Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
80% Lowers Summary (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:

Ordered one of the billet 80% lowers. It came the other day and looks nice for $57 dollars delivered. Now to get a jig. I have two Cerro forged 80%lowers also so I am thinking of going with either Modulus Arms or Broken Arms jig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:
Seems like Eds Tactical Armory has some 80% lowers in stock for a great price. Use promo code CLOSE for additional savings.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did hear that they are closing up shop. Just wanted to pass along a deal. I went ahead and ordered a lower from them to put back. I do not know what jigs will fit their lowers and hope my TR-Enabling jig will work.

Ordered one of the billet 80% lowers. It came the other day and looks nice for $57 dollars delivered. Now to get a jig. I have two Cerro forged 80%lowers also so I am thinking of going with either Modulus Arms or Broken Arms jig.

My TR-Enabling lowers work after a slight modification near the take down pin on both sides.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump to keep current.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Three 80% Lowers at $29 each

View Quote

These are nice too!  TM is GTG!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Hey thanks for posting this!!!
Great price...three for less than a hundred delivered....awesome.
My wallet is cryin...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Nitrodog:

My wallet is cryin...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nitrodog:

My wallet is cryin...

I am in for a 3 pack and my wife is gonna kill me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum
Construction: Forged
Rear Lug Cut: Unknown
Finish: Type III Anodized
BATF Approval Letter: No
Comments:

vytamenc actually manufactures forged and billet with trigger guards and without trigger guards our batf latter is available on request
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#8]
Bought 2 lowers from Ares Armor.  Both were blems.  

Ares has a CNC program deflashing that is gouging the mag well flange up front pretty badly.  The receiver extension reinforcement up top where the chamfer is added for the charging handle to ride over, looks like it was chamfered on a belt sander.  The fire control pockets up top where they would meet the upper receivers have big .020" chamfers that appear to have come from tumbling or deburring.  The pivot pin holes have counterbores on the left (wrong side) <small Cbores but they are there, and one of the pivot pin holes was hand deburred and the tool created a half helical chamfer with a lot of chatter.  

I got two A1's from Nodak Spud and they are absolutely perfect.  The Ares lowers were a big dissapointment.  On the market a 100% finished receiver in bulk is going for $35-$50 to OEM's.  These aren't finished and they are selling for that and are flawed.

Obviously guys will damage parts in machining at times, but they want to start with parts that aren't already blems in case they do do it right.  I don't like being sold obvious blems and not being told they are blems up front.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought two cerro forged 80% from right to bear and they are perfect a2's- everything the ares lowers should have been. Buy from right to bear.  You wont be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Green0:
Bought 2 lowers from Ares Armor.  Both were blems.  

Ares has a CNC program deflashing that is gouging the mag well flange up front pretty badly.  The receiver extension reinforcement up top where the chamfer is added for the charging handle to ride over, looks like it was chamfered on a belt sander.  The fire control pockets up top where they would meet the upper receivers have big .020" chamfers that appear to have come from tumbling or deburring.  The pivot pin holes have counterbores on the left (wrong side) <small Cbores but they are there, and one of the pivot pin holes was hand deburred and the tool created a half helical chamfer with a lot of chatter.  

I got two A1's from Nodak Spud and they are absolutely perfect.  The Ares lowers were a big dissapointment.  On the market a 100% finished receiver in bulk is going for $35-$50 to OEM's.  These aren't finished and they are selling for that and are flawed.

Obviously guys will damage parts in machining at times, but they want to start with parts that aren't already blems in case they do do it right.  I don't like being sold obvious blems and not being told they are blems up front.  
View Quote

ARES does not make lowers. They sell them
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#11]
Neither dose right bear.  But the ares product is blemmed in several ways and the right to bear product is perfect. Both are identical in price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah I wont do business with Ares. Just buy direct from TM. They hold the market for the forgings. $30 a pop cant be beat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Bunp
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Aresarmorrusty:
all Ares Armor lowers are 7075 t-6 aluminum

forged raw ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
billet ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
ar10s and signature lowers do not have the rear pocket.
all lowers have a determination letter to back them and can be provided upon request.
View Quote

How come the picture of this forged raw lower clearly shows no takedown pocket? http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHRW1
I had e mailed Ares (you?) regarding it and I explained that my jig did not have provisions to mill the takedown pocket as it has a bolt that gos through the takedown pin hole and I needed to know if it had the pocket milled. The responce I got was something to the effect that it shouldn't matter what jig I use, but did not answer rather or not the pocket was milled.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
These are back in stock, although there are 3 less of them now.....

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AASG:

How come the picture of this forged raw lower clearly shows no takedown pocket? http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHRW1
I had e mailed Ares (you?) regarding it and I explained that my jig did not have provisions to mill the takedown pocket as it has a bolt that gos through the takedown pin hole and I needed to know if it had the pocket milled. The responce I got was something to the effect that it shouldn't matter what jig I use, but did not answer rather or not the pocket was milled.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AASG:
Originally Posted By Aresarmorrusty:
all Ares Armor lowers are 7075 t-6 aluminum

forged raw ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
billet ar15 lowers have the rear pocket.
ar10s and signature lowers do not have the rear pocket.
all lowers have a determination letter to back them and can be provided upon request.

He is correct as far as milling the rear shelf goes. Having the rear shelf already done is a very recent improvement which several 80%ers still don't even have done. We have been doing them with the same jigs for years.
You need to drill out the axis pin holes on them before you mill the shelf. Once you do that you insert an axis pin, which along with the pivot pin keeps the jig squared up. Then you can remove the take down pin and mill your shelf.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Went through this thread and used search and didn't get much information I was looking for on here.  

I've been looking at the Hell Fire Armory 80% AR 15 lowers with the oversized trigger guard.  Anyone with experience on them?  Are they GTG?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LBRogers] [#18]
I completed my forst AR build with a Custom Built Arms 80% .308 lower. I ordered the lower and the upper and recieved them in appropriate time.
There were a couple problems with the CB upper / lower. The lower had the selector detent hole drilled too small diameter for the std. DPMS LPK detent, I had to drill it out. The lower is not real refined, it  has sharp radius on all the edges of the reinforcing, and is nearly 3/4" thick at the front of the magwell. The upper protrudes into the area for the bolt catch preventing it from overlapping the bolt adequately, I had to remove material from the bolt catch to get it to function. The bolt catch spring hole was packed hard with abrasive medium.  Other than that, it works.
Then I ordered a second 308 80% lower from CBA. The website said it was in stock,  12 business days later, no tracking #, and no projected shipment date when I emailed the company requesting order update.  Three days after my inquiry about  my paid in advance order, I asked for a refund.  
CB Arms responded that they would refund the order in 3-5 days, never heard back.  I disputed the charge with my bank, and got a refund more than 15 days after I requested information about my paid order.  
I realize I am small potatoes, as a one part at a time customer, but bad customer service is bad customer service.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ungvf3zxbjz7gyi/raifu%201.JPG?dl=0
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm....

What's the best way to put the words "Fire" and "Safe" on both sides of an unfinished receiver?

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By straightshot:
Hmmm....

What's the best way to put the words "Fire" and "Safe" on both sides of an unfinished receiver?

View Quote

Laser
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm....

View Quote

You could give this a try: Etching
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxxx93] [#22]
Hmmm....

View Quote

Who needs fire and safe spelled out?  Many mfgs just use colors.

I just spot drill the two locations and color them white and red.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Drilling and coloring would be easy...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#24]
Just finished my HellfireArmory this weekend with their jig thought I would just add to the comments:

Hell Fire Armory
Construction: Billet
Rear Lug Cut: No
Finish: Raw machined or Beadblasted(+$5)
BATF Approval Letter Supplied: No
Comments:  Rear take down pin spring hole tapped,set screw and wrench supplied, bolt catch pin hole threaded and pin supplied
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Drilling and coloring would be easy...
View Quote

Yup, That's the whole point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I have no will power!
None!
Guess I better figure this 80% lower thing out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By rsqhobbs:

I have no will power!
None!
View All Quotes

I have no will power!
None!

Same here. Never done one before, guess it's time to learn!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#28]
3 more gone, just dont tell the wife. I had to order a jig from Daytona Tactical also since I have never attempted this before.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#30]

I have no will power!
None!
View All Quotes

I have no will power!
None!

LOL. Same here. Three on the way.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys might want to look @ this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/676733_Fruity_Ghost___DIY_100s_of_ARs_cheaper__faster__gentler_.html

This is Boris of Shovel AK & Iron Glock fame.  And it works.  I held one in my hands today.  $2.50 worth of plastic...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidLee_64] [#32]

I have no will power!
None!
View All Quotes

I have no will power!
None!

I don't have any either. I just ordered 3 Gen 2 non-blems. For the price, I can use these to make sure my CNC program is exactly correct before I run any of my NDS A1 80% lowers.
I gotta edit this. All the damn sales going on, I ended up getting another stripped A2 upper (CDNN) for $39 and change, then had to shoot (pun) over to Fulton Armory for a parts kit for it. And of course, I had to buy a bunch more spare parts. I am not commenting on what usually happens to "spare" parts !  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DavidLee_64:

I don't have any either. I just ordered 3 Gen 2 non-blems. For the price, I can use these to make sure my CNC program is exactly correct before I run any of my NDS A1 80% lowers.
I gotta edit this. All the damn sales going on, I ended up getting another stripped A2 upper (CDNN) for $39 and change, then had to shoot (pun) over to Fulton Armory for a parts kit for it. And of course, I had to buy a bunch more spare parts. I am not commenting on what usually happens to "spare" parts !  
View All Quotes

I have no will power!
None!

Yeah, two inbound here.

I swear, I'm going to start a twelve step program for people like us.
"Hi, I'm Rsqhobbs, and I'm a partsaholic"
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, two inbound here.

View All Quotes

I have no will power!
None!

Yeah, two inbound here.

I only got one this time, cause I got one last week for $49, lol.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm almost to the point I need to buy parts by the 6-pack. BCGs, LPKs, barrels, etc.
Ordered 3 more 80% lowers from Tactical Machine yesterday. At those prices how can I possibly be expected to resist?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By warkittens:
I'm almost to the point I need to buy parts by the 6-pack. BCGs, LPKs, barrels, etc.
Ordered 3 more 80% lowers from Tactical Machine yesterday. At those prices how can I possibly be expected to resist?
View Quote

The first step is to admit you have a problem!

Or, so I hear...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Hi, I'm HawgPhixer and I have BRD.
I also ordered two A2 uppers from CDDN.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Shore Tactical

Material: 7075

Finish: Anodized

Comments: Free Shipping

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
The info on Tactical Maching is not correct.  I just got four receivers from them and all have the rear lug pocket machined.  These are their Gen 2 receives.  Just thought you'd like to know. Donald

Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
UPDATED 01/02/15

If you find any errors, please post the issue in this thread.

If you are an AR15.com Industry Partner selling 80% lowers, Please post your information. THANKS!

Format:

XYZ Lowers (list it "hot" as a link)
Material: (7075) (6061) (etc)
Construction: Cast, Forged, Billet, or Plastic
Rear Lug Cut: (Yes or No)
Finish: Anodized, Painted, or Bare
BATF Approval Letter Supplied:
Comments:

.223 Targets
Comments:

80% Arms
Material: 7075-T6 or 6061-T6 Aluminum
Finish: Anodized Type III or Bare Aluminum
Comments:

ACT Tactical
Finish: Anodized or Bare Aluminum
Comments:

Advanced Rifles
Construction: Forged or Billet
Finish: Unfinished (Raw)
Comments:

American Spirit Arms
Material: 7075 Aluminum
Rear Lug Cut: Yes
Finish: Bare or Anodized ($15.00 Extra)
Comments: They claim it's a "95%" Lower, it's an 80%.

ARs Unlimited
Finish: Type III Anodizing
BATF Approval Letter Supplied: Yes
Comments:

Ares Armor
Construction: Billet or Forged
Finish: Bare or Anodized
Comments:

AR15 Brick
Finish: Bare or Anodized "Hardcoat"
Comments: Drilled and Tapped for the Rear Takedown spring Retention modification

AR Only.com
Comments:

AR Parts
Material: A380 Aluminum
Construction: Cast
Finish: Bead Blasted or Cerakote
Comments: "Cast"?, I didn't know anyone still sold Cast Aluminum AR lowers!

Badger State Ordnance
Finish: Raw or Anodized
Comments:

Billet80
Finish: Paint
Comments: Drilled and Tapped for the Rear Takedown spring Retention modification, Threaded Bolt Catch Screw

BIYAR15
Finish: Raw
Comments:

Broken Armory
Finish: Type III Anodized or Bare
Comments:

Coats Carbine
Finish: Hard Anodized
Comments:

Custom Built Arms
Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum
Finish: Bare
Comments:

Cobra Tactical
Comments:

Daytona Tactical
Material: 7075-T6
Comments:

Ed's Tactical Armory
Comments:

EP Armory
Material: Kevlar Reinforced Two Color Plastic
Construction: Plastic
Finish: Plastic
Comments: I would do some research on this lower. I'd start here LINK

Federal Armament
Comments:

Hell Fire Armory
Comments:

H&H Tactical
Comments:

HLF Manufacturing
Construction: Forging
Finish: Anodized or Bare
Comments:

Iconic Industries
Material: Unknown
Finish: Hard Anodized
Comments: Worth a look! Not your "Run of the Mill" 80% Billet Lower

James Madison Tactical
Material: Plastic
Construction:
Finish: As Cast Plastic in 3 colors
Comments:

Juggernaut Tactical
Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum
Finish: Type III Anodizing
BATF Approval Letter Supplied:
Comments: Marked with their logo (yuck!)

KE Arms
Construction: Forging or Billet
Finish: Anodized or Bare
Comments:

KT Ordinance "Franken-Stone"
Material: Aluminum (Alloy Unknown)
Comments: Bolt Together with minimal drilling

Lockestone Industries
Material: 7075-T651 Aluminum
Comments:

M1 Machining
Finish: Raw or Type III Anodized
Comments:

M-16 Parts
Construction: Unknown
Comments:

Matthews Carbine Company
Comments: They CLAIM their receiver is "98.6 Finished", based on the listing & photo it appears to be a standard 80%.

Modulus Arms
Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum (Billet) or 7075-T6 (Forged)
Comments:

Moriarti Arms
Comments:

NatMil
Comments:

New Frontier Armory Industry Partner
Finish: Bead Blasted
Comments: Drilled and Tapped for the Rear Takedown spring Retention modification, adjustable tension screw for removing "slop" between the upper and lower receivers, threaded bolt catch

Quentin Defense
Construction: Billet Aluminum
Comments: Ambidextrous Bolt Release, Threaded Bolt Catch Pin

Revolvr
Construction: Forged Aluminum
Comments:

Right To Bear Arms
Construction:Forged
Comments:

Royal Arms
Comments:

Scorpius Tactical
Finish: Raw, Anodized, or Duracote
Comments:

Stealth Arms
Construction: Forged Aluminum
Comments:

Sub MOA
BATF Letter Supplied: No
Comments: BEFORE ordering, I'd read this ENTIRE thread...LINK

Tactical Gun Systems
Material: 6061 Aluminum
Comments:

Tactical Machining  
Construction: Forging
Comments:

TAS Arms
BATF Approval Letter: no
Comments:

The Flat Spot (Weldable Steel Receiver)
Material: Mild Steel
Construction: Welded, Brazed (super glue FAIL )
Finish: Ships bare. User applies color case hardening, bluing, browning, parkerizing, tool dip, or various paints
BATF Approval Letter Supplied: No.
Comments: $25 per/$6 shipping as of 7 AUG 2014. Heavy. Strong. Not CMP

TR-Enabling
Material: Unknown, not listed
Finish: "Surface Hardened"?, Type III Anodized, Nickel Teflon
Comments:  

Viper Defense
Material: 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 (+$15.00)
Comments:

U.S. Patriot Armory
BATF Approval Letter: Yes
Comments:

Vision Armory
Material: A380 or 7075
Construction: Cast or Forged
Finish: Raw, or Painted
Comments:

Vytamen C Tactical
Comments:

Z R Tactical Solutions
Finish: Raw or "several colors"
Comments:

I think the price on these is too volatile to list, clinking on the link will quickly let you know that info.

Anyone have ideas for other information....
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Modulus Arms
Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum (Billet) or 7075-T6 (Forged)
Comments

Rear lug cut = Yes
Finish = raw or choice of 4 colors
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there a thread where people show their mills, drills, palm routers, CNC machines set up? I have seen pics sprinkled throughout ARFCOMdom, but no thread. Would anybody be interested in a new thread of this topic?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#42]
This whole 80% lower thing is getting more and more appealing now that prices have dropped. Might just take the plunge on them now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#43]
Originally Posted By ejeviking:
Is there a thread where people show their mills, drills, palm routers, CNC machines set up? I have seen pics sprinkled throughout ARFCOMdom, but no thread. Would anybody be interested in a new thread of this topic?
View Quote

I've done a few, obviously it's easier for me to find my own threads.  Here's a couple:

Mini Mill Thread

Zero Percent

Milling Thread withe LOTS of links
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
I've done a few, obviously it's easier for me to find my own threads.  Here's a couple:

Mini Mill Thread

Zero Percent

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

Mini Mill Thread

Zero Percent

Thank you! I'll check those links to see if they can answer my questions.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I used Hell Fire Armory and they do supply a ATF letter if you request it from them. I got a copy just in case I am ever questioned about mine.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Subscribed.  Just finished my first 80% lower with an easy jig.  Will be dong many more!
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Consider me hooked on 80% stuff.  Now that I have this complete, how should I finish it?  Leave it naked?  Rattle can?  Something else?  I don't want to spend a fortune on a finish.

" />
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ejeviking] [#48]

Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:

Consider me hooked on 80% stuff.  Now that I have this complete, how should I finish it?  Leave it naked?  Rattle can?  Something else?  I don't want to spend a fortune on a finish.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/3F2AB7D4-B907-443A-BC85-7D2D55FB2F5D_zpsbqmf8lzw.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
What you puttin on top?

Krylon overhaul. if it gets thrown down the driveway, do it over, or not. I believe mine are going to be "truck guns", so something cheap.

edit for clarification.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#49]
What you puttin on top?  

Krylon overhaul. if it gets thrown down the driveway, do it over, or not. I believe mine are going to be "truck guns", so something cheap.

edit for clarification.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/3F2AB7D4-B907-443A-BC85-7D2D55FB2F5D_zpsbqmf8lzw.jpg</a>" />
What you puttin on top?  

edit for clarification.

Since I live in Maryland, the only thing in 5.56 that I can build it into is an HBAR or a pistol.  PSA had a sale on a nice 10.5" pistol upper without BCG for $179 shipped, so I ordered one for this.  I'll still need to get a BCG and a Phase 5 Tactical pistol buffer.  My CMMG parts kit is going in it tonight if I have time after work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I just milled my first 80% also and it turned out great! For 45 bucks how can you beat it and I will be ordering more.

Going to build a 300blk rifle.
Page / 7
80% Lowers Summary (Page 3 of 7)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top