BCM
User Panel

Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 81 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
I am seeing more people installing the MPA EVG grip. I had read it has to be modified to work with the RPR.

For you guys that have installed it, what has to be modified?
View Quote
I have the MPA EVG - Love it! No modifications necessary for it to work with the RPR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#2]
Originally Posted By troy_v:

I have the MPA EVG - Love it! No modifications necessary for it to work with the RPR.
View Quote
OK thanks.

Someone had posted they had to modify theirs to install it.

ETA - I looked and they were running an ambi safety and it will not work with that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lonewolfgun:
10% off RPR parts at Brownells use coupon MDW
View Quote
Less than $250 for a Brownells brand 26" barrel.

I wonder who's blanks they use.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Something about it makes me think Faxon, for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys think the brownell barrels are root to go?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ilaybrk] [#7]
So your saying the Mpa Evg will not work on the new models with the ambi safety and what would have to be modified I was looking to order one for my new M lock model version
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#8]
Originally Posted By ilaybrk:
So your saying the Mpa Evg will not work on the new models with the ambi safety and what would have to be modified I was looking to order one for my new lock model version
View Quote
Someone else had an issue with an aftermarket ambi safety.

Here is it installed from the side -

And from and angle -

From the pics you can see it is not just a straight version of a Magpul or BCM grip. It has a shelf for your thumb and piece your trigger finger wraps around. This places the trigger finger for a more consistent pull using the correct part of your finger.

My trigger pull is @ 1lb per a Lyman digital gauge. With a Magpul MIAD on it I do not feel any creep. With this grip I can feel a CH of creep.

I ran out of the 130g Prime I have been shooting and picked up some 140g American Gunner to try. I am going to clean it tomorrow and if the cold/rain/snow stops here I will be shooting it next week. So far with the dry firing I like it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Pretty tempting since I have that 6mm Creedmoor I got on sale. Still only be in the gun less than $1100 with both barrels.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
So I bought the 6mm CM RPR. What would you say are necessary upgrades? Already have glass, rings, and bipod. What else?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Do any of you guys have a part number for a bore guide for RPR 308 I can only find universal ones except this one that is way expensive  http://www.pmatool.com/pma-rod-guide-ruger-precision-rifle-308/   I have this one in my cart but would like to see what other guys are useing
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a Possom Hollow guide for my 6.5.

Call them to order as the RPR ones are specific to the RPR.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tinytim54:
So I bought the 6mm CM RPR. What would you say are necessary upgrades? Already have glass, rings, and bipod. What else?
View Quote
Timney trigger
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 59chevy:
Timney trigger
View All Quotes
Timney trigger
Dies and reloading equipment, if you're not already set up.  Oh steel targets at distance are fun. So start scrounging up plate steel as cheap as possible. Then build or have someone build stands.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Dies and reloading equipment, if you're not already set up.  Oh steel targets at distance are fun. So start scrounging up plate steel as cheap as possible. Then build or have someone build stands.
View All Quotes
Timney trigger
Dies +1

I just ordered steel targets off amazon prime (6,8,12” gongs)

Next weekend I’m heading off to find looonnngggg range spots.
I’ll build the A-frames this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ilaybrk:
Do any of you guys have a part number for a bore guide for RPR 308 I can only find universal ones except this one that is way expensive  http://www.pmatool.com/pma-rod-guide-ruger-precision-rifle-308/   I have this one in my cart but would like to see what other guys are useing
View Quote
I have a Lucas boreguide
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I 2nd the Timney Trigger, I put it off for a while but when I got it and shot I was like... why did I wait so long lol... went front stringing groups out a bit to nickel sized holes right away, consistently, and that's with American Gunner off the shelf ammo.  I also bought Forster dies and components, etc but to be honest AG is shooting so well I haven't even unboxed them yet.  I also have a PRS stock, but that is just personal preference.  I added a Accu shot Mono Pod but to be honest I think I prefer shooting with a rear bag.  No changes to bolt or aftermarket shroud or anything like that though.

Unfortunately my Viper 6-24 PST reticle was shifting, I sent it back to Vortex this week for repair, so am down for a few weeks it appears.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Timney trigger it is! The straight trigger is interesting. Never shot with one before. Anyone have any experience with it? Or should I stay with the curved?

Steel targets are a must. Just dropped a bunch of coin on steel targets, flappers and the like.

Reloading is in the works.

Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Timney trigger it is! The straight trigger is interesting. Never shot with one before. Anyone have any experience with it? Or should I stay with the curved?

Steel targets are a must. Just dropped a bunch of coin on steel targets, flappers and the like.

Reloading is in the works.

Thanks for the info guys!
View Quote
I personally like the straight triggers better than the curved. Just feels better to me. Might be worth a shot trying it out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#21]

I personally like the straight triggers better than the curved. Just feels better to me. Might be worth a shot trying it out.
View Quote
I have a flat trigger in my RPR and a Geissele flat trigger in one of my ARs.  I love how they feel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Potato pick, but that is how it sits for now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#24]
FFP vs SFP - since my PST 6-24 is back at Vortex for Warranty Service, I tossed a spare NF NXS 3-15x50 on the 6.5 RPR this past weekend.  I know I'm stating the obvious, but the difference in glass/clarity is huge, so much that I'm thinking of leaving the NXS on it.  I can only reach out to 800 max around here and rarely turn the mag higher than 12x or so...

The NXS is SPF, and I thought I recalled a post here talking about the benefits of FFP on the RPR (which or course now I can't find, but iirc it was basically saying always use FFP for Long Range, which i get) - but for punching paper at known distances, would it really matter?  I'm not using the FFP reticle to estimate range, so why not just use a SFP?

Of course, just to muddy the waters, I also have the same 3-15x50 NXS in FFP as well, but I have it on a clone rifle which it is correct for.  So I do have a FFP NXS available, technically... but need convincing on why I need FFP on the RPR :).  And will I miss that 24x top end at 1000 or less?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
FFP vs SFP - since my PST 6-24 is back at Vortex for Warranty Service, I tossed a spare NF NXS 3-15x50 on the 6.5 RPR this past weekend.  I know I'm stating the obvious, but the difference in glass/clarity is huge, so much that I'm thinking of leaving the NXS on it.  I can only reach out to 800 max around here and rarely turn the mag higher than 12x or so...

The NXS is SPF, and I thought I recalled a post here talking about the benefits of FFP on the RPR (which or course now I can't find, but iirc it was basically saying always use FFP for Long Range, which i get) - but for punching paper at known distances, would it really matter?  I'm not using the FFP reticle to estimate range, so why not just use a SFP?

Of course, just to muddy the waters, I also have the same 3-15x50 NXS in FFP as well, but I have it on a clone rifle which it is correct for.  So I do have a FFP NXS available, technically... but need convincing on why I need FFP on the RPR :).  And will I miss that 24x top end at 1000 or less?
View Quote
I use a Gen II 5-25 SFP on mine in conjunction with Strelok. It's alright if I'm not in a hurry. I can see the benefits of FFP but my wife bought the optic and she meant well. Maybe some people better educated than I will weight in. My thinking being wind calls is where the FFP would really shine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamiltbl2] [#26]
And will I miss that 24x top end at 1000 or less?
View All Quotes
The main advantage of FFP is that you can range at any magnification power, if you're not ranging with it or using it in a LPV then it's not a really a "need"
15x will be fine for hitting steel/paper at a thousand. If you're shooting F-class targets (5" x-ring) you will probably want more power
I use a Gen II 5-25 SFP on mine in conjunction with Strelok. It's alright if I'm not in a hurry. I can see the benefits of FFP but my wife bought the optic and she meant well. Maybe some people better educated than I will weight in. My thinking being wind calls is where the FFP would really shine.
How would a FFP help with wind calls?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:
The main advantage of FFP is that you can range at any magnification power, if you're not ranging with it or using it in a LPV then it's not a really a "need"
15x will be fine for hitting steel/paper at a thousand. If you're shooting F-class targets (5" x-ring) you will probably want more power
View All Quotes
Hold off will be the same no matter the power setting. So if you have a two moa hold off it will be the same on 5 power as 25 power.  With the SFP the hold off grows as you decrease power. Or that's my train of thought.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Hold off will be the same no matter the power setting. So if you have a two moa hold off it will be the same on 5 power as 25 power.  With the SFP the hold off grows as you decrease power. Or that's my train of thought.
View Quote
Wasn't thinking about holdovers. That would be another advantage to FFP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Well after waiting 6 months through Experticity I finally have my PST Gen II.  I haven't really done anything with this rifle since I got it 2 years ago but now that I have a scope for it I'm going to put a Magpul PRS on it, a MLOK handguard and swap out the Surefire brake for a SiCo ASR to mount my suppressor on it once it clears jail.

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettingstarted] [#30]
Originally Posted By gettingstarted:
Picked up my   RPR 6.5c  today

Upgrades ordered  so far ( already went over my budget)

Replace stock grip with a Magpul moe+   DONE
Install a ATN xsight II 5-20x  Waiting for my Nikon black FX 1000 6-24X50 M Illuminated Reticle FX-MOA with  Nikon black Cantilever 1Piece - (20MOA) MSR Height 30mm and Nikon Switchview Black 30mm Throw Lever (16418)   to be delivered
Install a UTG heavy duty recon 360  bipod  DONE

On my to do list when I get more funds

Possibly replace the butt stock  with a Magpul PRS
Purchase a hard case Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 42-Inch   DONE
Purchase more magazines ( any one have links to deals ?)  DONE
Swap out the barrel for a Monolithic Integral Suppressed Barrel
View Quote
I have a Seekins Ambi safety  and  Catalyst Arms RPR Mag Release Extension on the way

I installed a = Magpul Industries Tripod Adapter Fits Metal M-LOK Hand Guards & Forends, Black Anodized Aluminum . I will say that the rifle is so damn heavy ( unloaded and no scope)  that I do not think that quick release base will handle the weight when its all set up ....  so I ordered a =Hammers Soft Bean Bag V Mount Gun Rest Attachment with 1/4-20 and 3/8 Camera Thread for Positional Precision Tripod Shooting Sticks   to go on my tripod.  ( it also makes the tripod usable for other platforms  )

Does anyone have any feed back on this rubber bumper from Midway   the hot link seems to be not working .. copy and paste this link  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/775705/ctk-precision-stock-bumper-ruger-precision-rifle-aluminum-black

Any other good upgrades  that people have found ?  I Plan on using this silencer system  once I financially can afford all the costs.

Once I get it all set up with scope etc  I  will do the custom fit into the hard case ( have the rubber plasti spray/dip )
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Yeah I think I'll keep the FFP on it - the Vortex came back good as new so I'll leave things as they are for now...
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Took a couple buddies out shooting this weekend.

They fell in love with the RPR 6.5, one of them is looking to sell his 700 sps? .308 now and get a RPR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:
Took a couple buddies out shooting this weekend.

They fell in love with the RPR 6.5, one of them is looking to sell his 700 sps? .308 now and get a RPR.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't even take my 308 to the range anymore hardly... Shame it's a nice rig too lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Yeah, I don't even take my 308 to the range anymore hardly... Shame it's a nice rig too lol.
View Quote
X2! Mines in the gun safe over at Mom's. It needs a thermal optic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Talyn:
Is anyone running a Seekins ambi safety selector in their RPR?

Does it fit better than the orginal safety on the Gen 1s?
View Quote
Got a Seekins Ambi Safety and it wouldn't work contrary to advertising.

Nice quality but the selector barrel wouldn't line up properly to fit into the trigger unit slot.  Tried every possible way to do it but no cigar.

Disappointed
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#39]
.223 Remington.  I was popping primers and the throat was too shallow on my original rifle. Ruger paid for it to go back and they sent me a new one.  They even paid the FFL xfer fee.

Now, I'm not popping primes.  This was the "larger" of the two groups I shot with it.    I'm really not that great of a marksmen, either.  Really.

21 gr XBR
Lapua new brass (not even fire formed yet)
75 Gr Hornady OTM projectile
credit card individual 400 primer

100 yards

IMG_20180516_135148 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152204522@N02/]

Here is the smaller one.

IMG_20180516_125218 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152204522@N02/]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn that thing looks like your driving tacks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Used to all that eyeball shooting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Had a guy show up to a private LR course last weekend with a 6.5CM RPR topped with Vortex Razor HD 5-25x50 MRAD, fed Prime 130gr Berger ammo.

He had no rifle shooting experience other than maybe some plinking.

Found out he was Left eye dominant and wouldn't be shooting Right handed at all.

Started with fundamentals, grouping exercises, dot drills, timed drills, then worked over the steel from 200-1000yds all day on Day 1.

All his hits were center-punches like I rarely see people center-punch.

The dope I generated for the Prime 130 Berger load was literally dead-on without any vertical deviation from what the program kicked out, using the box-printed mv of 2851fps.

The rifle printed consistent sub-3/4 100yd groups for sport.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I see the 5.56, 6mm and the .308 RPRs on sale for $899 right now.  I really had my heart set on a 6.5C but for $899 a .308 sure is looking pretty good.  the 6mm just doesn't have enough ammo availability yet for me to get onboard i think
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By splogan:
I see the 5.56, 6mm and the .308 RPRs on sale for $899 right now.  I really had my heart set on a 6.5C but for $899 a .308 sure is looking pretty good.  the 6mm just doesn't have enough ammo availability yet for me to get onboard i think
View Quote
Buy the .308 and shoot it some. See if you like the rifle. If so then swap out the barrel for a 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Buy the .308 and shoot it some. See if you like the rifle. If so then swap out the barrel for a 6.5CM.
View Quote
 Thats actually a really good idea.  I had not thought about having it rebarrelled and I am already set up for .308, I have not waded into the 6.5 game yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I like the idea of having the .308 barrel on hand so if something happened you should always be able to find a NATO round.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#47]
ARFcom has spent my money again!

RPR mod 18029 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP in Seekins extra high rings.
Attachment Attached File

Rounds 5, 6 and 7 after getting the scope dialed in with the first four. Hornady American Gunner 140gr. BTHP at aprox. 100 yds. prone, no rear bag.
Attachment Attached File

Better groups should obviously be possible if I do a better job but I'm happy with this as a baseline.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
ARFcom has spent my money again!

RPR mod 18029 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP in Seekins extra high rings.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/407188/20180606_110737_RPR_65CM-567522.JPG

Rounds 5, 6 and 7 after getting the scope dialed in with the first four. Hornady American Gunner 140gr. BTHP at aprox. 100 yds. prone, no rear bag.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/407188/20180606_110305_target-567523.JPG
Better groups should obviously be possible if I do a better job but I'm happy with this as a baseline.
View Quote
It took mine a bit to settle in
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Mine too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine too.
View All Quotes

Mine too.
Just out of curiosity, can you quantify "a bit?" Are we talking 10-20 rounds or 40-50+?

I'm sure it's probably been discussed in this 80+ page thread but I'm late to the party and haven't found the page with the table of contents.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 81 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top