And the linear comps:
-DPMS Levang linear compensator
-TROY claymore
-KIES blast master linear comp
-Kaw Valley Precision linear comp
-Kineti-Tech muzzle brake comp, front concave ports
-Black River Tactical covert comp
-Simple Threaded Device

For those who like the Ferfrans CQB modular muzzle brake device, you might be interested in the Kineti-Tech muzzle brake w/ sound redirect sleeve, and/or the Silencer Co. MAAD brake system.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are the Krink style flash cans:
-Noveske KX3
-Noveske KX5
-KAK flash can
-KAK slimline flash can
-Aero Precision slimline flash can

And the linear comps:
-DPMS Levang linear compensator
-TROY claymore
-KIES blast master linear comp
-Kaw Valley Precision linear comp
-Kineti-Tech muzzle brake comp, front concave ports
-Black River Tactical covert comp
-Simple Threaded Device

For those who like the Ferfrans CQB modular muzzle brake device, you might be interested in the Kineti-Tech muzzle brake w/ sound redirect sleeve, and/or the Silencer Co. MAAD brake system.
View Quote

Are flash cans more effective? Of the linear comps, are they all equal, or are some better than others?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  Are flash cans more effective? Of the linear comps, are they all equal, or are some better than others?
View Quote

One thing flash cans are good @ is they're more tolerant of canted muzzle threads.  I bought a LeVang, and realized I might get muzzle strikes b/c my bbl's screwed up.  So I put a KAK Flash Can on it, we'll see how that does.  In between I tried the 2 lb NC Star Golf Ball launcher, which should probably be added to the flash can list.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
what I need is a fucking blast sheild that i can quick attach in place of my surefire SOCOM suppressor.  Fucking surefire, only provides brake or FL and you kind of out to use the brak on SBRs to protec tht eblast baffle.  But then that shit is loud.  

some outfit called simple solutions or something like that makdes a cone type shiled that you can put on YHM and AAC suppress mounts.  They add zero additional length but keep the blast from comig back at ya, aslso, the brake still works about as well supposedly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The KAK muzzle devices are made of aluminum, which seems like a bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The KAK muzzle devices are made of aluminum, which seems like a bad idea.
View Quote

Well, you can get a 2 lb solid steel golf ball launcher for even less money, so you don't have to worry about your can melting, AND you can beat someone to death w/ it in lieu of having a bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
i picked up the BRT for my 10.5, 5.56

it is very nice to shoot and seems to keep the blast heading down range

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, you can get a 2 lb solid steel golf ball launcher for even less money, so you don't have to worry about your can melting, AND you can beat someone to death w/ it in lieu of having a bayonet.
View Quote

I wouldn't be concerned with melting, but I would not rule out erosion, fracture, and possibly catastrophic failure ('splosion).  The pressures in the barrels erodes the gas port on chrome-lined barrels, and chrome-lined CMV steel is tough stuff.  I imagine that muzzle devices are almost always steel for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#9]
there have been some 3d printed shotgun compensators that will hold up for awhile,
but shotguns are more volume and less pressure.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One thing flash cans are good @ is they're more tolerant of canted muzzle threads.  I bought a LeVang, and realized I might get muzzle strikes b/c my bbl's screwed up.  So I put a KAK Flash Can on it, we'll see how that does.  In between I tried the 2 lb NC Star Golf Ball launcher, which should probably be added to the flash can list.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Are flash cans more effective? Of the linear comps, are they all equal, or are some better than others?

Gee... I hope your muzzle threads are not that canted.

Between the couple that I have fired; Krink can and Noveski... BRT, Kries and Kaw valley. The can were better at recoil. But the linear comps were OK at reducing recoil and MUCH better at suppressing the flash than the cans
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
How does a linear comp or flash can reduce perceived recoil?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

When the gasses coming out of the muzzle hit the endcap, or cone, an equal and opposite reaction creates a force that pushes the rifle forward, away from your shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When the gasses coming out of the muzzle hit the endcap, or cone, an equal and opposite reaction creates a force that pushes the rifle forward, away from your shoulder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it brakes up the rocket exhaust effect part of the recoil.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Got some links to the physics of that?  It certainly reduces the amount of sound pressure @ the shooter's ears, but you still have the same amount of powder gasses exiting the bbl @ Mach 5 in a down range direction.  Unless you significantly change the direction of those gasses (traditional muzzle brake), there isn't going to be a significant difference in recoil btwn a bare muzzle & a linear comp.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got some links to the physics of that?  It certainly reduces the amount of sound pressure @ the shooter's ears, but you still have the same amount of powder gasses exiting the bbl @ Mach 5 in a down range direction.  Unless you significantly change the direction of those gasses (traditional muzzle brake), there isn't going to be a significant difference in recoil btwn a bare muzzle & a linear comp.
View Quote

Unless it's huge, with a large baffle area, it's not going to do much, if anything, to reduce actual recoil.
But I don't use them for recoil reduction, I use them to keep my fillings in place on SBRs
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
How is the flash with a short barrel like 10.5 with something like a BRT or Kaw valley?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone used the simplistic shooting solutions brake shield?  I feel like an aac 51t blackout flash hider paired with the shield could be a killer combo.  No side blast and no flash.  Only tradeoff would be the weight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
A snip from Simplistic Solutions on the brake shield(scroll to bottom of page):

The QD Brake Shield funnels the blast forward and prevents the concussive force from being directed back at the shooter or anyone immediately next to you. This option would be beneficial to entry teams that choose not to run a suppressor but do not want to ruin their team mates hearing or concentration. Obviously the QD Brake Shield is for shooters of all disciplines that want to keep the range neighbors happy and keep the fillings in your mouth from rattling loose!

Exisitng versions are for YHM 5.56 and 308 suppressor mounts and the AAC M4 2000 suppressor mounts.

The QD Brake Shield is made from 4140, parkerized for protection against corrosion and weighs 5oz.

The YHM version simply screws on and attaches the same way as the suppressor does. The AAC version also screws on but employs a set screw that will need to be snugged to ensure the QD Brake Shield does not vibrate loose. The set screw comes with blue loctite applied with an allen wrench included.
View Quote

Here's the link to their page. Seems like a good idea, and I might get one for my YHM mounts.

ETA: I just wonder how this effects what the brake/comp is there for.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the simplistic shooting solutions brake shield?  I feel like an aac 51t blackout flash hider paired with the shield could be a killer combo.  No side blast and no flash.  Only tradeoff would be the weight.
View Quote

I've got a couple that I run on my YHM mounts when I'm not using the suppressor.  They work, but they're not light.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My M4-2000 does a good job and doesn't piss off others at the range
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run one on my RFB when unsuppressed, it made no noticeable difference in the felt recoil, but it keeps it from feeling like you're being punched in the face with every shot from the side blast

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I run one on my RFB when unsuppressed, it made no noticeable difference in the felt recoil, but it keeps it from feeling like you're being punched in the face with every shot from the side blast

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/ARFCOM%20stuff/IMG_20140219_181351_014.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/ARFCOM%20stuff/IMG_20140219_181351_014.jpg

Nice. Thanks for the info.. Their site says they weigh 5oz.. Which I'm not to concerned with cause these rifles normally carry the can on them 100% of the time because of the concussion. So 5oz. vs 18oz. is a good trade off. This seems like a perfect solution to that problem.

I found them here. Is there a more reasonably priced place to get them, or is that pretty much what they go for?

Also found them with the brake at the same place in a bundle deal. It's actually cheaper to buy them as a bundle rather than separate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is the flash with a short barrel like 10.5 with something like a BRT or Kaw valley?
View Quote

The BRT and Kaw Valley reduce flash better than a A2 bird cage on a 10.5 or the 11.5" tubes. Or at least I do not notice it as much (except Tula 55 gr it's really flashy)
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The BRT and Kaw Valley reduce flash better than a A2 bird cage on a 10.5 or the 11.5" tubes. Or at least I do not notice it as much (except Tula 55 gr it's really flashy)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay cool thanks.  I currently run the ferfrans CRD, and altthough it is pretty awesome, my 10.3 throws a good ball of fire with m193.  It would be nice to throw sound downrange but limit the flash at the same time as I have been doing a lot of cqb training.  I feel like the simplistic solutions brake shield paired with the blackout flash hider would be perfect.  If the BRT and kaw valley do a better job than an a2 however, that would def be a lighter and perhaps better option.

Is there a noticeable difference in perceived blast and concussion with those as compared to an a2?  They seem to always be compared to muzzle brakes but not the noise from flash hiders.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nice. Thanks for the info.. Their site says they weigh 5oz.. Which I'm not to concerned with cause these rifles normally carry the can on them 100% of the time because of the concussion. So 5oz. vs 18oz. is a good trade off. This seems like a perfect solution to that problem.

I found them here. Is there a more reasonably priced place to get them, or is that pretty much what they go for?

Also found them with the brake at the same place in a bundle deal. It's actually cheaper to buy them as a bundle rather than separate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WO is the only place selling them right now.  Rainier used to carry them as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I wish I wish I wish they made them for surfire socom mounts.  I emailed them but they said it would be tricky.  Maybe I'll buy an extra can and tear it apart  I keed
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#28]
so, the lightest A2 sized linera comp is the BRT fluted one then?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It appears so.  Mine is going on my 12.5" Colt barrel tomorrow, hope to get to the range and try it out in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#30]
my brt is called the dragon cause it shoots balls of flame
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It appears so.  Mine is going on my 12.5" Colt barrel tomorrow, hope to get to the range and try it out in the afternoon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep us posted. I still haven't purchased one yet. Waiting on some more hardcore reviews.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top