Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2008 2:46:05 PM EDT
Hey everyone thinking of purchasing a laser off of ebay! Does anyone have this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360033147609&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
and is the laser visible like the one's the law enforcement uses, i was thinking of the green c'mon people post them up!
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
no one
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. It was tough as hell to get sighted in. I had a harder time then most,,, don't know why. Once they are sighted in they are good to go. Holds zero very well, and is bright as hell. I got the green of course.

If I had it to do again, and did not have the 650.00 for the ATN GREEN NEEDLE, I would have gotten the one with the easy to adjust head. The one with turrets. THIS ONE!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By BIG_STINKY_PETE:
I have one. It was tough as hell to get sighted in. I had a harder time then most,,, don't know why. Once they are sighted in they are good to go. Holds zero very well, and is bright as hell. I got the green of course.

If I had it to do again, and did not have the 650.00 for the ATN GREEN NEEDLE, I would have gotten the one with the easy to adjust head. The one with turrets. THIS ONE!!!

Anyone gotten a chance to use one of these?  I'd buy on ein a heartbeat if I knew they weren't chinese trash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I've got a Walther G22 with a laser that uses allen wrenches for adjustments, and it's a huge pain to sight it.  I finally put a scope on it, sighted in the scope, then adjusted the laser to the scope's cross-hairs, and it just took a few minutes.

You then get quick pick-up of the laser dot at long ranges, since it's right in the FOV of the scope!  The relative zero of the two shift at different ranges, of course, since they're on a different axis.

Link Posted: 4/3/2008 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
was the chines laser visible beam or no that's really what i am looking for in one to tell the truth
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By j-varg26:
Hey everyone thinking of purchasing a laser off of ebay! Does anyone have this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360033147609&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
and is the laser visible like the one's the law enforcement uses, i was thinking of the green c'mon people post them up!

Cheap junk. I ground off the mount it was so bad and used a scope ring to put in on. Then the VERY cheapass switch broke beyond repair. It was very brught while it worked- the dogs loved chasing it in broad daylight.

Dont waste your money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCS] [#7]
The hard part about buying ebay chinese lasers is figuring out which ones are okay and which ones are garbage.  It's a bit of a learning curve really.  A guy named asiparks posted some good info in a green laser thread on this board, you should search for that.  

This is a good laser:  good green laser.  Its module is held in two eccentric-circle adjuster rings.  You loosen the external locking hex screws, twist the front and rear rings until you get the desired alignment (zero), then you loctite the locking screws and tighten them down.  It's damn bright.  You need to use common sense with this laser (don't point it in anyone's eye).  It makes a visible green dot on a pine tree at over 50 yards at high noon on a sunny day.  It makes a star-wars beam in the night sky, especially if it's a bit hazy.  I have completely disassembled one.  It's well-made.  The laser diode is firmly pressed into a brass carrier, and the IC board is supported by both a cushy foam ring and a silicone rubber butt cap.  

This is the same laser from a different store:  same good laser.

Identifying features of the good laser:  reinforced button sticking out of the butt cap, no curlies in the pressure switch wire, advertising text that clearly sez you don't have to remove the nose cover to adjust the alignment, $65 price tag.  

This is a bad laser with outright lies in the advertisement:  bad laser.  It is NOT external adjustable.  You must completely remove the nose cap to use internal screws to adjust the laser.  The alignment does not "lock".  

I don't know anything about these kinds of lasers: fat external adjustment knob lasers.

This G&P PAQ is pretty well made and has a functional paddle switch and makes a nice clean red dot.  However, it's adjustment knobs are not indexed, so it may not hold zero.  PAQ.

This G&P PEQ is a really nice unit.  PEQ  The Cree illuminator is very bright.  The adjustment knobs are indexed, and reported to hold zero even on .308 rifles (search around, other people have had good success with this unit).  I have one completely disassembled, waiting for IR parts.  I'll beat it up and see if it holds zero once i get it back together.  

That's all i know about Ebay lasers.  Maybe others can report back with what did or didn't work for them.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]
ost
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
tizzag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd also like to express my interest in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah bump for good info but still undecided and need to buy a new stock so i'll wait and i'll let you guys know what i end up doing and i'll post pics
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By j-varg26:
Ebay Laser Who'se Rocking Them

Is "Rocking" like "Stoning"?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
no rocking isn't like stoning just a slang used by us youngsters can someone post up any pictures?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 12:52:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ehtacs] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Originally Posted By DCS:
The hard part about buying ebay chinese lasers is figuring out which ones are okay and which ones are garbage.  It's a bit of a learning curve really.  A guy named asiparks posted some good info in a green laser thread on this board, you should search for that.  

This is a good laser:  good green laser.  Its module is held in two eccentric-circle adjuster rings.  You loosen the external locking hex screws, twist the front and rear rings until you get the desired alignment (zero), then you loctite the locking screws and tighten them down.  It's damn bright.  You need to use common sense with this laser (don't point it in anyone's eye).  It makes a visible green dot on a pine tree at over 50 yards at high noon on a sunny day.  It makes a star-wars beam in the night sky, especially if it's a bit hazy.  I have completely disassembled one.  It's well-made.  The laser diode is firmly pressed into a brass carrier, and the IC board is supported by both a cushy foam ring and a silicone rubber butt cap.  

This is the same laser from a different store:  same good laser.

Identifying features of the good laser:  reinforced button sticking out of the butt cap, no curlies in the pressure switch wire, advertising text that clearly sez you don't have to remove the nose cover to adjust the alignment, $65 price tag.  

This is a bad laser with outright lies in the advertisement:  bad laser.  It is NOT external adjustable.  You must completely remove the nose cap to use internal screws to adjust the laser.  The alignment does not "lock".  

I don't know anything about these kinds of lasers: fat external adjustment knob lasers.

This G&P PAQ is pretty well made and has a functional paddle switch and makes a nice clean red dot.  However, it's adjustment knobs are not indexed, so it may not hold zero.  PAQ.

This G&P PEQ is a really nice unit.  PEQ  The Cree illuminator is very bright.  The adjustment knobs are indexed, and reported to hold zero even on .308 rifles (search around, other people have had good success with this unit).  I have one completely disassembled, waiting for IR parts.  I'll beat it up and see if it holds zero once i get it back together.  

That's all i know about Ebay lasers.  Maybe others can report back with what did or didn't work for them.  

I ordered the "good green laser" above... should be here in a coupld days or so. Will post pics when I can. I won't be able to get it to the range for a few to test how it holds zero though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
hey thanks for the pics does look pretty nice i dont think i would be hoping to be able to see a .25 inch dot at 150 feet
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
pic request
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lightship] [#18]

Lasermax Green UNI-MAX

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
tag time
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8

I bought one of those. It is bright as hell but the only thing it is good for is a handheld toy. The windage and elevation was adjustable but the laser itself was jacked. With the knobs adjusted as far as they would go, it wouldn't even get close to zero. It would point at an angle.head.gif
Also, the laser would cut out at times because the battery spring inside was bent and grounding itself out.

Do yourself a favor, don't even think about wasting your money on this one. Get the first on mentioned. The one with the QD base and collar style adjusters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have a source for the G&P PEQ-2 clones that are like the ones linked here?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#22]
tag!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyle984] [#23]
The 'good' units sure seem bulky, and 280 grams.  Are there any decent smaller options?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:12:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCS] [#24]

Originally Posted By FlyPenFly:
Anyone have a source for the G&P PEQ-2 clones that are like the ones linked here?

I just bought two from Cobra Airsoft company.  

Look what I just typed^^^ airsoft!

Anyway, google it.  They were $110 each, plus $30 for EMS Express.
They arrived 3 days after I ordered!

If you buy these, they have the little clone lens covers over each light emitter.  The cover on the laser is nice, and doesn't seem to affect the dot or intensity.

The cover on the illuminaor is purely a clone feature.  It serves only 1 purpose:  to drastically cut the light output.  The led lens itself is glass so it doesn't need a lens cover anyway.  

Here's what you DON'T want to do:  install batteries, turn on your new light, shake your head in disgust at the crappy illumination from the led, remove the clone-feature illuminator lens cover, look at the led again and power up the light to see if it's brighter without that cover.  OUCH!  I'm telling you, that led is friggin bright!

So I leave my illuminator lens cover off.  It serves no purpose.  

Disclaimer - obviously, don't look at the laser and power it up.  That's just bad, period.

EMS Express - a little pricey, very fast.  You will have to meet your mail person to sign for the package.  The Hong Kong vendors all love EMS Express.  They clearly prefer it, and frequently offer no other option.  If I had to guess, I would say it's because it somehow reduces their odds of customs problems at entry?  dunno...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Kyle984:
The 'good' units sure seem bulky, and 280 grams.  Are there any decent smaller options?

I looked for that too.

As the technology and market grows, I think china will put out some smaller options.

The original collar-adjustable design (that is being copied now) came from Steady Flying Enterprises.  Their store is www.tacticaljtech.com/.  Go to the English link, Flashlight page, scroll to bottom for lasers.  

Their collar-adjustable model is smaller and lighter, and available in red, green, or IR.  Over $350 bucks.  I don't know what happens if you buy an IR unit:  will it pass customs?

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyPenFly] [#26]
How tough does the unit feel? Is it waterproof?
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Any updates from people who might have purchased one of the lasers mentioned here? I'm about to pull the trigger on a "good laser" and it looks like a few people bought that one.

Also, a question no one has seemed to ask: Is there anywhere in *this country* to purchase these things, or is the only option to buy direct from some guy on eBay in Hong Kong? I sure would love to just buy from someone slightly more local (like in our hemisphere) that might be able to assist if there's a problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By xMetal:
Any updates from people who might have purchased one of the lasers mentioned here? I'm about to pull the trigger on a "good laser" and it looks like a few people bought that one.

Also, a question no one has seemed to ask: Is there anywhere in *this country* to purchase these things, or is the only option to buy direct from some guy on eBay in Hong Kong? I sure would love to just buy from someone slightly more local (like in our hemisphere) that might be able to assist if there's a problem.

I bought from a guy in China and got screwed.

Paypal unscrewed me and skull fucked him.

For what its worth.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had good luck buying from people in Hong Kong, like Deal Extreme, and several ebay merchants with lots of good feedback.  Shipping can take several weeks, so you have to be patient.

I most recently got ripped off on ebay buying a scope, but it was someone local (at least they claimed), and paypal paid me back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 7:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vadersi] [#30]
I just recieved this one.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170209002131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007   It came from hong hong by air in just a bag.took 7 days. I took it out and dropped it and kicked it across the basement floor.  Still works. Don't know when I'll get to sight it in and then bang it around to see how good it holds 0. but I'll let you know.. for the price i'd recommend it... Its cheap enough to throw away if it doesn't work.. looks waterproof, but Im going to wait a while to get it wet..  

One thing I just noticed is both alen keys that it came with are both the wrong size.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Pics of the swapout?? I would like to do something like that myself....
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I just took the cap off to see how to adjust... One question.. When I take the cap off is there a lense or cover over the laser.. I unscrewed the cap quickly and wasn't sure if there was a lense or not, looked on the floor but could no find anything
thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By vadersi:
I just recieved this one.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170209002131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007   It came from hong hong by air in just a bag.took 7 days. I took it out and dropped it and kicked it across the basement floor.  Still works. Don't know when I'll get to sight it in and then bang it around to see how good it holds 0. but I'll let you know.. for the price i'd recommend it... Its cheap enough to throw away if it doesn't work.. looks waterproof, but Im going to wait a while to get it wet..  

One thing I just noticed is both alen keys that it came with are both the wrong size.

Dude, you are going to be disapointed in that laser, that particular laser is bright but probably wont hold zero with that aiming module. I had one just like that, it failed within two weeks. I hope you have better success.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

The parts are all in, I just gotta find the time.  I'll post pics once (if) I get it working.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#35]

I just took the cap off to see how to adjust... One question.. When I take the cap off is there a lense or cover over the laser.. I unscrewed the cap quickly and wasn't sure if there was a lense or not, looked on the floor but could no find anything
thanks

No, the only lens is usually the collimating lens or lenses on the brass module inside.  

Yours is the type that is adjusted by internal screws on a perpendicular axis under the cap.  According to the other green laser thread on this board, they can be difficult to "zero".  Each adjustment screws press the module against a spring that is on the opposite side of the module.  If the screws are really snug in their threads, they'll be more likely to hold their "set".  I guess a good approach to zeroing would be to use minimal adjustments so that you don't loosen the threads up.  Or you could loctite them and then try to get your zero set before the loctite hardens.  

I linked to a green laser with lockable external adjustment features on my earlier post.

Repeat warning:  green laser is made by converting IR laser to green via a crystal.  In the absence of good quality controls, the output can be highly variable.  In the absence of an IR filter, and significant amount of IR laser may also be pouring out.  In other words, depending on how your laser is made (wattage of the IR pump diode and presence of IR filter), the potential is there to instantly and permanently damage your eyesight with these things.  Use common sense.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#36]

The parts are all in, I just gotta find the time.  I'll post pics once (if) I get it working.  

Cool, would be nice to have a bit of a roadmap before I go hacking up one myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know where to get one of the "good" green lasers besides ebay?
Does deal extreme have em?
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I just adjusted it a little to eotech. Thing does suck to adjust.. Why is ther three holes to adjust.. top one says u &d.. then there are two more adjustments on the left and right but one says left and one says right. why is there two for moving left and right.. I am going to order  the best one I can find tonight. then I will destroy this one
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#39]

I just adjusted it a little to eotech. Thing does suck to adjust.. Why is ther three holes to adjust.. top one says u &d.. then there are two more adjustments on the left and right but one says left and one says right. why is there two for moving left and right.. I am going to order  the best one I can find tonight. then I will destroy this one

Which one did you get, and which one would you like to get?
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]

BTW, where did you get the IR diode? Hack it out of another unit or buy it somewhere else? I've been looking at a AixiZ diode myself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Heres a pic .. Why is there two adjustments for left and right.. also I just emailed Viridian about there universal green laser.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20019081@N05/2442156998/
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]

BTW, where did you get the IR diode? Hack it out of another unit or buy it somewhere else? I've been looking at a AixiZ diode myself.

...see your other thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Heres a pic .. Why is there two adjustments for left and right.. also I just emailed Viridian about there universal green laser.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20019081@N05/2442156998/

The left/right adjustment would be a "squish".  To adjust to the right, you back off the right screw and tighten the left screw.  ...and vice versa.  

The elevation adjustment would be using a spring.  You tighten the screw and it presses the module against the spring.  Loosen it and the spring presses the module back up against the screw.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2008 10:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vadersi] [#44]
just disassembled it last night.. there is no way this thing would hold zero!  Simple design, but not for a weapon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20019081@N05/2442388877/
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I was looking at the "good" and "same good laser".  The good one says its upgraded to 10mv and same good one is <5mv.  What's the difference and which is better?
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 2:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCS] [#46]
My thoughts on 10mw vs 5mw labeling on "good" green lasers:

1 - I'm pretty sure those 2 lasers are exactly the same unit.

2 - Nobody knows what the output rating for the IR pump diode is.  It's likely between 10 and 50mw somewhere, but who knows...

3 - Nobody knows whether the crystal in this laser is 1-piece or 2-piece.  If a laser expert had a look at one, maybe we'd know more...

This is what the crystal looks like.  That's a small alligator clip holding it (ie it's small).  The crystal is glued into the brass holder with special white glue.  I have no idea whether it serves one purpose (convert IR to green) or two purposes (convert IR to green and filter out any remaining IR).  

This is what the module looks like:

The leftmost piece contains a collimating lens.

The next piece to the right contains an expander lens located distally of a small orifice.  

Then, moving in the proximal direction, you have the crystal, a spacer shim, a collimatng lens for the IR pump diode, and the diode itself.  

How it works:

The pump diode shines IR laser onto its collimator, which focuses a line-style beam onto the crystal.  The output from the crystal is green laser and (if unfiltered) also some IR laser. (how much?  No way to know without a meter.)

The small orifice could theoretically block much of the IR and some of the green.  How much is blocked?  No way to know w/o a meter.  

The expander lens sort of "organizes" much of the green beam onto the final collimator.  

The final collimator focuses the output into a small diameter beam.  

So how do you provide specifications for a laser like this for sale from China to USA?  

The best bet is to call it 5mw so it doesn't raise red flags at customs.  "It's a 5mw green laser.  It emits 5mw in the green spectrum."

What else is actually coming out?  I don't know, i don't have a meter for measuring output.  

I have read where people with meters have tested green lasers to find 5 or 10 mw of output in the green spectrum and another 'X' mw in the IR spectrum.  

If I were a chinese vendor who had a curious desire for honest specs (in the interests of safety), one way i could dance around the issue would be to juggle terms about total output, maybe listing 10mw total output somewhere in the ad so that knowledgeable people could begin to make better assumptions about what is actually coming out of the module.  

But I'd have to be careful about the labeling on the product package etc, because lasers rated at more than 5mw are subject to more stringent manufacturing, quality control, labeling, quality system, and sales-tracking regulations.  And they raise more red flags at customs.

Kind of wordy, but hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah that is very informative thanks.

If you were choosing which would you buy from?  The good one or the same good one?
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#48]
One of the links was to ebay store Supply Point 76.  

I bought a couple of things from them, and had no problems.  

I haven't bought from the other link.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2008 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I bought the PAQ-4C clone from stoner25. It works fine and zeroed no problem. I did need to replace the mount with a arms mount as the one that came with it was shit. also the cables are crap so I use the flapper only, as I don't trust the cables to hold up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:
I bought the PAQ-4C clone from stoner25. It works fine and zeroed no problem. I did need to replace the mount with a arms mount as the one that came with it was shit. also the cables are crap so I use the flapper only, as I don't trust the cables to hold up.

Cool.  What gen NV are you using?

If you set up a paper target at 30 or 50 yards and lase it, can you see the target well enough for any kind of shot placement?  

Got a dog?  Lase it at 50 yards - can you see the dog well enough to distinguish between its head and its butt?    

Those were some of the tests I did on that unit, and the reason I sent it back.  

But I'm pretty sure Andy got a lot of feedback on making the laser "less bright", so it'd be interesting to hear whether you have any bloom issues.  

Thx.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top