pretty lucky as my loads worked well with the rifle.  Only 50yds, but a dime size group with no work on my part will make this a hell of a nice shooter once I take it out a bit.  The load was 42gr or 4895 with 155 CC.  I have no more of that powder but enough RL15, Varget and XBR to come up with something.  I can't go beyond 300 and at this point I'm pretty happy.
View Quote
Where were you shooting?

I only have 100 yards in the cities. Can't wait to get it up north and actually shoot it as intended.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Looks like the bolt shroud popped off. Did you read the instructions on how to remove and reinstall?  If it's the new replacement I'd put the old one back on. I can't remember the exact amount of twist to remove but it isn't much. And the same is true to reinstall. Otherwise you drop the firing pin. Then it's a pain recocking the thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Looks like the bolt shroud popped off. Did you read the instructions on how to remove and reinstall?  If it's the new replacement I'd put the old one back on. I can't remember the exact amount of twist to remove but it isn't much. And the same is true to reinstall. Otherwise you drop the firing pin. Then it's a pain recocking the thing.
well took it out last weekend,  Shroud came off again, as its broken.  thankfully there is a recall for my shroud.  Link To Recall
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mjrowley:

well took it out last weekend,  Shroud came off again, as its broken.  thankfully there is a recall for my shroud.  Link To Recall
View Quote
Thanks for the heads-up on that recall.

FWIW, my $799 6mmCM special from Grab-A-Gun is a newer production with 1803 prefix serial number, and not subject to the recall, so apparently they are not clearing out "old" rifles with that deal.

Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By marko16:
View Quote
I go to Cokato every Friday.  You can get 300 there but only on certain days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I have gen1 RPS 6.5 and i love it , last week i hit my first 1000 yard shot on steel and i was thrilled , almost did a dance. Ive had 0 problems out of the rifle , i cant say enough good stuff about it for the price
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettingstarted] [#26]
what is everyone using for a case ?

Hard  or Soft case  ?
Folded or Unfolded  when in the case?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
Mine has finally hit town! Picking it up tomorrow.

What are the best mags (10 rounders) for the 6.5 CM?
View Quote
Standard Magpul 308 PMags
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gettingstarted:

Hard  or Soft case  ?
View Quote
Case options run the gambit from what I have seen so far and seems to be personal preference. I haven't seen a soft case being used yet, but see no reason why it couldn't be used provided you used care with it.

I use a Plano case that is long enough to transport the RPR unfolded. Yes, it is long, but I already had the case and use it for other rifles also.

I would like a dedicated case some day with cut-out foam. That case will be long enough to transport the rifle unfolded.

I don't see anything wrong with the rifle being folded in a case. It's just my preference to open the case up and see the RPR being presented unfolded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Hard  or Soft case  ?
View Quote
Soft Case.  Unfolded.

Currently on Sale at Midway USA - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584/midwayusa-sniper-drag-bag-tactical-rifle-case
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Hard  or Soft case  ?
View Quote
Plano

Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Hard  or Soft case  ?
View Quote
None so far it's set besides me in the jeep just in case a pig was to show up on the hay meadow. I think the RPR is jinxed I have yet to test it on a pig. It's toolong for the overhead gun rack.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone seen any goo deals on the RPR in 6.5 lately?  Need a rifle, scope, rings, etc.  I have been on GB pretty much daily but nothing special in the 6.5 offering
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#33]
What Bipods do you all recommend?  Just placed an order for an RPR in 6mm Creed
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Soft Case.  Unfolded.

Currently on Sale at Midway USA - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584/midwayusa-sniper-drag-bag-tactical-rifle-case
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

Hard  or Soft case  ?
Soft Case.  Unfolded.

Thx!  Great d al at $50, also had to order more m855 Ammo while there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#35]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

New MK5 5-25 H59 in a spuhr mount.

Very impressed with the glass.

Re-mounted my scope base as well.

Found out ruger does NOT loctite the screws.  They were covered in oil, possibly due to leaching from the receiver...but still torqued.  Had a nice "pop" when they broke loose.

De-greased, applied blue loctite, and torqued.  Ready for a re-zero and a few more seasons hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AR] [#36]
Originally Posted By Frogg3r:
View Quote
I use a larue/Harris, I’ve been extremely happy with it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a Caldwell knock off yesterday and was pleased with the performance on the RPR 223. I finally got it off layaway Whoopi!
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 2:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamiltbl2] [#38]
I took the 6CM out for the first time this morning. I forgot my rear bag so all shooting was done prone with just an Atlas bipod on the front. Ammo used was Hornady black 105 BTHP.

I know one shot is not counted. I pulled it pretty bad so I decided not to count it.

Overall I would say that the rifle has the potential to be a shooter. I wish I hadn’t forgot my rear bag so I could have tested it better.

Here’s a three shot group.

I will post chrono data later.

What do you guys think is the best way to single load?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Frogg3r:
View Quote
I had a GG&G xds bipod laying around that I would use on multiple rifles.

I have really liked it over the years and it now resides on my .308 RPR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#40]
Originally Posted By mjrowley:

Thx!  Great d al at $50, also had to order more m855 Ammo while there.
View Quote
I odered one as well, I have the 50" version which was great for my Rem 700 308, but on the edge of being to short for the 24" RPR so I ordered a 56".  It's a decent, offshore/china made back pretty much same as VT, Condor, Drago, etc...  At a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost of the upscale brands like TT, it will work fine "dragging" from my trunk to the range :).
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
I've got an 18" MI coming... I looked at the Seekins and the Paper City (and the Carbon Fiber Lancer, for that matter), but wanted the longer 18" and it appears only MI offers one right now.  I had been holding off since my RPR is cerakoted in FDE, but went ahead and ordered one this week.  Anyway will give it a try and see how it runs :)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Well the MI arrived, and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed... it came out of the box with some scratches around the barrel nut end and around the torx bolts - almost as if somebody installed it, didn't like it and returned it - but, it had the green inspected by sticker sealing the box, so I guess it came from Midway that way.  Anyway it's going back to Brownells - probably just going to stick with the stock one for a while longer - it's never given me any issues and cerakoted along with the rest of the rifle, so I've decided it's not really worth the hassle for 3 more inches.  I do have the Timney Trigger coming, however.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, I just got one for my RPR Gen 1 6.5 Creed.

Very solid unit, and I like that I get a lower center-of-gravity and it's more stable with the way it mounts vs. the Harris I have been using.

My .02
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Talyn:

Yes, I just got one for my RPR Gen 1 6.5 Creed.

Very solid unit, and I like that I get a lower center-of-gravity and it's more stable with the way it mounts vs. the Harris I have been using.

My .02
View Quote
The only issue I've had with mine is that I wish its legs were about 2" longer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#44]
First time reloading here. I have everything I need to physically do it. Is there a place with more consolidated data on peoples recipes? I know each rifle is different, just looking for a good starting point
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gerkyn:
First time reloading here. I have everything I need to physically do it. Is there a place with more consolidated data on peoples recipes? I know each rifle is different, just looking for a good starting point
View Quote
Everyone reloads differently. For a long range round I start a couple grains short of published max and work up until I start getting pressure signs (primers or sticking bolt). Then I back off .5 to 1 grain and play with seating depths.

I want the fastest load, not necessarily the one that groups the best. As long as the SD is there and the vertical spread is good as I call care about.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTRob65] [#46]
I recently installed the V-Tab-R adjustable stock on my RPR and brought it to the range today for the first time after installing it.

The V-Tab would not stay locked in place and slid up and down on each shot I took. It made for a short range day

I came home, removed it and reassembled everything as per the instructions (which I did the first time as well).

Upon reassembling I simulated recoil by a light hit on the end of the stock and again it slid up and down. It did not lock into place at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did I receive a faulty product?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:35:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#47]
When your stocks are folded and locked, how much play is in it? I have about 3/8's play from the cheek piece lock nut hitting the receiver to where the lock stops it going outwards. New 18028, MLOK version.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#48]
My gen I .308 had some wiggle in the butt stock folded and unfolded. I contacted Ruger. Suggested I send it back to them on their dime. Rifle was in their shop for one day, and had it heading back to me the day after. Repair notes said they replaced the folding mechanism and test fired the rifle before they boxed it up for the return trip.

Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
When your stocks are folded and locked, how much play is in it? I have about 3/8's play from the cheek piece lock nut hitting the receiver to where the lock stops it going outwards. New 18028, MLOK version.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Picked up my .223rem mounted a Hawk Sidewinder on it.

I don't believe it's as accurate as the 6.5 Creedmoor but it's showing potential.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
View Quote
Are you saying yours has play when it is locked in position?
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 79 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top