User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since I was at a range that doesn't allow pictures, nope. They were going into the chamber, just not completely. The PMag wasn't resting on the bench (upward pressure). I may try a lot more breaking in on everything with lube and hand cycling + different mags. With it still occurring after the bolt catch was broken and clear, I can pretty much rule problems with that out. I did notice a little chip/channel on the top rear of the magazine follower. Perhaps the mag seats too high and is causing resistance.
So guessing parts to troubleshoot are 1. mag 2. gas block 3. buffer?
View Quote

Does it look like this one

If so the bolt is outrunning the magazine.  Could be either overgassing or a weak mag spring, or the mag is seated too low.

If the bolt is catching the base of the cartridge, is the nose of the round entering the barrel extension?  If so, how far?  Is the shoulder of the round catching on the breech or somewhere on the barrel extension?  

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/MCgCyX6.jpg

If so the bolt is outrunning the magazine.  Could be either overgassing or a weak mag spring, or the mag is seated too low.

If the bolt is catching the base of the cartridge, is the nose of the round entering the barrel extension?  If so, how far?  Is the shoulder of the round catching on the breech or somewhere on the barrel extension?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since I was at a range that doesn't allow pictures, nope. They were going into the chamber, just not completely. The PMag wasn't resting on the bench (upward pressure). I may try a lot more breaking in on everything with lube and hand cycling + different mags. With it still occurring after the bolt catch was broken and clear, I can pretty much rule problems with that out. I did notice a little chip/channel on the top rear of the magazine follower. Perhaps the mag seats too high and is causing resistance.

Can't see at work. When I get home I will try to manually cycle from that mag and another and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can't see at work. When I get home I will try to manually cycle from that mag and another and see what happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where it's getting jammed up with FTFs. Mind you, this is manually running the CH and fully dropping it. I could get 8-9 to go before this would happen. Also, should a mag's follower be capable of catching the bolt WITHOUT the bolt catch?

Where it hangs up

without bolt catch, bcg will hang up on magazine follower
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks to me like your mag might be sitting too high.  I'd try a different brand first.  If that doesn't work it's probably your lower.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks to me like your mag might be sitting too high.  I'd try a different brand first.  If that doesn't work it's probably your lower.
View Quote

Hoping it's the mag, which is too bad because... Magpul

What all mags work with the Aero lower?
Has someone had mag problems before?
and can someone measure from the top lip of the lower to the top of the mag catch cutout?

ETA: Looks like you are right on Josh, I have found several reviews and places online (not from here though) of people with DPMS, S&W, and other 308s not working with M3 PMags, for reasons described as "magazine impacting the bottom of the BCG" Looks like I might be selling a bunch of new M3 PMags soon. Still would like some other recommendations for other mags.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey fellas,

I'm trying to complete my .308 build and have learned a lot from this thread. I need some help finishing it though and have a few questions.
So far I have:
Aero Upper/lower
Aero BCG
Charging handle
M5 Upper parts kit
M5 Buffer kit from Schuyler Arms (great sales on Aero M5 stuff)
18" Ballistic Advantage Barrel

I've been over seas since starting this build, so I haven't seen any of it yet, and can't wait to get home to put it all together. I want to take advantage of the holiday sales and complete my weapon and have all the parts ready for me at home. So here in lies my questions based off reading this entire thread 4-5 times.
1. Will I need a new buffer tube? I've seen reports of the BCG hitting the rear threads.
2. What LPK should I buy? I was planning on buying Aero's LPK but from what I gather I will need a seekins mag release button, Anything else?
3 I plan on buying a Syrac adjustable gas block. Any comments?

THANKS!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey fellas,

I'm trying to complete my .308 build and have learned a lot from this thread. I need some help finishing it though and have a few questions.
So far I have:
Aero Upper/lower
Aero BCG
Charging handle
M5 Upper parts kit

I've been over seas since starting this build, so I haven't seen any of it yet, and can't wait to get home to put it all together. I want to take advantage of the holiday sales and complete my weapon and have all the parts ready for me at home. So here in lies my questions based off reading this entire thread 4-5 times.
1. Will I need a new buffer tube? I've seen reports of the BCG hitting the rear threads.
2. What LPK should I buy? I was planning on buying Aero's LPK but from what I gather I will need a seekins mag release button, Anything else?

THANKS!
View Quote

1.  You shouldn't need a new buffer tube, but a different buffer might be needed if your BCG is hitting the threads.  I'd recommend the same as was recommended to me...go to heavybuffers.com and order Slash's xtra heavy buffer and spring.  Its worked great for me.  Eliminated my BCG hitting and reduced felt recoil.  

2.  Aero's LPK has the advantage of having the extended takedown pins, but there have been a couple reports of the bolt catch breaking (likely improper heat treat).  I'd suggest buying an extra mag catch at the same time you're buying the Seekins mag release button (yes, you want one) to save on shipping costs.  Seekins also make an excellent .308 muzzle brake, the ATC.  You could throw one of those in, too.  

3.  No experience with Syrac, but when I was researching adjustable gas blocks, reviews indicated that they worked fine.  I decided to go with an SLR Rifleworks on mine; just a matter of personal preference.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]

1.  You shouldn't need a new buffer tube, but a different buffer might be needed if your BCG is hitting the threads.  I'd recommend the same as was recommended to me...go to heavybuffers.com and order Slash's xtra heavy buffer and spring.  Its worked great for me.  Eliminated my BCG hitting and reduced felt recoil.  

2.  Aero's LPK has the advantage of having the extended takedown pins, but there have been a couple reports of the bolt catch breaking (likely improper heat treat).  I'd suggest buying an extra mag catch at the same time you're buying the Seekins mag release button (yes, you want one) to save on shipping costs.  Seekins also make an excellent .308 muzzle brake, the ATC.  You could throw one of those in, too.  

3.  No experience with Syrac, but when I was researching adjustable gas blocks, reviews indicated that they worked fine.  I decided to go with an SLR Rifleworks on mine; just a matter of personal preference.  
View Quote

Thank you. Any suggestion where to get those from other than Seekins website? Also, I read a couple reports of M3 Pmags not working very well with the Aero lower, is this still true?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you. Any suggestion where to get those from other than Seekins website? Also, I read a couple reports of M3 Pmags not working very well with the Aero lower, is this still true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For Seekins stuff, try AIM Surplus, Primary Arms, or DSG Arms.
On the M3 Pmags, I'm not sure, maybe someone else can chime in.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

also had my Aero bolt catch break in the first 50 rounds, they are sending me a replacement though
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey fellas,

So far I have:
Aero Upper/lower
Aero BCG
Charging handle
M5 Upper parts kit

THANKS!
View Quote

I just finished my Aero M5 lower build and would personally not recommend buying any LPK. You're likely going to want a better pistol grip, better trigger and as you mentioned a different mag release. Buy individual parts when Aero puts them on sale. You can buy springs and pins from brownells. Overall you'll save money because you're not buying anything twice. I bought the LPK and I ended up using several of the parts but I'm ending up with an extra mag release button, extra pistol grip and an extra trigger. Probably not a whole lot of wasted money, but I wasted money and have parts I'll likely never use.

BTW, Geissele is having a black friday sale and their G2S trigger will be on sale for $115.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I just finished my Aero M5 lower build and would personally not recommend buying any LPK. You're likely going to want a better pistol grip, better trigger and as you mentioned a different mag release. Buy individual parts when Aero puts them on sale. You can buy springs and pins from brownells. Overall you'll save money because you're not buying anything twice. I bought the LPK and I ended up using several of the parts but I'm ending up with an extra mag release button, extra pistol grip and an extra trigger. Probably not a whole lot of wasted money, but I wasted money and have parts I'll likely never use.

BTW, Geissele is having a black friday sale and their G2S trigger will be on sale for $115.
View Quote

Thanks for the info! I wish you hadn't just told me that, I bought a 4# trident trigger two weeks ago Had I have known Geissele was having that sale I definitly would have went with that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#14]
So what all mags have people had the best luck with the Aero receiver set? I've tried M2 20 round mags and M3 20 and 25 (the M118 version) with no luck in any.

IMI was said to be gtg

What about Lancer, 10 round PMags, or specific steel/aluminum mags?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what all mags have people had the best luck with the Aero receiver set? I've tried M2 20 round mags and M3 20 and 25 (the M118 version) with no luck in any.

IMI was said to be gtg

What about Lancer, 10 round PMags, or specific steel/aluminum mags?
View Quote

I would think Magpul mags would be good to go since it is DpmS style.

Also I just bought a Aero set and will the regular ar grips fit on this. I have never built a 308 AR so I dont know what can be used from a 5.56 AR.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Regular grips will fit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Well....for $270 shipped for a stripped lower, assembled upper and aero LPK I will be doing my build on an aero set. Had almost talked myself out of a large frame semi all together till I saw the sale. It's less than Schuyler arms Black Friday sale which is impressive as they normally have the lowest prices on AP stuff.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Do BCM 7.62 charging handles still need to be sanded for clearance or has that issue been fixed?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could either raise the notch in the mags or lower the shelf on the catch.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure if anyone saw it yesterday but Aero was running a black friday special on these...$269 for upper and lower receiver set with aero upper and lower parts kits.  Pretty good deal from what I have seen.  Not sure if they are still running it but wanted to pass it on if anyone was interested.

edit.  Link still seems to be active and available.      

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-combo-set-lpk-black-friday.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried a Ballistic advantage Barrel. I found one that is a 18 inch governrnent mid length for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried a Ballistic advantage Barrel. I found one that is a 18 inch governrnent mid length for cheap.
View Quote

BA is good to go. I have the 18" on one, building a 16" now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have a pic of the finished upper? I am trying to see about the rail and gas block on a Mid.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may actually try the latter. I'm sitting on $150 in PMAGs
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pmags dont work with this rifle?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all I've ever used in mine with no issues.
I'm guessing the mag catch may be out of spec or the lower.
If the same issue happens with other mags, I'd look at sending it back to Aero for a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this true?
Just might have to go a different direction now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:51:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is this true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this true?

Yes they work, I have 3 rifles built on the M5 receivers and they all work with pmags
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody get in on the Black Friday sale at AP? I pieced together a complete M5 on their website for $964 shipped:

- M5 complete FDE lower with BCM stock and grip $309
- M5 complete FDE upper, 16" CMV melonite gov't profile bbl, 12" m-lok handrail $580
- AP nitride BCG $215
- AP charging handle $30
- 15% discount on final total, free economy shipping = $964.74

Sale is still going, you can get into a complete rifle for as little as $900.99 or you can mix and match barrels, handguards, lower, BCG.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anybody get in on the Black Friday sale at AP? I pieced together a complete M5 on their website for $964 shipped:

- M5 complete FDE upper, 16" CMV melonite gov't profile bbl, 12" m-lok handrail $580
- AP nitride BCG $215
- AP charging handle $30

Sale is still going, you can get into a complete rifle for as little as $900.99 or you can mix and match barrels, handguards, lower, BCG.
View Quote

Mine looks like this so far-
Schuyler arms BF-
M5E1 builder set Cerakote FDE- 375
BA 18" Barrel 144.00

AIM BF-
Magpul UBR - 199.00

Primay Arms BF-
Troy HK style folding BUIS set in FDE - $110.
Red Barn Armory BF
Mid length Gas tube $7

Still need -
308 CAR buffer / spring
LPK / grip / trigger (probably get a geiselle tomorrow on CM sale for 115)
BCG
Adjustable gas block
Brake (if I dont use my 51T)
Charging handle (BCM etc etc)

Estimated total with a G2s trigger, Magpul UBR, Nice high end charging handle and troy FDE sights:
About $1150.
Take out the UBR, the G2S, and the sights and upgraded charging handle for all standard equipment and the price drops to about $800-$850

Compare that to what M5 complete rifles are going for and youre doing well.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Conversely - does anyone know of a vendor that sells Aero TD / pivot pins and bolt catches for the M5 besides Aero? Id rather not pay full price and $7 shipping on 3 ounces of pins.

Id have just got them on the 15% off sale, but they are OOS on the bolt catch, and Id have had to pay more shipping (another 7 bucks?) to get it later.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Schuyler arms BF-
BA 18" Barrel 144.00

AIM BF-
Magpul UBR - 199.00

Primay Arms BF-
Red Barn Armory BF
Mid length Gas tube $7

Still need -
308 CAR buffer / spring
BCG
Adjustable gas block

Estimated total with a G2s trigger, Magpul UBR, Nice high end charging handle and troy FDE sights:
About $1150.
Take out the UBR, the G2S, and the sights and upgraded charging handle for all standard equipment and the price drops to about $800-$850

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- AP nitride BCG $215
- AP charging handle $30

Schuyler arms BF-
BA 18" Barrel 144.00

AIM BF-
Magpul UBR - 199.00

Primay Arms BF-
Red Barn Armory BF
Mid length Gas tube $7

Still need -
308 CAR buffer / spring
BCG
Adjustable gas block

About $1150.

I had originally planned to go with the Schuyler upper/lower set, but then I figured I can get all factory matched and assembled parts from Aero so if I have problems it cannot be blamed on my building skills or using incompatible parts. I was also able to shave a few ounces off my build by opting for the AP/BA factory bbl and a 12" handguard. Should be right around 8 lbs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a few things during BF sales to complete my 308:

Aero 16" black complete upper with 12" MLok
Aero charging handle (I'm a lefty, so I may upgrade this down the road)
AIM NiB BCG
SLR adj gas block
Saker muzzle brake

Already had:
M5 lower
Aero LPK
Aero 308 buffer kit
Larue MBT trigger
Seekins ambi safety

Anxious to get the BF purchases and get this thing put together.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread peaks my interest. Since I started reading this thread I have bought a M5 lower /upper combo , Parts kits for the lower and upper, a Ballistic Advantage 18 inch govt mid- length barrel and a few Pmags for it. I am now on the hunt for a gas block, gas tube, stock and rail. I am guessing I will need a mag release button since the Aero one has issues?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This thread peaks my interest. Since I started reading this thread I have bought a M5 lower /upper combo , Parts kits for the lower and upper, a Ballistic Advantage 18 inch govt mid- length barrel and a few Pmags for it. I am now on the hunt for a gas block, gas tube, stock and rail. I am guessing I will need a mag release button since the Aero one has issues?
View Quote

I plan to use the seekins one. I like them anyway and they are longer.  Seems lot of guys use them
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much in your same boat.  The M5 deals totally changed what I spent my BF money on.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Can someone confirm that what I have listed will work, so I am not wasting my money.......   Thanks

This

in mid length I don't know if stainless would be better
This

I plan on a Aero handrail so I know that will fit.

and as for a stock I was told that any AR stock will fit as long as it is a buffer that is made for a 308. I am looking at the magpul ubr.

and this badboy

and maybe a ambi safety since I am a lefty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can someone confirm that what I have listed will work, so I am not wasting my money.......   Thanks

This

in mid length I don't know if stainless would be better
This

I plan on a Aero handrail so I know that will fit.

and as for a stock I was told that any AR stock will fit as long as it is a buffer that is made for a 308. I am looking at the magpul ubr.

and this badboy

and maybe a ambi safety since I am a lefty.
View Quote

The mag release will work.  The gas block and tube will work with the BA barrel.  The UBR will work, you'll need a DPMS style .308 buffer.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Is everyone using this to install the barrel or something else? Not sure I wanna spend $200 for one .308 build lol.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is everyone using this to install the barrel or something else? Not sure I wanna spend $200 for one .308 build lol.  

https://geissele.com/reaction-rod-ar-10-sr25.html

View Quote

If you've got the money go for it. I can't afford that so I go with the ghetto ways and just make sure I apply equal opposing force when torquing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#41]
so I cut down the top side of a mag catch that I had laying around - BCG dragging across the top is no longer a problem, however, now catching a round to feed is. I guess I need to order a few more mag catches and figure the happy medium to have dremeled off.

this is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The mag release in my LPK from Aero was extended.  That said, I used a Seekins button anyway...
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Admittedly, I haven't read every single reply in the thread but are there any range reports in this thread?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#47]
It looks like I found the sweet spot on grinding down another magazine catch. Hand cycled fine with about 30 rounds in PMags. Now off to the range when I get a chance to test in true function and hopefully start dialing in any gassing issues.

Glad all of these PMags I bought aren't going to be a waste

If the gun's action is working reliably, does the gas system really need any adjustment?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It looks like I found the sweet spot on grinding down another magazine catch. Hand cycled fine with about 30 rounds in PMags. Now off to the range when I get a chance to test in true function and hopefully start dialing in any gassing issues.

Glad all of these PMags I bought aren't going to be a waste

If the gun's action is working reliably, does the gas system really need any adjustment?
View Quote

.308 recoil can be kind of hard on components while cycling.  You can minimize the wear and tear by dialing in the gas system to function reliably without over-gassing.  
This can also help minimize felt recoil, which saves wear and tear on you, too.  It's also nice in that you can adjust if you're working up some hot loads vs. banging steel with under-powered range fodder.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#49]
nvm
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#50]
If anyone still needs a BCG, Schyuler Arms black Friday sale is still going on and they have the AP NiB BCG at a pretty steep discount.  I also grabbed a AP carbine buffer tube, spring and buffer kit from them as well.  Just need to get a barrel, hand guard, gas block, and Griffin Armament taper mount muzzle break.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top