AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billytehbob:
https://i.imgur.com/dIPlskd.jpg

Nobody wants my TA33, so I’m stuck with the PA MDS for now, but I do want that sweet sweet XPS 3. Thinking of changing the MOE grip out for a standard A2 grip.
View Quote
I ordered another EXPS3-0 last night from Brownell's. Use code "M7Z" for 10% off plus free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:50:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#2]
Glitch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
glitch
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
I can't quite tell....no BUIS?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
Doesn't look like it. Some guys don't run them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:17:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#7]
@871JZ

I hear what you're saying......  And you may be right.  And yeah, the socom barrels have a reputation for better performance.  However.....  as far as durability goes.....  I'm not sure that is a problem.  I don't know if A1/A2/M4 govt's were known to be breaking.  Although the counter to that is I think they actually had a reason for making the barrel thicker on the end when the A2 was developed.  But now I don't remember what @coldblue said.  Or maybe there really wasn't a reason...  I forget.

I think the better argument is heat.  And you have to weigh the fact if you really think you're going to be shooting FA enough for that to matter.  I know CD said he had a cook off one time and I believe it was with a govt' M4.   And yeah, maybe if they made the barrels heavier under the handguards and lighter past the FSB or gas block it would help with that.

Anyways....  I'm no expert.  And maybe they would be better off with a thicker barrel.  I just didn't think they were breaking govt' barrels.  And do they really need the thicker barrel for sustained fire?  Or is it more of a CYA for an extreme case.

Now accuracy, yeah, a thicker barrel probably displays more consistent accuracy.  But there again I'm not sure a govt' profile is inaccurate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#8]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
@871JZ

I hear what you're saying......  And you may be right.  And yeah, the socom barrels have a reputation for better performance.  However.....  as far as durability goes.....  I'm not sure that is a problem.  I don't know if A1/A2/M4 govt's were known to be breaking.  Although the counter to that is I think they actually had a reason for making the barrel thicker on the end when the A2 was developed.  But now I don't remember what @coldblue said.  Or maybe there really wasn't a reason...  I forget.

I think the better argument is heat.  And you have to weigh the fact if you really think you're going to be shooting FA enough for that to matter.  I know CD said he had a cook off one time and I believe it was with a govt' M4.   And yeah, maybe if they made the barrels heavier under the handguards and lighter past the FSB or gas block it would help with that.

Anyways....  I'm no expert.  And maybe they would be better off with a thicker barrel.  I just didn't think they were breaking govt' barrels.  And do they really need the thicker barrel for sustained fire?  Or is it more of a CYA for an extreme case.

Now accuracy, yeah, a thicker barrel probably displays more consistent accuracy.  But there again I'm not sure a govt' profile is inaccurate.
View Quote
@JJREA

I think the 20" A2 barrels were made thicker past the FSB because they had some of the skinny 20" A1 profile barrels bending out towards the end. As far as I know that's how Gov't profile came along. Then they funneled down into the shorter barrel lengths, not out of necessity, but out of simplicity because that's what they already were. They simply stuck with the same profile, cut the length down, then added the M203 notch and ended up with an M4 barrel.

And durability is a concern, that's why they swapped to the heavier profiled SOCOM barrels with the M4A1. IMO, a heavier barrel profile will be better in all respects except weight. Trust me, the Gov't profiles are a step in the wrong direction.

The profile is useless. You can take a Gov't profile barrel and turn the end past the gas port down to a thinner profile and see no loss in performance. That tells me that extra weight out at the end is useless. Like I said, if you have a thicker profile, you want it BEFORE the gas port, not after it. That's just silly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone had barrel thread concentricity issues with Socom barrels? Planning to send mine off for a pin and weld and they don’t have the ability to check this. Makes me a little nervous as I plan to use a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
Has anyone had barrel thread concentricity issues with Socom barrels? Planning to send mine off for a pin and weld and they don’t have the ability to check this. Makes me a little nervous as I plan to use a suppressor.
View Quote
Is it Colt? If so you're good. I haven't heard about any thread concentricity issues with BCM SOCOM barrels either. Only Ballistic Advantage comes to mind, but i don't think they even make a true SOCOM profile bbl
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes Colt, I should have mentioned that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
As long as your pin/weld company doesn't somehow screw up your threads (minus the dimple for the pin) you'll be good to go. SOCOM has been using cans on Colt barrels for years now with no concentricity problems. Good to go as long as they do good work
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
As long as your pin/weld company doesn't somehow screw up your threads (minus the dimple for the pin) you'll be good to go. SOCOM has been using cans on Colt barrels for years now with no concentricity problems. Good to go as long as they do good work
View All Quotes
I was going to ask the same question since I just sent my Form 4 for my SOCOM RC. ADCO did my pin/weld so I'm confident that shouldn't be an issue.

I will still get a suppressor alignment gage to double check once my suppressor arrives. Small price to pay to avoid dealing with a baffle or end cap strike .
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Cook offs are different than barrel life.  Any weapon system will have cook offs if it's not cooled properly (however that's defined for the particular system).  The issue with the M4 profile barrels was the failure of the barrel because the profile was reaching a brittle state too fast after firing a sustained number of rounds.  The concern was after a sustained combat load expended, the barrel was now put into a weaker structural condition because of the profile.  Colt even has a video of this on the internets showing that the barrel ruptures (though I think it was some significant number of rounds past a combat load, but it's been a while since I've seen the video).

With the SOCOM profile, there's more material behind the gas block/FSP to absorb the heat, so it lasts longer and doesn't rupture under sustained fire.

Does this matter to most of us here?  Of course not, but that's the thinking as I've understood it.  Anecdotally, I've found my government profile barrel to be exceedingly average with Federal M193 while my SOCOM barrel was noticeably more accurate.  But a datum does not equal data.  What I do appreciate about the SOCOM barrel is the reduced POI shift with a suppressor.  It still has a shift (on mine, anyway), but it's not as dramatic.  Even with my government profile 10.3" barrels (so shorter with less torque by the suppressor), shift can be pretty notable at 200y (and obviously beyond).
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Getting there.  Gonna have to deal with the Griffen NT4 for a little while y'all.  Government shut down has clone money on hold.

Fast Incapacitating Sniper assaulT Rifle: FISTR

Ima pitch it to the Army when they let me go back to work!
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

View Quote
This. No worries with a Colt barrel. Really, I would hope that any modern day barrel manufacturer would cut their threads concentric to the bore. That's just part of making a quality barrel. Plus, they know there's more guys now then ever running cans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gatordev:

Cook offs are different than barrel life.  Any weapon system will have cook offs if it's not cooled properly (however that's defined for the particular system).  The issue with the M4 profile barrels was the failure of the barrel because the profile was reaching a brittle state too fast after firing a sustained number of rounds.  The concern was after a sustained combat load expended, the barrel was now put into a weaker structural condition because of the profile.  Colt even has a video of this on the internets showing that the barrel ruptures (though I think it was some significant number of rounds past a combat load, but it's been a while since I've seen the video).

With the SOCOM profile, there's more material behind the gas block/FSP to absorb the heat, so it lasts longer and doesn't rupture under sustained fire.

Does this matter to most of us here?  Of course not, but that's the thinking as I've understood it.  Anecdotally, I've found my government profile barrel to be exceedingly average with Federal M193 while my SOCOM barrel was noticeably more accurate.  But a datum does not equal data.  What I do appreciate about the SOCOM barrel is the reduced POI shift with a suppressor.  It still has a shift (on mine, anyway), but it's not as dramatic.  Even with my government profile 10.3" barrels (so shorter with less torque by the suppressor), shift can be pretty notable at 200y (and obviously beyond).
View Quote
You're not alone in your experience of a SOCOM barrel being more accurate than your Gov't profile. All my SOCOM barrels, including one that "technically" should've been toast by now, are more accurate than any of the Gov't barrels I've owned. I think I'm down to only one Gov't barrel left. They've all been replaced with SOCOM's.

Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
Getting there.  Gonna have to deal with the Griffen NT4 for a little while y'all.  Government shut down has clone money on hold.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-20_13_22_22-426224.jpg

Fast Incapacitating Sniper assaulT Rifle: FISTR
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-20_13_30_39-426233.jpg
Ima pitch it to the Army when they let me go back to work!
View Quote
That Griffin is blashphemy! You want me to send you an A2 so you can continue to participate in here?

Looks great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice. Issued gun or personal owned? I'm diggin the Colt lower wear. (Real wear instead of throw down driveway)

Nice setup man
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#20]
Very nice. Issued gun or personal owned? I'm diggin the Colt lower wear. (Real wear instead of throw down driveway)

Nice setup man
View All Quotes

Nice setup man
Did someone say driveway?

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice setup man
View All Quotes

Nice setup man
Issued to a former teammate in 2nd MSOB.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By McGoo:
View All Quotes

Nice setup man
How'd your upper run on it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Nice setup man
Very nice. Kind of cool to see them stripped down in more basic form once in a while, instead of 30 lbs of shit hanging off it. Like a KISS Block 2. I can dig it
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
...the increased barrel diameter on the muzzle end of the M16A2 was all we needed to prevent a wide spread M16A1 issue with bent barrels during Armorer inspections with the drop gauge. Then the improved cooling air flow of the  M16A2 round handguards moved the rifle's cook-off point further north...so there was no objective reason to make the barrel's mid-section any thicker/heavier...
View Quote
Thank you again.

CD
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
...the increased barrel diameter on the muzzle end of the M16A2 was all we needed to prevent a wide spread M16A1 issue with bent barrels during Armorer inspections with the drop gauge.
View Quote
Sir, is there any truth to the rumor that those bent barrels came from folks using bayonets to cut crate strapping and the like?  If not, why were the barrels bending?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Zero’d the RIS II FSP today.

Got the irons dialed in and an Aimpoint PRO for now.

Loaded up some 77gr stuff and shot 5rd groups at 100yds. I should have used a different target for this since I was using a red dot. I was gussing where the “bullseye” was on the corner shots.  But I’m pretty happy with the results.

77gr Norma Match

Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr

556 Black Hills mk262 77gr

223 Rem Black Hills 77gr

Freedom 55gr Amax Special Sauce.  Barely cycles the bolt enough to function. Super soft recoil
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#28]

Loaded up some 77gr stuff and shot 5rd groups at 100yds. I should have used a different target for this since I was using a red dot. I was gussing where the “bullseye” was on the corner shots.  But I’m pretty happy with the results.

77gr Norma Match
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-21_12_26_00-427117.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-21_12_26_09-427119.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-21_12_26_15-427120.jpg
223 Rem Black Hills 77gr
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-21_12_26_26-427121.jpg
Freedom 55gr Amax Special Sauce.  Barely cycles the bolt enough to function. Super soft recoil
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-21_12_26_34-427122.jpg
View Quote
Good results, especially with the Freedom. That's a factory load direct from them? Also, what barrel are you running? I would guess a SOCOM with those groups.

My SOCOM's tend to shoot MK262 lights out. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#29]
...the increased barrel diameter on the muzzle end of the M16A2 was all we needed to prevent a wide spread M16A1 issue with bent barrels during Armorer inspections with the drop gauge. Then the improved cooling air flow of the  M16A2 round handguards moved the rifle's cook-off point further north...so there was no objective reason to make the barrel's mid-section any thicker/heavier...
View Quote
That's what I thought. I mentioned that they were bending.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:
Good results, especially with the Freedom. That's a factory load direct from them? Also, what barrel are you running? I would guess a SOCOM with those groups.

View All Quotes

77gr Norma Match
223 Rem Black Hills 77gr

The Freedom is years old pretty sure I got them at my shop in like 2013/2014.  It was factory loaded from them, I bought 3boxes (50rds each) and it has always shot well.  I think they called it AMAX Match?

Running a new (2017) SOCOM barrel.  When I was zeroing the irons my first two 3 round groups were about 1" (first 6 shots out of the barrel) After that you could cover them with a dime.  I'd like to shoot it again with a better optic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#31]
The Freedom is years old pretty sure I got them at my shop in like 2013/2014.  It was factory loaded from them, I bought 3boxes (50rds each) and it has always shot well.  I think they called it AMAX Match?

Running a new (2017) SOCOM barrel.  When I was zeroing the irons my first two 3 round groups were about 1" (first 6 shots out of the barrel) After that you could cover them with a dime.  I'd like to shoot it again with a better optic.
View All Quotes

77gr Norma Match
223 Rem Black Hills 77gr

That's awesome, man. My experience with all my SOCOM barrels mirrors yours. Those things are tack drivers and capable of 1/2 MOA if everything is right.

And I'll look that ammo up and see if they still offer it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#32]

View Quote
I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was not from normal use.

But indeed you have no arguments from me about precision.  I have an M4 style barrel but HBAR and it has shown better precision than the skinnier barrels.   Maybe even more importantly, less POI shift between loads.  That being said.... that's going to be normal.  That's why bolt action precision rifles have heavier barrels.   But they are....  heavier to lug around.   There is always a payment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#33]
I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was not from normal use.

But indeed you have no arguments from me about precision.  I have an M4 style barrel but HBAR and it has shown better precision than the skinnier barrels.   Maybe even more importantly, less POI shift between loads.  That being said.... that's going to be normal.  That's why bolt action precision rifles have heavier barrels.   But they are....  heavier to lug around.   There is always a payment.
View All Quotes

I would hope they weren't bending under normal use. Lol. But seriously, I seem to remember reading something years ago about guys bending them with bayonets attached. Can't remember exactly what they were doing, but I think it was something to do with bayo's. Could be wrong, though.

And you're right about the heavy profile barrels being more accurate. Rigidity equals better accuracy in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]
Waiting on the next range day to try this FN 10.3" SOCOM bbl out.  Got some M855, M855A1 and Mk262 loaded in mags.  Short, heavy and FAT!

FN and cut down Crane Govt Profile 10.3"
Attachment Attached File

Upper parts
Attachment Attached File

Completed on select fire lower with Geissele SSF trigger.
Attachment Attached File

CD

Since thread title doesn't specify bbl length....
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Waiting on the next range day to try this FN10.3" SOCOM bbl out.  Got some M855, M855A1 and Mk262 loaded in mags.  Short, heavy and FAT!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4690_rz-428168.JPG

Upper parts
View Quote
That FN 10.3 SOCOM should be a tack driver. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Upper parts
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4691_rz-428170.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Waiting on the next range day to try this FN10.3" SOCOM bbl out.  Got some M855, M855A1 and Mk262 loaded in mags.  Short, heavy and FAT!

Upper parts

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4696_rz-428171.JPG

CD
View Quote
Just how I like em!! Wait.....what?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#38]

That FN 10.3 SOCOM should be a tack driver. I like it.
View Quote
Think I'll have to throw on a Elcan to test it.  Only have 50m max on range right now however

CD
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Waiting on the next range day to try this FN 10.3" SOCOM bbl out.  Got some M855, M855A1 and Mk262 loaded in mags.  Short, heavy and FAT!

Upper parts

CD

View Quote
That FN is phat!  I wonder if they make a 14.5 barrel like that 10.3?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Upper parts

CD

They do. If you remember, FN and Colt shared the most recent M4A1 contract, with FN getting the majority. Anyways, those guns come with the SOCOM profile barrel per the M4A1 specs
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#41]

They do. If you remember, FN and Colt shared the most recent M4A1 contract, with FN getting the majority. Anyways, those guns come with the SOCOM profile barrel per the M4A1 specs
View Quote
Cool.  It may be my next barrel
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Think I'll have to throw on a Elcan to test it.  Only have 50m max on range right now however

CD
View Quote
ooooooo, looking forward to that range report.  Is this a NEW way of doing things?  I thought I remember you saying Mk18 / CQBR's were all govt' profile...........  Although I don't go in that thread overly often.  I'll go in there, get stuck on all the beautiful builds, wish I had an extra 200 to do a stamp, and then another 1k to start building one, drool some more and then avoid it for a while.  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:
https://i.imgur.com/dIPlskd.jpg

Nobody wants my TA33, so I'm stuck with the PA MDS for now, but I do want that sweet sweet XPS 3. Thinking of changing the MOE grip out for a standard A2 grip.
View Quote
@billytehbob yes I do; depending on the reticle. I have a T1 on a Geissele mount with your name on it if that's your thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#44]

ooooooo, looking forward to that range report.  Is this a NEW way of doing things?  I thought I remember you saying Mk18 / CQBR's were all govt' profile...........  Although I don't go in that thread overly often.  I'll go in there, get stuck on all the beautiful builds, wish I had an extra 200 to do a stamp, and then another 1k to start building one, drool some more and then avoid it for a while.  LOL.
View Quote
I did say that before I got these last month.  These new barrels as you can see on the packaged are dated 06/17.  I would say 99.95% of the guns still have the Govt profiles on them however.  We've built two with the new barrels so far.

CD
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone aware of the best price on a Elcan fde dr 5.56? I swear I found a place with them in stock at $2000 but can’t find it again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#46]

I would hope they weren't bending under normal use. Lol. But seriously, I seem to remember reading something years ago about guys bending them with bayonets attached. Can't remember exactly what they were doing, but I think it was something to do with bayo's. Could be wrong, though.

And you're right about the heavy profile barrels being more accurate. Rigidity equals better accuracy in my experience.
View Quote
I'd read the bent barrels was from using the original three prong flash hider to break the steel bands on ammo box.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1/nra-lifetime-membership-415608.jpg

The NRA life memberships are on sale until March 15th at $600. This gets you a vote for your board members every year.

For those who are upset with the NRA, it is the only organization with the power to enact massive changes and protect our freedoms. The way to fix the NRA is the same way to fix this country, VOTE! The more of us with a voice, the stronger changes we can enact. This is a chance to get yourself or your spouse a membership and an extra vote. Expand our base and vote in pro-black rifle board members who will represent our interests!!!!

Head to this link to sign up!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1/nra-lifetime-membership-415608.jpg

The NRA life memberships are on sale until March 15th at $600. This gets you a vote for your board members every year.

For those who are upset with the NRA, it is the only organization with the power to enact massive changes and protect our freedoms. The way to fix the NRA is the same way to fix this country, VOTE! The more of us with a voice, the stronger changes we can enact. This is a chance to get yourself or your spouse a membership and an extra vote. Expand our base and vote in pro-black rifle board members who will represent our interests!!!!

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top