Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 126 of 147)
Page / 147
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Scored a KAC VFG on the EE tonight. I'll have everything to complete my upper into a full rifle by the end of the week hopefully. last thing needed is sling mounts front and back.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Im growing another A4 in parts. Have Buffer tube and buffer, A2 Hand Guards and a Carry handle sight and grip. Sigh....  Maybe I go crazy and put a lightweight BCG and Faxon Lightweight barrel in it. I need to see if I can put a regular FSP and Handguard cap on their barrels
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:12:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gongo] [#3]
-----
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hemiman:
Scored a KAC VFG on the EE tonight. I'll have everything to complete my upper into a full rifle by the end of the week hopefully. last thing needed is sling mounts front and back.

https://i.imgur.com/2B2JBSv.jpg
View Quote

Nice kit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
This is my Colt AR15A4, I grabbed it at the Tampa gunshow a few years ago, it was the only one they had out on the table and when I picked it up I knew I wanted it. Of course the first thing I did was get a RAS for it but it turned out I wasn't a big fan of it. To me it was heavy and I wasn't a fan of holding the rifle with the vert grip. So I reverted back to the A2 plastic handguards and my grip felt much better. Then I thought I wasn't really a fan of the A2 stock either because it felt so long, so I put an A1 stock on it which felt pretty nice until I actually had to shoot with it and the carry handle kept slapping me in the face. So then I reverted back to the A2 stock which I should've just left alone in the first place. Then I got the BFG nsn sling for it, but I wasn't much of a fan of it either for some reason. I reverted back to the Colt silent sling that came with my rifle because it is just simpler and I can loop it tight around my arm for more stability. At this point basically everything that came with the rifle in the box was perfect the way it was except the A2 grip. I just couldn't stand the little finger nub so I replaced it with the miad grip which not only fills the hand better, it also doesn't have the stupid nub. Surprisingly the milspec trigger mine came with was pretty nice actually but I replaced it with a G SSA-E trigger which is much nicer anyway. Then I got the TA31RCOA4 and haven't looked back since. This barrel is fucken tight and I'm able to shoot 1.5 moa groups w/ m193 with this setup. I put the RAS back on just cause it is badass looking and it isn't so heavy without all the panels and vert grip so I kinda like it now and this is the way I like it set up. This is definitely my fave AR and the one I would take with me into the gates of hell.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
This is my Colt AR15A4, I grabbed it at the Tampa gunshow a few years ago, it was the only one they had out on the table and when I picked it up I knew I wanted it. Of course the first thing I did was get a RAS for it but it turned out I wasn't a big fan of it. To me it was heavy and I wasn't a fan of holding the rifle with the vert grip. So I reverted back to the A2 plastic handguards and my grip felt much better. Then I thought I wasn't really a fan of the A2 stock either because it felt so long, so I put an A1 stock on it which felt pretty nice until I actually had to shoot with it and the carry handle kept slapping me in the face. So then I reverted back to the A2 stock which I should've just left alone in the first place. Then I got the BFG nsn sling for it, but I wasn't much of a fan of it either for some reason. I reverted back to the Colt silent sling that came with my rifle because it is just simpler and I can loop it tight around my arm for more stability. At this point basically everything that came with the rifle in the box was perfect the way it was except the A2 grip. I just couldn't stand the little finger nub so I replaced it with the miad grip which not only fills the hand better, it also doesn't have the stupid nub. Surprisingly the milspec trigger mine came with was pretty nice actually but I replaced it with a G SSA-E trigger which is much nicer anyway. Then I got the TA31RCOA4 and haven't looked back since. This barrel is fucken tight and I'm able to shoot 1.5 moa groups w/ m193 with this setup. I put the RAS back on just cause it is badass looking and it isn't so heavy without all the panels and vert grip so I kinda like it now and this is the way I like it set up. This is definitely my fave AR and the one I would take with me into the gates of hell.

https://i.imgur.com/6XqcrkJ.jpg
View Quote

That’s badass man, very nice setup. I love my m16a2 clone that way, and I will finish my current A4 this year!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hemiman] [#7]
Lower came in today, nothing special, PSA marked M16A4. And a take off Colt select fire safety. Only mark on it is the H.

Now just waiting on my FN buttstock kit and LPK which is sadly just a CMMG kit, nothing cool like a Colt kit for 5x the price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.  I got one of those PSA M16A4 lowers and a bunch of FN parts to build a clone.  So I was leaning towards the FN variant of those UID laser cut stickers.  https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/FNH-FN-America-M4-M16-UID-label-p87051886

What are people putting on these things for the MFR and part number?  Is it the PSA cage code and the PSA part number?  On the PSA website, the SKU is 16471997.  Or are guys using the FN part number along with the PSA cage code?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m16a4-stripped-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALostKey] [#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.  I got one of those PSA M16A4 lowers and a bunch of FN parts to build a clone.  So I was leaning towards the FN variant of those UID laser cut stickers.  https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/FNH-FN-America-M4-M16-UID-label-p87051886

What are people putting on these things for the MFR and part number?  Is it the PSA cage code and the PSA part number?  On the PSA website, the SKU is 16471997.  Or are guys using the FN part number along with the PSA cage code?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m16a4-stripped-lower-receiver.html
View Quote

i did the carolina laser works for my build. the psa cage is 7XC20 and the pn is 12973001

https://www.armyproperty.com/product/19200/12973001/

https://cage.report/NCAGE/7XC20

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hemiman] [#10]
Scored a COLT lower parts kit (semi) and installed it today. Just waiting on SHARKS to ship my buttstock.....Been a week now and still no tracking....I know they said they were running a little behind but damn.

The Phosphated Colt parts match much better than the newer type finish CMMG uses on their parts. For this build anyway. Happy that sans the lower, everything on this will be either FN Govt or COLT.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbgonoles] [#11]
Got my FN stock kit yesterday from Shark Arms. Very nice. Finishing up the PSA M16A4 lower with a surplus Colt M16 parts kit. I’ll get picks if and when it’s stops raining.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#12]
Regarding the BFG nsn sling, does anybody know how this thing works? Can somebody please explain it? Mine didn't come with instructions but here is where I'm at. I attached the front to the sling point under the gas block and I attached the rear to the sling point on the bottom of the A2 stock. Now the rear has two pieces and you can detach it from a buckle, I'm assuming this is where you can make a loop to sling around your arm. What I'm guessing is you can detach the buckle for slinging the loop around your arm for shooting, the you can reattach the buckle for carrying the rifle over your shoulder. My problem is I think the sling might be way too long because there's way too much slack to pull the sling tight. Am I supposed to trim the excess off until I get it fitted just right?

I will post pics of the sling to show what I'm talking about

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
A modern sling like that won't do the arm loop like an old model 1907 leather sling or an old GI web sling.  That's why it seems like it's too long.  It wasn't made to detach at the rear to act as a shooting aid.

If you want to use the sling to stabilize your shooting, leave it attached at both front and rear, hang the rifle on your body in a patrol carry, move into your shooting position (prone, standing, etc.) and just wrap your support arm through it once so that it's tight.  This is the modern sling-assisted shooting technique used with modern slings.

You might also want to look into a buttstock adapter like this one from Blue Force Gear.  That will make your rifle easier to carry with the buttstock already in position near your strong shoulder.  Practical for both patrol carry and for the modern sling-assisted shooting technique.

Once you have that set up, adjust the slack of the sling at the rear so that when the quick-adjust near the front is all the way closed, the rifle is very tight in your shoulder.  Leave the rear sling slack in place and only use the quick-adjust to give yourself the necessary slack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Artigas] [#14]
Originally Posted By wally05:

@hemiman

Blue Force Gear Rail Mount sling mount mounted on the side of the M5 RAS.  They sell them along with everything else needed for the right sling setup on Blue Force Gear's website.  There were some other ways to do it as well.
View Quote

I purchased an HK clip and looped it through the front of the sling and clipped it to the front sling swivel.  This brought the sling off to the side in a similar way to the (supposed to be) issued picatinny sling mount, with the added benefit of being easy to remove.  I also purchased my own buttstock adapter (see post above) because my armory didn't have any.  Everybody else in my unit seemed happy to let their rifles flop around upside down across their chests--at least until the armory started issuing out adapters (front and rear) again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
Regarding the BFG nsn sling, does anybody know how this thing works? Can somebody please explain it? Mine didn't come with instructions but here is where I'm at. I attached the front to the sling point under the gas block and I attached the rear to the sling point on the bottom of the A2 stock. Now the rear has two pieces and you can detach it from a buckle, I'm assuming this is where you can make a loop to sling around your arm.
View Quote

To be clear up front, I've never been issued this sling, so I'm not sure how the buckle was officially intended to be used, but in Iraq, we had a lot of incidents with Soldiers drowning in canals and rivers because of all the gear they had on, which dragged them to the bottom before they could ditch it. Our body armor was quickly updated to add the quick release (the loop that you may have seen at the top of the chest) to allow it for fall away in an emergency. A concern of mine was getting tangled up with my rifle in a similar situation, and some guys also liked to have quick disconnects so they could just unclip their rifle when carrying it slung across their chest, so I imagine those are a couple reasons why the QD buckle was added to the BFG sling.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Artigas:
A modern sling like that won't do the arm loop like an old model 1907 leather sling or an old GI web sling.  That's why it seems like it's too long.  It wasn't made to detach at the rear to act as a shooting aid.

If you want to use the sling to stabilize your shooting, leave it attached at both front and rear, hang the rifle on your body in a patrol carry, move into your shooting position (prone, standing, etc.) and just wrap your support arm through it once so that it's tight.  This is the modern sling-assisted shooting technique used with modern slings.

You might also want to look into a buttstock adapter like this one from Blue Force Gear.  That will make your rifle easier to carry with the buttstock already in position near your strong shoulder.  Practical for both patrol carry and for the modern sling-assisted shooting technique.

Once you have that set up, adjust the slack of the sling at the rear so that when the quick-adjust near the front is all the way closed, the rifle is very tight in your shoulder.  Leave the rear sling slack in place and only use the quick-adjust to give yourself the necessary slack.
View Quote
Good info. I would like to add you can insert your bicep between the adjuster tab and cinch down on it like a loop sling. I leave the rear attached and it works well
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Surefire M961 arrived today, all 25 lumens of it . FN buttstock will be here tomorrow and then it'll be done minus a sling.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creature] [#18]
Originally Posted By hemiman:
Surefire M961 arrived today, all 25 lumens of it . FN buttstock will be here tomorrow and then it'll be done minus a sling.

https://i.imgur.com/zbfn0GCl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KFWFGeol.jpg?1
View Quote
Love me some old school Surefires!  My Malkoff/M962 is a fire-breather but with very long legs.
(Please excuse the thread veer. )
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#19]
My M16A4 is a complete BCM upper
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jthrelf] [#20]
Looking to make a UID label for an FN M16A4 clone (it will likely be either Aero or PSA lower, unless I get lucky).

Can anyone confirm the FN MFG code is 3S679 and Part # is #36320 (I've also seen 36318??)?

Is it dorky to put the FN MFG code on a UID destined for a Aero or PSA?

EDIT - looks like P/N 36318 is for the FN M4?
EDIT2 - looks like Aero and PSA both have cage codes as well... so could go that route.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jthrelf:
Looking to make a UID label for an FN M16A4 clone (it will likely be either Aero or PSA lower, unless I get lucky).

Can anyone confirm the FN MFG code is 3S679 and Part # is #36320 (I've also seen 36318??)?

Is it dorky to put the FN MFG code on a UID destined for a Aero or PSA?

EDIT - looks like P/N 36318 is for the FN M4?
EDIT2 - looks like Aero and PSA both have cage codes as well... so could go that route.
View Quote

I thought the A4 part number was 12973001. And I would use the cage code for whichever lower you decide to use. Personally I'd rather have correct information on a non correct part, than incorrect information on the same part. Even without the upper, information will still match.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

I thought the A4 part number was 12973001. And I would use the cage code for whichever lower you decide to use. Personally I'd rather have correct information on a non correct part, than incorrect information on the same part. Even without the upper, information will still match.
View Quote

Agreed, I think I'm leaning towards the correct information. Appreciate your thoughts.

And you're right after some more searching - 12973001 is correct, 36320 is for the FN military collector's series.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jthrelf:
Can anyone confirm the FN MFG code is 3S679...?
View Quote

Confirmed. The FN CAGE code is what you'll see stamped on their newer A4 barrels:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

Confirmed. The FN CAGE code is what you'll see stamped on their newer A4 barrels:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FN_M16A4_Barrel_CAGE_Code_jpg-1515762.JPG
View Quote

Thanks!

I suppose I could also put BOTH cage codes... FN's and PSA's or Aero's…. so  7XC20/3S679 for example. The upper is a legit FN M16A4 upper.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my first clone AR together.  Complete upper and the buffer/stock assembly are unused FN parts.  Lower is the PSA M16A4.
I almost don't even want to call it a clone.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Got my first clone AR together.  Complete upper and the buffer/stock assembly are unused FN parts.  Lower is the PSA M16A4.
I almost don't even want to call it a clone.  

https://i.ibb.co/mDLDCHw/Screenshot-20200727-171503.png
https://i.ibb.co/2cLWnSD/Screenshot-20200727-171525.png
View Quote

Looks great. There's always something to work on and in my experience, they're never really done. At least you didn't defile it with a KAC FF RAS like I did I keep meaning to sell my M5 RAS but I know I'll want it back on someday.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSPA] [#27]
Well I’m back in the A4 game.
Decided on an Army/Aimpoint version this time.
I’m a lefty so I rotate my Aimpoints. I also hate A2 finger bumps so they get ground off.

BTW:
If anyone is looking for a new Knights M5 RAS, let me know as a local shop near me has “a bunch” as he put it.
NIB with all the panels, grip, bag, for $200.
I’m not trying to sell them as I don’t own them, I’m just letting anyone know in case they’re looking for one then let me know
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JSPA:
Well I’m back in the A4 game.
Decided on an Army/Aimpoint version this time.
I’m a lefty so I rotate my Aimpoints. I also hate A2 finger bumps so they get ground off.

https://i.imgur.com/1VxAIcr.jpg?1

BTW:
If anyone is looking for a new Knights M5 RAS, let me know as a local shop near me has “a bunch” as he put it.
NIB with all the panels, grip, bag, for $200.
I’m not trying to sell them as I don’t own them, I’m just letting anyone know in case they’re looking for one then let me know
View Quote

Oh man. My basic training rifle exactly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I forgot to add it to my post but here is a picture of the kit I bought that I mentioned before.
A few people have asked.
-Mine is marked 2006.
-Panels have Vero instead of the cage code.
-10 panels: 4 11 rib, 2 9 rib, 2 5 rib, 1 6 rib, and 1 4 rib
-KAC broom handle grip marked Titusville
-Panel storage sleeve marked Vero
-Both upper and lower rails along with the little handguard adaptor
-Top tightening bolt is a hex head on mine.
-White box with all the part numbers and such.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know of a publication that deals in the development of the A4? I know a lot of information is scattered here but is there  book? I have The black rifle I,II.

Also of interest.It appears the A4 will still be produced for Iraq, Afghanistan,Nepal and Grenada for some reason. Anyone know why they didnt go with the M4?

https://www.stripes.com/two-contractors-to-compete-for-383-million-in-m16-rifle-orders-for-afghanistan-iraq-others-1.627914
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Colt A4. Can’t decide if I want to keep it as is or put rails and an acog on it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lawman75:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125490/5AEDCBDF-C9A9-42FC-BBE9-D02617DEFBAE_jpe-1531659.JPG
Colt A4. Can’t decide if I want to keep it as is or put rails and an acog on it.
View Quote

There's an M5 in the EE
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:34:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#33]
3S679 upper will be here by the end of the week. i waited 15 years to do this one. thx to OOW for the surplus uppers. TA31F's were apparently first used back in 2002 before they retooled to the RCO-A4/M4, SO it looks like im building an early one. 2002 pic below that i found.

PSA M4A1 lower....ill be ordering the A4 shortly. i also have a SAM-R build so they will share it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

There's an M5 in the EE
View Quote

Had a set sitting in my parts box along with an old Surefire. I have a matech rear sight. I guess I need to get an ACOG.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
that cage codes means FN ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
that cage codes means FN ?
View Quote

Just the one particular CAGE code on the barrel I posted above: 3S679
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#39]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:22:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#40]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#41]
so i made it to FedEx from an hour away....in 50min, with 2min to spare....so:

#mindthewick

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

#mindthewick

https://i.ibb.co/ChFQ4Np/IMG-20200805-212322859.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that's nice.  I guess I need to get the RAS.  I keep hoping a P&S version will just fall out of the sky.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#43]

#mindthewick

View Quote

She nasty!
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#44]

#mindthewick

View Quote

Damn nice musket!! I need a barrel to finish my A4, sheesh!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#45]
so i had some accuracy issues at first, and it seems it was just.....me.

i went out tody and put my 3-12 m tactical optic on it, used a backpack and rear bag, and did much better. here is a sample of the accuracy potential of the CL,non free-floated FN M16A4 upper. After that test i threw the ACOG back on, dimmed the trition even more, and squeezed out decent groups with it. it takes some getting used to,but it can shoot.

all handloads, and proven good loads at that:

also, PSA M16A4 lower is inbound, so this one will be shelved soon

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:30:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#46]
New A4 build I did. PSA A4 lower, ALG defense trigger, FN buttstock kit from Shark Arms, FN upper from OOW, carry handle from BCM, UID label from Carolina Laser Wroks.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I can't play anymore since I sold my Vero Beach M5 RAS. I only regret it until I pick this up then remember why I did it

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FN_M16A4_Barrel_CAGE_Code_jpg-1515762.JPG
View Quote

What I got w/KAC M5. I used a FN stock (SA) and a FN BCG is was able to source.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#49]
went to the 1k range today.....got dopes all the way out, and have a new found respek for the 20". it was a full 100yds less drop using the bdc, so i actually got out to 900yds with it, easily. load was my Mk262 clone handload, using Hornady 75gr OTM Match pills. simply lovely, and i shot over 50rnds totally enjoying myself with it. i just did a quick rezero at 100 and took it out.

this is a TA31F btw.
also, my PSA lower is here, looks nice :)

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone got a clue where to find an A2/A4 profile barrel such as a Colt, FN, etc?
Page / 147
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 126 of 147)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top