Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phoenix_MB:
Sorry for my stupid question, but what does the RIS II better than the RIS II FSP?
Only saw a little quantity of pics of service men using a FSP RIS II?
I'm excited to read your points of fews and replies.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings,
View Quote

The FSP simply has a fixed front sight.  The non-FSP version has a full rail, so flip up sights are needed, or can be skipped all together if the user just wants to run an optic.

Some might see the fixed sight as an advantage in cost, and durability.

I personally see the non-FSP as a better choice because my view through the optic is not obstructed, and more importantly I can place peripheral equipment where I want them on as not to interfere with my grip.

Further, a full raill can be fully removed if disassembly is needed. Whereas an FSP version (if the muzzle is pin/welded) the barrel can be removed but is more or less stuck within the rail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Glitch

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]

BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  oh, my eyes!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got the newer RIS II, think Il keep using old trusty for awhile longer though:

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What does the military use to install RIS II rails? I am assuming it is something other then the POS DD sends with the RIS II. It has to be one of the worst wrenches I have ever used, and it bends very easy. Has anyone ever tried to harden on of the RIS II wrenches?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#6]
Originally Posted By nicholasgentges:
What does the military use to install RIS II rails? I am assuming it is something other then the POS DD sends with the RIS II. It has to be one of the worst wrenches I have ever used, and it bends very easy. Has anyone ever tried to harden on of the RIS II wrenches?
View Quote

We had our attached machine operators make this for us in Astan.  I took one down to Kuwait/Iraq with me

(sorry, for the rust, it was sitting out in the ISU90 this rainy season when I took the picture, cleaned up now)

CD
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

We had our attached machine operators make this for us in Astan.  I took one down to Kuwait/Iraq with me

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_0587_rz.jpg

(sorry, for the rust, it was sitting out in the ISU90 this rainy season when I took the picture, cleaned up now)

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CD

CD thanks for the picture that looks a hell of a lot more durable then the one DD puts out. I might have one of my friends make me one of those.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#8]
I probably used it on 6 DD M4A1 or Mk18 handguards this week alone.

CD
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]

CD
View All Quotes

CD

Daniel Defense actually makes better wrenches or at least someone makes them for them. I emailed them and they sent me out one of the "in house armorer" wrenches. Granted I literally have 6-7 RIS II style rails but their customer service is literally ABOVE and BEYOND!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
For those that have the DD marked rail covers with the RIS IIs, how are they supposed to go on?  I can't slide any on for the life of me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
For those that have the DD marked rail covers with the RIS IIs, how are they supposed to go on?  I can't slide any on for the life of me.
View Quote

They don't slide. They clip on basically. Clip the bottom on the push the top.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
Just got the newer RIS II, think Il keep using old trusty for awhile longer though:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/stukas87/DSC05419%202_zps0jhh741p.jpg
View Quote

how is the VCOG working for you??
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#13]
Old pic. In honor of Star Wars...

ETA: Well that doesn't seem to be working... Just trust me, it was an appropriate Block II pic. Will try to fix later
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Nick, I have a super beefy/hardened RIS II wrench. I'm gonna shoot you an I.M.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it worth the SBR paperwork and money for a 14.5" barrel? My FSP build is just about done, other than a pin & weld or getting it SBR'd. I'm kind of leaning towards SBR for ease of assembly/disassembly. Even though once it's together, that's how it's going to stay.

In lieu of EOTech shitting the bed, I'll probably pick up a TA31 RCO for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#16]
Originally Posted By akrox:
Is it worth the SBR paperwork and money for a 14.5" barrel? My FSP build is just about done, other than a pin & weld or getting it SBR'd. I'm kind of leaning towards SBR for ease of assembly/disassembly. Even though once it's together, that's how it's going to stay.

View Quote

SBR it. Make a 10.3" upper to go with it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#17]
Originally Posted By 10Point3:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 10Point3:
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/stukas87/DSC05419%202_zps0jhh741p.jpg

Love it.. eye relief a little bit more finicky than a 1-4 Elcan  but the 6 power and the BDC which is more true to 5.56 than a Elcan makes shooting at distance easy.
I have the 5.56 55gr BDC still pretty damn close with MK262 77gr.  And its built like a WWII tank, I have fallen down a few times with the rifle hitting the rocks it has held zero.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Bigger wrenches are nice.

Louis da best.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

<a href="http://s578.photobucket.com/user/DeltaBF2s/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_142.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/DeltaBF2s/Mobile%20Uploads/image_142.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Originally Posted By akrox:

<a href="http://s578.photobucket.com/user/DeltaBF2s/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_142.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/DeltaBF2s/Mobile%20Uploads/image_142.jpg</a>

Damn you stealth.  I see this picture and it makes me NOT want to cut down my FSP
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Block II has grown on me.  Must have.  RIS search is on!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5654/23453941439_6985a853d1_b.jpg

Bigger wrenches are nice.

Louis da best.
View Quote
Shit, I got this thread confused with the MK18 thread.

My big DD wrench is to the right of the little ones. I am pretty sure it's a factory DD wrench from way back before they made those "disposable" ones that are included with every bolt up system rail now. I think I paid around $30 for it from DD.

DSCN2977 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

That's not a BlockII. BlockIIs use the DD RIS II rail, not a modified DD M4 12.0 rail.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bradders:

That's a real M4A1 with cut out DDM4 rail from the AMU
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

That's not a BlockII. BlockIIs use the DD RIS II rail, not a modified DD M4 12.0 rail.

I didn't say it wasn't a real M4/M4A1, just that it wasn't a Block II. The Block II use a specific rail (the RIS II), which the one you posted doesn't have.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Back on topic:

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is some of Stoner25mkiv's work. I am not sone with the camo job yet.
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

A real what? Why am I looking at this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]

CD
View All Quotes

CD

Wait, isn't that just the same wrench you use to remove/tighten a buffer tube locking ring/castle nut? I haven't installed any of my DD rails in a while, so I don't remember if it's the same thing, but I know this thing is what I use to remove or install my buffer tubes. It looks very similar, if not exactly the same as what you guys are posting.

" />

If the ones in the picture above are the ones you're talking about, then yeah, they don't slide on, but mine aren't marked DD, they're marked "Ergo". Does DD own Ergo? These came with my rails, and I looked on the DD website, and not only are they exactly the same, but at the bottom of the page it says; "Manufactured by: Daniel Defence".
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:
Wait, isn't that just the same wrench you use to remove/tighten a buffer tube locking ring/castle nut? I haven't installed any of my DD rails in a while, so I don't remember if it's the same thing, but I know this thing is what I use to remove or install my buffer tubes. It looks very similar, if not exactly the same as what you guys are posting.

http://<a href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/23833171235_d54e3c8b7e_b.jpg</a>" />
If the ones in the picture above are the ones you're talking about, then yeah, they don't slide on, but mine aren't marked DD, they're marked "Ergo". Does DD own Ergo? These came with my rails, and I looked on the DD website, and not only are they exactly the same, but at the bottom of the page it says; "Manufactured by: Daniel Defence".

View All Quotes

CD

http://<a href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/23833171235_d54e3c8b7e_b.jpg</a>" />

The wrenches are similar but the dimensions are slightly different. The castle nut wrench is a little smaller I believe.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:The wrenches are similar but the dimensions are slightly different. The castle nut wrench is a little smaller I believe.  
View Quote

Well, maybe that would explain the different size on the other side?

" />
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]

What make is that wrench?
Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:The wrenches are similar but the dimensions are slightly different. The castle nut wrench is a little smaller I believe.  

Well, maybe that would explain the different size on the other side?

http://<a href=https://farm1.staticflickr.com/650/23833828695_59b0c3473c_b.jpg</a>" />

What make is that wrench?
Thanks

Lol, no idea. I just have it laying around. I bought it a while ago. Maybe try Brownells? Sorry, lol. I buy most of my stuff from Midway and Brownells, but that's all I got (I know, that really narrows it down). There are literally ZERO markings on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Gonna need some lights for my BII, what's the cheapest acceptable clone light out there?

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

Gonna need some lights for my BII, what's the cheapest acceptable clone light out there?

View Quote
Prolly WML

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By drewQ22:
Prolly WML  
View All Quotes

Prolly WML  

TLR-1?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:
TLR-1?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:

Prolly WML  

TLR-1?
Yeah that's another good option.

I also got a Surefire Mini Scout M300c from arms unlimited for 185. They took like 3 or 4 weeks to ship it though.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I was asked for a close up of the Docter sight on the SU-230 Elcan.  
So, here's one on top of a suppressed M4A1 10.3" URG.

CD
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#41]
Prolly WML  
View All Quotes

Prolly WML  

Digging the WML, probably gonna go with that, thanks.

Does it matter if I get white/infrared or just white? I see the white has a higher output.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Does it matter if I get white/infrared or just white? I see the white has a higher output.
View All Quotes

Prolly WML  

If you plan on using it w/ NODs then the IR, If you don't then I'd just get the white due to higher lumen output.

I always wondered why white/IR lights always had lower white light output if anyone knows why?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#43]

View All Quotes

Prolly WML  

Be forewarned, the WML's are junk.  They have widespread issues with the body cracking (I've also broke the selector lever off one of my IR models) and I've managed to brick two of the IR models trying to change the high/low priority (using Inforce's directions).

Link
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn. Yall just saved me some headache. So tell me about the TLR-1

Pressure switches available?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]
The WML definitely isn't anywhere near bomb proof like Surefire and Insight, but if your weapons don't see much abuse you'll most likely be fine. Just don't try to change that priority setting that jeffro did.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:41:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azoutdoorsman] [#46]

View Quote
TLR-1 HL is the best value in a weaponlight in my experience.

You can get a long gun version with pressure switch and regular toggle switch for around $150.

600 lumens, with decent throw. The beam can have some squarish shape to it at the edges, but it doesn't affect it's usefulness.

It's not really clone correct though.

The best value clone lights are probably going to be the M3x Insight lights, but their output kinda sucks.

Another option is a Surefire M951 with a drop in LED conversion. They are fairly heavy and big though.

Surefire M952V is about the same price as M3X, still with a dismal (blue) output

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quick question; are acogs kosher?  I see the TA01ecos in the text list, but not listed on the excel sheet.  I'm also pretty positive I've seen a few w/ ta31's.  I have a block 1ish, pondering doing a block 2.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#49]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:

You can get a long gun version with pressure switch and regular toggle switch for around $150.

600 lumens, with decent throw. The beam can have some squarish shape to it at the edges, but it doesn't affect it's usefulness.snip  

http://cdn2.milled.com/contents/2014-07-28/b6EQnhNTL9avWHS5/nAisQ-IbaCJr.png

The best value clone lights are probably going to be the M3x Insight lights, but their output kinda sucks.

http://www.cobratactical.com/assets/images/InsightTechGear/L-3-Insight-Tech-Gear_M3X-700-A35.jpg

Another option is a Surefire M951 with a drop in LED conversion. They are fairly heavy and big though.

http://www.armyproperty.com/images/SureFire%20M951_kit02_full.JPG

Surefire M952V is about the same price as M3X, still with a dismal (blue) output

http://closetquartermaster.com/image/cache/data/SF_M952V-TN-500x500.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:

600 lumens, with decent throw. The beam can have some squarish shape to it at the edges, but it doesn't affect it's usefulness.snip  

http://cdn2.milled.com/contents/2014-07-28/b6EQnhNTL9avWHS5/nAisQ-IbaCJr.png

http://www.cobratactical.com/assets/images/InsightTechGear/L-3-Insight-Tech-Gear_M3X-700-A35.jpg

http://www.armyproperty.com/images/SureFire%20M951_kit02_full.JPG

http://closetquartermaster.com/image/cache/data/SF_M952V-TN-500x500.jpg

Great post, thanks. Looks like besides the M951/952 that the M600V Scout in tan is also in use a decent amount? I'm looking at a 951 for $100, a 952 for $190, or a M600V in tan for $225. Spend my money Also looking at an M3X available for $140.

MILSPEC, I don't beat my stuff up on purpose, but my storage situation sometimes means all my shit is thrown in a pelican case and locked, so it does get bumped around a decent bit going to and from the range.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top