Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 61
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hfrog355:

I love the idea of the LAW folder, but after trying it, I determined it's just not my thing. I'm not a person who has much of a need to store a rifle in that manner though.

Didn't like the NX8, hardly at all. I like the size and the weight, but couldn't get comfortable (admittedly in a short time frame) behind the glass, especially when you dial it up. Just not my cup of tea.

Rifle looks bad ass though. RMR on top of glass sitting in a 1.93" mount is pretty high up there. How's the height of that compare to something like the Unity mounts?
View Quote
All fair things for sure, thanks for answering you had my curiosity for sure.

As far as the RMR height it is very comparable to the Unity FAST mount height for sure, moving it back to the rear made a huge difference on speed and ease of picking up the dot for me. I run a set of standards and I have no issues hitting time and accuracy with the RMR mounted how it is. I usually run it with the NX8 on 1x (if I dial power I have to do so with in the time constraint of the stage) and I run it with just the RMR).

I can run the NX8 just as fast and well as a T1 on a 1.93" mount and the magnification really in range stuff is only used at 50 depending (I'll dial up to like 4 again part of the time portion not prior to), where it shines for me is PID and high value shots in close proximity type deals (Ala Chuck Pressburg's spiel on LPVO's) and the trade off of having a good reticle/daytime illumination a very good 1x etc. is fine for a tight 8x eye box for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By karmapolice:

All fair things for sure, thanks for answering you had my curiosity for sure.

As far as the RMR height it is very comparable to the Unity FAST mount height for sure, moving it back to the rear made a huge difference on speed and ease of picking up the dot for me. I run a set of standards and I have no issues hitting time and accuracy with the RMR mounted how it is. I usually run it with the NX8 on 1x (if I dial power I have to do so with in the time constraint of the stage) and I run it with just the RMR).

I can run the NX8 just as fast and well as a T1 on a 1.93" mount and the magnification really in range stuff is only used at 50 depending (I'll dial up to like 4 again part of the time portion not prior to), where it shines for me is PID and high value shots in close proximity type deals (Ala Chuck Pressburg's spiel on LPVO's) and the trade off of having a good reticle/daytime illumination a very good 1x etc. is fine for a tight 8x eye box for me.
View Quote
On the NX8: Do you find the tight(er) eye box is more manageable at 1.93" vs a more standard AR mount height? How is cheek weld? From my armchair, I'd think a lower mount would be better with a smaller eye box, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

@wyoak41
Nice guns Brother.  Thanks for posting em up.  I just got an off the beaten path Firearm Type of Weapon Myself, a Desert Tech MDR.  It has proven to be extremely reliably over the past 500 rounds.  I guess I would call it My GoTo .308 at this point...It's interesting you are running an ACOG on Your Bullpup.  After shooting with the Accupoint for a bit, I have decided to mount an ACOG on this rig, most likely it's going to be a TA11-E or E-G, for the increased eye relief. Hopefully I can find an E-G as I have come to really appreciate the green post type reticles offered by Trijicon.  I have found this simple Green Triangle Post reticle to be of the fastest LPVO Reticles in My arsenal of optics and imagine it will be just as fast in an LPFO.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200210_132012-1271197.jpg
View Quote
Much appreciated @M-4matus. That's a fine looking MDR. I need to try one and really give it some work sometime. Modularity is very attractive. Honestly, I've got a love/hate with the ACOG. Ran a 1-4x on the bullpup and it just felt clunky, but so quick at 1x. Acog is the TA11 cross hair variety. Absolutely shines for medium range and Tavor is easy out to 600. Heads up peep is fast within 50, but it ain't quick, not as quick as I'd like. Tried an aimpoint, but I need to see what's coming before I have to worry about being quick. I always end up with an Acog anyway. Agreed on the Trijicon post reticles. Would quicken up my Tavor nicely. Tavor is the easiest handling rifle I've used. It simply shoots well and at all 5.56 effective ranges. 308 would be a game changer in that compact design. You mind having the blast that close?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By minion42:

On the NX8: Do you find the tight(er) eye box is more manageable at 1.93" vs a more standard AR mount height? How is cheek weld? From my armchair, I'd think a lower mount would be better with a smaller eye box, but what do I know.
View Quote
I ran a K16i in a 1.93" mount this weekend for the first time. It feels really goofy and shooting from prone starting standing on the clock was messy but 1x offhand was sweet. I'm a believer in 1.93" for dots, but it's gonna take a little more time before I'm all the way in on glass that high.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:33:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#5]
I ran a K16i in a 1.93" mount this weekend for the first time. It feels really goofy and shooting from prone starting standing on the clock was messy but 1x offhand was sweet. I'm a believer in 1.93" for dots, but it's gonna take a little more time before I'm all the way in on glass that high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By minion42:

Second this, it wouldn't really suit me mounting an LPVO that high.  I can see fine over my PEQ's with 1.57" mounted LPVO's. Also, the nature of any weapon I can think of that would require a high mount is mainly fixed around center mass shooting where a 1x optic is the best choice IMO.
I AM DEFINITELY NOT KNOCKING THAT SETUP THOUGH, EVERYONE SHOULD SHOOT WHAT WORKS WELL FOR THEM, I do like the gun a lot
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Second this, it wouldn't really suit me mounting an LPVO that high.  I can see fine over my PEQ's with 1.57" mounted LPVO's. Also, the nature of any weapon I can think of that would require a high mount is mainly fixed around center mass shooting where a 1x optic is the best choice IMO.
I AM DEFINITELY NOT KNOCKING THAT SETUP THOUGH, EVERYONE SHOULD SHOOT WHAT WORKS WELL FOR THEM, I do like the gun a lot
View Quote
I've been wanting to try a knights 1.93 or 1.94 (whatever it is idk) mount for my 1-8 but I'm worried that I'm so used to 1.5 from geissele that I'll end up hating it.

I'm using a mawl so my FOV isnt obscured at all, just want to see what the hype is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

I've been wanting to try a knights 1.93 or 1.94 (whatever it is idk) mount for my 1-8 but I'm worried that I'm so used to 1.5 from geissele that I'll end up hating it.

I'm using a mawl so my FOV isnt obscured at all, just want to see what the hype is.
View Quote
@SurtrsFire

Go for it. I went from 1.54" to a 2.04" G mount on an NX8/11.5" setup and I couldn't be happier. I'm already eyeballing the Badger 1.70" for my 14.5"/ATACR....
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

@SurtrsFire

Go for it. I went from 1.54" to a 2.04" G mount on an NX8/11.5" setup and I couldn't be happier. I'm already eyeballing the Badger 1.70" for my 14.5"/ATACR....
View Quote
Wish more companies made a 1.70" mount. Thinking I'll grab a badger myself, just be nice for more options.

I'm currently using 1.5" mounts. I have tried 1.93" and I liked it, but I think the 1.70" will be perfect for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavytank2] [#9]
- 16" Mid-length (1/7 chromed) smoother recoil than Carbine IMHO
- 20" Rifle if you have some mountain sh*t going on.
- Full length RIS to shroud barrel. w/basic flashlight ( don't need 1000 lumen, you need battery life.)
- Full-stock for space because 1) I'm a long arm'ed guy. 2) Less to F*K with.
- 5.56 for ammo because I don't fall for the "wildcat of the week" game magazines push.
- 62-75GR ammo, usually 62.

KISS, Accurate, Durable, etc.  Does everything you ask it. Recommend Eotech for CQB majority and aim point for mixed engagement.
F the short barrel fad. They are always the ones for sale, notice?

It's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By heavytank2:

- 16" Mid-length (1/7 chromed) smoother recoil than Carbine IMHO
- 20" Rifle if you have some mountain sh*t going on.
- Full length RIS to shroud barrel. w/basic flashlight ( don't need 1000 lumen, you need battery life.)
- Full-stock for space because 1) I'm a long arm'ed guy. 2) Less to F*K with.
- 5.56 for ammo because I don't fall for the "wildcat of the week" game magazines push.
- 62-75GR ammo, usually 62.

KISS, Accurate, Durable, etc.  Does everything you ask it. Recommend Eotech for CQB majority and aim point for mixed engagement.
F the short barrel fad. They are always the ones for sale, notice?

It's what I'd do.
View Quote
All though I would get a 14.5 for shtf I don't know what you mean with short barrels? If distances are within 2-300 yards I don't see a huge difference and the mobility in that situation would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#11]
It's what I'd do.

@heavytank2
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 16" anymore.  I'm 18'' SPR Profile for LR or 14-5 RECCE. 11-5 for Night Vision and 10-3 Suppressed for mobile search and assault.  I completely agree on the Mid Length Gassed Barrel, Carbine I  believe has proven a thing of the past or, at the very least an unnecessary decrease in Dwelltime.  Mid Length has proven itself reliable and certainly provides a more manageable muzzle.  One could argue Mid Length more reliable than Carbine due to the decrease in dwelltime If I have to grab One, 14-5 daytime - 11-5 nighttime.  I'd probably grab the 14-5 and pack the 11-5 Upper realistically.
I have yet to acquire an AMBI KAC Lower. On my way out the door Id throw the KAC 14-5 Mod 2 E3 on an LMT AMBI Lower and Pack the 11-5 Upper and JP SCS and just swap Buffers

I guess I'd have to install SF Warcomps on both to accept my Can as well...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
It's very hard to beat a 14.5 middy for smoothness. I have a 14.5 pinned middy in an Aero builders kit with an A2 stock. Easily one of the smoothest AR's I've ever shot. I have yet to have a failure on it and I run all kinds of filthy ammo through that little whore. Steel case...lacquer coated, brass, whatever. I have yet to clean it....at 1000 or so rounds now? Spray in some CLP and wipe it down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
So refernce the 1.93" mount with LPVO. I have no issues with it even shooting at 8x in a prone position but I also have a long neck etc. I would want at least a 1.70" height mount for several reasons but again a lot of that is personal and what works for me.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#14]
Attachment Attached File

hopefully it is visible now. thanks for letting me know it didn't display
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#15]
@taliv
I am unable to view Your image.  I don't think Your attachment method worked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By karmapolice:
So refernce the 1.93" mount with LPVO. I have no issues with it even shooting at 8x in a prone position but I also have a long neck etc. I would want at least a 1.70" height mount for several reasons but again a lot of that is personal and what works for me.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p640x640/71726690_2483327708569517_3435961780826800128_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=2MVhHuBMe-0AX87jQ-u&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=736d48b239baacd827e7b313fe24ea06&oe=5EC6A693
View Quote
@karmapolice
I suppose depending on reticle simplicity I could dig it.?.  I just don't ever actually need more that 4x for anything under 300 when going for any type of speed shooting.  I have a few 1-8's and have found them best suited for Mid range shooting on AR-10's and things like that.  I am even having a hard time getting used to my RAZOR(which I only bought because I received a 20% off coupon from Geissele when I bought my URG-i Complete, I figured at $1,119.20 for the Razor and Geissele SOCOM Mount I had to buy one, that and a Comp M5 w/ mount for $657.60).  I have just found I am much faster with 1x Optics and with the more I train, the farther I can successfully shoot 1x.  The only LPVO I can even compare in speed is My Green Triangle Post Accupoint 1-4.  Prone I'm very accurate at 400, pretty good at 500, deadly under 350.

For me, the higher mounts are all about fast shooting or night shooting, anything over 4x has never seemed to do anything but make me shoot worse in those two classes of shooting.  I wish I was faster with an 8x, but I suppose my hands just are not steady enough.  For a GoTo setup(daytime, nighttime, fast, prone, hunting, Force on Force) the Triangle Post 1-4 provides the best all around results for Me.  Maybe I will give a 1.93 mount a try on the 1-4.  A taller heads up stance dose suit me better in most cases...  It's certainly better when I'm wearing an NV Monocular.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
it doesn't show, and if we click on it, we have to be logged into thehighroad.org to see this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#18]
@taliv
I am unable to view Your image.  I don't think Your attachment method worked.
View Quote
hopefully fixed, thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By taliv:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54707/sbr1_jpg-1274157.JPG

hopefully it is visible now. thanks for letting me know it didn't display
View Quote
Gonna need some deets on that can, man...
@taliv
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Gonna need some deets on that can, man...
@taliv
View Quote
It’s a delta p designs mini brevis.  Highly recommend them for an sbr
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
BCM SBR lower
LaRue MBT2
B5 stock
BCM 11.5 upper
EoTech (have magnifier also)
SNACH charging handle
Troy backups
Surefire mini scout
GA Recce 5
Magpul or Armageddon sling

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#22]

View Quote
It shows now, also whats the weight on that Can?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
In regards to that Can.  I was under the impression there is fairly sound evidence that width of Suppressors can't really decrease sound as effectively as length.  What are your thoughts on this @taliv?  Is it as quiet your typical 5.5''-6.5'' Can One might choose for an SBR.  Say something like a Turbo K or SF SOCOM 2 RS...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
In regards to that Can.  I was under the impression there is fairly sound evidence that width of Suppressors can't really decrease sound as effectively as length.  What are your thoughts on this @taliv?  Is it as quiet your typical 5.5''-6.5'' Can One might choose for an SBR.  Say something like a Turbo K or SF SOCOM 2 RS...
View All Quotes

I don't have a scale handy so don't know the weight off hand.  short answer is, i think it's pretty effective, but obviously it isn't really ear safe, just takes the edge off the short barrel

i have no doubt that length is more effective than width for suppression, but width is still pretty effective.   I have no experience with the two cans you mentioned, but i do have the 5" short thunderbeast 30cal can, and 3 of their 9" long ones, plus a few other 223 and pistol cans.  short cans are louder, no doubt.  and my subjective comparison is appreciably shy of authoritative.  that said, my guess is it would be indistinguishable from a narrow 5" can.

but the important point is it's much quieter than say, a 14" bare muzzle.  and way way quieter than a 10" barrel, which are obnoxiously loud.   It's not ear safe, but to my ears it's less than a 22lr pistol.  that one stays next to the bed.  if i had to shoot it indoors i wouldn't enjoy it but wouldn't totally lose my hearing.

one other point of interest, for which i have an opinion but no data, is that the doesn't affect the action of the gun as much as my 9" traditional suppressors.  i.e. not as much overgassing.  when combined with the S setting on the noveske switchblock and the extra reciprocating weight of the LAW folder (added a few years ago before that pic was taken) it's really a smooth shooting gun.   weight might have something to do with it too as it's quite heavy

i would definitely buy one again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
BCM SBR lower
LaRue MBT2
B5 stock
BCM 11.5 upper
SNACH charging handle
Troy backups
Surefire mini scout
GA Recce 5

https://i.imgur.com/f8GhOsj.jpg
View Quote
How do you like the SNACH. I was think about going that route
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
BCM SBR lower
LaRue MBT2
B5 stock
BCM 11.5 upper
SNACH charging handle
Troy backups
Surefire mini scout
GA Recce 5

View Quote
How is it gassed being suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#27]

I don't have a scale handy so don't know the weight off hand.  short answer is, i think it's pretty effective, but obviously it isn't really ear safe, just takes the edge off the short barrel

i have no doubt that length is more effective than width for suppression, but width is still pretty effective.   I have no experience with the two cans you mentioned, but i do have the 5" short thunderbeast 30cal can, and 3 of their 9" long ones, plus a few other 223 and pistol cans.  short cans are louder, no doubt.  and my subjective comparison is appreciably shy of authoritative.  that said, my guess is it would be indistinguishable from a narrow 5" can.

but the important point is it's much quieter than say, a 14" bare muzzle.  and way way quieter than a 10" barrel, which are obnoxiously loud.   It's not ear safe, but to my ears it's less than a 22lr pistol.  that one stays next to the bed.  if i had to shoot it indoors i wouldn't enjoy it but wouldn't totally lose my hearing.

one other point of interest, for which i have an opinion but no data, is that the doesn't affect the action of the gun as much as my 9" traditional suppressors.  i.e. not as much overgassing.  when combined with the S setting on the noveske switchblock and the extra reciprocating weight of the LAW folder (added a few years ago before that pic was taken) it's really a smooth shooting gun.   weight might have something to do with it too as it's quite heavy

i would definitely buy one again.
View Quote
@taliv
Thanks for the info.  Regards.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:
@DV8EDD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:
BCM SBR lower
LaRue MBT2
B5 stock
BCM 11.5 upper
SNACH charging handle
Troy backups
Surefire mini scout
GA Recce 5

@DV8EDD
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
@DV8EDD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
BCM SBR lower
LaRue MBT2
B5 stock
BCM 11.5 upper
SNACH charging handle
Troy backups
Surefire mini scout
GA Recce 5

@DV8EDD
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
Interesting. I may try this with the Armaspec version to see how it does
View All Quotes
So, it official, my newest LMT Build is my All Time Favorite Firearm and *AR10* H2, JP Silent Captured Springs make SBR's and AR Pistols AWESOME.  560 rounds through it without a single failure and everyone that has shot it can't believe how light the recoil is.  Virtually no muzzle rise.  The reason for this is due to three key factors.  1) LMT Enhanced BCG  2)most importantly- AR10 H2 JP Silent Captured Spring 3) SF Warcomp.  These three components will be installed in every AR I build with less than a 13-7 Barrel from now on.  Follow up shots are just insanely fast, This is the best shooting AR Platformed firearm I have ever used bar none.

*note, the green Pistol Brace is temporary, it is for my HRT Build that has not shipped from Geissele.  This will be SBR'd and will be sporting an FDE SOPMOD

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200203_090525-1261237.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200203_090424-1261238.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200203_092110-1261250.jpg
Interesting. I may try this with the Armaspec version to see how it does
I put a Armaspec in one of my rifles to try out. So far I am going to give it a giant thumbs up.
I’m only at 400-500 rounds on it but its been great and I am going to install them on a couple more rifles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mc556:

I put a Armaspec in one of my rifles to try out. So far I am going to give it a giant thumbs up.
I’m only at 400-500 rounds on it but its been great and I am going to install them on a couple more rifles.
View Quote
@mc556   Did you go with the AR10 version?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#33]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mc556:

No I did not.
I will be able to do a back to back with with a regular setup vs armaspec in quick succession.
I built a near clone of my main rifle.
Attachment Attached File

Identical uppers only the trigger optic and buffers are different.  The A2 flash hiders will get changed out once I decide what suppressor qd system I am going to standardize on.
I will shoot them side by side this weekend. I bought the Armaspec due to the JP price but like it enough I may try the JP setup in a different rifle. These two will be identical twins after I pick up another EOtech, B5 stock and Larue trigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#34]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:

https://i.imgur.com/hHi9Weq.jpg
View Quote
@The-Ant1-Liberal
I'm digging this Rig.  Simple, short, tuff...All the things that are  good in an M4.  I am currently searching for this exact Lower.  If anyone has an extra or a lead, please let me know.  Also, I am jealous of your Elcan 1x4x, it is one of the only in use Issued Optics I have yet to Own, soon enough.

Is this a Home Build? What year is this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MRW:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/DA56F2A5-93DB-4240-9581-FCC82E149EE4-1242423.jpg

Spikes lightweight barrel with ALG handguard and homemade LED supplemented 1.5x ACOG. It also wears a light now.

5-300 yard capable. Simple and reliable
View Quote
@MRW
Did you have to buy a special alg emr rail or use an mlok for the light mount? Im pretty much cloning your rifle but will have TA31RCO and faxon 18 gunner
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#36]
If i tell you where i got the barrels for my two go-to rifles, my account will get locked for COC violation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#37]

@The-Ant1-Liberal
I'm digging this Rig.  Simple, short, tuff...All the things that are  good in an M4.  I am currently searching for this exact Lower.  If anyone has an extra or a lead, please let me know.  Also, I am jealous of your Elcan 1x4x, it is one of the only in use Issued Optics I have yet to Own, soon enough.

View Quote
Sorta...the KAC upper was sold years ago and the lower sat in my safe.  I picked up a NIB DD MK18 upper last December from the EE and decided to do an SBR.   As for the Elcan, they are choice...accept no substitute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorta...the KAC upper was sold years ago and the lower sat in my safe.  I picked up a NIB DD MK18 upper last December from the EE and decided to do an SBR.   As for the Elcan, they are choice...accept no substitute.
View All Quotes

@The-Ant1-Liberal

@The-Ant1-Liberal
So, I just bought an MDR, I know, totally different animal than what we are talking about here, but.  I have an Accupower 1-8 mounted on t now and it is just a bit too big and just does not feel right, sort of hard to shoot. This being my first Bullpup, I understand it's going to require a lot of training to get used to the platform itself.  Either way, I have been thinking an Elcan 1x 4x would be much better for the MDR, mainly due to the length of the Elcan and the fact that I don't think the MDR Platform benefits much from anything above 4x or 5x
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I’m done with this one except maybe an ambi safety.

This does my close up and distance.  The malkoff upgraded head has the scout easily identifying targets out to distance.  I’m very happy how this turned out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:

This does my close up and distance.  The malkoff upgraded head has the scout easily identifying targets out to distance.  I’m very happy how this turned out.
View Quote
I really like that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Ant1-Liberal] [#42]

@The-Ant1-Liberal
So, I just bought an MDR, I know, totally different animal than what we are talking about here, but.  I have an Accupower 1-8 mounted on t now and it is just a bit too big and just does not feel right, sort of hard to shoot. This being my first Bullpup, I understand it's going to require a lot of training to get used to the platform itself.  Either way, I have been thinking an Elcan 1x 4x would be much better for the MDR, mainly due to the length of the Elcan and the fact that I don't think the MDR Platform benefits much from anything above 4x or 5x
View Quote
@M-4matus

It would work IMO and with its placement on the MDR, your extended arm wouldn't feel too much of the Elcan's added weight.

Truth be told, I've been looking/contemplating at the Steyer AUG for sometime...something about the BP design.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#43]
@The-Ant1-Liberal
eah, The Bullpup is a very different animal.  It's going to take me a lot of getting used to.  I bought it for hunting.  Going to need to work on the trigger.  The MDR has a pretty good trigger for a Bull Pup from my understanding, and it still sucks.  Going to polish the Trigger Bars and we'll see.  I hear Desert Tech has a different trigger for the new MDRx and will most likely be up for purchase or DT will offer it as an in house replacment option.

I have started to get used to the current stock trigger, but having a 1/2'' long 6lbs trigger pull has been hard for a Geissele Trigger Fan like me to get used to.

All that being said, The MDR is supposed to have a much better trigger than the Styr AUG Trigger, so it might be really bad...

I think after 1000 rounds or so I'll have this MDR/Bullpup thing figured out.  I have been doing ok out to 150.  Of course prone out to 500 is not an issue, but One usually does not find Ones Self Prone while hunting Whitetail Deer in the woods of Maine.  I also need to tame the muzzle rise, so once I get a decent MD on it I believe it will be much more shooter friendly.  As for Recoil, that is very light.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#44]
https://i.imgur.com/YExGefP.jpg
View Quote
That's what my Colt AF is turning out like. Nice to see what my plan looks like in real life!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
That's what my Colt AF is turning out like. Nice to see what my plan looks like in real life!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
https://i.imgur.com/YExGefP.jpg
Thanks man.  It I’m way happy with how it turned out.  Very useful and not heavy at all.  I’m going to have to shoot more with the rmr on top of the acog to get accustom to it but I’m liking it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By boerseun:
It's very hard to beat a 14.5 middy for smoothness. I have a 14.5 pinned middy in an Aero builders kit with an A2 stock. Easily one of the smoothest AR's I've ever shot. I have yet to have a failure on it and I run all kinds of filthy ammo through that little whore. Steel case...lacquer coated, brass, whatever. I have yet to clean it....at 1000 or so rounds now? Spray in some CLP and wipe it down.
View Quote
Let see a pic @boerseun
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#47]
And here is My RECCE Setup again. KAC 14-5 Mod 2 E3 Sandcutter URX4.  I had put the lower together with whatever I had.  This is the finished product...at least until I buy a Full Ambi KAC Lower and receive My M600DF from BDU. I should add, I'm really digging these Geissele Dog-Leg Selector Switches.  Probably my new favorite SS
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Standard] [#48]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#49]
Since you said rifles other than AR's were okay, heres my Tavor. This is my "go to" right now. Aimpoint T2 on a Geissele lower 1/3 mount, MI handguard and a Streamlight. This rifle is just super compact and balances really well, while maintaining a 16" barrel and still being a rifle. I'm going to drop a G trigger in it at some point and spray the whole thing with coyote Aervoe.

Attachment Attached File

My favorite AR for right now since we are in the AR forum. The Razor and mount will eventually go back on another rifle, but for right now I don't have another LPVO and I'm having too much fun playing with this set up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Radical RF-15
For my current needs this is setup is perfect for me.  Now if it really came down to the wire I'D probably grab one of my aks but this my go to AR

Page / 61
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top