Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, I was going to ask you if you were stazi's troll account.

Right, that would make sense, seeing as he joined BEFORE me. www.akforum.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/sogay.gif

Nice reach though.....

By two months...big deal.

He seems to think I started a troll account 3 yrs prior and it only has 59 posts since then.

This thread has gotten off topic. Do you have anything to say regarding the thread topic at hand, or were you just here to be a wet blanket DWFAN?...

I'm here to pay attention to the happenings in regard to counterfeit products so I don't potentially get screwed over if I decide to purchase one of these on the EE.

Personally, I would stay away from used Eotech or Aimpoint optics unless the person you are buying from them is reputable, because of the realistic looking forgeries running around right now on the internet.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have both clone a real aimpoint 3x There is no differance that i can tell.Except the more money.I have them on my colt m4 .No probrems with ether. The clone is a clear as real one .I don't see why people bash the clones? their a good  deal for someone not wanting to spend $500

Any chance you could toss them each on a scale with gram or smaller resolution?  Seems like plastic internals would weigh a good bit less than metal ones.

I'd ask if the clone has metric hardware, but I'm assuming the Aimpoint also has metric hardware, being Swedish.  Dang foreign manufacturers!

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have both clone a real aimpoint 3x There is no differance that i can tell.Except the more money.I have them on my colt m4 .No probrems with ether. The clone is a clear as real one .I don't see why people bash the clones? their a good  deal for someone not wanting to spend $500

Any chance you could toss them each on a scale with gram or smaller resolution?  Seems like plastic internals would weigh a good bit less than metal ones.

I'd ask if the clone has metric hardware, but I'm assuming the Aimpoint also has metric hardware, being Swedish.  Dang foreign manufacturers!

Or pics of both would be nice. View through the scope, and of the logo areas etc.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone who has both tell me if the clone will fit in the same mounts the real one does? In other words....are they an EXACT clone of the real thing?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got the magnifier in today, and my larue mount is coming on monday. I'll snap some pictures then.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, I was going to ask you if you were stazi's troll account.

Right, that would make sense, seeing as he joined BEFORE me. www.akforum.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/sogay.gif

Nice reach though.....

By two months...big deal.

He seems to think I started a troll account 3 yrs prior and it only has 59 posts since then.

This thread has gotten off topic. Do you have anything to say regarding the thread topic at hand, or were you just here to be a wet blanket DWFAN?...

I'm here to pay attention to the happenings in regard to counterfeit products so I don't potentially get screwed over if I decide to purchase one of these on the EE.

Personally, I would stay away from used Eotech or Aimpoint optics unless the person you are buying from them is reputable, because of the realistic looking forgeries running around right now on the internet.

I'm not worried about any used equipment as I only buy new.

My concern is someone possibly pawning off these very close counterfeits as the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't like the Aimpoint/Eotech magnifiers prices either but I would not buy a clone.  We can debate what the actual cost of the real magnifiers should be.  Since we do not know how much money Aimpoint and Eotech have spent to produce these and how many they have made so far, why do folks assume they know what the actual price and effort involved really is?  Their market is the LE/MIL crowd.  Its gonna cost bucks.  Since the Chicoms just copy it, why do you think they can produce them so cheap (ignoring the slave labor wages).  In the end, it all comes off as whining by those who want the real thing but won't pay the going rate.  Heck, I want an NF 3.5-15X right now and don't like the price.  Is it my place to demand they sell it to me cheaper because someone can make a clone cheaper?  Its your money, do as you like, but that is not for me.  

For me, the difference is what will happen if you drop the clone versus the real deal while mounted on a weapon.  For a range gun, it probably doesn't matter.  But if your gun sees hard use from training or in hostile environments, I want the real thing just for that peace of mind.  My guns are used primarily for recreational purposes and on a serious note kept around for any SHTF scenarios.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Any range reports ?????
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any range reports ?????

+1
I just found these, and now I'm curious.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I was just talking to a buddy about magnifiers the other day.  We regularly shoot in a 2-gun match where a red dot w/ a magnifier would be perfect.  I was bitching about how Aimpoint gets waayyy too much for a monocular and figured that the ChiComs would get on the stick before long.

They don't need to stick counterfeit Aimpoint and EoTech logos on these to sell them though.  There's definitely a market for a less expensive magnifier.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was just talking to a buddy about magnifiers the other day.  We regularly shoot in a 2-gun match where a red dot w/ a magnifier would be perfect.  I was bitching about how Aimpoint gets waayyy too much for a monocular and figured that the ChiComs would get on the stick before long.

They don't need to stick counterfeit Aimpoint and EoTech logos on these to sell them though.  There's definitely a market for a less expensive magnifier.

+1

And I don't think anybody here is advocating that counterfeiting is ok. Clones = ok Counterfeiting = not ok
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
The 3x magnifier fits perfectly on the larue mount and it lines up great with my eotech 553. I wish I could snap some reticle pictures but its frigging hard to do. All I can say its very clear, and I look forward to taking it to the range.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/546/img0027qi6.jpg
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 3x magnifier fits perfectly on the larue mount and it lines up great with my eotech 553. I wish I could snap some reticle pictures but its frigging hard to do. All I can say its very clear, and I look forward to taking it to the range.

img512.imageshack.us/img512/546/img0027qi6.jpg

That looks awesome! Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Does that work with the 512?  I thought you needed to raise the scope in order for the LaRue Pivot mount to co-witness with an EOTech?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Really.  I does anybody know if the hight dimensions for the 553 and 512 are the same?  I've been looking to see what set up would enable a 3x magnifier to work with the 512 for a long time now.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one of the Ebay ones and I have a 512.  When it gets here I'll find out if it lines up or not and let everyone know.  Anybody know how long it takes to get here from Hong Kong?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]
about 5-6 days
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish it only took 5 - 6 days.  I ordered one to try on Dec 2nd and it still isn't here.  The seller shipped it on Dec 5th, which the tracking number confirmed, and it still isn't here.  It made San Fransisco by the 10th, and nothing since.  I am hoping for delivery today.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine was also shipped on the 5th, and still net here yet,

About the line up of the magnifier, I found out that the 553 has a quick release mount that is 7mm taller than the 512.  So, they won't line up exactly without a new mount like a LaRue or maybe GG&G.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got mine last night, I had an extra Sampson flip mount so I mounted it to that behind my aimpoint ML3 and it will not line up correctly, I have a real 3X mulitipyer and it is hard to tell the difference from the two except for the front part, and my real one dose not have a flip up cover. In looking at the mount it seems that the plate on the clone is not strait and when mounted to my sampson it angles upward and will not light up. I am now going to find another way to mount it. I will say that it is very clear, not as clear as my real mag. I also have a clone eotech magnifier and the aimpoint close is much brighter, I have yet to get either clone to work with either an aimpoint or eotech, they are clear and seem to be well built but they are hard to mount. the eotech is not the same tube as the real one and that is why I bought this aimpoint clone, but this thing will not mount correctly using my sampson mount. Back to the drawing board for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mine was also shipped on the 5th, and still net here yet,

Mine shipped on the 3rd and showed up today. Fits perfectly in a Larue pivot mount. Scope looks well made for the price. Bright and clear. Hopefully it will hold up as good as it looks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine arrived today and the glass is pretty good and clear edge to edge.

I tried the twist mount and it was a little under an 1/8 too low for my setup.  I had a second matching height burris 30 mm ring and it mounts perfect.  I got it mounted and went to the range about 30 minutes before dark.

I shot a quick group at 25 yards and was rewarded with a ragged one hole group.  I shot a total of two mags and it did very well in very low light out to 200 yards.  I could not tell if I was getting hits at 250 or not--I could not hear them or I missed.

The heads on the steel targets are 6 x 6 and these were no problem at 100 yards.

I was also pleased that it had sat inside all day and no signs of foggy even though it was below freezing and snowing when I was shooting.

I've played with it some more tonight and have found that it seems to work better the closer it is to the optic.  I have them set to wear it is touching the plastic of the scope cover and it is for all purposes one unit when mounted.  It just seems a little crisper this way--but I am having trouble explaining it.

Eye relief is pretty tight and I don't think I would try it on a .308 as it will probably result in scope eye.

No aimpoint markings on it anywhere.

It does bring out the blue tint on My SPOT scope as I had never noticed it before but do with the magnifier.  I am not sure if the mag is a full 3x but it looks to be real close.

Overall, right now, it seems well worth the $80 I spent so far.  It will get used a lot and I'll see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
All you guys that are appalled that the Feds won't shut down the counterfeiting need to step back and realize that our government won't even deport 20 million illegal foreign invaders, much less go after a Chinese company (in China no less). But if that was a US citizen doing the same thing, Lord help ya. If you were born here you are not an alien "super citizen" and you are not immune from random and harsh prosecution for all kinds of legal violations. Illegal alien, tax free life in USA, citizen failing to pay taxes, JAIL.

Chances are these optics are no worse than the various "name brand" rifle scopes you buy at Wal Mart or even the fancier stores. Almost everything is made in China now. Who knows if Aimpoint doesn't outsource some of its parts to China. You never know where your stuff is made. Even a Harley is partially foreign parts now.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All you guys that are appalled that the Feds won't shut down the counterfeiting need to step back and realize that our government won't even deport 20 million illegal foreign invaders, much less go after a Chinese company (in China no less). But if that was a US citizen doing the same thing, Lord help ya. If you were born here you are not an alien "super citizen" and you are not immune from random and harsh prosecution for all kinds of legal violations. Illegal alien, tax free life in USA, citizen failing to pay taxes, JAIL.

Chances are these optics are no worse than the various "name brand" rifle scopes you buy at Wal Mart or even the fancier stores. Almost everything is made in China now. Who knows if Aimpoint doesn't outsource some of its parts to China. You never know where your stuff is made. Even a Harley is partially foreign parts now.  

Welcome to the new America!

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]

As long as people buy aimpoint magnifiers at their current prices though, they will continue to sell them for that price. The united states military and law enforcement agencies provide large contracts to aimpoint and Eotech for their products, and the government doesn't really give a crap about how much they spend on items. This is the same government that spent $1,000,000 to develop a pen that would work in space. The russians used a $.05 pencil...

I get tired of hearing this.  NASA got the first batch of space pens for free.  Soon as NASA started using pens, the russians did too (I don't know if they were "fisher" pens, or if they copied them.).  Seems both NASA and the USSR didn't want to use wood pencils in a pure oxygen atmosphere, nor take the risk of having broken pencil points floating arround.

Fisher recovered their investment in R&D by selling"space pens like used by by NASA."
One more risk was removed from the space program at no expense to the taxpayer, and Fisher made money in the process.

There is an interesting display on this at the main admin building at KSC.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

As long as people buy aimpoint magnifiers at their current prices though, they will continue to sell them for that price. The united states military and law enforcement agencies provide large contracts to aimpoint and Eotech for their products, and the government doesn't really give a crap about how much they spend on items. This is the same government that spent $1,000,000 to develop a pen that would work in space. The russians used a $.05 pencil...

I get tired of hearing this.  NASA got the first batch of space pens for free.  Soon as NASA started using pens, the russians did too (I don't know if they were "fisher" pens, or if they copied them.).  Seems both NASA and the USSR didn't want to use wood pencils in a pure oxygen atmosphere, nor take the risk of having broken pencil points floating arround.

Fisher recovered their investment in R&D by selling"space pens like used by by NASA."
One more risk was removed from the space program at no expense to the taxpayer, and Fisher made money in the process.

There is an interesting display on this at the main admin building at KSC.

I stand corrected on the "Space Pen". However, one doesn't have to look far to see gross overspending by government agencies who do not give a damn about how much of the taxpayers money they waste.  The government has not proven to be very good stewards of the money that they syphon off our paychecks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I played with it some more today and when used as a handheld monocular the eye relief is around two inches.  My problem came with it on the gun as I turned my head slightly to get behind the gun and it put the edge of the eye socket next to the nose too close for comfort.  I figured I would try the factory XCR stock over the CTR as the tube was smaller and low and behold it let me get a lot closer to the center of the gun.  Using the magnifier is a whole lot more comfortable now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]
As soon as someone figures out how to make these clones co-witness with a 512. let me know.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
As soon as someone figures out how to make these clones co-witness with a 512. let me know.

All you need to do is get the appropriate mounts. Either a riser for your 512 or a lower ring for the 3x.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a "clonepoint" for almost two years now and besides having to smack it to get the reticle to light back up and the larger moa dot, it shoots a 1" group at 50yds.  ten shots (seven touching).  and stays relatively zero after multiple trips to the range and banging around.  I bought it just to mess with it since it was only $29 at the time.  I leave it zeroed on one on my POS guns so friends can shoot with it.  For plinking and such its great.  I WOULD NEVER RELY ON IT For combat/defense.  Just dont get the real and fake mixed up.  It would suck to have the reticle flicker on and off while in a fight.

I have a real comp mxd on my go to gun.

I would really like to try the magnifier since i would not buy the real one for 500.  It is just a magnifier and to have one as opposed to not having one cant hurt.  Looks like it is time to experiment.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I got my Ebay 3x today.  With the included twist-off mount and stock 512, the magnifier is about 1/4" low.  Still works fine and I like it, but will need to find a flip-to-side mount of the correct height.  The mount was very wobbly and annoyed me to no end.  I put three layers of aluminum tape on the bottom of the removable part and that fixed it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I got mine today and have been fiddling with it at work. The scope is clear but has little eye relief (2" max). The twist mount seems solid and the screws and allen tool are offsize, two of the screws are stripped, i will replace them wit dem quality screws.

I find it odd tha there was an actual american and swedish address for warranty work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Man I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago.  I just bought a used aimpoint/3x combo from a guy for a pretty good price, and this has me scared.  Based on the pic of the 3x on page 1 I think that's a fake, now I'm wondering about the aimpoint.  I thought that having to pry it from his hands after paying him meant they were the real deal.

the mounts showed signs of wear, and he seemed well versed with the aimpoints.

Oh well, that's what I get for being a christmas vulture.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#35]

All you need to do is get the appropriate mounts. Either a riser for your 512 or a lower ring for the 3x.  

I thought the only riser for the 512 that will work is the one LaRue makes. Its $120  And I thought the only flip mount that will do the job for the 3x is also the one LaRue makes.  Its $150!  I've also heard you have to use a combination of both for it to work right.  I've looked all over for other mounts and I cant find anything.  You know some alternatives??
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Shot 90 rounds with my magnifier yesterday and it performed very well.  I am very pleased with it.

Our steel silhouettes are very rusty now and blend in to the rock wall back stop very very well.  With the naked eye I could not pick them up past 150 yards.  With the magnifier they were crisp as could be.

I am also pleased that it shows no signs of fogging, even when sitting outside overnight and coming indoors.  The rifles has condensation all over it, but the scope stays clear.

Link Posted: 12/20/2007 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Hers my clone 3x mounted .No problems after 3500 rounds.Same as my real 3x

Link Posted: 12/20/2007 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's mine. LaRue LT-110 & LT-602 (low). 90 rounds through, everything works great so far.

Link Posted: 12/20/2007 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I ordered an aimpojnt spacer to raise my magnifier in the included mount and found that the mount is not square to the rail.  When everything was mounted up, the magnifier was about 2 degrees off.  While it worked, it really bugged me.

I am looking at the Larue 123 rings, one for my red dot and one for the magnifier.  The Burris rings work well, but don't come on and off as quick as I would like.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Here's mine. LaRue LT-110 & LT-602 (low). 90 rounds through, everything works great so far.

img261.imageshack.us/img261/8531/weotechph4.jpg

Too Bad the LT-602 (low) doesn't flip to the side.  I Saw a pic that had the LT QD Pivot mount and no riser for the EOTech but I'm unsure how it works.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Too Bad the LT-602 (low) doesn't flip to the side.  I Saw a pic that had the LT QD Pivot mount and no riser for the EOTech but I'm unsure how it works.  
I agree! I'll buy the first LaRue (or knock-off) flip that works with the Eotech on the LT-110. I'm just not willing to give up my BUIS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems all the "Its Chuhnee's, its crap and your supporting communists/patent stealing on a monocular/etc" are getting a nice boot to the face with these positive reviews (then again, its just a monocular thats been around way before aimpoint/etc decided to put one behind a dot sight). Hopefully the makers of the clones will begin listing their more recent products outside of niche airsoft sellers and into mainstream distributors to get more recognition. Probably a good deal of non-ebr shooters would like a cheap way to turn their red-dot into a 3x "scope" for plinking and other purposes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I plan on picking one of these up, however I wish someone besides LaRue made a flip-to-side mount. This would be a perfect close/mid-range setup for my 6.8 for deer.

Is there anyone out there with a non $150 flip mount?
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]
As others have better said, it's a good bargain for the magnifier.  It's just too bad that the real deal is so expensive as AimPoint could have sold a ton of them if they had come in the $200-$300 range.

In case anyone is curious, here are a few pics:

My EOTech 553 with LaRue flip mount:

Non-magnified view (100y):

Magnified view (100y):

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#46]
A little off topic but...

height=8
Quoted:

...and besides having to smack it to get the reticle to light back...It would suck to have the reticle flicker on and off while in a fight...

Had the same problem with my fakepoint. Turned out the recoil from my rifle (HK93) was causing an intermittent connection with the battery. I put a #6 (or was #8???) steel washer in the battery cap and haven't had a problem in over 1k rounds. Just thought I would share that in the hopes it might help you, and possibly someone else, out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
As others have better said, it's a good bargain for the magnifier.  It's just too bad that the real deal is so expensive as AimPoint could have sold a ton of them if they had come in the $200-$300 range.

In case anyone is curious, here are a few pics:

My EOTech 553 with LaRue flip mount:
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier1-1.jpg

Non-magnified view (100y):
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier3-1.jpg

Magnified view (100y):
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier2-1.jpg

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Thats exactly the setup I was referring to.  Hey SuperSet72, You think That would work so well with a 512? I guess it depends on the hight differences between the 553 and the 512.  Its nice to see a setup that doesnt require some sort of riser for the EOTech.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#48]
There are 2 pivot mounts available from LaRue. So, if you're using a 512/552 without a riser like the LT-110, you have to call them and order the lower-height pivot mount. It's not on their website, as far as I can tell.
Go to my home range's website and you can see the activity manager using the low mount there:

Chabot Gun Club 3-Gun
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Double post.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag-a-rooni
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top