Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 118 of 146)
Page / 146
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A4 is done for awhile, feels
Super smooth and solid. NM carry handle and a regular GI one as well for long range testing/normal. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Best way to run the surefire switch cable? I have it electrical taped right now
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
View Quote
I guess that depends on where you're putting it
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I use this https://clouddefensive.com/product/lcs/
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
We used ranger bands (cut sections of bike tire tube). Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my FN contract overrun upper on a Aero lower, early GWOT style.

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sharp looking rifle!
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Aero Precision M16A4 from Brownells... not completely clone correct with the QD optic mount and KRAM, but I love this setup.  Great shooter!

Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#9]
New to the M16A4 clone game.  I picked up the NOS FN upper and found an FN BCG.  So, I'm off and running.

Are FN charging handles marked differently than Colt ones?

And I'm guessing FN lowers are essentially unicorns...esp with the football logo?

ETA:  Further research suggests that FN uses charging handles with cage code 2U136. I know that is not an FN made product but is that the "more correct" code for an FN clone?  Or is the Colt cage code'd CH equally valid?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice find on the BCG. I just got my upper yesterday. Also wondering if someone can tell me if the KAC veto beach vertical grip is the correct one I’m looking for? There are two different ones I have found with cage codes. One is a lot cheaper than the other.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striknine] [#11]
Picked up one of the recent OOW FN uppers as well. Very happy with the quality and accuracy so far.
Not going the clone route so to say but but will be installing a fixed butt stock.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
My FN barrel is outstanding, repeatable superb accuracy I’m a fan!
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wally05:
Aero Precision M16A4 from Brownells... not completely clone correct with the QD optic mount and KRAM, but I love this setup.  Great shooter!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48264572622_fc797e8c87_b.jpg
View Quote
BOSS!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
How do you like the aero precision M16A4 upper? I have an extra lower with A2 stock so I was thinking about getting the 20" Govt upper from BCM.

The price is very similar (but BCM doesn't come with carry handle or A2 handguards)

Also, where is everyone sourcing their M5 RAS from?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:
How do you like the aero precision M16A4 upper? I have an extra lower with A2 stock so I was thinking about getting the 20" Govt upper from BCM.

The price is very similar (but BCM doesn't come with carry handle or A2 handguards)

View Quote
Bcm 20” uppers are good to go, very nice. I’ve picked my rails up from the EE here every time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:

View Quote
The aero upper is stellar.  If you buy the full clone rifle, you get the chrome lined barrel.  Accuracy is stellar with fiocchi 55gr so far.  This comes with the knights m5 ras.  I think the value with a 10% coupon is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
New to the M16A4 clone game.  I picked up the NOS FN upper and found an FN BCG.  So, I'm off and running.

Are FN charging handles marked differently than Colt ones?

And I'm guessing FN lowers are essentially unicorns...esp with the football logo?

ETA:  Further research suggests that FN uses charging handles with cage code R. I know that is not an FN made product but is that the "more correct" code for an FN clone?  Or is the Colt cage code'd CH equally valid?
View Quote
A USGI charging handle is the same across the contracted manufactures, hence MilSpec.  I've seen the FN and PG&M cage codes but never seen a Colt marked CH in all my years that I've noticed.  Only CH not built to those specs is the PRI M84 Gas Buster and the new Geissele Airborne CH that SOCOM/USASOC uses.

CD
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

A USGI charging handle is the same across the contracted manufactures, hence MilSpec.  I've seen the FN and PG&M cage codes but never seen a Colt marked CH in all my years that I've noticed.  Only CH not built to those specs is the PRI M84 Gas Buster and the new Geissele Airborne CH that SOCOM/USASOC uses.

CD
View Quote
I've also never seen a marked CH on any colt M4s I've used.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote
Thanks.  I've got a restricted 6920 from 10 years ago.  I think I'll poach the CH from that and throw it on my FN upper.

ETA:  When I EAS'ed, the A4 was just coming on line.  Not an M4 in sight.  I don't remember seeing a CH with a cage code on any M16...but I also wasn't paying much attention.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok.  The A4 clone bug has bitten me bad.

I managed to snag a BCP US Gov A4 lower.  Tina said this was the last one in stock.

Who do you guys recommend for engraving the lower with the FN football logo?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#21]
Ok.  The A4 clone bug has bitten me bad.

I managed to snag a BCP US Gov A4 lower.  Tina said this was the last one in stock.

Who do you guys recommend for engraving the lower with the FN football logo?
View Quote
Check with IDENT MARKING SERVICES  |  469-464-5500  |  [email protected]

They will do finished lowers. There are several other engravers that will only do 80% lowers. Personally, I would not worry about the FN logo and just leave that space blank.

Attachment Attached File

BTW, I am one of the two guys responsible for BCP making these lowers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#22]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

Check with IDENT MARKING SERVICES  |  469-464-5500  |  [email protected]

They will do finished lowers. There are several other engravers that will only do 80% lowers. Personally, I would not worry about the FN logo and just leave that space blank.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/008_JPG-1019663.JPG

BTW, I am one of the two guys responsible for BCP making these lowers.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  I'm aware of your role in getting the BCP A4 marked lowers to market.  Your effort is both noted and sincerely appreciated.

I'm spiking A4 Clone Fever at the moment.  The logo would be a perfect compliment to the NOS "F" marked FN upper I recently picked up...and might be part of the antidote.  I have to try.

S/F
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I don’t have an educated opinion on the subject, but several of the posters in this thread had strong opinions that installing any M16 FCG components may not be a good idea (linked to posted that highlights the definition of a machine gun):

FA hammer on semi rifle

Whether or not the definition is clear, it strikes me as one of those things that may not be worth dealing with someone’s interpretation of the law if it ever becomes an issue.
View Quote
Yes, you should check out the case of United States v. Olofson. He got 30 months for making a illegal FA ar15. A key thing about the case is that they proved it by looking at his ordering history of the FA control group as well as his acknowledgement that he knew of the "malfunction" of the third mode.

The guy made his lower by installing a FA control group and selector that allowed it to go into a third position. It did what is called a "hammer ride" and allowed for shooting in FA in the third position.

In my opinion, if you make the gun such that it fires one round per pull of the trigger, you are okay. So that means you can have a FA trigger group with a SA selector. You'll be a-okay in such a case.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:10:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JUDGED12carried6] [#24]
Originally Posted By JUDGED12carried6:
Nice find on the BCG. I just got my upper yesterday. Also wondering if someone can tell me if the KAC veto beach vertical grip is the correct one I’m looking for? There are two different ones I have found with cage codes. One is a lot cheaper than the other.
View Quote

Can anyone answer this? I’m just a few parts away!

Edit with additional confusion.

I have been trying to determine what era these FN uppers from Ohio Ordnance Works were made and am a bit confused. Based on page #1 of thread Im not sure what I have. The rifle feed ramped barrels non M marked flat top receivers tell me these are "Early A4s". Gray barrel, front sight post and birdcage also.

The rail (black in color) not purple and the later use of P&S rail components are indicative of "war year production.

So far I would guess that these are early production uppers and that the original rails were removed to sell separate?

I've been doing my do diligence by reading. Any help would be appreciated. For everyone else I would be glad to share part suppliers I have found if interested.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 6:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mech4matsnova] [#25]
USMC A4 w/ MARS sight(IDF)

Link Posted: 7/21/2019 7:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 86HMMWV] [#26]
[/b][/b]

Edit with additional confusion.

I have been trying to determine what era these FN uppers from Ohio Ordnance Works were made and am a bit confused. Based on page #1 of thread Im not sure what I have. The rifle feed ramped barrels non M marked flat top receivers tell me these are "Early A4s". Gray barrel, front sight post and birdcage also.

The rail (black in color) not purple and the later use of P&S rail components are indicative of "war year production.

So far I would guess that these are early production uppers and that the original rails were removed to sell separate?

I've been doing my do diligence by reading. Any help would be appreciated. For everyone else I would be glad to share part suppliers I have found if interested.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402445/pic_2_jpg-1023024.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402445/pic_3_jpg-1023025.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402445/pic_4_jpg-1023026.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402445/pics_jpg-1023023.JPG
View Quote
Are you trying to put together an A4 from a particular year? I have a couple of Knight's Armament VFG's here, and one of them is marked with "KAC" along with the logo, and I believe the other is marked with the CAGE code. If you're not trying to put together a rifle from a particular year, either will be fine, just make sure whatever you buy is genuine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
From what I’ve seen, the general rule of thumb seems to be that the Vero Beach marked parts are older, like up until the late 2000s or so (not sure when they moved to Titusville), but there are definitely some variations in the way the VFGs were marked. I’m going through a similar search because I want my rail covers to be correct for a 2004 production A4. If you’re not concerned about getting the time period that specific, either version will work.

Here’s how the one that came wiith my 04/02 dated M4 RAS is marked (the other side just has the KAC logo):

Attachment Attached File

If you remove the M5 handguard, you can see the manufacture date stamped on the barrel like this:

Attachment Attached File

Obviously, the barrel could have sat on a shelf for a while before being assembled as part of a rifle or upper, but it at least tells you the earliest that the upper could have been made. I was surprised that mine in the photo above had a date of 01/09 but had the FN CAGE code stamped on the barrel. I thought they were still using the FNMI stamp at that point. FN must have switched to the CAGE code much earlier than Colt. I also have an ‘04 barrel with the FNMI stamp.

I’ve been trying to find out if FN ever used a raised F with the forge mark on flat top uppers. I’m cloning an ‘04 FN that I was issued but don’t recall what markings it had. I’m planning to just use the F / Cerro keyhole upper I got from Ohio Ordnance with upper my ‘04 FNMI-marked barrel. I share your desire to figure out what parts are correct for what time period, but I’ve had a hard time finding that kind of info for FN A4s.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

8/12 on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#29]
And updated pic with ACOG installed. Top panels and buis removed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lafmedic1] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#31]
Getting there:  NOS FN Upper, BCP lower, KAC VFG, Colt CH, FN bolt/1B1B6 carrier.

I have all Colt lower parts/stock/RE. that I need to build when time permits.   Simply could not find any FN lower parts.

Just need the ACOG, sling, and bayonet.

Big thanks to Birddog1911 khawk for the assistance.

@Birddog1911 @khawk

Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#32]
@USMC_JA

Glad to help, brother, even if I have no idea of just what i did to help!
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
So, somehow I wound up with an extra Killflash for an RCO.

I'd love to find some flip open covers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
@USMC_JA

Glad to help, brother, even if I have no idea of just what i did to help!
View Quote
Shit.  In my fatigue, I got the name wrong.  Sorry.

But you were also an inspiration!  For what?  I don't know.  But plenty to go around.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting there:  NOS FN Upper, BCP lower, KAC VFG, Colt CH, FN bolt/1B1B6 carrier.

I have all Colt lower parts/stock/RE. that I need to build when time permits.   Simply could not find any FN lower parts.

Just need the ACOG, sling, and bayonet.

Big thanks to Birddog1911 khawk for the assistance.

@Birddog1911 @khawk

https://i.imgur.com/DNV1fA9.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/x2pGccZ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/inDudQs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LMm0Xxz.jpg
View Quote
You're welcome and glad I could help. That lower is super nice!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JUDGED12carried6] [#36]
Can someone measure their FN football logo. Trying to verify if my decal is correct. I get 5/8 x just under 7/16”. Also looking for any other advice on font types, depth and indexing for everything. Also this other sticker a spacer or trash

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Just picked up this FN bcg. Does anyone know when they started marking the bolts with MPF in this triangular shape? Carrier is F marked and the extractor is 3s679 cage code marked. The whole carrier looks brand new so I'm assuming its newer manufacturer. Were these only found in M4s or were they also in M16A4s?
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mauser48A:
Just picked up this FN bcg. Does anyone know when they started marking the bolts with MPF in this triangular shape? Carrier is F marked and the extractor is 3s679 cage code marked. The whole carrier looks brand new so I'm assuming its newer manufacturer. Were these only found in M4s or were they also in M16A4s?
http://i.imgur.com/1PFE6p0.jpg
View Quote
I recently bought an FN bcg with similar markings on the bolt off the EE and contacted FN to verify it but they never would get back to me so I returned it.  I was suspicious as to the authenticity of it
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By duke23433:

I recently bought an FN bcg with similar markings on the bolt off the EE and contacted FN to verify it but they never would get back to me so I returned it.  I was suspicious as to the authenticity of it
View Quote
Being that the carrier is F marked and the extractor is cage coded I would think its gtg.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#40]
After reading the OP I saw that the A.R.M.S. #59M was seen on select unit's M16A4s, as we know this is seen on the rifle Travis Haley has in Najaf. I wasn't aware until reading up on it that it was considered part of the A4 family (after reading that it just makes sense, though!). My question is since parts are changed in the field, would the ACOG be at home on such a setup, or would that optic be married to being attached to only the flat top?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Where are you guys getting the A2 from? Any sites you would recommend?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
After reading the OP I saw that the A.R.M.S. #59M was seen on select unit's M16A4s, as we know this is seen on the rifle Travis Haley has in Najaf. I wasn't aware until reading up on it that it was considered part of the A4 family (after reading that it just makes sense, though!). My question is since parts are changed in the field, would the ACOG be at home on such a setup, or would that optic be married to being attached to only the flat top?
View Quote
Haley was a contractor at that time and the rifle in question was a Bushmaster.

So, do what ever you want.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#43]
From a collectibility stand point. What is everyone’s view of the surplus FN M16A4 uppers with Knights branded M5 RAS over P&S Solutions?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
From a collectibility stand point. What is everyone’s view of the surplus FN M16A4 uppers with Knights branded M5 RAS over P&S Solutions?
View Quote
I have had both the Knights and the P&S rail systems and they are hard to tell apart other than the markings.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
recoil gunworks has pd trade in killflashes for acogs if anyone needs one
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#46]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

View Quote
Correct. Travis Haley was in Najaf, Iraq in 2004 with Blackwater USA as a contractor. The rifle he used was a Bushmaster. I built a clone of that rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

M16A4s use the KAC or P&S Products M5 RAS like these.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's my latest A4 from Sabre Defence.  This was assembled with a NOS Sabre Defence M16A4 upper receiver and a Sabre Defence XR-15 lower receiver.  The FCG, CH, grip, and stock body are Colt.  The BCG is a Toolcraft.  The lower parts are from SOLGW.  The carrying handle was a spare I had in my parts bin.

Here's a USMC issued Sabre Defence M16A4 for reference:

Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Great info and inspiration in this thread.

Recently received an NOS FN upper from OOW for my M16A4 clone build.

Pulled an LMT lower out of the safe that will be my base. No burst or auto markings but I like whats stamped on it.

My photo submission for a pic thread for the time being.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

View Quote
I should have been more clear. With the raised mounting height of the ACOG on the A.R.M.S. rail, would that be enough to throw off the holdover marks in the reticle? I think it might be a pretty cool setup, but if using it outside of it's intended use is more of a hassle than it's worth then I'll just go classic A4.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

I should have been more clear. With the raised mounting height of the ACOG on the A.R.M.S. rail, would that be enough to throw off the holdover marks in the reticle? I think it might be a pretty cool setup, but if using it outside of it's intended use is more of a hassle than it's worth then I'll just go classic A4.
View Quote
I think you are much better off sticking with the classic A4 setup with the M5 RAS and an ACOG.
Page / 146
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 118 of 146)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top