BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
As others have better said, it's a good bargain for the magnifier.  It's just too bad that the real deal is so expensive as AimPoint could have sold a ton of them if they had come in the $200-$300 range.

In case anyone is curious, here are a few pics:

My EOTech 553 with LaRue flip mount:
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier1-1.jpg

Non-magnified view (100y):
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier3-1.jpg

Magnified view (100y):
i148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/dudeimaginethis/EOTechMagnifier2-1.jpg

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Superset, those were some good images. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
height=8

Magnified view (100y):

Very nice (and helpfull) photos.

Is your 553 mounted on a LT-110 or is it right on the flat top?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Magnified view (100y):

Very nice (and helpful) photos.

Is your 553 mounted on a LT-110 or is it right on the flat top?

thanks

The EOTech 553 has an integral riser and secured directly to the flattop via the ARMS dual throw-lever mounts. So, you have no need for a riser and the height allows it to line up perfectly with the standard height LaRue pivot mount.  
I haven't seen an EOTech 553 on a LT-110 yet as it seems like it'd be up pretty high.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a clone over christmas with the twist mount.  I also got a 512.  love it!  Ive looked through a real 3x magnifier and as far as I can tell, the clone is a pretty good deal.  

Mines not one with plastic internals for airsoft though.  but other than that, I say get one.  they work great and are very clear!

Just waiting to get a pivot mount for it now.  the twist mount does a good job, it the 3x could be a bit higher.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It appears the reviews are going well for the copy. I'm glad to hear it. $400 for the real deal magnifying glass just isn't feasible to me. But i'm sure there are some opinions out there that will disagree and say that i'm supporting counterfeiters but whatever...I still have an extra $300 in my pocket....I currently have the Clonepoint red-dot and have to admit i'm happy with it. I'm no LEO/Military but I have done some tactical shooting with the M4gery and it's worked out fine. And yes...it still stayed Zero'd... I'm sure most would say never to use it for home/SHTF defense but hey that's why i have a shotgun for the house and several other guns.

Back on topic....Does anyone have pics with the Aimpoint Comp ML series and the clone magnifier? Most of you it seems has the Eotech setup. TIA it's greatly appreciated!

Link Posted: 1/4/2008 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got my Ebay 3x today.  With the included twist-off mount and stock 512, the magnifier is about 1/4" low.  Still works fine and I like it, but will need to find a flip-to-side mount of the correct height.  The mount was very wobbly and annoyed me to no end.  I put three layers of aluminum tape on the bottom of the removable part and that fixed it.

I just ordered a 3X from Apex Tactical on Ebay as well. I also ordered an Aimpoint twist mount spacer from Mounts Plus for $10. (linky)

It's what you need to bring the magnifier (or Aimpoint) up to the tip of the front sight post on an AR15. I believe it's the same spacer used in the QRP mount. Anywhoo, I'll post a picture of my setup when I receive both items.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I know it has been said before on other threads but what I would like to see is a reputable company importing the clones "NOT COUNTERFEITS" and selling them for the $30-$40 that they probably should sell for.  This would help dry up the counterfeits. Or maybe a company like Millet that sources all their product in China, but has tech support and stands behind the product could make a market for 3X and 4X magnifiers.

The product manager for Millet has a thread on opticstalk.com. I am going to ask him about this. I will post his rely.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this just bites!

I just bought an Eotech 3x clone with out the mount.....

I like the Aimpoint better, but Now that you guys mention it, I feel less guilty as my EoTech clone in no way says EoTech on it.hough!?..

dAvE
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got my Ebay 3x today.  With the included twist-off mount and stock 512, the magnifier is about 1/4" low.  Still works fine and I like it, but will need to find a flip-to-side mount of the correct height.  The mount was very wobbly and annoyed me to no end.  I put three layers of aluminum tape on the bottom of the removable part and that fixed it.

I just ordered a 3X from Apex Tactical on Ebay as well. I also ordered an Aimpoint twist mount spacer from Mounts Plus for $10. (linky)

It's what you need to bring the magnifier (or Aimpoint) up to the tip of the front sight post on an AR15. I believe it's the same spacer used in the QRP mount. Anywhoo, I'll post a picture of my setup when I receive both items.

How does the spacer work? It comes with longer screws and put it inside the ring?
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Think about all these clones in the market,  Companies in the US contract the parts to be made in another country , the person overseas has many different places make the loose parts, ship them back here to be assembled while the contact in the other counrty is busy making extra parts to resell to us with another name or one close to it. Im pretty sure thats how these things work .
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I tend to look at the clones as a good test drive. If and when they break, buy better.
Like what was stated in the forum earlier. It comes down to glass quality. From photography I can relate to this. The glass will either enhance your target or dim it.

But from my experience, I had an Aimpoint red dot clone. It worked fine, but a friend gave me a real comp M2. And it is deffenantly better quality, and I won't switch back I put the clone on my sons rifle.

It compares to sports cars. You drive a Camero for a few years and switch to a Corvett and WOW big difference. You drive a Vett for a few years and get a Camero and you'll say why in the hell did I get rid of my Vett!?..

dAvEh.gif
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a RRA dominator mount on my rifle, I won't be able to mount a 3x will I?

If I take off the RRA mount, what will I need to mount the 3x so it lines up properly with the Eotech?
I still haven't gotten the Eotech yet, is there a AA model that would be better than another? I was thinking of getting the 512.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
I know it has been said before on other threads but what I would like to see is a reputable company importing the clones "NOT COUNTERFEITS" and selling them for the $30-$40 that they probably should sell for.  This would help dry up the counterfeits. Or maybe a company like Millet that sources all their product in China, but has tech support and stands behind the product could make a market for 3X and 4X magnifiers.

Wondering that myself. Believe me I like the high dollar quality stuff myself. But as I told a friend whom sells to the LEO. There are alot of people out there that just don't have the budget for ALL of the quality stuff and there should always be a cheaper alternitive. That's why Walmart does so well!?..

Just curiouse though. If I were to buy 10 of these clones and post them up for sale as clones on Equipment Exchange. Would I be FLAMED, and BANNED from the site?

I understand that there are Trade Mark laws, and in no way would I, or even suggest anyone to sell a knockoff with someone elses Trade Mark or Logo on it.

hat

dAvE
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have both clone a real aimpoint 3x There is no differance that i can tell.Except the more money.I have them on my colt m4 .No probrems with ether. The clone is a clear as real one .I don't see why people bash the clones? their a good  deal for someone not wanting to spend $500

BS, You dont have either.  

post pics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I have read this entire post and wonder if anyone has a link to some one or company who sells the 3x Aimpoint magnifier units.  I see them on Ebay but what about a WWW link that I can enter my CC and purchase them without all the Ebay stuff to deal with.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have read this entire post and wonder if anyone has a link to some one or company who sells the 3x Aimpoint magnifier units.  I see them on Ebay but what about a WWW link that I can enter my CC and purchase them without all the Ebay stuff to deal with.

Thanks in advance.

Dragonredairsoft sells these.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
so does redwolf airsoft. That's where I got the eotech clone. I'm noticeing more cosmetic differnces now that I have seen closer pics of the real deal. Still there's the matter of getting perfect site alignment with your main optic. To do that you need the right mounting ring. That may cost you more than you spent on the clone.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
On a side note. Do you honestly think there's a $400.00 difference in quality on these scopes? Or is it possibly that with a government contract and the military is willing to spend $500.00 of the tax payers money to have these made in large quantities that they now have to charge the public the same price or even more!?.

God help me if I have to spend $50,000.00 on my next toilet seat, or even $500.00 for a hammer!?.

Gotta go! I see black Helicopters circling my house!

Dave
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw your post and wanted to let you know that I asked for a quote from weaponcentral.com and got a price of $525 which included the Aimpoint twistmount.
My personal feeling is that I'd be very nervous buying from anyone other than a reputable dealer as long as there are "clones" that look exactly like the real deal. I plan on buying one from them at the end of this month when I get a bonus check from work.
I do plan on hitting the Aimpoint website to make sure I can tell the difference between the fakes and the real deals.

Best of Luck!
FlatCheese
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do you honestly think there's a $400.00 difference in quality on these scopes?

Not a chance.  Mine is very clear.  Feels durable, metal internals and doesn't fog up.  Lots of us can't afford a $500 3x magnifier.  

You can get lots of other optics for $100 that nobody has a problem using.  For some reason its totally bogus to spend that same money on a 3x that will be just as durable and last just as long as any other $100 optic.

Besides, lots of us here are not military, and I don't have any worries that zombie killing is going to be hindered because of my clone.   If self defense becomes a reality and I have to use my AR, I'm not dropping the clone when I need a well placed shot at 100yds.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
You can usually tell the fakes if there is no rubber covering the front portion of the magnifier. The clones come with no rubber covering that part. The real magnifiers come with the rubber but it can be cut off to fit 1" mounts. With the rubber in place it measures 34mm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does the spacer work? It comes with longer screws and put it inside the ring?

I just received my 3X and mount from Apex Tactical, as well as the Aimpoint mount spacer I ordered from Mounts plus. The spacer came with four longer screws, but they were standard thread, and the screws in the 3X clone mount were metric (3mm x 8mm in length.) A quick trip to my local hardware store and I had (4) 3mm x 16mm screws that worked great with the spacer and mount (and I also picked up (4) 4mm x 6mm screws for the body mount in case some day I run across a deal on a flip mount. I'll post a few pics and hopefully a range trip review this weekend.

Edited to add: The 3X is VERY clear, no sign of contamination inside the scope like the Millet's DMS-1 seem to have. Eye relief is about 1"~ 1.25", but NTCH shooting should work fine with this. As a test, I can clearly read license plates of cars parked across the street from my office that I cannot make out with the naked eye.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW my clone came with rubber coating on the entire exterior.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Strangely it seems to talk down a product sold from a chinese airsoft company. And say that it's Junk made in china. but honestly who really knows where there manufactured. My clone bought from the airsoft company doesn't say Made in China anywhere on it. For all we know it could be made in Pakistan, not that that would make it better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I totally agree with giving companies respect, by buying their product, and not knock offs. Larue is just another one of our manufactures that has had their product ripped off by chicoms. But i will say this, unlike Mark L that makes a quality product for a very good price, Aimpoint seems to have charged a little bit too much for their mag.  I just can't see spending the same price for a magnifier as i did for my real comp m3.  I like the statement that the fake 3x is a test drive, to see if i like it before spending the huge money.  Especially if its close on the eye relief and other aspects. Its kinda like downloading a song, then realizing that you want the CD.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I have no problems with low cost alternatives based on the real deal.  I only wish they did not copy them in a way to make it difficult to tell if its real or not.   At least the Eotech magnifier clone does look slightly different.  The Aimpoint M2/M3 clones have different color lettering stenciled to the body.

So has anyone figured out how to tell a real Aimpoint magnifier from a clone?  I notice the raised lettering on the clone is in italic (or so it appears).   Are they that way on the real ones?  I must admit, I have never seen a real one myself cause their so damn expensive and no local shops carry them!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a chance.  Mine is very clear.  Feels durable, metal internals and doesn't fog up.  Lots of us can't afford a $500 3x magnifier.  

You can get lots of other optics for $100 that nobody has a problem using.  For some reason its totally bogus to spend that same money on a 3x that will be just as durable and last just as long as any other $100 optic.

Besides, lots of us here are not military, and I don't have any worries that zombie killing is going to be hindered because of my clone.   If self defense becomes a reality and I have to use my AR, I'm not dropping the clone when I need a well placed shot at 100yds.  

Boy. I wish I had your hands. I could just feel stuff and tell how durable it is. Sorry people I know a lot of you run safe queens, and shoot a couple hundred rounds a year, but don’t think for a minute that these junk optics (that are steeling money form hard working people here in the US) are even close to the level of quality of the real things. They are JUNK! Built by slave labor, in a communist country.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

DOn't you mean it doesn't FROG up?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Boy. I wish I had your hands. I could just feel stuff and tell how durable it is. Sorry people I know a lot of you run safe queens, and shoot a couple hundred rounds a year, but don’t think for a minute that these junk optics (that are steeling money form hard working people here in the US) are even close to the level of quality of the real things. They are JUNK! Built by slave labor, in a communist country.

Since when was a 3x monocular a revolutionary device worth crying over? Monoculars/magnifying optics have been around forever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when was a 3x monocular a revolutionary device worth crying over? Monoculars/magnifying optics have been around forever.

I didn't say revolutionary. I just want to know who thinks that a 6 year old making a dollar a month is going to be able to build a quality optic that you can depend your life on?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aimpoints are made is sweden
Meh i'm happy with my hensoldt magnifier i can't see considering a clone while the poor boy specials are still available from LaRue unless you just need the look.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say revolutionary. I just want to know who thinks that a 6 year old making a dollar a month is going to be able to build a quality optic that you can depend your life on?

Those 6 years olds make decent rifles, dont see why a simple monocular is much more demanding of tolerances than an AK.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they arn't as "solid and rugged" as the real deal, but are they $500 worth of durability?!  seriously, you think half a grand is a good price for a durrable optic that is so simple?  I wish I had YOUR POCKETS, so I could afford the real deal and spend all that money for a name.

I could get recommendations all day on using a $100-$200 bushnell scope in combat.  How many of us that aren't military or law enforcement actually think combat use is ever going to take place??  For' folks like me, its the alternative for wanting a little magnification when I need it.  All I do is plink, bunny's and yotes.

And do you honestly think the aimpoint clones are destroying our economy to the degree you make it sound?  Illegal immigration is one thing but how popular is the 3x clone going to get?

Sorry Ill take my "JUNK" that functions for every need I'll use it for over the $500 setup any day, but call me cheap.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Im to lazy to read all 8 pages. Are these damn things any good? Or are they Junk!?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they arn't as "solid and rugged" as the real deal, but are they $500 worth of durability?!  seriously, you think half a grand is a good price for a durrable optic that is so simple?  I wish I had YOUR POCKETS, so I could afford the real deal and spend all that money for a name.

I could get recommendations all day on using a $100-$200 bushnell scope in combat.  How many of us that aren't military or law enforcement actually think combat use is ever going to take place??  For' folks like me, its the alternative for wanting a little magnification when I need it.  All I do is plink, bunny's and yotes.

And do you honestly think the aimpoint clones are destroying our economy to the degree you make it sound?  Illegal immigration is one thing but how popular is the 3x clone going to get?

Sorry Ill take my "JUNK" that functions for every need I'll use it for over the $500 setup any day, but call me cheap.  

I keep getting miss quoted. Where did I say that it was destroying the economy? What I said was they were steeling from hard working people. That includes those of us that work for these optic company's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I keep getting miss quoted. Where did I say that it was destroying the economy? What I said was they were steeling from hard working people. That includes those of us that work for these optic company's.

How is making a simple monocular "steeling"?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the people who have purchased these knockoffs not knowing that there not the real thing? What about the cop or soldier who’s mom, dad, wife, husband, brother, sister unknowingly bought them one of these? I know for a fact that this has happened (Several times). Now, what happens when this POS goes tit’s up at the worst of times? And by the way if you think making an AK is in any way close to working with optics, your sadly mistaken, do you need to build an AK in a environmentally controlled facility? Dose an AK need to be made waterproof? Doesn’t the AK have deliberate loose tolerances? BTW I work for the evil empire that is trying to rip you off by charging $500 for a 3X, so it is pretty safe to say that you are not going to win this argument.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I keep getting miss quoted.here

It is stealing when you misrepresent the product as the genuine article and sell it as such.

If you want to make a "simple monocular" then write that on the side instead of "stealing" an name and logo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Next thing you know it will be, "Oh no!  Don't buy an ACOG!  It's WAY over priced!"

And then people will be buying and talking up some POS ACOG clone........... oh wait, that already happened.

It's absolutely amazing to me how people talk up counterfeit crap as legit product.  And more often then not they have no idea what they are talking about.  But hey, it's on the error-net so it must be true.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the people who have purchased these knockoffs not knowing that there not the real thing? What about the cop or soldier who’s mom, dad, wife, husband, brother, sister unknowingly bought them one of these? I know for a fact that this has happened (Several times). Now, what happens when this POS goes tit’s up at the worst of times? And by the way if you think making an AK is in any way close to working with optics, your sadly mistaken, do you need to build an AK in a environmentally controlled facility? Dose an AK need to be made waterproof? Doesn’t the AK have deliberate loose tolerances? BTW I work for the evil empire that is trying to rip you off by charging $500 for a 3X, so it is pretty safe to say that you are not going to win this argument.

Perhaps people should be careful when looking at vendors, its their own fault for going on ebay or some random site they found on google vs researching for 15min's to find a reputable seller. I agree a aimpoint/eo marked 3x clone is ethically bad, but I've seen my fair share of people rag on people using un-marked clones just as much as the badged clones. As to your mfg postion, I'll assume your bias over any reason you can give that a 3x optic with no controls in it has to cost what it does. Perhaps the Chinese airsoft ones are built inferior, but with better QC the Chinese could build 3x mags like tanks and still not cost what aimpoint tries to pass them off as.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot mine today and the weather was 24 degrees with a wind chill of 16.  The magnifier rides around in my rifle bag in the trunk of my patrol car and has since I got it.  I mounted it and proceeded to shoot qualification and it worked great.  I put it on and off as needed and am very pleased with it.

I shot some of my best groups ever during a qualification and my heads shots at 25 yards went into a dime sized group from prone un supported.

For me, mine is doing everything I need it to.  If it goes down, I take it off and go on and it is no big deal since it is not my aiming device.  I can't see the need to spend the money for the aimpoint/eotech magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#45]
My buddy whom sells this stuff to the LEO said it was junk too. When I told him I wanted to compare it to the real deal, he said sure as soon as he gets one. So without any true knowledge of what he was talking about he condemned the cheaper optic! Not to mention no military experience. Just because you work at a place that makes and sells a product doesnt qualify you as an expert. You guys are and always will be Salesmen protecting your trade!

Most of todays crap is still better than anything they issued me when I was in the Corps! My buddy is in Afghanistan right now and says it is unbelievable what the enemy is useing. And they are not having any problems causing us great harm! Use whatever you can get! If you shoot well with it than its right for you! He's a firearms instructor for the airforce, and a former Marine sniper.

Its completely unprofessional to talk down your competition! A good salesman would point out what's better about there product. Not what's bad about everyone elses. I would boycott your product just for the attitude on that note.

Been wanting to try an EoTech anyways!?.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#46]

For me, mine is doing everything I need it to.  If it goes down, I take it off and go on and it is no big deal since it is not my aiming device.  I can't see the need to spend the money for the aimpoint/eotech magnifier.

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I just got one for my S&W M&P15T with a LaRue Pivot mount.  The mount cost more than the magnifier, but the one that came with it was junk and didnt fit with the Troy BUIS.  I am very pleased with it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Strangely it seems to talk down a product sold from a chinese airsoft company. And say that it's Junk made in china. but honestly who really knows where there manufactured. My clone bought from the airsoft company doesn't say Made in China anywhere on it. For all we know it could be made in Pakistan, not that that would make it better.

Really?  Maybe this is an indication.  cgi.ebay.com/3X-MAG-Magnifier-w-Twist-Mount-for-Aimpoint-and-Eotech_W0QQitemZ180208694715QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See how it says "HONG KONG, HONG KONG"?  

Reminds me of my favorite saying, "In police work, this is what we call a CLUE".
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just got one for my S&W M&P15T with a LaRue Pivot mount.  The mount cost more than the magnifier, but the one that came with it was junk and didnt fit with the Troy BUIS.  I am very pleased with it.

I spy...another clue.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My buddy whom sells this stuff to the LEO said it was junk too. When I told him I wanted to compare it to the real deal, he said sure as soon as he gets one. So without any true knowledge of what he was talking about he condemned the cheaper optic! Not to mention no military experience. Just because you work at a place that makes and sells a product doesnt qualify you as an expert. You guys are and always will be Salesmen protecting your trade!

Most of todays crap is still better than anything they issued me when I was in the Corps! My buddy is in Afghanistan right now and says it is unbelievable what the enemy is useing. And they are not having any problems causing us great harm! Use whatever you can get! If you shoot well with it than its right for you! He's a firearms instructor for the airforce, and a former Marine sniper.

Its completely unprofessional to talk down your competition! A good salesman would point out what's better about there product. Not what's bad about everyone elses. I would boycott your product just for the attitude on that note.

Been wanting to try an EoTech anyways!?.

You're right.  It doesn't sound like he knew what he was talking about.  So I'll help.  Let's talk about FACTS for a minute.

The U.S. Army requires that gear be tested before they buy it.  This is kind of important to make sure it will hold up under the stresses and hard use it will see.  For optics, this is known as MIL-STD 810.  Google this, and you and your gunshop friend can educate yourselves.  Aimpoint, Trijicon and other REAL manufacturers have to pass this test before the .gov will buy it.  FYI, CHINESE FAKES ARE NOT MIL_STD TESTED!!!!!

Some of the testing includes:

MIL-STD 810E Method 500.3 Low Pressure (aka Altitude testing)

MIL-STD 810E Method 501.3 High Temperature (Both storage and operating)

MIL-STD 810E Method 502.3 Low Temperature (Both storage and operating)

MIL-STD 810E Method 503.3 Temperature Shock (How well does the device handle going from high to low temps, and back)

MIL-STD 810E Method 506.3 Rain (How does the device do in wind blown rain)

MIL-STD 810E Method 507.3 Humidity (Can the device handle high Humidity)

MIL-STD 810E Method 508.4 Fungus (device is exposed to warm moist air in the presence of Fungus to see if it grows on the device)

MIL-STD 810E Method 509.3 Salt Fog (does the device rust/fail when exposed to salt fog)

MIL-STD 810E Method 510.3 Sand and Dust (how well does the device work when exposed to sand and dust)

MIL-STD 810E Method 511.3 Explosive Atmosphere (does the device create enough sparks/etc to cause an explosive atmosphere to blow up)

MIL-STD 810E Method 512.3 Leakage

MIL-STD 810E Method 513.4 Acceleration (constant acceleration)

MIL-STD 810E Method 516.4 Shock (either Shock Response Spectrums, or Triangle/sine/square wave shocks) - also transport shock

MIL-STD 810E Method 519.4 Gunfire Vibration

MIL-STD 810E Method 520.1 Temp, Humidity, Vibration (Traditionally sine wave (pre D) - later random vibration - combined with Temp testing)

MIL-STD 810E Method 521.1 Icing, Freezing Rain (what the device sounds like)

So, if you want to buy a counterfeit because it works for your needs, and you don't want to spend $535 on the real one, that is your choice and more power to you.  But PLEASE, do not make the asertion that the quality of the fake product is the same as the real deal because it simply is not.  
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top