Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/2/2017 9:22:33 AM EDT

I know, I know...there is a lot of "derp" out there when it comes to this subject. But...I actually have given this a LOT of thought and have had a LOT of meaningful experience with both the AR and the AK. So here's my "take" on it and why I've decided to focus my resources and training time on the AR platform.

I've spent the last several years using the AK platform both plinking and range fun and in a number of formal, serious intense AK classes. Yesterday was the final straw for me and I made the decision to seek an amicable divorce from the AK style rifle. These are only my reasons, my opinions and what is best for me, but others might have wondered about using AK v. AR and here is a list of reasons why I'm saying adios to the AK, as always, your mileage may vary. But based on my experience, rather extensive, really giving each platform a good working out over a whole lot of training classes, including advanced marksmanship, CQB, moving and shooting, etc. This list of items is NOT based simply on standing still on a square range plinking at paper.

AR safety easier to use and safer than AK safety system.
AR safety faster to manipulate, both on/off.
AR safety is safer than AK.
AR bolt can be easily locked open.
AR bolt locks open on last round fired.
AR magazines are easier and faster to load.
AR ergonomics are superior to AR ergos (unless you modify AK to be more like AR).
AR is easier to get into battery.
AR optics are easier to put on rifle.
AR is more controllable and easier to get on and stay on target with multiple rounds.
AR standard adjustable stock allows for much better LOP options than AK.
AR sights are easier and faster to use.
AR standard 5.56 round is plenty effective.
AR ammo and mags are lighter weight and you can carry more.
AR .223/5.56 ballistic performance superior to 7.62 x 39 (why do you think the Soviets moved over to the 5.45 round)
AR rifles are "America's rifle" and enjoy the longest running status as America's primary small arm.
AR rifles parts and manufacturers are all over the USA and parts are plentiful and the quality of the modern AR is simply outstanding, unlike any "american" AK.
AR ammunition is made here in the USA (for the most part) and we are not reliant on overseas manufacturers for AK ammo supplies.
ARs are much more easily obtainable here in the USA than any other assault rifle.

And to be fair here, my son loves he AK and he has several, so I can still have fun with an AK when I want too!

Now, this isn't to say you can't modify an AK out the wazooo to achieve comparable systems, but...

So, I'm now going to be selling off all my AK ammo, magazines and rifle and sticking with the AR platform.

And that's how I feel about that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

AR .223/5.56 ballistic performance superior to 7.62 x 39
View Quote
Depends on what the quarry is.  I'd rather shoot at a bear with the 7.62 than a 5.56 any day (not that I will ever HAVE to...but you get my point).

That said, I think all of your other points are valid.  I've never cared for the AK/SKS platform rifles.  I'll take my AR Lego set every time!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather have both
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Here come the trash can rifles replys
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
AK is good for cheap shooting.....and keeping skills up...at least one AK in every
mans tool box. .....
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here come the trash can rifles replys
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The AR platform is great. I struggle to like other platforms due to poor ergonomics, modularity, trigger options etc.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank God companies like BA and Faxon came along and started creating barrels for 5.45 and 7.62x39 so that we could go shoot those cartridges in the platform we do like
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Every firearms enthusiast should own at least one AK.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every firearms enthusiast should own at least one AK.
View Quote
....or two.....or three.  Just like it's American cousin, the AR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
All that is just like, your opinion man.  Glad you felt the need to share it, cause we definitely need another thread to become AR vs AK.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I disagree about the safety. From low ready both guns will take longer to get on target than it takes to turn the safety off. Also the AK is a safe design as long as all your parts fit and function correctly. Not sure why you think the AR is more safe.

Tons of both for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I Kut the Kalashnikov Kord several years ago...
AR's do almost everything better.

And the flexibility.

Forget about it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I can assembal an AR kit without a Hydraulic press. that seals the deal for me
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can assembal an AR kit without a Hydraulic press. that seals the deal for me
View Quote
This is big for me. I'd still like to build an AK at some point though but it clearly won't be with my tools
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AK is good for cheap shooting.....and keeping skills up...at least one AK in every
mans tool box. .....
View Quote
Came here to post this: at least one...........
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've spent the last several years using the AK platform both plinking and range fun and in a number of formal, serious intense AK classes. Yesterday was the final straw for me and I made the decision to seek an amicable divorce from the AK style rifle. These are only my reasons, my opinions and what is best for me, but others might have wondered about using AK v. AR and here is a list of reasons why I'm saying adios to the AK, as always, your mileage may vary.

AR ergonomics are superior to AR ergos (unless you modify AK to be more like AR).
AR is more controllable and easier to get on and stay on target with multiple rounds.

Now, this isn't to say you can't modify an AK out the wazooo to achieve comparable systems, but...

So, I'm now going to be selling off all my AK ammo, magazines and rifle and sticking with the AR platform.

View Quote

Again... You people sell guns?!? I will never understand...
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depends on what the quarry is.  I'd rather shoot at a bear with the 7.62 than a 5.56 any day (not that I will ever HAVE to...but you get my point).

View Quote
Not to mention shoot thru hard targets like car doors or glass at oblique angles .
556 deflects badly
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to mention shoot thru hard targets like car doors or glass at oblique angles .
556 deflects badly
View Quote
Somebody has been watching too many movies.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
So....  IS 7.62 x 39 still cheap to shoot?  I am starting to see Tulammo and of course that's cheap.  But for a while it seemed like the only 7.62 x 39 around was like brass cased and that was certainly not cheap.  I thought there were some kind of import restrictions for a while......

Just curious.    

My only opinions about AK's are that they're not as reliable as the pro AK crowd makes them out to be and they're not always as inaccurate as the anti AK crowd makes them out to be.  My anecdotal experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've spent the last several years using the AK platform both plinking and range fun and in a number of formal, serious intense AK classes. Yesterday was the final straw for me and I made the decision to seek an amicable divorce from the AK style rifle. These are only my reasons, my opinions and what is best for me, but others might have wondered about using AK v. AR and here is a list of reasons why I'm saying adios to the AK, as always, your mileage may vary.

View Quote

Usually these threads are full of derp but those are all pretty accurate. Nice job OP
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So....  IS 7.62 x 39 still cheap to shoot?  I am starting to see Tulammo and of course that's cheap.  But for a while it seemed like the only 7.62 x 39 around was like brass cased and that was certainly not cheap.  I thought there were some kind of import restrictions for a while......

Just curious.    

My only opinions about AK's are that they're not as reliable as the pro AK crowd makes them out to be and they're not always as inaccurate as the anti AK crowd makes them out to be.  My anecdotal experience.
View Quote
I can get WOLF Gold for around 27 cents a round, shipped. Russian AK steel case is around 20 cents a round.

So...guess it's what you want to spend. I don't think it is THAT MUCH more expensive to shoot an AR than an AK.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can get WOLF Gold for around 27 cents a round, shipped. Russian AK steel case is around 20 cents a round.

So...guess it's what you want to spend. I don't think it is THAT MUCH more expensive to shoot an AR than an AK.
View Quote
Also using steel case in an AR isn't a huge deal if you go down that road. Barrels are pretty cheap now. Not to mention easier to install.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also using steel case in an AR isn't a huge deal if you go down that road. Barrels are pretty cheap now. Not to mention easier to install.
View Quote
My problem with steel case in my ARs is that they really choke up my BCG after 150 rounds or so in a training class where we are shooting a lot of ammo in rapid strings, etc. I have to field strip and relube just to get it to cycle, otherwise my AR turns into a bolt action rifle.

That's been my experience with the steel case in my ARs, at any rate.

But I agree that if you feel it is worth it to you to shoot steel case stuff, a new barrel for an AR is no biggie.

I just prefer brass cased stuff in my ARs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I like both..
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd rather have both
View Quote
Ditto!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd rather have both
View Quote
This. No reason for me to choose one over the other.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I like them both also. I was concentrating on AK's prior to the election but now am focusing on AR's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Little bit of both for me.

I love my AKs, I love my ARs.  I don't know why you would sell all your AK stuff, at an assumed loss.  Keep some of, you may not feel so strong in the future.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
While my go to is a ar I think most of your issues can be solved fairly easily on a ak . I love my aks and ars and they all have a place to me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Both are awesome rifles. I've always been a bigger AR15 fan since it's more comfortable, more accurate, lighter, easy to find ammo, less recoil, and so forth. Of course I do like the simplicity and durability and reliability of the AK and 7.62x39mm is a better hunting round. I say AR-15 for the bedroom and AK-47 for the trunk gun. AR-15 is like a 1911, accurate and sweet, but needs oil to run. While AK-47's are like Glock's, ugly but reliable as hell, you can neglect them and it'll still work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I like both, but prefer the AR15.  

Of course you could always pick up a Galil ACE 5.56.  Addresses all of the concerns on your list while still being an AK.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, TV news.
Like when cops were hunting Dorner and they mistook the newspaper delivery ladies for him and opened up on the truck they were in with ar's.
They were basically unscathed

Even sheetrock causes if to change course
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/
   In our last tests shooting walls, we tried to line up 4 walls that were 2 feet by 2 feet.

It turned out that the 5.56 deviated so much from its course after the first wall, that it was almost impossible to hit the other walls to test penetration.

So, we built bigger walls.    
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, TV news.
Like when cops were hunting Dorner and they mistook the newspaper delivery ladies for him and opened up on the truck they were in with ar's.
They were basically unscathed
View Quote
I get that this thread isn't going to be a super scientific discussion but don't spread stupid rumors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I get that this thread isn't going to be a super scientific discussion but don't spread stupid rumors.
View Quote
Link to another test added. I'm sure you will call that stupid too.
Fast n light is good on soft shit but unpredictable once it passes through something
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in the have both crowd.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Not every gun needs to be a SHTFEOTWAWKIWFTBBQ gun.

Some of us enjoy shooting and learning different weapons.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my AR.  

That being said, I went to the Beach on Coronation Island with my dad one summer when I was fishing for salmon in Alaska during the summer of 2005, a real job.   Googleearth Coronation Island, it sticks way out into the big blue Pacific.  

Anyways...I was really glad that we brought the Kalashnikov Rifle to the beach.   Creepy place, to say the least.

I thought the Kushtaka was gonna jump out of the brush, its that wierd of a place.  Words cannot describe......

I shot at Korean and Russian flotsam that washed up on the beach.  The AK-47 scared away the evil spirits that inhabit the headlands.  

It's a good rifle, although ugly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldnt sell them off... I can see where your coming from on the other points.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Wow, that is a gorgeous AR!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#41]
love both but i choose scar these days
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I have had and currently have several SCARS too.

I love any rifle chambered in 5.56

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have had and currently have several SCARS too.

I love any rifle chambered in 5.56

View Quote
they make AKs in 5.56, here's my M85PV SBR.

ETA: it has a PA advance micro dot and an enhanced safety now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
@sagillman that is a fine piece of machinery you got there!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Some of the replies and lofty expectations of these rounds crack me up.
5.56, 5.45, and 7.62 X 39 are all varmint rounds. They are military rounds because they do things just well enough. Wounding is a practice that is sought out for some reason. Many of the larger countries have a certain ethic and take care of fallen combatants, too bad most of the people in the third world don't always hold the same standards.
Anyway, as much as I love my AK, and the inexpensive ammo, (even more so after SGammo brought the 8M3 back to us), it is still a second to the AR for me. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the AK, and don't agree with many of the OP's shortcomings, but still prefer the AR. I'm sure a lot do for the same reasons that I do.
I enjoy all of the shortcomings of the AK-AR that are really all just BS in the grand picture. Both wouldn't have lasted as long or been copied as much as they have if either were "bad".

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fast n light is good on soft shit but unpredictable once it passes through something
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool link.  556 can penetrate a vehicle, to argue otherwise is ignorant.  762 does have better penetration but there is a difference between statistically significant and clinically significant, if that makes sense.  Both are great rifles but you need to really know what you are buying when you buy an AK in the US.  AK legend isn't always AK reality, especially around here.  Ergos is the main factor for me as I honestly believe that accuracy, reliability, and efficacy are pretty similar for both rifles.  But again, a lot of respect for both.  Pretty sure this was a troll thread to begin with

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Wisdom
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Both is fine.

The PSL is my .30 cal rifle of choice.
20141202_115642 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:09:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Why get rid of your AKs? You can own both.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not every gun needs to be a SHTFEOTWAWKIWFTBBQ gun.

Some of us enjoy shooting and learning different weapons.
View Quote
I'm gonna go with this. Obviously a suppressed AR SBR is about as good as it gets, and nobody is arguing with that, but not everything has to be uber-practical. It's actually, shockingly ok to have a fun gun or two.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top