Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never understood this question.

My glasses are made to counter my astigmatism.  All my red dots look fine unless I take the glasses off.  Why would I take them off?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never understood this question.

My glasses are made to counter my astigmatism.  All my red dots look fine unless I take the glasses off.  Why would I take them off?
View Quote
My glasses do not completely correct my astigmatism.  With my eyes, it's not possible.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
AS other have said get your eyes checked. BUT

I have tired the red dots had a bunch of MRO's and finally gave up and went back to the holographic sights. My problem was it was just weird to use without closing one eye. Remember almost all red dots are a tube. It would work for me for a few mins. at the range and then my eyes would get tired or something. Trouble focusing and lots of blinking. Then I would close one eye and would get better for a while then back to focusing troubles. Basically for me eye strain was an issue and closing one eye didn't help at all didn't matter the eye.

Now I am using Vortex UH1 and the Newer Eotech XPS2-0 models and I am much happier.

I am going to do a post today about the XPS Vs. the UH-1 review.  Spoiler alert.  Click To View Spoiler

Quoted:
I have fairly pronounced astigmatism in both eyes. A 1 MOA red dot shows some blurring or "blobbing" of the reticle, which I know is expected.  However, at 1 MOA size it's ignorable and doesn't affect accuracy significantly for any red dot shooting I've done in the past.

I recently purchased a Meprolight Tru Dot, which has a 2 MOA dot.  The blurring is more pronounced than I had expected.  I really like this optic and it's features, but the dot doesn't look at all like a dot.

Should I live with the blur or send it back and try a different system?

Is there anything out there with motion sensitive on/off or extreme battery life that is a viable alternative?  I believe EOTech sights did not have this issue with astigmatism, but after their fiasco I'm leery to try them out.

This is for a "bump in the night" carbine, so I want a robust 1X illuminated sight I can leave on all the time with minimal concerns about battery replacement.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
At the ranges I use a red dot for, the slight blur isn't a problem....I want speed and the dot gives me that.

At range, I have a rifle dedicated to a magnified optic to be more precise.

Dots are about speed, not precision.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I just use a TA-33. It’s light, durable and functional with my astigmatism—glasses on or off.

If you bring your head up a 1/4” with both eyes open, with a target focus, the huge eye box and conspicuous green horseshoe is fast enough when using it like a RDS.

Eotech, T1, RMR were tolerable with my lenses on, however they would have been a red blur if I had had to shoot at something without my lenses on. Every few years I forget how bad it was and someone gets a great deal on EE. I really just need to shoot long guns like LAV with my dominant, astigmatism free left eye.

If I go with a LPV would first focal plane reticle or second be better for me?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
After years of being an idiot, buying all kinds of optics to fight my astgmatism, spending money on contacts, etc. I did what any sane person should do... I got laser corrective surgery on my eyes. LASEK but PRK would have worked for less money. Just dont get LASIK. Hard to do additional revision surgery, permanantly weakens the cornea, etc. All optics, iron sights, scopes, red dots, spotting scopes... everything is crystal clear now. My ability to shoot well improved exponentially in every category.

Was it expensive? You bet. But its the best optics purchase you will ever make.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
slight blurry reticle at short range on a chest sized target no problem
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
same problem.  TA-44 (1.5X mini-ACOG) on SBR's and Steiner PX4i on others.  problem mostly solved
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I just deal with it. Eotechs are the clearest of the red dots I've used, the single dots sights are oval shaped to me and I make do with that. Magnified optics are clear as day for me though, the ACOG I used to have had a perfectly crisp reticle to my eye, and all the variable power scopes I have are clear as can be.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top